116. Guest
117. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,891

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My 2 Koi Fish are having Finrot (I think) Please Help!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My 2 Koi Fish are having Finrot (I think) Please Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> New Members and Beginners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deepakarora
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:48 pm Post subject: My 2 Koi Fish are having Finrot (I think) Please Help! Reply with quote

Dear  Friends,

First  of  all  thanks  for  creating  such  a  great  community  for  us  Indian  fish
 hobbyist.  I  was  searching  for  information  on  how  to  treat  my  koi's  finrot  and  
 found  this  site  with  lots  of  information  and  immediately  registered  so  that  I  
 can  get  help  from  you  guys  as  LFS  guy  may  not  be  of  much  help  in  this  matter  
 (cause  when  I  said  that  I  think  my  fishes  are  having  FINROT,  he  said  "Vo  kya  
 hota  hai?"}

Few  Details  regarding  my  tank

Tank  bought  on  -  1st  May,  2011
 Tank  Cycling  -  I  cycled  the  tank  for  2  days  and  then  added  1  pleco  and  then  I  
 cycled  it  for  another  3-4  days  and  then  added  2  koi  fishes.

Tank  Dimensions  -  Length  -  48  inches,  width  -  15  inches  ,  Height  -  24  inches

Filter  -  Its  big  but  No  Idea  what  to  call  it,  please  checkout  the  video

Aeration  -  2  feet  in  length,  no  idea  what  this  stick  is  called

Water  Changes  -  10  %  water  changes  weekly  with  using  dechlorinator  and  blue  
 medicine  (which  I  now  learned  is  called  methylene  blue  from  RID  ALL)

Salt-  I  did  not  knew  that  we  need  to  add  salt  regularly  to  the  fish  tank,  when  
 I  was  cycling  the  tank  the  LFS  guy  told  me  to  add  TATA  Salt  3-4  spoons  to  the  
 tank  which  after  reading  here  I  have  learned  I  should  not  have  done  because  it  
 is  Iodised  salt  but  I  added  that  only  once.

Fishes  

1.  Normal  Orange  Koi  -  Olivia  -  12  inches  (nose  tip  to  tail  fin)
 2.  White  butterfly  koi  -  Angel  -  10.5  inches  (nose  tip  to  tail  fin)
 3.  Normal  Pleco  -  Perry  -  8  inches  (nose  top  to  tail  fin)

What  to  I  feed  my  fishes

1.  Koi  fishes

-  Pellets  -  3  times  a  day
 -  algae  wafers  (once  a  week,  one  time  replacing  pellets)
 -  Hikari  Food  Sticks  (  once  a  week,  one  time  replacing  pellets,  though  it  has  a  
 arowana  picture  on  it,  LFS  told  me  that  I  can  give  them  these  once  a  week)

2.  Pleco
 -  1  piece  of  "Lauki"  (zucchini)  twice  a  week  (  I  add  it  in  the  night  and  take  it  out  next  morning)  

Video  of  the  Aquarium

It  was  very  difficult  to  catch  the  pic  of  the  fishes  as  they  keep  moving,  so  i  took  a  close  up  video  which  will  show  affected  fins  of  the  fishes  as  well  as  my  filter  and  aeration.  I  really  appreciate  if  you  can  watch  this  few  minutes  video.

Link

Starting  of  the  problem

I  started  noticing  a  break  in  the  white  butterfly  koi's  tail  fins  20  days  ago  
 and  it  seems  that  the  top  edges  of  the  fins  are  losing  color  (stupid  me  thought  
 that  they  are  growing  the  fins  which  are  yet  colorless  and  may  be  get  their  
 color  later  on)  but  as  time  went  by  it  seems  that  entire  tail  fin  is  losing  its  
 color  and  so  does  the  other  fins  of  the  fish.
 Similar  thing  I  started  noticing  in  my  orange  koi  fish  the  fins  edges  are  
 losing  color.
 That  when  I  searched  on  the  net  for  fin  rot  and  learned  that  my  fishes  are  
 having  fin  rot.

My  Reaction  and  Treatment  
 I  just  went  to  the  LFS  straight  away  and  said  that  the  fishes  are  having  FINROT  
 he  said  what  is  that?  I  said  the  fins  are  losing  color  and  are  getting  ragged.  
 he  said  that  it  might  be  fungus  and  asked  me  to  buy  "Paraxin  500  mg"  capsules  
 and  open  and  put  the  2  capsule  powder  in  the  tank,  they  will  get  fine.  
 Thats  what  I  did  day  before  yesterday,  yesterday  I  was  with  my  friends  so  was  
 not  able  to  do  more  research  on  this  subject.  Today  I  searched  with  the  
 medicine  name  and  finrot  and  was  lead  straight  to  this  website  by  google  
 (thankfully)  I  started  reading  other  posts  and  learned  the  following.

For  at  least  a  week

1.  Do  20-30  %  water  changes  on  alternate  days
 2.  Add  aquarium  salt  in  it  (quantity  I  dont  know)
 3.  Add  methylene  blue  (  I  can  get  only  RIDALL  company's  medicine  at  LFS)
 4.  Add  One  Paraxin  500  MG  in  tank  on  alternate  days

I  know  this  tank  is  not  suitable  to  keep  these  fishes  and  I  will  need  a  bigger  
 tank  and  pond  as  these  fishes  grow  huge,  I  just  love  these  beautiful  fishes,  I  
 will  be  buying  a  new  6  Feet  x  4  Feet  x  3  Feet  tank  or  may  be  longer  by  the  end  
 of  this  year
 for  these  babies  and  by  the  end  of  next  year  a  big  indoor  pond  for  
 these  fishes.  (The  reason  I  am  not  making  a  pond  right  now  is  because  I  dont  
 have  space  for  it,  I  will  be  buying  a  new  property  by  the  end  of  next  year  and  
 will  make  a  big  pond  in  the  basement  for  these  and  more  koi's).  

I  know  it  is  a  trouble  for  you  guys  to  read  this  long  post  and  I  thank  you  for  
 it.  Please  give  me  sum  advice  on  how  can  I  make  this  problem  go  away.

Thanks  and  Regards
 Deepak  Arora
Mohammed Mudassir
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:59 pm Post subject: Re: My 2 Koi Fish are having Finrot (I think) Please Help! Reply with quote

step  up  on  the  water  changes,  atleast  30%  every  3  days,  as  these  fish  are  messy  and  nitrates  build  up  quiet  fast.
 continue  with  the  paraxin  treatment,  with  30%  w/c  every  alternate  day  till  the  fins  start  showing  signs  of  recovery,  the  colour  of  the  fins  might  not  be  the  same,
 P.S-update  your  location  and  profile,  so  people  around  you  might  be  more  helpful
deepakarora
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:26 pm Post subject: Re: My 2 Koi Fish are having Finrot (I think) Please Help! Reply with quote

Thanks  a  lot   Mudassir  bro,  will  do  the  30  percent  water  change  on  alternate  days  with  paraxin  treatment.

I  just  updated  the  profile  and  would  love  to  read  what  other  experienced  members  will  recommend.

Its  experienced  guys  like  you  who  make  the  newbies  like  me  life's  easier  and  fishes  healthy  and  happy.
krash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:52 pm Post subject: Re: My 2 Koi Fish are having Finrot (I think) Please Help! Reply with quote

Hi  Deepak,

from  your  info.  &  the  video  i  don't  think  you  have  a  severe  problem  with  your  fishes.  From  the  video  what  i  gather  is  they  seem  to  have  frayed  fins.  I  don't  see  any  reddishness,  near  the  fins  or  the  fin  joints.  Scales  look  normal.  Eyes  are  looking  clear  too.  the  tail  fin  which  looks  frayed  in  the  white  carp,the  pleco's  &  gold  carp's  tail  seems  to  have  a  white  edge  to  it.  This  looks  like  your  PH  Level  is  high.  (alkaline)

I  believe  your  nitrites  &  ammonia  are  high  in  your  tank.your's  is  a  relatively  new  tank,  about  a  month  old.  I  don't  think  your  complete  nitrifying  bacterial  cycle  has  formed.  You  don't  have  a  lot  of  the  3rd  stage  bacteria  formed  yet.  Takes  about  7-10  weeks  for  them  to  take  a  hold.  Ammonia  &  nitrites  make  the  water  alkaline,  you  are  also  changing  just  about  10%,  so  you  are  not  reducing  the  concentration  in  your  tank.  You  should  change  60%  water  every  week  or  30%  every  3  days.  Also  make  sure  you  switch  off  your  filter(it  agitates  the  water)  &  then  siphon  as  much  as  dirt  which  is  accumulated  in  the  gravel  when  doing  the  water  change.
 If  you  have  PH  or  water  test  kit,  you  can  confirm  this.  Available  in  most  LFS.

Even  if  there  is  slight  infection,  it  will  be  flexibacter  infection,  with  water  conditions  you  have  &  the  symptoms  on  your  fishes  this  fits  the  best.
 For  which  paraxin  is  not  the  most  effective.  But  since  you  have  started  it  kindly  continue  it  for  at  least  5  dosages.  only  correction  is  change  50%  of  the  water  after  every  24Hrs  after  adding  paraxin.  And  continue  to  add  methylene  blue,  will  help  soothe  &  heal  the  frayed  fins.  

Pls.  do  look  at  the  symptoms  daily  &  that  they  are  not  increasing,also  if  you  see  any  additional  symptoms  do  post  it.

TC,  (will  pm  u  some  write-ups  to  help  u)
deepakarora
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:13 am Post subject: Re: My 2 Koi Fish are having Finrot (I think) Please Help! Reply with quote

Dear  Krash,

First  of  all  thanks  a  ton  for  the  vast  information  you  have  provided  with  this  post  and  the  private  message.  It  is  of  great  help  to  me.

I  am  really  glad  to  know  that  this  is  not  case  of  FINROT  and  the  problem  is  with  ammonia  and  nitrate  level.  As  per  your  suggestion  I  would  change  50  %  of  the  water  and  add  methylene  blue  medicine  and  continue  the  paraxin  treatment  for  next  5  days  at  least.  

I  have  asked  my  LFS  to  get  the  water  testing  kit  for  ammonia  and  nitrate  but  he  is  like  "there  is  no  need  of  it  and  all  that"  but  I  will  keep  pushing  him  and  may  be  in  10  -  15  days  he  will  get  it.  I  am  also  going  to  ask  him  about  aquarium  salt  for  freshwater  aquarium.

but  I  will  go  to  medical  store  and  buy  litmus  paper  tomarrow,  so  that  I  can  do  that  test.

My  stupid  questions?

1.  The  tap  water  here  at  home  is  not  municipal  tap  water  but  we  have  "boaring  pump"  (underground  pump)  may  be  thats  why  the  ph  level  is  high  and  is  the  reason  that  I  see  small  white  particles.

2.  Earlier  I  had  a  small  bucket  through  which  I  used  to  do  water  changes.  But  I  just  bought  20  Liter  new  bucket  and  gravel  cleaner  pump  today.  So  that  I  can  effectively  measure  and  apply  anti  chlorine  medicine  to  it.

but  what  i  am  not  able  to  understand  is,  how  to  properly  do  a  water  change?
 Should  I  first  add  the  anti  chlorine  medicine  directly  in  the  aquarium  and  the  pour  water  in  it.
 or  should  I  first  add  water  in  bucket,  then  medicine  in  it  4  ML  in  20  leters  as  written  on  RID  ALL  bottle,  wait  for  five  minutes  and  then  add  it  to  the  tank?

3.  If  I  clean  the  gravel  using  the  cleaning  pump  how  will  the  brown  layer  will  form  on  it?

I  know  these  are  stupid  questions  but  I  had  to  ask.

Once  again  I  really  appreciate  your  time  and  effort  in  replying  to  this  post.

Thanks  and  ┬áRegards
 Deepak  Arora
krash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:17 am Post subject: Re: My 2 Koi Fish are having Finrot (I think) Please Help! Reply with quote

Hi  Deepak,

Q1>  Thats  true,  Bore  well  water  will  have  high  hardness  &  is  typically  more  alkaline.

Q2>  If  you  are  sure  that  you  use  only  bore  well  water,  then  you  don't  need  the  chlorine  remover.  Ground  water  will  not  have  chlorine  or  chloromine  in  them.  These  are  added  in  municipal  water  as  a  disinfectant.  If  your  using  municipal  water  from  supply  then,  use  the  Chlorine  remover.

Q3>  with  gravel  cleaner  siphon  pump  just  run  it  along  the  bottom  of  your  gravel,  stirring  up  the  waste  &  uneaten  food,  which  being  lighter  in  weight  will  get  pulled  with  the  water,  gravel  will  not.  Cover  most  of  the  area  on  the  gravel  as  u  can.  
 The  suction  created  will  be  enough  to  lift  the  waste  lodged  in  between  the  stones.  Once  you  remove  about  20%  water  just  clean  your  glass  from  the  inside  if  any  algae  or  slime  formation  with  a  gentle  scrubber.(avoid  scotch  brite-  can  scratch  your  glass).  Continue  to  remove  more  water  &  waste  from  the  gravel  till  you  have  removed  the  desired  level  of  water.  (video  for  reference)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4_az4Yw4Ns&feature=related

No  the  nitrifying  bacteria  which  form  on  gravel  will  not  get  removed  by  this.  Unless  you  bleach,  use  hot  water  or  run  antibiotics  that  kill  them.  Also  i  saw  you  have  DIY  filter  inside  the  corner  of  your  tank,  they  would  form  there  too.(not  sure  whats  medium  you  have  used  in  the  filter).  Clean  the  sponge  medium  in  your  filter  whenever  you  change  water.  Just  take  out  the  sponge  medium  and  rinse  it  well  in  water  to  dislodge  the  dirt  &  grime  accumulated  in  it  &  put  it  back.  The  other  medium  if  any,you  will  have  to  replace  or  clean  based  on  requirement.

Another  thing  is  your  using  a  bucket  for  water  change,  u  can  make  your  job  easier  by  buying  a  hose  for  you  gravel  cleaner  pump.  Your  tank  is  pretty  big,  about  280Ltrs,  changing  water  with  a  bucket  is  gonna  be  painful.  Just  buy  a  good  flexible  hose  that  fits  into  the  outlet  nozzle  of  you  gravel  cleaner  pump.  Make  sure  you  have  the  length  to  run  it  till  a  drain  (sink  drain  /bathroom  drain)  or  till  outside  of  your  house.  Connect  it  to  the  siphon  pump  outlet  &  your  done,  the  water  will  drain  continuously  thru  the  hose,  no  need  of  lifting  &  walking  with  a  bucket  many  times.

always  welcome   Smile  

regards
deepakarora
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:13 am Post subject: Re: My 2 Koi Fish are having Finrot (I think) Please Help! Reply with quote

Dear  Krash,

Thanks  once  again  bro  for  taking  the  time  to  answer  my  queries.  

I  just  finished  changing  50%  of  the  water  of  tank  and  you  are  very  right  about  getting  the  hose,  I  got  all  sweaty  in  lifting  the  bucked  again  and  again.  I  just  did  the  following

1.  siphoned  the  50%  of  the  water  out  of  the  tank  (hardest  part  of  the  work)
 2.  We  do  get  muncipal  water  for  2-3  hours  in  morning  and  in  the  evening.  So  I  used  chlorine  remover  and  filled  the  tank.
 3.  Added  blue  medicine  3-4  spoons  (Is  this  the  correct  dosage  or  should  I  add  more?)

4.  waiting  for  1-2  hours  for  adding  1  paraxin  500  mg.

Few  more  queries!

1.  The  siphon  that  I  bought  today  looks  like  the  white  one,  but  its  quite  small  for  my  tank  I  think  as  I  also  have  big  white  gravel  stones,  it  is  not  effectively  able  to  clean  them.  I  am  thinking  of  getting  the  second  one  though  I  dont  know  whether  it  is  available  in  the  market  or  not.

2.  As  for  the  next  4  more  days  when  I  will  be  changing  the  50  %  water,  is  it  necessary  to  clean  the  gravel  again  all  4  times  with  the  siphon  or  I  can  simply  use  the  siphon  to  get  the  water  out.

3.  This  filter  was  made  by  LFS  guy  only,  he  said  we  only  use  such  filters  internally  but  since  it  is  a  big  aquarium  we  are  making  one  in  it.  I  dont  know  what  else  is  in  there,  the  only  thing  I  can  see  from  above  is  the  sponge.  I  will  ask  him  what  else  he  has  in  there,  Though  I  did  not  took  the  sponge  out  in  todays  cleaning  I  will  try  to  clean  it  next  time  I  change  the  water.  I  have  read  somewhere  that  it  should  only  be  cleaned  with  old  aquarium  water  so  that  bacterias  dont  die.  Is  it  right?

4.  Should  I  mix  paraxin  500  mg  with  pallets  too  so  they  can  eat  it  or  should  I  just  pour  in  the  aquarium.

Thanks  and  Regards
 Deepak  Arora
deepakarora
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:10 am Post subject: Re: My 2 Koi Fish are having Finrot (I think) Please Help! Reply with quote

I  did  bit  more  research  in  this  forum  and  found  out  that  Fish  Aquarium  Home,  Laxmi  Nagar  is  one  of  the  biggest  wholesaler  to  LFS  in  Delhi,  so  they  must  be  having  all  the  testing  kits,  medicines  and  better  food  may  be  hikari  koi  food  and  few  decorations.

Regarding  the  Treatment  

Just  added  1  paraxin's  500  powder  to  the  tank.

THought  I  have  always  seen  these  tiny  white  particles  in  my  tank  (whenever  the  filter  is  working)  but  never  quite  understood  what  they  are,  please  take  a  look  at  this  video.

Link

Can  you  suggest  what  kind  of  testing  kits,  medicine  should  I  buy  from  there  to  keep  in  handy  at  times  like  these.

Thanks  and  Regards
 Deepak  Arora
deepakarora
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:09 pm Post subject: Re: My 2 Koi Fish are having Finrot (I think) Please Help! Reply with quote

Just  returned  from  Fish  Aquarium  Home  and  it  was  like  I  have  come  in  the  toy  store  and  want  to  buy  everything,  Razz  though  I  settled  for  the  following

Fish  Food  (better  than  what  I  had  I  Guess)
 1.  Sera  Koi  Royal  Medium  Pallets  -  240  Grams  -  Expiring  05/2012
 2.  Sera  Catfish  Chips  -  110  Grams  -  Expiring  11/2012

Medicines  -  Surprisingly  No  expiry  date  mentioned
 3.  Rid-All  -  General  Aid  -  200  ML
 4.  Rid-All  -  Anti  Chlorine  -  200  ML
 5.  Rid-All  -  Anti-Ich  -  200  ML
 6.  Rid-All  -  Anti-Fungus  -  120  ML
 7.  Rid-All  -  Koi  and  Goldfish  Special  -  120  ML
 8.  Rid-All  -  Methylene  Blue  1%  B.V.F  -  120  ML

Testing  Kit
 9.  Sera  Aqua-Test  Set  -  pH,  kH,  gH,NO2  -  Expiring  1/2013

Aquarium  Equipments
 10.  Sobo  Wave  Maker  -WP-200M
 11.  Solar  Cell  powered  Thermometer
 12.  New  Gravel  Cleaner  (Bit  Bigger  than  the  Yesterday  One,  though  they  didnt  had  any  other  model)

But  I  forgot  to  ask  about  aquarium  salt  there  :P

Thanks  and  Regards
 Deepak  Arora
krash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:08 pm Post subject: Re: My 2 Koi Fish are having Finrot (I think) Please Help! Reply with quote

cool!!!   Thumb Up
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  New Members and Beginners All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: