55. Guest
56. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,881

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Revverend's nano planted tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Revverend's nano planted tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> New Members and Beginners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revverend
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:10 pm Post subject: Revverend's nano planted tank Reply with quote

Hello  IAH

It  is  good  to  be  back  !  

I  am  Sudhir  ,based  in  Hyderabad  and  was  a  member  of  IAH  precisely  8  yrs  back  .  It  was  during  my  college  days  I  was  active  and  crawling  though  this  most  invaluable  site  for  aquarists.  I  was  naive  and  a  bit  immature  back  then  but  was  able  to  put  together  a  rudimentary  tank  with  java  moss  and  neon  tetras  along  with  a  couple  of  RCS.  As  I  completed  my  graduation  and  moved  cities  in  lieu  of  the  rat  race,my  interest  weaned  away  until  a  few  weeks  back  I  happened  to  pass  by  a  wonderful  aquarium  store  in  Hyderabad,"Aquascape  Addicts"  .  I  was  spellbound  and  speechless  at  the  amazing  planted  tanks  Mr.Shah  has  put  up.This  rekindled  my  interest  in  the  hobby  reminiscent  of  the  calm  that  comes  with  setting  up  your  aquarium.

Fast  forward  a  few  days  of  crawling  the  forums  and  overwhelmed  by  the  wealth  of  information  along  with  the  availability  of  equipment  on  par  with  the  world,I  made  an  impulsive  purchase  yesterday,from  Aquascape  Addicts,for  a  few  items  :

1.  Glass  tank  (regular  glass)  -  18"x  12"  x  12"
 2.  Platinum  Soil  -  3  Litres
 3.  SunSun  T5  tubes  15W/10,000  K*2  nos  +  a  holder  for  the  tubes
 4.  ADA  super  4
 5.  Driftwood+3.5  kgs  of  rocks

As  my  profession  requires  me  to  be  travelling  through  the  week,I  would  be  working  on  the  setting  up  the  tank  over  the  weekends.I  am  going  to  take  it  slow  and  I  want  the  tank  to  mature  into  a  lush  green  setup  that  I  can  sit  and  watch  for  hours.

I  need  some  help  on  the  following  front.Appreciate  your  inputs  on  :

1.  Filtration    -  The  tank  capacity  is  close  to  40  L/10  G.Now  for  this  size  I  am  sure  an  internal  power  filter  or  a  HOB  is  recommended.Although  the  LFS  recommended  me  to  go  for  a  HOB  instead  of  a  power  filter  (which  might  be  an  eyesore  in  the  scape)  ,I  am  leaning  towards  a  small  canister  filter.My  reasons  for  this  is  ample  biological  filtration  and  flexibility  to  add  media  or  any  other  additives  ,external  to  the  tank.

I  understand  that  the  filtration  capacity  required  is  8-10X  the  capacity  of  the  tank  ,which  comes  to  400  LPH.  I  am  unable  to  zero  in  on  a  particular  model.  I  came  across  the  following  models

a.  Eheim  2211
 b.  Fluval  106
 c.  SunSun  HW  603
 d.  Boyu  EF-05

Q  :  What  would  you  guys  recommend  for  this  capacity  ?  I  am  open  to  looking  at  other  VFM  models  but  I  would  stick  to  reliable  brands

2.  Lighting  -  The  current  setup  is  total  of  30W  which  equates  to  around  3W/gallon.  This  is  perfect  for  high  tech  plants  in  the  system  and  would  be  recipe  for  Algae  if  not  managed  properly.  However,on  the  spectrum  of  light,10000K,I  am  doubtful  whether  this  is  right  for  plants.6500  K  is  the  natural  daylight  spectrum  and  if  it  has  an  advantage  over  the  10000K  lights,I  would  switch  the  same.

Q  :What  are  the  your  thoughts  on  the  light  spectrum  and  wattage  ?  I  get  the  point  that  without  listing  the  flora  it  is  difficult  to  suggest  but  for  a  predominantly  carpet  plants,moss  and  ferns,Do  you  think  any  changes  need  to  be  done  ?

3.  Substrate  -  I  have  sprinkled  the  contents  of  ADA  super  4  onto  the  base  before  pouring  in  the  substrate  (Recommended  by  LFS).  I  do  not  plan  to  make  any  changes  to  the  substrate  in  the  near  future  ,except  for  rescaping  .

Q  :  I  have  heard  of  Platinum  Soil  before  but  have  not  used  it  personally.  Online  reviews  quote  that  it  leeches  a  lot  in  the  initial  days  so  frequent  water  changes  are  recommended.What  is  your  take  on  this  substrate  and  what  is  the  kind  of  water  change  schedule  I  should  follow  ?  I  will  be  doing  the  initial  filling  along  with  the  plants  in  it.Is  this  recommended  or  should  I  do  a  1  week  run  with  only  the  substrate  and  filtration  on  ?

4.  CO2  setup  -  I  am  planning  to  have  a  full  fledged  setup  for  CO2  ,Cylinder+Regulator+Solenoid+Dispenser  .  Complete  CO2  setups  are  turning  out  to  be  really  expensive  as  much  as  tank+peripherals.

Q  :  Does  CO2  need  to  run  24*7  or  this  has  to  follow  the  schedule  of  lights  ?  Can  you  suggest  some  cost  effective  alternatives  for  the  cylinder  and  regular  setup,these  will  either  be  purchased  online  or  locally  in  Hyderabad

5.  Flora  -  This  is  one  of  my  weakest  points  and  I  am  still  unsure  of  what  the  final  output  should  look  like.  I  am  posting  a  picture  of  the  rocks  arrangement  at  the  moment.So  i  would  like  your  suggestions  on  the  Fore-,Mid-  and  Background  plants.  Do  keep  in  mind  the  available  setup  for  filtration,lighting  and  CO2

6  Fauna  -  The  most  attractive  part  of  the  tank  and  I  wish  to  have  a  shoal  of  2  varieties  of  tetras  in  the  tank  (Neon  and  glowlight  as  of  now),probably  5  pairs  of  each  type.I  will  add  RCS  or  other  shrimps  at  a  later  date

7.  Other  Peripherals  -  I  will  be  purchasing  a  frontier  timer  for  the  lights  and  few  small  accessories  for  planting  and  catching  fish.

I  am  posting  a  few  pictures  of  the  current  setup  below

Regards
 Revverend
elimoses3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:02 pm Post subject: Re: Revverend's nano planted tank Reply with quote

Good  going
ashirahmed
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:48 am Post subject: Re: Revverend's nano planted tank Reply with quote

Looks  nice
 Co2  -  will  go  with  photoperiods,  have  solenoid  and  timer  to  switch  it  off  with  lights.
 Lighting  -  6500K  is  suppose  to  be  best  for  plants,  I  faced  stunted  growth  of  HC  carpet  with  10000K,  experts  can  comment  more  on  it.
Revverend
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:49 pm Post subject: Re: Revverend's nano planted tank Reply with quote

elimoses3  wrote  (View  Post):                
Good  going                

Thank  you  :)

ashirahmed  wrote  (View  Post):                

Looks  nice
 Co2  -  will  go  with  photoperiods,  have  solenoid  and  timer  to  switch  it  off  with  lights.
 Lighting  -  6500K  is  suppose  to  be  best  for  plants,  I  faced  stunted  growth  of  HC  carpet  with  10000K,  experts  can  comment  more  on  it.

Thanks  ashirahmed.  I  have  looked  at  information  in  other  forums  and  found  mixed  reviews  for  the  6500  vs  10000  K  debate.Predominantly  based  on  the  fact  that  the  emission  spectrum  of  10000K  lights  between  two  brands  can  be  different  and  it  is  the  availability  of  red  and  blue  wavelengths  in  the  emission  that  matter  rather  than  the  color  temperature  .

Any  clue  where  I  can  look  for  6500K  T5  1ft  tubes  online  ?
Aquaholic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:00 am Post subject: Re: Revverend's nano planted tank Reply with quote

Quote:                
Hello  IAH

It  is  good  to  be  back  !  

I  am  Sudhir  ,based  in  Hyderabad  and  was  a  member  of  IAH  precisely  8  yrs  back  .  It  was  during  my  college  days  I  was  active  and  crawling  though  this  most  invaluable  site  for  aquarists.  I  was  naive  and  a  bit  immature  back  then  but  was  able  to  put  together  a  rudimentary  tank  with  java  moss  and  neon  tetras  along  with  a  couple  of  RCS.  As  I  completed  my  graduation  and  moved  cities  in  lieu  of  the  rat  race,my  interest  weaned  away  until  a  few  weeks  back  I  happened  to  pass  by  a  wonderful  aquarium  store  in  Hyderabad,"Aquascape  Addicts"  .  I  was  spellbound  and  speechless  at  the  amazing  planted  tanks  Mr.Shah  has  put  up.This  rekindled  my  interest  in  the  hobby  reminiscent  of  the  calm  that  comes  with  setting  up  your  aquarium.

Fast  forward  a  few  days  of  crawling  the  forums  and  overwhelmed  by  the  wealth  of  information  along  with  the  availability  of  equipment  on  par  with  the  world,I  made  an  impulsive  purchase  yesterday,from  Aquascape  Addicts,for  a  few  items  :

1.  Glass  tank  (regular  glass)  -  18"x  12"  x  12"
 2.  Platinum  Soil  -  3  Litres
 3.  SunSun  T5  tubes  15W/10,000  K*2  nos  +  a  holder  for  the  tubes
 4.  ADA  super  4
 5.  Driftwood+3.5  kgs  of  rocks                  

Welcome  back  Sudhir,

Syed  is  a  great  guy  and  a  dedicated  hobbyist!!

Quote:                
As  my  profession  requires  me  to  be  travelling  through  the  week,I  would  be  working  on  the  setting  up  the  tank  over  the  weekends.I  am  going  to  take  it  slow  and  I  want  the  tank  to  mature  into  a  lush  green  setup  that  I  can  sit  and  watch  for  hours.

I  need  some  help  on  the  following  front.Appreciate  your  inputs  on  :

1.  Filtration    -  The  tank  capacity  is  close  to  40  L/10  G.Now  for  this  size  I  am  sure  an  internal  power  filter  or  a  HOB  is  recommended.Although  the  LFS  recommended  me  to  go  for  a  HOB  instead  of  a  power  filter  (which  might  be  an  eyesore  in  the  scape)  ,I  am  leaning  towards  a  small  canister  filter.My  reasons  for  this  is  ample  biological  filtration  and  flexibility  to  add  media  or  any  other  additives  ,external  to  the  tank.

I  understand  that  the  filtration  capacity  required  is  8-10X  the  capacity  of  the  tank  ,which  comes  to  400  LPH.  I  am  unable  to  zero  in  on  a  particular  model.  I  came  across  the  following  models

a.  Eheim  2211
 b.  Fluval  106
 c.  SunSun  HW  603
 d.  Boyu  EF-05

Q  :  What  would  you  guys  recommend  for  this  capacity  ?  I  am  open  to  looking  at  other  VFM  models  but  I  would  stick  to  reliable  brands                  

a.  Eheim  2211   -  Prefer  this  however  a  bit  expensive
 b.  Fluval  106   -  Expensive
 c.  SunSun  HW  603  –  Not  a  huge  fan  of  SunSun
 d.  Boyu  EF-05   -  Yes  VFM,  compact  and  seems  like  it  does  a  good  job.

Quote:                
2.  Lighting  -  The  current  setup  is  total  of  30W  which  equates  to  around  3W/gallon.  This  is  perfect  for  high  tech  plants  in  the  system  and  would  be  recipe  for  Algae  if  not  managed  properly.  However,on  the  spectrum  of  light,10000K,I  am  doubtful  whether  this  is  right  for  plants.6500  K  is  the  natural  daylight  spectrum  and  if  it  has  an  advantage  over  the  10000K  lights,I  would  switch  the  same.

Q  :What  are  the  your  thoughts  on  the  light  spectrum  and  wattage  ?  I  get  the  point  that  without  listing  the  flora  it  is  difficult  to  suggest  but  for  a  predominantly  carpet  plants,moss  and  ferns,Do  you  think  any  changes  need  to  be  done  ?                

A  combination  of  lights  between  between  4000  to  9000  k  is  the  best.  Not  that  plants  don’t  grow  under  10000k,  there  are  many  who  use  these  with  good  result.

Quote:                
3.  Substrate  -  I  have  sprinkled  the  contents  of  ADA  super  4  onto  the  base  before  pouring  in  the  substrate  (Recommended  by  LFS).  I  do  not  plan  to  make  any  changes  to  the  substrate  in  the  near  future  ,except  for  rescaping  .

Q  :  I  have  heard  of  Platinum  Soil  before  but  have  not  used  it  personally.  Online  reviews  quote  that  it  leeches  a  lot  in  the  initial  days  so  frequent  water  changes  are  recommended.What  is  your  take  on  this  substrate  and  what  is  the  kind  of  water  change  schedule  I  should  follow  ?  I  will  be  doing  the  initial  filling  along  with  the  plants  in  it.Is  this  recommended  or  should  I  do  a  1  week  run  with  only  the  substrate  and  filtration  on  ?                

Yes  you  need  to  cylcle  most  of  the  substrates  like  ADA,  Genesis  etc,  so  for  the  first  four  weeks,  you  have  to  do  massive  water  changes  to  reduce  ammonia  etc.  If  not  cycled,  the  plants  and  critters  die  due  to  high  ammonia.  
 This  is  what  i  do  to  cycle  ADA.
 80  to  100%  water  changes  the  next  day  of  setting  up  the  tank  .
 50%  water  changes  on  alternate  days  for  the  next  one  week.
 50%  water  changes  thrice  a  week.
 50%  water  changes  twice  a  week  for  next  two  week  and  once  a  week  thereafter

Quote:                
4.  CO2  setup  -  I  am  planning  to  have  a  full  fledged  setup  for  CO2  ,Cylinder+Regulator+Solenoid+Dispenser  .  Complete  CO2  setups  are  turning  out  to  be  really  expensive  as  much  as  tank+peripherals.

Q  :  Does  CO2  need  to  run  24*7  or  this  has  to  follow  the  schedule  of  lights  ?  Can  you  suggest  some  cost  effective  alternatives  for  the  cylinder  and  regular  setup,these  will  either  be  purchased  online  or  locally  in  Hyderabad                

CO2  is  required  only  during  the  light  period.  No  harm  in  running  it  24X7  however  its  a  waste  of  CO2.
 If  you  want  CO2  setup  on  the  cheap  –  For  cylinders  check  with  local  CO2  suppliers  (  Soda  gas  dealers,  Fire  extinguisher  dealers  etc).   For  regularor,  you  could  check  with  gas  welding  stores,  you  get  a  good  industrial  grade  regulator  as  low  as  Rs  800.  The  rest  like  bubble  counter,  diffuser  etc  you  can  get  it  from  any  online  stores.

Quote:                
5.  Flora  -  This  is  one  of  my  weakest  points  and  I  am  still  unsure  of  what  the  final  output  should  look  like.  I  am  posting  a  picture  of  the  rocks  arrangement  at  the  moment.So  i  would  like  your  suggestions  on  the  Fore-,Mid-  and  Background  plants.  Do  keep  in  mind  the  available  setup  for  filtration,lighting  and  CO2                

You  link  seems  to  be  broken,  pics  not  visible.

Quote:                
6  Fauna  -  The  most  attractive  part  of  the  tank  and  I  wish  to  have  a  shoal  of  2  varieties  of  tetras  in  the  tank  (Neon  and  glowlight  as  of  now),probably  5  pairs  of  each  type.I  will  add  RCS  or  other  shrimps  at  a  later  date                

Good  choice

Quote:                
7.  Other  Peripherals  -  I  will  be  purchasing  a  frontier  timer  for  the  lights  and  few  small  accessories  for  planting  and  catching  fish.                

OK

Good  Luck!!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  New Members and Beginners All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: