Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:30 pm Post subject: Announcing Aquarium Photo Competition - March 2007
Since this is an Aquarium Photo Competition, a maximum of 3 pictures per aquarium can be posted. Each participant is however allowed to enter only pictures of one aquarium in the competition. Only photos of fish tanks may be entered, fish bowls are not permitted.
Each entry must include the following details or will be disqualified for lack of information:
1. Tank capacity in US gallons (1 US gallons = 3.7854118 litres)
2. Tank inmates
3. Category: Planted, non-Planted
4. Owner: Please provide your real name if you want credit for the pictures
Depending on the response received, the photographs may be classified into categories which may be announced during the course of the competition, but before judging begins.
In case of multiple categories, a winner will be announced from each for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. All other rules remain the same as the previous competition.
Last date to submit entries is 20th March 2007.
How many and what kind of photos can I submit?
Number of entries permitted: Only 1 Aquarium per participant may be entered in the competition
Topic of competition: Aquarium Photos
Number of photographs: You may submit up to 3 pictures of the aquarium being entered into the competition
Suggested photographs: 1 full shot of the aquarium with the cabinet/stand and canopy cropped; 1 side profile, and any one other profile of your choice that you think looks best. These are not mandatory and you may choose to submit different shots.
Size of photographs: Photographs should not be more than 800 pixels wide, 600 pixels high and 1 MB in size.
Names of pictures: Your photographs should be named your username followed by 1, 2, or 3. Example, clownygirl1 is my main shot, clownygirl2 is a side profile of the tank etc.
How do I submit photos?
1. Click on the link below to open the March 2007 Aquarium Photo Competition Album:
2. Click on the â€œAdd Itemsâ€ link on the left.
3. Click on the â€œBrowseâ€ button next to the â€œFileâ€ box and select the correct picture from your computer. Make sure that the photo is the right size and correctly named.
4. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click â€œAdd Itemsâ€
5. Once the main album page opens, select â€œEdit Photoâ€. Click on the â€œCustom Fieldsâ€ tab on the top and fill out the relevant information for your photograph. Ensure that all fields are filled out or your photograph will be disqualified. Click on Save.
Code on conduct for Judges: Judges should not only be impartial but should also seem to be impartial.
1. Ranking will start only after closure of competition.
2. Judges will not try to contact the participants.
3. Judges will not comment on any photograph before or during the competition.
4. Judges will not consult with each other, try to influence each other or be privy to each others scores during the course of the competition.
5. Individual scores kept by each judge will not be made public. Only the final scores will be announced.
The following guidelines are for the participants to read and for the judges to use to grade the photographs as fairly as possible. All aspiring judges need to carefully review the content of this article before volunteering to judge.
1. The judges will rate each photograph based on the grading system below.
2. The photograph will first be rated for relevance. Only photographs that get a majority vote from the judges for relevance will be graded for the competition. The rest will be eliminated.
3. Judges will then rate the qualifying photographs on a scale of 1 - 10 on for each of the remaining criteria.
4. The score of each entry (3 photographs of a single aquarium) will be the total of the ratings by the judges.
5. The maximum score can be up to 80 points.
6. In case of multiple entries by a participant, only the entry submitted first will be considered. All others will be disqualified.
7. A ranking of all qualifying photographs will be done.
8. Only the 3 highest photographs will be awarded. They will be ranked as 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners.
9. In case of a tie for any place, joint winners will be declared.
10. Results will be declared by 8 pm third day after closure of competition.
RELEVANCE â€“ Is the photograph in line with the competition? Rating YES, NO. YES indicates picture will be included in competition, and NO means picture will be eliminated. For a photo to be included, majority of judges should rate it as a YES.
IMPACT â€“ What you see first; first impression; strong feeling of power; holds your eye. Rating 1 â€“ creates no impact, 10 â€“ highest possible impact.
CREATIVITY â€“ Use of imagination; originality; freshness of approach; unusual cropping/use of subject matter; invention, design, feeling and imagination that lifts the work into the realm of art. Rating 1 â€“ not at all creative, 10 â€“ most creative.
STYLE â€“ What sets the work apart from others; different but consistent way of seeing; different approach; real, not contrived; experimental; individual. Rating 1 â€“ has no style or individuality, 10 â€“ very different from other photographs in an experimental way.
COMPOSITION â€“ Good placement of subject; angle of photography; successful arrangement; harmonious proportions; dynamic symmetry to place most important objects; good rhythm in repetition: colour, spaces, moods, divisions of photograph.
COLOR BALANCE â€“ Good technique; clarity of colour of subject matter; creative use of colour (complementary colours, dark against light, strong against weak)
CENTER OF INTEREST â€“ Dominance of subject matter; grouping of subject and arrangement of objects so one centre of interest prevails; subject holds the eye without distractions; moody or misty; strength and definition gives centre of interest; secondary subjects don't overpower main subject
LIGHTING â€“ Good statement of light; good portrait lighting; dynamic lighting; pattern of light enhances create strong mood and focuses on the subject.
FOCUS and SHARPNESS â€“ Picture should not be blurry, out of focus or soft. All lines, colours and shapes should come across as sharp.
Judges Code of Conduct and General Guidelines have been put into place with Sandeep Raghuvanshi's help.
Part of the Grading System has been inspired by the Photographers Forum Judging Guidelines
PS. You may not use this thread to post pictures. You may however post any queries you have regarding the competition here and we will respond to them as fast as we can.
Last edited by ClownyGirl on Thu May 17, 2007 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Joined: Jan 14, 2004 Posts: 288 Location: Hyderabad, India
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:39 pm Post subject: Re: Announcing Aquarium Photo Competition - March 2007
Hi Vanita, i think each photo must also include details as to what substrate, filteration, lighting, fert dosage if any and water parameteres. tank inmates, should be both ftora and fauna. in the case of category:planted, non planted we have to then specify that this is a FW competition. that would not be fair to people who keep marine tanks.
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:31 pm Post subject: Re: Announcing Aquarium Photo Competition - March 2007
Good point, I think I can add another field saying Freshwater or Marine. We have not decided how the categories will be used at this point, it would really depend on the number of entries that come through.
If we have enough entries, we will make separate categories, other wise it will remain a general fish photo competition.
There are text fields that participants are welcome to use to provide as many details of the inhabitants (flaura and fauna) as possible. It would make for interesting pictures
Joined: Feb 15, 2006 Posts: 2588 Location: Coimbatore
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:25 am Post subject: Re: Announcing Aquarium Photo Competition - March 2007
Working perfectly for me, Babu. Please recheck on whether you had logged in before going to this page. If you had clicked on this link, then logged in and pressed the back button to get back to this page, you need to refresh the page to see the add album link.
I have included my test album which will be deleted shortly.
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:10 pm Post subject: Re: Announcing Aquarium Photo Competition - March 2007
Thanks for pointing it out, tested it after booting nature_lover's access and it now works fine. Please try posting your pictures again and let us know if it works. We are so looking forward to our first entries.
All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours Goto page 1, 2, 3Next
Page 1 of 3
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum