82. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,824

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - DIY LED Hood
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

DIY LED Hood
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:16 am Post subject: DIY LED Hood Reply with quote

Hi  all
 I  am  making  a  LED  lighting  unit  for  my  upcoming  nano  reef  tank.  I  have  chosen  8mm  plywood  for  the  build  and  I  plan  to  later  add  2  PC  fans  into  it.  The  tank  dimensions  are  24L  20W  18H,  and  the  hood  dimensions  are  24L  20W  10H.  LED  bulbs  have  been  used  in  the  build,  4x1W  LED  per  bulb.  They  costed  me  as  much  as  a  single  high  end  CREE  LED  would  cost,  but  they  come  free  of  hassles  of  soldering  etc.  Anyways,  I  got  the  pieces  of  ply  cut  from  the  shop  today.  It  was  already  late  so  I  decided  that  I  will  just  design  and  wire  the  LEDs  today  and  finish  the  rest  tomorrow.  I  started  at  around  8  with  the  marking  for  LEDs  and  I  was  able  to  wire  only  the  blue  array  till  1:35am   Sad  
 I  am  happy  anyways  with  the  result  as  this  is  my  first  major  DIY  project.

I  started  with  the  20x24  piece  of  ply.  I  am  not  good  with  maths  so  just  mapping  out  a  border  minus  the  tank  braces  took  me  some  time.  On  the  left  are  the  holders  I  will  be  using

This  was  my  first  attempt  at  calculating  the  positions  for  all  the  holders.  Screwed  this  big  time  and  there  was  no  place  for  2  spare  holders.

Redid  the  calculations  and  I  then  I  was  able  to  adjust  all  the  bulbs.  Notice  the  number  of  meaningless  markings  on  the  bottom,  those  were  my  less  successful  attempts  at  getting  the  coordinates.

Next  I  put  on  the  blue  bulbs  and  connected  them  to  see  if  I  am  done.  But  I  was  not,  as  I  connected  them  in  series,  none  of  them  lit  up.

Finally  after  help  from  the  internet  I  was  able  to  figure  out  the  problem.  I  connected  them  in  parallel  and  the  all  lit  up!  The  work  seems  shoddy,  but  I  will  clean  that  later.
 This  bulbs  are  amazingly  bright!!!

Here  they  are  lighting  up  my  messy  room.The  new  tank  can  be  seen  towards  the  top  right  corner  Please  note  that  the  room  is  in  this  condition  because  I  was  working,  otherwise  I  am  pretty  neat.  Chuckle  
 Notice  how  the  light  makes  the  bottom  of  the  parrot  cage  kept  ~7  feet  away,  glow!

I  will  complete  the  build  tomorrow  and  update  here

Regards
 Ashwin  Smile

Last edited by ashwin1224 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:16 am Post subject: Re: DIY LED Hood Reply with quote

Nice  work  mate  Thumb Up  
 How  high  will  you  hang  it  above  water

Waiting  to  see  them  on  tank....  and  what  make  are  they?
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:21 am Post subject: Re: DIY LED Hood Reply with quote

Lovely  bulbs
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:38 am Post subject: Re: DIY LED Hood Reply with quote

saikumar  wrote  (View  Post):                
Nice  work  mate  Thumb Up  
 How  high  will  you  hang  it  above  water

Waiting  to  see  them  on  tank....  and  what  make  are  they?                

Thank  you  Smile  
 I  dont  know  the  make,  they  came  in  transparent  packing.  But  they  are  from  a  reputed  seller  so  I  am  not  worried.  And  they  will  be  at  ~6"  from  the  surface.  They  wont  be  hung,  I  will  make  a  complete  hood  as  I  want  to  install  cooling  fans  in  it.

yajur  wrote  (View  Post):                

Lovely  bulbs

Indeed  they  are  Smile
vk_8e
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:10 pm Post subject: Re: DIY LED Hood Reply with quote

Good  work
 UV  light,  Guitar,  Birds,  mac,  robot  ..  My  kinda  room!!  Messsssy   Wink   Wink
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:31 pm Post subject: Re: DIY LED Hood Reply with quote

vk_8e  wrote  (View  Post):                

Good  work
 UV  light,  Guitar,  Birds,  mac,  robot  ..  My  kinda  room!!  Messsssy   Wink   Wink

Chuckle  
 The  mac  is  usually  kept  in  my  computer  room  but  because  I  forgot  to  pay  my  bills  and  my  nets  down,  I  just  kept  it  on  the  floor  in  my  bedroom  where  I  steal  my  neighbors  WiFi  Chuckle  

Anyways,  I  managed  to  wire  the  White  Bulbs  too.  And  the  work  on  these  is  far  better  than  the  blue  ones.  You  wont  get  to  see  the  wiring  of  the  whites  because  the  blue  circuit  completely  covers  it,  but  trust  me  its  good  Smile  

There  are  very  few  wires  dangling  on  the  right,  its  quite  an  achievement  for  me  Cheering  

All  the  lights  on,  Just  need  to  secure  the  holders  on  to  the  ply.  Then  I  ll  fit  the  rest  of  the  hood.  Smile
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:25 pm Post subject: Re: DIY LED Hood Reply with quote

is  that  blue  is  20k  ?
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:06 pm Post subject: Re: DIY LED Hood Reply with quote

I  am  not  sure.  The  rating  is  given  in  nm  not  K.  Its  460nm.  Which  I  guess  should  be  around  18000-20000K.
 These  lights  were  not  designed  for  aquariums,  hence  rating  is  not  in  kelvin.  In  fact,  the  seller  was  curious  because  according  to  him  these  lights  are  only  used  in  bars  and  other  "adult"  places,  and  I  was  too  young  to  start  one.  Chuckle
Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:18 pm Post subject: Re: DIY LED Hood Reply with quote

finally,  the  DIY  you  promised  in  that  LED  thread!

good  good.  

but  this  is  a  marine  tank  DIY?

i  was  hoping  for  a  nice  planted  tank,  ashwin.  Neutral
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:12 pm Post subject: Re: DIY LED Hood Reply with quote

Romi  wrote  (View  Post):                
finally,  the  DIY  you  promised  in  that  LED  thread!

good  good.  

but  this  is  a  marine  tank  DIY?

i  was  hoping  for  a  nice  planted  tank,  ashwin.  Neutral                

I  was  keeping  a  planted  tank  for  the  past  4  years.  Wanted  to  shift  to  marine  now,  hence  this.  Actually  the  planted  tank  was  taken  apart  to  accommodate  this.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:24 am Post subject: Re: DIY LED Hood Reply with quote

Small  Update:  Completed  the  Lighting  part  of  the  hood.

All  the  holders  are  in  place  and  the  wiring  is  complete.  The  lights  are  kept  on  top  of  my  tank  so  that  I  can  clean  my  room.I  couldnt  screw  the  holders  in  the  ply,  so  I  used  ample  amount  of  feviquick  to  stick  them  to  the  ply.  I  also  cut  in  grooves  in  the  holders  for  the  wires.Now  there  isnt  a  mess  with  the  wires  around  the  holders  and  over  all  looks  like  a  clean  job.

All  that  remains  now  is  to  hammer  the  rest  of  the  pieces  and  keep  it  on  the  tank.  I  will  be  able  to  do  that  only  the  day  after  as  I  have  to  go  to  college  tomorrow.  Man,  DIY-ing  even  such  a  small  project  is  such  a  pain,  I  bow  to  the  experts  Bow
crazyomzi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:16 am Post subject: Re: DIY LED Hood Reply with quote

nice  work  ashwin.....even  if  its  pain,  DIY  is  the  most  interesting  thing  and  the  satisfaction  u  get  is  limiless

omkar
Ram_a_rosi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:39 am Post subject: Re: DIY LED Hood Reply with quote

good  Work  Ashwin  Keep  it  coming.
 as  omkar  said  satisfaction  is  limitlesssss
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:53 pm Post subject: Re: DIY LED Hood Reply with quote

Ram_a_rosi  wrote  (View  Post):                

good  Work  Ashwin  Keep  it  coming.
 as  omkar  said  satisfaction  is  limitlesssss

crazyomzi  wrote  (View  Post):                

nice  work  ashwin.....even  if  its  pain,  DIY  is  the  most  interesting  thing  and  the  satisfaction  u  get  is  limiless

omkar

Well  said  guys,  the  satisfaction  from  doing  the  work  is  amazing.  Also,  you  save  up  alot  of  money  too  Chuckle  
 SO,  Ive  completed  the  hood  (Almost).  Just  need  to  paint  it  then  I  am  done.Although,  I  admit  its  a  very  sloppy  job,  but  what  do  you  expect  from  a  Computer  Tech  student!?

The  light  coming  from  the  right  side  edge  of  the  tank  are  the  tank  braces,  the  hood  fits  between  them.  The  grooves  for  them  are  visible  in  the  previous  pic.  

I  just  saw  a  piece  of  bogwood  on  the  top,  please  dont  mind...

What  is  not  seen  in  the  pic  is  a  small  hole  carved  from  the  top  of  the  hood  for  feeding  the  fishes.  For  anything  else,  I  will  have  to  remove  the  entire  hood.  I  have  made  plans  to  install  fans  in  it  later,  one  on  both  the  sides.  And  I  need  a  help  with  that,  the  current  plan  is  this:
 One  for  the  IN  on  the  side  and  one  for  OUT  on  the  other  side.
       |                                 |
 <-F____________|

Or  I  could  do  this:
 One  fan  on  the  top  for  IN,  aiming  outside  air  at  the  water  and  one  for  OUT  on  the  side.
       |                                 |
 <-F____________|

What  should  I  use?

I  was  going  through  the  sticky  LED  article  at  the  DIY  section.  And  I  noticed  that  last  year,  the  complete  LED  setup  costed  about  43k  for  84  LEDs.  Now  i  know  one  can  expect  such  costs  even  today  with  CREE  LEDs  and  arduino  boards,  but  what  surprised  me  that  my  setup  has  48  1W  LEDs,with  satisfactory  performance  and  it  costed  me  5k  <max>  for  the  entire  Hood!
 Its  funny  how  fast  some  prices  drop  Smile
ravi_737
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:28 am Post subject: Re: DIY LED Hood Reply with quote

Hi  Ashwin,

Good  job  ...  pretty  good  DIY  Smile  !!!

I  think  the  price  difference  with  the  setup  with  84  LED's  and  your  48  LED's  is  because  the  other  one  used  3W  LED's  and  you  used  1W  LED's!!!

Best  Regards,
 Ravi
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: