158. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,866

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Nano Reef
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Nano Reef
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:42 pm Post subject: Nano Reef Reply with quote

Hey  all!

I  know  the  marine  community  here  is  limited,  but  the  knowledge  is  not!
 So  I  would  like  advice  on  Nano  Reefs.
 I  plan  to  start  a  Nano  Reef  tank  sometime  ,pretty  soon.It  will  house  just  1  or  a  pair  of  clownfish,a/pair  royal  gamma  and  a  gobby  ,  maybe  a  dwarf  angel  too  .It  will  be  a  FOWLR  for  first  few  months.  As  for  the  inverts,  a  few  hermits  and  snail,  maybe  a  starfish  if  i  can  maintain  the  setup  running  for  7-8  months.Later  on,after  a  year,  SPS(  a  few  zoanthids  and  mushroom  corals).But  its  not  certain  if  I  will  add  corals  at  all,all  depends  on  the  water  parameters.I  choose  not  to  add  anemone  as  it  may  grow  too  big  for  this  tank  and  i  may  not  be  able  to  care  for  it,  It  may  eat  other  fishes  too.

The  tank  will  be  a  20G,  24x12x19[LxBxH].Lights,  haven't  decided  yet,  but  plan  to  keep  3-4W/G,  probably  70W  of  CFL  or  an  LED  fixture.There  wll  be  two  power  heads  one  150  and  other  120  gallon/h  positioned  facing  each  other,  but  one  on  the  front  and  other  on  the  back.  Protein  skimmer  -  may  or  may  not  be,  daily  water  top  ups  in  the  summer.Water  Changes  once  or  twice  every  month.  RO/DI  water  will  be  used.  Filter  will  be  probably  an  HOB.  Also  a  Quarantine  5G  setup  will  be  running  for  sometime,  with  a  connection  to  the  main  tank  maybe,  and  if  i  need  to  add  some  medications,  then  i  will  disconnect  it.

I  intend  to  span  the  duration  from  adding  water  to  adding  fish  about  one  and  a  half  months,  and  adding  corals,  a  year.Cycling  will  be  with  LR,  then  inverts  after  a  few  weeks,  later  on  fish  and  later  x5,  corals  Very Happy  .

Ive  done  my  research  regarding  this  and  i  feel,  a  small  tank  with  a  begginer(for  saltwater)  is  not  doomed  to  crash.Its  almost  comparable  to  maintaining  a  planted  tank,  but  its  costlier  and  mistakes  are  not  forgiven  sometimes...well  many  times  Chuckle  .  I  know  the  rule  is,  get  the  biggest  tank  your  budget  can  provide,  but  well,  i  need  something  for  other  stuff  too  right?  :whistle:

Please  marine  Gurus,  advice.
 Is  such  a  setup  practical  for  our  climates?
 And  I  dont  have  a  swiss  bank  account.But  i  do  have  bank  balance.lol
 Yes,  the  room  will  be  AC  till  this  feb,  so  i  suppose  i  wont  be  needing  a  chiller,  the  temperature  will  be  set  to  22-24[24x7].If  there  is  a  problem,  I  will  setup  a  sump,  with  cooling  fans  on  both,  the  main  tank  and  the  sump.

Thanx  for  reading!  Smile
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:01 am Post subject: Re: Nano Reef Reply with quote

Hi  Ashwin,
 Sounds  like  a  solid  plan.
 Only  1  suggestion  >  Would  be  better  if  you  use  70w  metal  halide  instead  of  CFL  /  LED.

Go  ahead
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:42 am Post subject: Re: Nano Reef Reply with quote

why  20G  only  due  to  funds  or  due  to  space  ?
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:52 am Post subject: Re: Nano Reef Reply with quote

yajur  wrote  (View  Post):                

why  20G  only  due  to  funds  or  due  to  space  ?

Partly,  both.  I  already  have  a  5ftr  FW  and  two  2ft  FWs.So  the  there  is  space  only  for  another  20G.
 Funds,  not  much,  certainly  not  enough  to  make  my  5fter  into  a  SW.  Chuckle  

DJ_Rocky  wrote  (View  Post):                

Hi  Ashwin,
 Sounds  like  a  solid  plan.
 Only  1  suggestion  >  Would  be  better  if  you  use  70w  metal  halide  instead  of  CFL  /  LED.

Go  ahead

Thanks!
 I  spent  months  researching  and  came  out  with  this  plan.  Smile  
 The  main  problem  is,  most  of  the  resources  on  the  internet  are  from  colder  regions.For  some  reasons,  people  in  the  tropical  nations  dont  like  to  write  reviews  and  articles  related  to  Nano  Reefs  Chuckle  .We  need  a  chiller,  while  their  biggest  expenses  are  heaters.
 I  am  a  bit  skeptical  with  CFL  already  due  to  the  heat,  and  i  suppose  the  MH  is  gonna  be  hot  too.Thats  why  i  was  planning  to  go  with  an  LED  setup.what  do  you  say?
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:53 pm Post subject: Re: Nano Reef Reply with quote

temp  wont  be  issue  in  fish  only  tank  i  had  30*C  in  my  fish  only  tank  all  are  healthy  and  active,i  wont  suggest  reef  tank  for  20G  reef  need  lest  50-70G  easy  to  maintain  i  mean  20G  not  possible,it  ok  but  if  water  parameter  change  it  wont  give  you  much  time  to  save  your  corals,so  go  with  your  plan  20G  tank  now  with  fish  only  and  you  told  you  will  wait  for  5-7month  in  this  time  you  itself  know  and  may  get  lots  of  idea  on  it.

all  the  best.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:26 pm Post subject: Re: Nano Reef Reply with quote

I  feel  the  tank  would  be  too  small  for  the  royals  and  the  dwarf  angel.  Other  than  that  the  plan  seems  solid.  Dont  know  what  HOB  you  plan  on  using  but  I  would  get  two  so  that  you  could  use  a  greater  variety  of  media  in  them
gremlin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:11 pm Post subject: Re: Nano Reef Reply with quote

Quote:                
I  plan  to  start  a  Nano  Reef  tank  sometime  ,pretty  soon.It  will  house  just  1  or  a  pair  of  clownfish,a/pair  royal  gamma  and  a  gobby  ,  maybe  a  dwarf  angel  too                  

Looks  like  you  would  be  over  stocking  for  a  20g.  Either  have  a  pair  of  clowns  or  a  royal  gamma.  No  no  on  the  angel.  If  its  just  going  to  be  fo  any  light  will  do.  Fish  would  be  more  forgiving  than  corals.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:58 pm Post subject: Re: Nano Reef Reply with quote

gremlin  wrote  (View  Post):                

Quote:                
I  plan  to  start  a  Nano  Reef  tank  sometime  ,pretty  soon.It  will  house  just  1  or  a  pair  of  clownfish,a/pair  royal  gamma  and  a  gobby  ,  maybe  a  dwarf  angel  too                  

Looks  like  you  would  be  over  stocking  for  a  20g.  Either  have  a  pair  of  clowns  or  a  royal  gamma.  No  no  on  the  angel.  If  its  just  going  to  be  fo  any  light  will  do.  Fish  would  be  more  forgiving  than  corals.

I  had  read  somewhere,  that  a  5G  can  support,barely,  one  goby.10g  can  support  a  pair  of  clown  ,  15G  a  pair  of  clown  with  a  goby.20G  4  fish,  need  to  be  small.I  read  somewhere  elsethat  you  can  keep  a  Dwarf  angel  in  a  20G  "Long"(?).  Hence  i  included  it  in  the  list.
 On  a  second  thought,  this  is  the  revised  fish  list:  a  pair  of  clowns(True  percula),  either  one:  a  pair  of  banggai  /2  or  3  catalina  gobbies.
 I  may  change  all  the  other  fish  but,  clownfish  stay!(Nemo  Rules!!)

Mortis  wrote  (View  Post):                

I  feel  the  tank  would  be  too  small  for  the  royals  and  the  dwarf  angel.  Other  than  that  the  plan  seems  solid.  Dont  know  what  HOB  you  plan  on  using  but  I  would  get  two  so  that  you  could  use  a  greater  variety  of  media  in  them

Felt  the  same.I  have  not  decided  on  the  brand,  perhaps  you  could  help  me?  Smile  

yajur  wrote  (View  Post):                

temp  wont  be  issue  in  fish  only  tank  i  had  30*C  in  my  fish  only  tank  all  are  healthy  and  active,i  wont  suggest  reef  tank  for  20G  reef  need  lest  50-70G  easy  to  maintain  i  mean  20G  not  possible,it  ok  but  if  water  parameter  change  it  wont  give  you  much  time  to  save  your  corals,so  go  with  your  plan  20G  tank  now  with  fish  only  and  you  told  you  will  wait  for  5-7month  in  this  time  you  itself  know  and  may  get  lots  of  idea  on  it.

all  the  best.

Thanks,  
 I  am  already  planning  to  introduce  corals  only  next  year  Smile
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:17 am Post subject: Re: Nano Reef Reply with quote

Quote:                
I  am  a  bit  skeptical  with  CFL  already  due  to  the  heat,  and  i  suppose  the  MH  is  gonna  be  hot  too.Thats  why  i  was  planning  to  go  with  an  LED  setup.what  do  you  say?                

LEDs  are  very  good  only  when  we  get  it  in  right  color  spectrum  in  India  and  it's  bloody  expensive  compared  tp  other  lights.
 My  personal  favorite  is  T5HOs.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:19 am Post subject: Re: Nano Reef Reply with quote

Chuckle  

I  would  go  for  T5HOs  then.  I  got  no  idea  about  them  but  i  think  they  will  fit  in  standard  tubelight  holders?
 100W  would  be  sufficient  right?
 Most  of  the  bulbs  i  found  on  ebay  were  of  24W  so  i  would  need  atleast  4.After  which  i  will  get  96W,  which  is  good.Also  what  about  the  actinic  bulbs,I  would  need  them,  but  i  dont  know  whether  i  should  replace  one  of  the  T5s  as  an  actinic  one,  or  add  it  to  the  setup,  making  5  bulbs  and  120W  ,  6W/G.That  is  too  much  i  think.

ALso  how  much  heat  do  these  produce?
 I  am  guessing  if  its  near  to  what  a  CFL  produces,  its  gonna  be  too  much.But  well  lighting  is  not  in  top  priority  right  now.  I  wont  need  much  for  a  FOWLR,  my  current  36W  setup  would  be  enough.

And  is  RO/DI  water  same  as  distilled  water(i  guess  not),but  distilled  water  can  be  used  too  right?
 I  cant  source  RO/DI  water  from  anywhere  as  of  now,  and  my  mom,  being  a  chemistry  guru,  is  completely  against  and  RO  system  for  our  home,  she  says  it  wastes  too  much.

Top  priority  right  now  is  to  the  equipments.I  would  need  two  HOBs,  and  two  powerheads.I  am  not  going  for  a  skimmer,  i  will  do  water  changes  myself.But  if  i  get  hold  of  a  economical  skimmer  I  will  get  it.  Smile  
 What  are  the  types  to  look  for,  and  what  things  to  look  for  when  geting  a  HOB  for  a  marine  tank?
JIT2010
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:46 am Post subject: Re: Nano Reef Reply with quote

Hi  Aswin,

Go  for  a  sump  rather  then  HOB  filter(if  space  permits),  if  you  overstocked  then  increase  water  volume  will  help  you  a  lot  to  maintain  water  quality.  It  also  provide  you  more  space  for  media  &  other  equipments.

Plan  for  a  nano  skimmer  or  more  frequent  WC.

CFL's  are  ok  in  fish  only  tank  but  thier  colour  spectrum  doesnt  looks  good  in  marine  enviroment.  T5's  or  LED  will  be  good  addition.

Plan  for  two  small  fish  with  a  shrimp.  

Good  luck.  Thumb Up  

Regards
 -Jit
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:16 pm Post subject: Re: Nano Reef Reply with quote

I  was  tempted  to  the  sump,  but  there  is  just  enough  space  for  5G  quarantine  tank  Thumb Down  
 Maybe  when  i  shift  to  somewhere  else  in  the  near  future,  i  may  go  for  it.

What  about  the  RO/DI  query,  any  inputs  on  that?
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm Post subject: Re: Nano Reef Reply with quote

ashwin1224  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  was  tempted  to  the  sump,  but  there  is  just  enough  space  for  5G  quarantine  tank  Thumb Down  
 Maybe  when  i  shift  to  somewhere  else  in  the  near  future,  i  may  go  for  it.

What  about  the  RO/DI  query,  any  inputs  on  that?                

for  fish  only  TAP  water  less  than  200TDS  ok  but  for  reef  never  start  without  RO  water  TDS  have  to  be  less  than  10  if  0  it  will  be  great.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:38 pm Post subject: Re: Nano Reef Reply with quote

hmm

Though  so.  But  what  abput  Distilled  water,  it  is  "supposed"  to  be  somepletly  free  of  impurities  right?
JIT2010
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:45 pm Post subject: Re: Nano Reef Reply with quote

Yea,  you  can  use  bottled  drinking  water  without  any  doubt.  Those  are  mainly  RO  filtered  water.

Good  luck.

-Regards
   JIT
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: