51. Guest
52. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,836

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - PLL installation failure, help needed
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

PLL installation failure, help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Lighting Equipment - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saadali
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:36 am Post subject: PLL installation failure, help needed Reply with quote

hi  friends,
                         I  had  bought  two  36watt  PLL  tubes(crompton  greaves  made)  one  more  to  be  added  soon,  two  copper  ballasts(local  variety)  and  starters  for  both.  now  the  problem  is  with  the  connection  stuff  and  installation.  As  i  dont  stay  at  home  most  of  the  time,  i  instructed   my  brother  to  get  the  hood,  bulbs,  ballasts  and  starters  to  the  electrician  and  get  the  lights  installed.   
 I  instructed  him  to  get  the  ballasts  fixed  outside  the  hood  on  a  wooden  plank,  
   eventually  i  came  back  home  and  so  did  the  hood  with  the  lights.
 I  cannot  make  out  wether  the  ballasts  are  connected  in  parallel  or  series,  
 I  had  connected  the  light  mains  into  my  UPS  spike.
 The  ballasts  seem  to  be  heating  up....  is  this  normal???????????.  
 now  the  problem,,......  one  light  is  not  working  properly  (  just  flickering)  but  now  and  then  it  happens  to  stay  put  then  goes  spoof......!  anyways  i  remeved  the  starter  in  order  to  prevent  damage,  another  one  was  fine  until  an  hour  from  now  but  now  its  gone  (not  working)  not  even  the  starter  is  blinking.  
   Sad  Sad  
 can  anyone  help  me  on  how  the  connections  must  be  given  wether  in  series  or  in  parallel.
 what  might  be  the  problem,  is  it  wid  the  connexion,  the  ballasts,  power....................  
 i  wish  to  get  everything  redone  in  a  correct  manner
   friends  plzzzzzzzz  diagnose  my  problem  and  give  a  suitable  treatment.........
                                 any  more  information...........  i  am  more  than  ready  to  give........
                                                                                                         thanking  ya........
                                                                                                                Saad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
aquamann
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:04 am Post subject: Re: PLL installation failure, help needed Reply with quote

Hi  Saad,
 If  the  ballasts  are  wired  separately,  compare  the  working  one  to  the  flickering  one.  If  they  are  wired  the  same,  exchange  the  two  bulbs.  If  the  problem  stays  with  the  associated  ballast,  then  the  problem  is  with  the  ballast  or  the  starter,  otherwise  it  is  the  bulb.  If  it's  the  bulb,  you  can  try  taking  the  non-working  bulb  out,  hold  it  vertically  with  the  contact  end  up,  and  gently  tap  the  upper  end  in  the  palm  of  your  hand.   Now  put  the  bulb  back  in  and  power  it  up.  This  might  do  the  trick.  Sometimes  the  coating  powder  will  stick  to  the  filaments.  Yes,  ballasts  should  heat  up.  They  shouldn't  get  hot  to  the  point  of  giving  off  a  hot  tar  smell.
saadali
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:39 am Post subject: Re: PLL installation failure, help needed Reply with quote

hi  aquaman,  
                              The  ballasts  ssem  to  be  interconnected  as  i  can  make  it  out  by  looking  at  it  but  am  not  sure  enough.   
   are  the  lights  supposed  to  be  connected  in  a  series  connexion  or  seperately..........
   will  try  out  the  trick..........
                                                                                                   thanx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
aquamann
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:49 am Post subject: Re: PLL installation failure, help needed Reply with quote

Saad,
 Are  these  your  lamps?  http://www.cglonline.com/cg/avs/home/lighting/lightsources/cfl/light-4pin/
 Do  the  ballasts  have  a  manufacturer  and  model  number  on  them?  If  you  can  get  that  information,  I  could  get  you  a  wiring  diagram.  I  will  look  for  a  book  at  work  tomorrow  morning.  Many  years  ago,  I  maintained  our  company  lighting.  It  was  before  compact  fluorescent  lighting.  We  have  a  good  resource  of  information  available.
saadali
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:05 pm Post subject: Re: PLL installation failure, help needed Reply with quote

whoa..........!!!!!!!!!!!   
                                    did  i  post  so  many  replies  ...........  no  sir  .
 after  cliking  the  submit  button  i  kept  seeing  an  error  page  and  kept  on  going  back  and  clicking  submit.  maybe  thats  why  the  muktiple  posts
 Respected  mods/admins  please  do  the  helpfull...

Now  to  the  main  point,  yes  aquaman  those  are  the  lamps  i  am  having,  i  am  using  regular  but  locally  made  copper  ballasts,  and  starters  of  course.
 The  problem  has  been  identified  ==  low  voltage,  which  the  ballasts  couldnt  manage.  Tis  electrician  fella  advised  me  to  get  two  20  watt  ballasts  installed  to  act  as  adjuvants,  would  like  to  have  your  views  on  this  idea...................

warm  regards
                                                                                                                                  Saad.........
aquamann
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:12 am Post subject: Re: PLL installation failure, help needed Reply with quote

I've  never  heard  of  doing  this.  The  key  here  is  in  the  ballasts.  Here  are  a  couple  of  links  to  a  catalog  I  have  on  my  desk  right  now.
 2  lamp  ballast
 1  lamp  ballast
 These  are  for  220-240  vac  50-60  hz.  They  are  made  in  Illinois,  USA.  Â What  is  your  supply  voltage  and  frequency?
 Do  you  know  of  any  shipping  service  from  the  US  to  India?  Maybe  that  was  a  dumb  question.  Â Sad

Last edited by aquamann on Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
tinasam
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:27 am Post subject: Re: PLL installation failure, help needed Reply with quote

hey  guys  
 just  call  a  electrician  and  finish  the  job  simple
 rgds
 sam
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:49 pm Post subject: Re: PLL installation failure, help needed Reply with quote

Hi  Sadalli
 I  think  if  you  can  hold  of  good  electrician,  your  problems  will  be  solved.
aquamann
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:11 pm Post subject: Re: PLL installation failure, help needed Reply with quote

I  was  a  practicing  Journeyman  electrician  for  9  years.  I  do  a  bit  of  side  jobs  for  friends  and  do  use  some  of  it  on  the  job  now.  I  moved  up  the  ladder  and  am  pretty  much  desk  bound  now.  I  would  stop  over  at  Saad's  house  with  a  ballast  in  hand  but  I  am  8500  miles  away!  Sad
saadali
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:56 pm Post subject: Re: PLL installation failure, help needed Reply with quote

hey  buddy  Aquaman,  no  problems  i  flung  back  the  setup  back  to  the  electricians  tabletop  
 and  will  get  it  back  probably  by  tomorrow  morning  
 will  update  about  the  developments
saadali
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:29 pm Post subject: Re: PLL installation failure, help needed Reply with quote

hello  friends,  
                                 at  last  my  tank  is  under  lights  thanks  to  the  electricity  department  who  have  changed  the  previous  faulty  transformer  with  a  new  one.  
 my  tank  is  36x18x18,and  have  36x2pll`s  what  would  be  the  effective  volume  and  how  much  wattage  do  i  have  to  increment  ?
                                                                                                                           thanks  in  advance
                                                                                                                                        Saad............
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:31 pm Post subject: Re: PLL installation failure, help needed Reply with quote

Hi  Saadil

Quote:                
what  would  be  the  effective  volume  and  how  much  wattage  do  i  have  to  increment  ?  

Your  tank  volume  would  be,  with  the  assumption  that  you  have  3  inches  of  sand  and  1/2  inch  left  on  top,  155  lts  [41  gals].  if  you  take  lighting  at  3  watts/gal  you'll  require  123w
 and  if  you  want  2.5  watt/gal  it  is  102w.  

I  feel  you  should  go  with  3  plls  giving  you  108w  in  total.

Regards
         Harshal.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Lighting Equipment - General All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: