123. Guest
124. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,423

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Width for a 3 feet length tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Width for a 3 feet length tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Other Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:13 pm Post subject: Width for a 3 feet length tank Reply with quote

Hi  IAH  members,

Need  your  valuable  suggestions  on  this.

Planning  to  build  a  3  feet  tank.  Was  planning  for  the  following  specs.

Length   -  3  feet
 Width      -  2  feet
 Height   -  20  inch

Confusion  on  what  width  should  I  choose..  Is  2  feet  width  is  okay  for  a  3  feet  long  tank  or  should  I  reduce  the  width?  Let  me  know  the  valuable  suggestion  on  this.....
Anandarajkumar
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:17 pm Post subject: Re: Width for a 3 feet length tank Reply with quote

Hi  Shelly,

Technically  there  wont  be  any  problem  with  width.  If  you  can  afford  the  space  and  substrate,  I  hope  there  should  not  be  any  problem.  

Stand?

Regards
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:30 pm Post subject: Re: Width for a 3 feet length tank Reply with quote

@  Anand,

I  was  actually  looking  at  the  appearance  aspect.  3  feet  length  and  2  feet  width,  would  the  aquarium  look  proportional?

Stand  would  be  a  hard  wood  stand.

This  is  actually  a  gift  to  my  sister's  new  flat.  So  they  are  planning  to  make  the  stand  with  the  same  material  that  they  are  planning  to  make  the  modular  kitchen  (Custom  built)!!!
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:37 pm Post subject: Re: Width for a 3 feet length tank Reply with quote

personally  i  would  prefer  the  width  to  be  a  lil  less  than  2  feet.  it  gives  u  the  width  to  scape  for  a  planted  tank  and  the  height  i  prefer  a  1.5  ft  cos  i  really  dont  like  tall  tanks.

my  55  is  actually  a  56  gl  custom  build.  36(L)x20(W)x18(H).
garfield1967
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:01 pm Post subject: Re: Width for a 3 feet length tank Reply with quote

I  would  tend  to  agree  with  Zakk....a  width  (from  front  to  back)  of  less  than  2  feet  would  look  better,  maybe  18"  or  there  abouts,  but  then  its  a  matter  of  individual  preference  I  guess.   What's  the  height  that  you  have  in  mind?  Depending  on  the  height  at  which  the  tank  is  going  to  be  placed  from  floor  level,it  can  be  bothersome  reaching  in  the  inside  of  the  tank  with  your  bare  hands  if  the  height  of  the  tank  is  more  than,  say,  18  inches.
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:46 pm Post subject: Re: Width for a 3 feet length tank Reply with quote

The  greater  the  width,  the  more  volume  of  the  tank  (and  more  surface  area)  and  more  stable  tank-parameters  and  hence  more  stocking  options.

Unlike  increasing  the  height,  increasing  the  width  does  not  have  as  significant  impact  on  the  thickness  of  the  glass  (and  hence  the  cost).

If  space  is  not  a  constraint,  I  would  strongly  recommend  going  as  wide  and  as  tall  as  practical  to  maintain  (20  inch  height  should  be  OK).

If  you  can,  compare  the  looks  of   a  2ft  to  a  1.5  ft  width  tank  from  the  ones  available  at  the  store.  It  should  convince  you  2ft  is  better  :)

(Also,  if  this  tank  is  going  to  be  visible  from  the  sides  as  well,  going  for  2ft  wide  tank  should  be  an  easy  decision.)  

Cheers,
 Sid
p_crazy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:30 pm Post subject: Re: Width for a 3 feet length tank Reply with quote

2ft  wide  would  be  great  for  the  fishes,may  make  the  tank  look  shorter  than  it  actually  is,but  id  still  go  with  the  extra  width.
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:36 pm Post subject: Re: Width for a 3 feet length tank Reply with quote

If  its  a  planted  tank  3'X18"X18"  is  best.

If  its  going  to  be  fish  only,  then  research  the  fish  and  arrive  at  the  size.

A  3X181X18  tank  will  weigh  approx  250  KGS,  bigger  tanks  will  weigh  more,  so  make  sure  the  stand  can  take  the  weight.

I  would  advice  on  gifting  a  small  aquarium  to  some  one  staying  in  a  flat.  A  big  one  will  simply  use  up  too  much  space.   More  over  a  large  tank  weighs  a  lot  and  you  will  need  to  keep  it  in  a  place  that  can  take  the  load  of  the  tank!
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:37 pm Post subject: Re: Width for a 3 feet length tank Reply with quote

@  Zakk,

The  reason  I  choose  20"  height  is  that  the  stem  plants  at  the  background  will  look  good  when  it  grows  in  height.  

Initially  I  planned  2'  in  height.  Then  I  made  it  to  20"  as  T5  light  would  not  penetrate  enough  in  2'  tank.  Or  else,  I  would  have  to  go  for  MH,  which  would  give  out  more  heat!!!!

@  garfield1967,

20".  Initially  thought  for  24"  then  reduced  to  20"  (Because  of  light  penetration-  mentioned  above)

@  Sidrock

"The  greater  the  width,  the  more  volume  of  the  tank  (and  more  surface  area)  and  more  stable  tank-parameters  and  hence  more  stocking  options."

"More  Stocking  options"..  This  is  the  reason  I  though  of  going  for  24"..  But  though  I  would  take  suggestion  from  IAH  members....  :)

I  had  planned  to  take  my  brother-in-law  to  a  LFS  to  show  how  the  2'  width  tank  would  look  like!!!!
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:14 pm Post subject: Re: Width for a 3 feet length tank Reply with quote

i  think  thats  a  good  opton  you  should  go  for  it   Thumb Up
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:56 pm Post subject: Re: Width for a 3 feet length tank Reply with quote

More  surface  area  will  translate  to  better  oxygenation  of  water.  The  volume  of  water  will  determine  the  stability.  Larger  surface  area  will  also  mean  more  lighting  to  cover  the  entire  foot  print  of  the  tank.
mandragoran
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:59 pm Post subject: Re: Width for a 3 feet length tank Reply with quote

When  it  comes  to  aquascaping,  most  folks  try  to  make  the  tank  seem  deeper  (front  to  back).  The  more  width  you  have,  the  more  you  can  develop  this  sense  of  depth.  Go  for  2'  width.
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:42 pm Post subject: Re: Width for a 3 feet length tank Reply with quote

mandragoran  wrote  (View  Post):                
When  it  comes  to  aquascaping,  most  folks  try  to  make  the  tank  seem  deeper  (front  to  back).  The  more  width  you  have,  the  more  you  can  develop  this  sense  of  depth.  Go  for  2'  width.                

I  totally  agree  with  this...
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:27 am Post subject: Re: Width for a 3 feet length tank Reply with quote

Hi  All,

I  think  I  will  go  for  2'  width,  as  most  of  the  members  have  suggested  2'.   Smile   Smile   Smile  

Thanks  for  all  the  suggestions  provided.
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:21 am Post subject: Re: Width for a 3 feet length tank Reply with quote

All  depends  on  the  place.  See  what  will  do  real  justice  to  the  place  where  you  are  going  to  keep  the  tank,  from  where  it  will  be  viewed,  and  what  size  would  look  best.

I  would  actually  look  at  a  3feet  long  by  2  feet  wide  by  3  feet  tall  tank.  Would  look  awesome.  The  front  will  actually  be  a  square,  and  will  look  like  a  cube  if  you  are  going  to  conceal  the  sides.  

Just  my  opinion,  what  you  like  is  absolutely  up  to  you,  as  its  based  a  lot  on  personal  preferences!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Other Equipment All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: