57. Guest
58. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,881

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Setting Up My First Planted Shrimp Tank!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Setting Up My First Planted Shrimp Tank!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lugia_111
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:48 pm Post subject: Setting Up My First Planted Shrimp Tank! Reply with quote

Hello  everyone,

So  I  recently  got  into  the  aquarium  hobby  thanks  to  my  cousin  and  now  want  a  planted  tank  of  my  own.   I  have  a  small  one  foot  tank  in  which  ive  been  keeping  the  shrimp  in  since  around  2  months  and  i  wanted  to  Upgrade  to  a  bigger  one  so  i  bought  an  18x9x12.  Since  im  new  to  this  im  kinda  lost  as  to  how  I  should  set  up  this  aquarium  so  that  it  is  suitable  for  shrimp  -My  one  footer  doesnt  have  anything  apart  from  substrate  and  driftwood  -and  i  dont  want  a  set  up  thats  gonna  cost  me  a  bomb.  I  know  the  essentials  ill  need   for  the  tank  but  i  dont  really  know  for  example  what  kind  of  filter  to  buy.  So  heres  the  list  of  thinks  im  gonna  need  (please  tell  me  if  im  missing  anything)  and  some  of  which  i  already  have.

As  ive  said  already,  my  tank  is  and  18x9x12inch  one.
 Now  apart  from  the  tank  im  pretty  sure  of  the  basic  equipment  i  need,  just  not  sure  what  kinds  to  buy:

Heater:

I  already  have  this

Filter:

I  have  a  small  sponge  filter  but  i  doubt  that  will  be  good  enough  for  the  new  tank,  so  I  think  i  need  a  new  one.  The  guy  at  the  aquarium  where  i  bought  my  new  tank  suggested  i  get  a  HOB  filter.  Im  really  confused  about  the  filter

Substrate:

I  dont  really  know  which  one  to  buy.  The  only  ones  i  know  of  apart  from  gravel  are  ADA  and  Contrasoil.  

Light:

Again  im  totally  clueless!  I  thought  an  LED  strip  (the  kind  used  in  store  displays)  would  be  fine  since  its  very  bright,  but  people  are  telling  me  to  get  a  light  specially  made  for  planted  aquariums.

Plants  and  Moss:

Im  going  to  get  some  java  moss,  but  i  dont  know  what  plants  to  get.  I  want  a  carpet  of  grass  in  my  tank  and  driftwood  with  moss,  nothing  more.  

Lastly,  i  dont  know  if  i  need  CO2  or  not  if  im  only  keeping  one  type  of  plant.  Please  give  me  any  advice  and  suggestions  you  might  have.
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 pm Post subject: Re: Setting Up My First Planted Shrimp Tank! Reply with quote

Lugia..
 You  are  very  optimistic..
 Your  are  new  to  planted  aquarium  and  you  already  planned  for  a  carpet..  Confused  
 I  don't  mean  to  discourage  you,  but..  carpet  is  kind  of  a  long  way  to  go..
 Since  you  want  a  shrimp  tank,  I  don't  think  you  need  a  heater..But  depends  on  where  you  live  Unsure  
 Get  a  HOB  of  200  to  250  L/H  rated  filter..
 Use  a  18w  CFL  which  has  a  cool  day  light  mentioned  on  the  packing  (865  Rated)..Find  a  way  to  put  in  the  hood.
 And  yes,  you  need  to  get  the  ADA  or  controsoil..  around  5lts.
 In  order  to  grow  moss,  the  temp  of  the  tank  must  be  below  27'c..
 For  carpeting,  try  dwarf  hair  grass..  who  knows,  you  might  be  successful.
 Try  easy  stem  plants  like  Rotala  Rotundifolia  red,  hygrophila-polysperma,  Ludwigia  palustris..
 And  of-course  your  moss  on  drifts..
 Lighting  period  must  be  around  6-8  hrs..
 Filtration  24  hrs..
 I  am  deliberately  skipping  the  CO2  suppliment..  It  will  be  too  confusing  for  you,  read  about  it  on  net  if  possible.
 So  this  is  the  summary..  a  lot  of  things  go  wrong,  or  you  might  taste  success  Chuckle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kuna
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:04 am Post subject: Re: Setting Up My First Planted Shrimp Tank! Reply with quote

Hi  Lugia,

Most  of  the  points  are  answered  by  Nidhi.  Below  are  few  points  from  my  end:

Heater:  
 As  suggested  by  Nidhi  it  depends  on  where  you  live.  In  your  place  if  the  temp  drops  below  22  degree  then  you  need  to  have  a  heater.  And  try  to  maintain  the  shrimps  tank  temp  in  between  24  to  27  degree  depending  upon  what  type  of  shrimps  you  want  to  keep.

FYI-  Please  update  your  location  so  that  it  will  help  fellow  hobbiest  to  guide  you  better.

Filter:  
 Nidhi  already  answer  to  this.  Make  sure  the  outlet  of  the  filter  will  be  atlest  1/2inch  above  the  water  column  or  else  you  will  find  few  shrimps  inside  your  filter  :)

Substrate:  +1  Nidhi

Light:  +1  Nidhi

Plants  and  Moss:  
 Plants:  Vals,  Crypts,  pogostemon  octopous  etc  
 Moss:  Instead  of  java  moss  go  for  peacock  moss  or  Christmass  moss.

If  you  want  to  make  a  carpet  then  why  not  moss  carpet???
 get  some  flat  stones  and  tie  some  moss  in  that  and  spread  it  in  your  tank...After  couple  of  weeks  you  can  see  your  moss  carpet  :)

CO2:  Try  to  avoid  in  shrimps  tank.

Hope  this  will  help...  
 If  you  have  any  issue  feel  free  to  give  a  call.
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:09 am Post subject: Re: Setting Up My First Planted Shrimp Tank! Reply with quote

lugia,

1.  Please  update  your  location  in  your  profile.
 2.  If  you  have  enough  budget  get  a   3  liter  ADA  or  contro  bag  as  substrate.  
 3.  You  can  go  for  marsila  hirasuta  or  dwarf  hair  grass  as  non  co2  foreground  plant.
 4.  For  lights  go  for  18  watt  Pll  lights.  On  how  to  mount  the  light  on  your  tank.  You  can  either  make  a  hood  which  has  lot  of  opening  for  the  heat  to  escape  or  you  can  get  a  ready  made  one  from  LFS.  Go  for  the  side  mounted  lights(which  has  a  clip  to  atach  to  one  of  the  side  walls  of  your  aquarium)
 5.  Filter  +1  to  Nidhi's  opinion
navneethtk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:16 pm Post subject: Re: Setting Up My First Planted Shrimp Tank! Reply with quote

1.ill  be  giving  him  controsoil.  I  guess  5liters  is  required
 2.  @nidhi  how  about  that  creeper  plant  which  you  gave  me?
 3.  I  also  told  him  not  to  bother  with  a  co2  set  up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:28 pm Post subject: Re: Setting Up My First Planted Shrimp Tank! Reply with quote

@  Navneeth..  You  mean  Hydrocotyle  tripartita?  It  is  a  east  kind  of  plant,  so  go  ahead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
navneethtk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:41 pm Post subject: Re: Setting Up My First Planted Shrimp Tank! Reply with quote

I  will  give  him  that.  The  one  you  gave  me  grEw  like  duckweed  an  now  its  enougho  for  three  tanks.
 Oh  also  lugia  is  my  cousin  Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:56 pm Post subject: Re: Setting Up My First Planted Shrimp Tank! Reply with quote

hmmm.  will  no  ricca  work  in  his  tank?
Lugia_111
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:35 pm Post subject: Re: Setting Up My First Planted Shrimp Tank! Reply with quote

Thnx  for  all  the  inputs  ppl.  Sorry  i  forgot  to  include  my  location,  i  live  in  Bangalore

@  Nidhi:  Thnx  for  the  advice,  i  dont  really  know  how  hard  it  is  to  grow  a  carpet  so  thats  why  i  decided  to  grow  one.  But  if  its  not  recommended  for  beginners  i  dont  think  ill  try  to.  Ill  stick  to  the  easy  plants  like  you  said,  and  thnx  for  the  clarification  on  the  filter.  Thats  what  i  was  worried  about  the  most  

@  Kuna:  Im  maintaing  a  temp  of  26  right  now.  I  only  have  red  cherries  so  i  guess  that  should  be  fine.  A  moss  carpet  sounds  like  a  nice,  easy  idea,  i  might  just  do  that,  and  thnx  so  much  for  the  info  about  CO2,   thats  one  headache  lesser  for  me  since  i  dont  need  it.

@  jabba:Updated  my  location  Smile  and  ill  be  getting  controsoil  like  you  suggested.But  what  exactly  is  the  difference  between  contro  and  ADA?
 As  for  the  lights,  side  mounting  sounds  like  a  good  option.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Invertebrates All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: