51. Guest
52. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,873

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Help requires to set up 3 new tanks.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Help requires to set up 3 new tanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EHTESHAM
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:37 pm Post subject: Help requires to set up 3 new tanks. Reply with quote

Hello  Everyone.

I'm  willing  to  set  three  12  feet  concrete  tanks  for  my  oscars  Very Happy  .  The  size  I'm  thinking  is  12'  x  02'  x  02'.  I  want  to  use  glass  at  the  front.  but  don't  think  I  would  be  able  to  use  a  single  piece  of  glass  in  these  huge  tank  (only  12  mm  glass  are  available  here).  so  should  I  use  2'  x1'  x  1'  glass  pieces  at  the  front?  if  so  then  how  I  would  be  able  to  fix  all  the  glasses  on  concrete  wall?

How  can  I  ensure  that  there  will  be  no  water  leakage  from  these  tanks?  should  I  use  soft  plastic  shits  before  using  the  concrete?  Or  any  other  idea?

I'm  also  worried  about  the  right  filtering  and  lighting  system  for  these  tanks.

So  please  help  me  out,  please.  I  really  need  your  help  and  support.  :thumbup:

Regards

Ehtesham.
sid_p
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:14 pm Post subject: Re: Help requires to set up 3 new tanks. Reply with quote

Can  you  please  elaborate  why  such  an  unusually  large  length  for  the  tank   :unsure:

A  glass  piece  cant  be  2'  x1'  x  1'  in  size.  That  would  be  one  solid  block  of  Glass  Smile
Frank
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:44 pm Post subject: Re: Help requires to set up 3 new tanks. Reply with quote

Hi  Ehtesham,

I've  tried  to  start  off  with  the  same  idea  that  you  are  trying  to  do.  but  since  i  had  no  solution  to  completely  sealing  the  glass  onto  the  cement,  i  have  opted  for  concrete  tanks  with  visibility  only  from  the  top.

You  can  try  to  make  a  smaller  tank  as  a  trial.

First  of  all  complete  the  three  walls  along  with  the  base  with  a  groove  to  slide  the  glass  from  above.
 Before  sliding  in  the  glass  give  it  a  steel  bracing  to  ensure  that  irregularities  in  the  cement  wont  crack  the  glass  resulting  in  a  leakage.  then  seal  the  steel  to  the  groove..
 This  way,  the  glass  is  sealed  to  the  steel  brace  and  the  steel  brace  is  sealed  to  the  concrete.

After  all  this  is  done,  you  will  have  to  find  some  way  to  seal  all  the  three  media  together  to  further  ensure  sealing.

If  you  are  going  to  start  off  with  this  project,  share  the  step  by  step  procedure  with  pictures  as  this  may  help  a  lot  of  people  who  are  thinking  of  doing  the  same..

All  the  best.

Regards,
 Frank...
Frank
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:47 pm Post subject: Re: Help requires to set up 3 new tanks. Reply with quote

EHTESHAM  wrote  (View  Post):                
(only  12  mm  glass  are  available  here).  so  should  I  use  2'  x1'  x  1'  glass  pieces  at  the  front?                

please  elaborate  this  part.
mandragoran
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:17 pm Post subject: Re: Help requires to set up 3 new tanks. Reply with quote

soft  plastic  what?
Frank
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:37 pm Post subject: Re: Help requires to set up 3 new tanks. Reply with quote

I  hope  he  meant  sheets..  Chuckle
p_crazy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:47 am Post subject: Re: Help requires to set up 3 new tanks. Reply with quote

glass  can  be  attached  to  concrete.of  course  my  tank  is  a  tiled  one  but  the  glass  was  fitted  with  the  concrete  before  the  tiling.  not  sure  what  material  they  used.white  cement  and  a  dr  fixit  product.  and  then  after  tiling  ,i  applied  a  film  of  silicon  in  the  glass-tile  interface.

@frank,i  think  visibility  from  the  side  is  a  lot  better  than  from  the  top.what  say?

here  is  a  pic  of  about  a  year  ago..when  i  was  cycling  the  tank.
Frank
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:08 pm Post subject: Re: Help requires to set up 3 new tanks. Reply with quote

p_crazy  wrote  (View  Post):                

@frank,i  think  visibility  from  the  side  is  a  lot  better  than  from  the  top.what  say?

visibility  is  a  lot  more  better  than  what  you  see  from  above..  i  agree..

It  would  be  well  and  good  if  you  could  share  the  steps  involved  in  the  construction  of  the  tank  here..  so,  then,  i  could  also  give  it  a  try..

Regards,
 Frank...
EHTESHAM
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:20 pm Post subject: Re: Help requires to set up 3 new tanks. Reply with quote

Hello  everyone.

Firstly,  SORRY  for  my  last  silence.  I  had  an  accident  and  thats  why  I  could  not  be  able  to  go  through  IAH  last  few  days.  I'm  grateful  to  all  of  you  for  your  expert  suggestions.

I  couldn't  manage  to  do  experiment  with  the  bigger  tank  but  I  tried  to  make  a  small  model  of  it  in  the  mean  time.  I  got  a  bit  of  success  with  it  but  not  sure  whether  its  gonna  work  on  the  12  footers  or  not.

I  tried  with  bricks.  Made  a  2x2x2  size  tank.  Kept  the  front  side  open.  I  bought  a  2x1  size  5  mm  glass  with  a  aluminium  box  holder  for  it.  Then  used  silicon  against  all  the  borders  of  the  holder.  I  fixed  this  complete  glass  part  on  the  concrete.  Iput  the  glass  part  on  the  upper  front  side  of  the  tank  and  after  a  5  days  break  pour  water  up  to  22  inches.  Till  now  the  glass  is  OK.  I  just  left  the  whole  thing  under  sunlight  these  5  days  on  my  roof.

My  labor  and  his  helper  also  used  a  kind  of  powder  (local  name  is  "Patloon")  on  the  brick  part  to  take  extra  step  against  water  lick-age  through  the  bricks.  I  did  not  use  the  regular  bigger  "ciptin"  (the  broken  small  pieces  of  bricks)  in  the  mixture  of  the  concrete,  but  the  tinny  kind  (2-3  mm  size)  to  avoid  unnecessary  irregularities  of  the  concrete.

I'm  going  to  wait  for  at  least  one  month  (with  a  cross  finger)  to  see  whether  the  glass  and  the  aluminium  holder  can  hold  the  water  pressure  or  not.

(Sorry,  I  do  not  have  any  digital  camera  right  now  so  can't  give  any  pics.  Going  to  have  one  sooner.)

Regards

Ehtesham.

Frank  wrote  (View  Post):                

p_crazy  wrote  (View  Post):                

visibility  is  a  lot  more  better  than  what  you  see  from  above..  i  agree..

It  would  be  well  and  good  if  you  could  share  the  steps  involved  in  the  construction  of  the  tank  here..  so,  then,  i  could  also  give  it  a  try..

Regards,
 Frank...

random2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:11 am Post subject: Re: Help requires to set up 3 new tanks. Reply with quote

Maybe  you  guys  should  look  into  this  thread  ->  http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=15477

And  also  Madan's  tank  (though  it  was  not  built  of  concrete).
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: