183. Guest
184. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,750

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - How many fishes have you killed so far?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

How many fishes have you killed so far?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:27 pm Post subject: How many fishes have you killed so far? Reply with quote

Friends,
 This  topic  surfaced  in  my  mind  when  I  recently  lost  a  fish  due  to  a  heater  malfunction.I  kept  wondering  about  how  many  poor  fishy  friends  died  after  my  leap  into  this  hobby  a  couple  of  decades  ago!
 Websites  like  IAH  certainly  made  a  difference!Nowadays  hobbyists  are  extremely  well  informed  and  really  do  not  have  to  depend  on  the  horrid  local  fish  shops  for  information.
 Well  it  is  not  about  the  normal  mortality  cases  but  the  ones  for  which  our  carelessness,lack  of  knowledge  and  equipment  malfunctions  are  responsible!
 How  can  we  ensure  that  everybody  entering  this  hobby  gains  the  requisite  knowledge  before  laying  hands  on  anything  live?
 Do  we  really  take  moral  responsibility  for  all  the  deaths?
 Eagerly  awaiting  responses  from  your  side!
 Regards
 Swarnendu
crazzyarchh
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:21 pm Post subject: Re: How many fishes have you killed so far? Reply with quote

@Swarnendu..
 no  one  likes  to  purchase  fish  and  kill  them...yes  they  die  by  mistake  or  carelessness  but  not  by  intent...
 and  doest  it  really  matter  as  to  how  many  fishes  we  have  'killed'  or  lost....does  it  make  any  difference  now??
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:10 am Post subject: Re: How many fishes have you killed so far? Reply with quote

crazzyarchh  wrote  (View  Post):                

no  one  likes  to  purchase  fish  and  kill  them...
 and  doest  it  really  matter  as  to  how  many  fishes  we  have  'killed'  or  lost....does  it  make  any  difference  now??                

It  does!
 Definitely  it  does!
 More  so,when  during  visits  to  my  lfs,I  find  parents  wanting  to  buy  their  child  their  first  aquarium!Reminds  me  how  ignorant  I  was  and  in  some  respects  I  still  am  about  fishes!
 It  is  not  about  intent  but  about  the  outcome  that  really  matters!We  are  dealing  here  with  lives  and  not  gadgets  that  can  be  repaired!
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:19 am Post subject: Re: How many fishes have you killed so far? Reply with quote

aquarius  wrote  (View  Post):                

no  one  likes  to  purchase  fish  and  kill  them...

It  does!
 Definitely  it  does!
 More  so,when  during  visits  to  my  lfs,I  find  parents  wanting  to  buy  their  child  their  first  aquarium!Reminds  me  how  ignorant  I  was  and  in  some  respects  I  still  am  about  fishes!
 It  is  not  about  intent  but  about  the  outcome  that  really  matters!We  are  dealing  here  with  lives  and  not  gadgets  that  can  be  repaired!                

I  fully  agree  here.  More  over,  its  Bad  KARMA!
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:31 am Post subject: Re: How many fishes have you killed so far? Reply with quote

Fantastic!
 This  is  precisely  how  all  non  vegetarian  brahmins  in  my  circle  defend  their  dietary  choice!
 Blame  it  on  BAD  KARMA!
nvj1
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:20 am Post subject: Re: How many fishes have you killed so far? Reply with quote

It's  only  been  about  15  months  of  fish  keeping  for  me  personally.  The  casualties  are:

3  small  oscars:  The  tank  was  in  a  darker  part  of  the  room.  The  tank  had  no  hood  or  light.  I  was  busy  with  exams  and  wasn't  paying  much  attention  to  the  tank-only  feeding.  I  hadn't  noticed  that  the  tank  had  Ich  until  it  was  too  late.  All  the  Oscars  in  the  tank  died.  But  I  was  able  to  rescue  a  Green  Terror,  Convict  and  a  pleco.

1  P.Socolofi(Albino)  that  was  stuck  between  the  sponge  filter  and  the  glass.  I  didn't  notice  it  till  the  tank  started  stinking.  I  arranged  the  filter  so  that  fish  couldn't  get  inside  the  space  between  them.  2  days  later  tank  started  smelling  again  and  a  maingano  was  dead  the  same  way.  

Now  there  is  a  big  gap  between  them  so  that  fishes  won't  get  stuck.  I  also  made  a  list  of  the  malawis  I  had  in  my  tank(name  and  no  of  them).  I  check  the  list  every  day  during  feeding  time  and  see  if  there's  any  missing

There  have  been  fishes  that  died  on  me  within  a  couple  of  days  of  buying  them.  THen,  there  have  been  a  lot  of  guppies  and  convict  fry  feeders.

My  brother  had  been  in  fish  keeping  before.  I  started  it  cause  after  he  moved  out  there  was  a  big  empty  tank  in  my  room  for  2  years.  I  got  addicted  to  fish  keeping  after  I  started  it...  No  basic  mistakes  cos  I  used  to  help  my  bro  around  when  he  had  the  tank
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:32 am Post subject: Re: How many fishes have you killed so far? Reply with quote

nvj1  wrote  (View  Post):                
 No  basic  mistakes  cos  I  used  to  help  my  bro  around  when  he  had  the  tank                

There  you  are!
 Apprenticeship  really  helps.It  drastically  brings  down  the  basic  mistakes  committed  by  beginners.
 Of  course  not  everyone  is  that  lucky.
crazzyarchh
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:12 pm Post subject: Re: How many fishes have you killed so far? Reply with quote

@Swarnendu..
 I  dont  get  the  point  of  sulking  over  the  fish  you  have  'killed'  (in  your  words)  &  'lost'  (in  my  words)....
 yes  u  can  share  your  experience  with  people  who  are  new  to  this  hobby  and  hence  prevent  them  from  making  mistakes,  but  u  got  to  remember  that  no  1  is  killing  fishes  here,  so  i  suggest  you  change  the  name  of  the  post.
 I  do  agree  with  the  point  that  life  of  every  organism  is  precious  and  we  do  not  have  the  right  to  play  with  it.
 I  dont  think  that  a  new  hobbyist  who  lost  a  few  fish  because  he  was  misinformed  by  the  LFS  should  take  any  moral  responsibility  for  the  deaths,  one  must  remember  that  he  did  not  wantonly  kill  them.
 on  the  other  hand  if  some  one  keeps  10  goldfish  in  a  10  gallon  tank  he  should  be  held  responsible  for  KILLING  them.
 I  hope  u  get  my  point..
Amazonian2010
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:47 pm Post subject: Re: How many fishes have you killed so far? Reply with quote

Guys  last  Saturday  I  and  one  of  my  friend  went  to  bring  some  fishes  from  few  IAHians  and  on  the  way  we  lost  1  purple  emperor  and  2  blue  tetra  due  to  bad  packing  of  the  plastic  packs.

We  were  so  sad   Crying or Very sad  The  moment  we  got  the  fishes  I  told  my  friend  that  the  packing  was  not  correct  and  it  is  having  less  oxygen  in  the  pack  (  we  had  some  12  lemon,6  neon  etc  in  the  same  pack)  and  by  the  time  we  reached  the  regimental  Bazaar  one  was  down.  Then  I  requested  one  LFS  person  to  pack  it  properly  with  oxygen  but  by  the  time  we  came  back  home  we  had  2  more  down.

We  were  so  sad  and  not  due  to  we  spent  money  on  them  but  we  lost  three  lives  in  the  process  and  they  couldn't  make  it  till  the  wonderful  setup  that  my  friend  had  done  for  them.  

Rest  are  healthy  and  playing  around.  

Raj.
mmb19000
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:03 pm Post subject: Re: How many fishes have you killed so far? Reply with quote

Killed  and  died  both  are  different  things...As  a  hobbyist  we  always  try  to  give  longer  life...but  its  happens..once  due  to  my  negligence  i  lost  my  few  chichlids.
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:37 pm Post subject: Re: How many fishes have you killed so far? Reply with quote

@Swarnendu..
 I  dont  get  the  point  of  sulking  over  the  fish  you  have  'killed'  (in  your  words)  &  'lost'  (in  my  words)....

Whether  you  kill  or  loose  a  fish  it  eventually  ends  up  dead!Forget  about  beginners  I  have  seen  experienced  hobbyists  keeping  30  discus  in  a  60  gal  tank!When  they  end  up  sick,they  are  bombarded  with  antibiotics  or  PP  to  add  to  their  misery!What  would  you  call  that?Ignorance,carelessness?I  call  that  a  gross  disrespect  of  all  other  lifeforms  as  a  whole!
 Now  I'll  tell  you  what  I  believe  in.I  believe  that  unless  we  educate  ourselves  in  fishkeeping  thoroughly  we  do  not  deserve  to  keep  a  single  live  specimen  as  a  pet.
 I  appreciate  new  IAH  members  who  do  not  have  a  single  aquarium  at  home  but  only  going  through  the  forums  to  gain  knowledge  on  the  subject  of  fishkeeping  before  diving  into  it.
 I  appreciate  when  they  ask  seemingly  'dumb'  questions  in  a  forum  full  of  the  who's  who  of  this  hobby.That  is  far  better  than  killing  even  a  molly  in  an  uncycled  tank!
 Mourning(sulking  in  your  words)  over  dead  petfriends  comes  naturally  to  me  and  regarding  the  suggestion  of  change  of  topic  name..........Sorry  but  not  this  time!
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:11 pm Post subject: Re: How many fishes have you killed so far? Reply with quote

YES!  there  is  definately  the  word  "KILLED"  applied  to  fish  keepers.  I  have  read  or  heard  somewhere,  (while  keeping  Discus)  that  stunted  discus  or  sick  fishes  are  simply  removed  from  water  and  kept  outside  to  die.  "MERCY  KILLING".  In  all  my  unfortuante  cases,  I  will  not  blame  anyone  else  but  myself,  for  my  beloved  pets  death.  Secon  one  would  be  water  sources,  and  third  one  would  be  LFS  for  sure.  Because,  from  the  day  I  brought  fishes  from  SHIVA's  hatchery,  none  of  my  fishes  have  died,  and  infact  they  are  realy  colourful  to  watch.
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:22 pm Post subject: Re: How many fishes have you killed so far? Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                
YES!  there  is  definately  the  word  "KILLED"  applied  to  fish  keepers.  I  have  read  or  heard  somewhere,  (while  keeping  Discus)  that  stunted  discus  or  sick  fishes  are  simply  removed  from  water  and  kept  outside  to  die.  "MERCY  KILLING".  In  all  my  unfortuante  cases,  I  will  not  blame  anyone  else  but  myself,  for  my  beloved  pets  death.  Secon  one  would  be  water  sources,  and  third  one  would  be  LFS  for  sure.  Because,  from  the  day  I  brought  fishes  from  SHIVA's  hatchery,  none  of  my  fishes  have  died,  and  infact  they  are  realy  colourful  to  watch.                

The  horrible  ritual  of  Culling!It  is  considered  the  best  way  to  extract  the  finest  out  of  a  lot!
 Man!I  would  rather  keep  a  hundred  such  deformed  discus  than  terminating  them!
 The  only  thing  I  can  say  about  Shivada's  discus  is   Rock On
Amazonian2010
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:43 pm Post subject: Re: How many fishes have you killed so far? Reply with quote

I  think  it  is  extremely  important  to  know  everything  about  any  pet  you  bring  home.
 I  echo  with  aquarius  that  it  is  better  to  stay  away  and  watch  and  read  about  pets  and  then  buy  one  rather  than  you  buy  one  out  of  impulse  and  then  killed  it.
 I  read  8months  before  I  bought  my  first  RES  home  in  past  years  and  then  onwards  it  is  a  continuous  learning.

I  personally  do  a  lot  of  reading  about  any  pets  i  bring  home.This  is  a  never  ending  process  and  though  currently  I  am  not  in  a  position  to  keep  a  single  tank  but  I  gain  knowledge  by  reading  all  the  posts  and  upgrade  my  knowledge  base  by  reading  the  latest  news  in  IAH  and  other  forum.  

Thus  I  spread  good  aquatic  knowledge  to  the  new  members  who  ever  is  coming  to  this  hobby.

I  believe  everyone  in  IAH  does  that.

A  simple  example  :  On  Saturday  in  regimental  bazaar  one  young  kid  came  with  his  dad  to  buy  fishes  for  his  tank.  Both  dad  and  son  were  in  a  plan  to  fill  the  tanks  with  loads  of  fishes  and  2  from  each  varieties  (BTW  the  Tank  was  only  2.5  ft  x  1ft  x  1ft).  I  and  my  friend  took  some  time  off  from  our  purchase  and  told  them  few  basic  rules  of  fish  keeping,compatibility  of  the  different  fishes,  which  one  to  buy  and  which  one  not  to  buy  and  the  importance  of  keeping  right  number  of  fishes  in  the  tank  to  keep  them  happy  and  about  food  to  fed  etc  etc.  at  the  end  they  went  home  happy  and  a  little  knowledgeable.  

I  also  encouraged  the  person  to  join  to  IAH  and  post  his  questions  and  told  them  we  are  a  big  community  and  will  be  more  than  happy  to  help  him  and  his  son.

Thanks  IAH.

Raj
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:43 pm Post subject: Re: How many fishes have you killed so far? Reply with quote

Very  nice  &  healhy  discussion........I  really  appriciate  you  guys........

I  have  lot  os  same  exp.  as  above  mentioned......and  also  some  diff.  kind  too.....

Like,  "MAINTAIN  STATUS"....One  experience  I  have  about  a  person  who  has  30"x15"x15"  and  the  person  bought  16  Discus  4"  size  Discus  paying  lots  of  money.  I  told  him  repeatedly  don't  do  that...16  Discus  4"  size  for  this  tank  not  suitable  at  all.  He  said  no  not  at  all  ..I  have  EHIM  2217,  One  Top  Filter  etc  etc....and  lastly  as  per  I  know  3  Discus  are  left......as  per  my  concern  "HE  KILLED  THEM"  ....I  felt  extremly  sorry  for  those  poor  fishes.....they  have  nothing  to  do  just  to  die.....

And  sometimes  I  faced  few  person  where  main  problem  lies  "FISH  SELECTION"  .....Gold  fish  with  Convict........told  them  ....who  care.....sorry  for  those  poor  fishes.....
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Chit Chat All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: