53. Guest
54. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,858

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - cut out to keep a planted discus tank???
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

cut out to keep a planted discus tank???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:29 pm Post subject: cut out to keep a planted discus tank??? Reply with quote

hi  everyone
 Have  not  posted  in  a  long  time  as  i  had  been  really  busy  but  not  finally  getting  time  to  get  my  hobby  back  on  track.had  taken  a  break  from  discus  but  i  guess  once  you  keep  them  there  is  no  way  you  can  get  out.
 Last  sunday  visited  Ritesh  (Nanu)  place  and  loved  his  tank...many  of  you  might  have  seen  the  pics  posted  here...which  is  really  tempting  me  to  go  in  for  a  planted  tank  myself
 but  i  have  tried  it  once  before  and  failed  miserably  so  want  to  take  things  slow..right  now  have  6  discus  and  20  odd  tetras  in  aa  3  18  21  i  might  add  2  or  4  discus  more  to  this..they  all  between  3  and  4  inches...
 now  i  wanna  start  slow  with  some  driftwood  with  annubias  tied  on  in  a  bare  tank  and  see  how  it  goes  from  there...do  i  need  to  add  co2  to  the  tank  just  for  annubias??also  i  have  a  hitachi  tube  in  my  tank  do  i  need  to  add  any  other  sort  of  special  light  for  the  plants  to  grow?and  what  about  ferts?can  i  add  some  crypts  in  pots  too?
 looking  forward  to  all  your  replies  and  Ritesh  dont  know  if  i  should  hate  u  or  no  for  putting  the  planted  discus  tank  bug  in  my  head   Chuckle  
 Hamza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:18 pm Post subject: Re: cut out to keep a planted discus tank??? Reply with quote

toomanyfish  wrote  (View  Post):                
right  now  have  6  discus  and  20  odd  tetras  in  aa  3  18  21  i  might  add  2  or  4  discus  more  to  this..they  all  between  3  and  4  inches...
 now  i  wanna  start  slow  with  some  driftwood  with  annubias  tied  on  in  a  bare  tank  and  see  how  it  goes  from  there...                

do  i  need  to  add  co2  to  the  tank  just  for  annubias??                

Hi  Hamza,

Think  twice  before  injecting  CO2  in  a  Discus  Aquarium,  may  cause  pH  swings,  all  depends  on  the  waters  buffering  capacity(please  lookup).  IMO,  CO2  is  not  necessary.  Moreover  when  you  say  that  you've  failed  in  your  previous  attempts  top  keep  a  planted  aquarium,  now  with  Discus  it's  certainly  not  advisable.  

and  what  about  ferts?                

Again,  not  required,  besides  the  regular  water  changes  that  Discus  requires  will  take  care  of  the  nutrient  requirement  for  plants.  

also  i  have  a  hitachi  tube  in  my  tank  do  i  need  to  add  any  other  sort  of  special  light  for  the  plants  to  grow?                

Hitachi  lamp  may  make  your  fish  look  nice,  I  personally  don't  prefer  this.  You  can  opt  for  Philips  Truelite  or  a  combination  of  6500K  &  4000K  lamps,  T8  should  do  just  about  fine.  2W-3W/gallon  should  be  fine.

can  i  add  some  crypts  in  pots  too?                

Crypts  generally  melt  with  drastic  water  changes  &  may  not  do  as  well,  besides  they  won't  be  able  to  tolerate  the  temperatures  in  a  Discus  Aquarium.  However,  there  is  no  harm  in  giving  it  a  try.

When  selecting  plants  keep  in  mind  the  following  â€“  Light,  Temperature,  Water  changes,  all  w.r.t  to  fish  requirements,  assuming  these  are  on  priority.  Best  to  select  slow  growing  plants  with  low  light  requirements  &  not  so  demanding  in  terms  of  substrate  or  can  grow  on  Driftwood  or  rocks.
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:41 pm Post subject: Re: cut out to keep a planted discus tank??? Reply with quote

thats  why  i  have  selected  annubias!!!
 Would  this  plant  too  not  grow  in  the  hitachi  lamp..lets  assume  i  plan  to  keep  an  annubias  only  tank  with  discus  as  the  main  focus  and  some  tetras..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:52 pm Post subject: Re: cut out to keep a planted discus tank??? Reply with quote

..why  dont  you  add  one  of  each  tube,  Hitach  Pink  for  extend  viewing  times  when  you  are  home  and  true  lite  when  you  are  in  the  Shop  during  the  day...?

..try  the  BB  tank  with  Anubais  and  Ferns  and  no  Co2  and  no  Ferts  and  see  if  you  like  the  growth  rate  of  the  plants.

..later  on  you  can  start  to  add  whatever  you  think  is  required...like  more  Co2  or  even  small  amounts  of  Ferts.

My  crypts  seem  to  be  doing  fine  at  Discus  temperatures,  as  you  have  seen,  and  my  tank  is  very  rarely  lower  than  29'C.

..Good  luck,  seriously  Hamza  just  start  planting  your  tank  with  Anubais  and  Ferns  and  you'll  see  it  is  not  too  hard  to  manage...
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:44 pm Post subject: Re: cut out to keep a planted discus tank??? Reply with quote

easy  for  you  to  say  you  have  a  gorgeous  discus  tank  running   Very Happy  
 still  interested  in  the  annubias  and  tetras  if  you  selling
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:40 pm Post subject: Re: cut out to keep a planted discus tank??? Reply with quote

Would  this  plant  too  not  grow  in  the  hitachi  lamp..lets  assume  i  plan  to  keep  an  annubias  only  tank  with  discus  as  the  main  focus  and  some  tetras..                

It’s  not  that  it  won't  grow;  it  will  grow  but  I’ve  never  used  this  lamp  so  can’t  really  say  â€¦  &  I  like  I  said  â€˜I  personally  don't  prefer  this  lamp.’  

easy  for  you  to  say  you  have  a  gorgeous  discus  tank  running   Very Happy                

What  Nanu  is  saying  is  just  as  simple  as  it  sounds.  Trust  yourself,  it's  not  at  all  difficult.  
 ATB  Smile  
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:53 pm Post subject: Re: cut out to keep a planted discus tank??? Reply with quote

Quote:                
What  Nanu  is  saying  is  just  as  simple  as  it  sounds.  Trust  yourself,  it's  not  at  all  difficult.                  

Exactly...

Just  be  patient  with  the  plants  and  the  fish,  and  you'll  have  a  lovely  tank.
 Hamza  you  are  my  Guru  for  my  Discus,  just  trust  yourself  and  go  ahead  with  plants  and  I  am  sure  you  will  be  fine,  and  ofcourse  there  is  IAH  for  help.

Cheers..  Smile
Supra
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:28 pm Post subject: Re: cut out to keep a planted discus tank??? Reply with quote

Hi,

You  should  check  out  Bhargav's(IAH  user  name  Kelidio)  Tank,  It  is  simple  yet  stunning.

With  Bhargav's  Permission  i  am  posting  this  link.

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/gallery2/v/User_Galleries/kelidio/

Hope  this  helps.

Rgds
kelidio
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:14 am Post subject: Re: cut out to keep a planted discus tank??? Reply with quote

Hi,

My  situation  now  is  that  I  have  had  14  Discus  (most  of  them  around  4.5  +  inches),  40  cardinals,  3  corys  &  2  saimaise  algae  eaters  (who  do  a  marvelous  job),  in  a  6  feet  tank  with  bare  bottom  and  8  anubia  plants  growing  very  well  with  a  30%  water  change  every  day.  
 The  water  is  around  320  TDS  and  pH  around  7.2.

The  anubias  are  growing  well  in  a  mix  of  6500K  (2  nos.)  &  4000K  (2  nos.)  2  feets  tube  lights.

I  have  never  used  any  ferts.  but  tried  to  keep  the  temp.  constant  at  28  deg.  cel.  and  water  exchanges  regular.

With  this  set-up  I  have  had  3  breeding  pairs  (with  the  frys  out  multiple  times)  but  haven't  got  the  time  to  go  all  the  way  :-(  due  to  my  work  schedule.

hope  this  helps.  
 Also,  i  can  be  reached  on  09886627475,  if  need  be.

regards,
 Bhargav
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:03 pm Post subject: Re: cut out to keep a planted discus tank??? Reply with quote

Hi  Hamza,

How  about  this:

Check  out  the  thread.

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6187
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:32 pm Post subject: Re: cut out to keep a planted discus tank??? Reply with quote

Sorry  Rocky  the  last  tank  just  does  not  appeal  to  me...
 I  want  to  do  exactly  what  Bharghav  had  done  here...
 Bharghav  would  you  like  sharing  some  experience  about  running  this  tank...i  have  6  discus  in  a  3  18  21  and  planning  to  add  a  pair  of  rose  reds..for  some  reason  just  like  Nanu  even  am  getting  more  inclided  towards  the  older  strains  rather  than  the  new  hybrid  ones  hence  the  rose  reds.
 @Nanu
 Mate  we  have  a  bit  of  a  role  reversal  in  the  last  6  months  you  the  ones  who  has  the  discus  breeding  all  around  you  while  i  was  struggling  to  keep  them  alive  and  thats  why  i  took  that  little  break  from  disucs...all  the  best  and  i  wish  i  could  have  taken  you  fish..had  i  not  bought  these  ones  i  would  have  certainly  picked  your  up.
 Hamza
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:07 pm Post subject: Re: cut out to keep a planted discus tank??? Reply with quote

...Hamza,  got  a  new  book  form  Degen  it  has  some  info  on  the  Planted  tanks  and  Discus,  can  give  it  to  you  this  evening...."Discus:  The  reference  book"

...Why  not  shift  this  tank  sooner  to  the  new  place  and  we  can  start  work  on  it  sooner,  that  way  I  can  also  give  you  some  of  the  plants  that  I  have,  and  help  you  set  it  up..if  you  need  any  holding  tanks  you  know  I  have  some  spare  now...

..about  the  fish  I  spoke  to  Peter,  he  will  keep  them  for  me  he  says  if  I  want  him  to  hold  them,  or  he  can  even  sell  them  if  the  need  comes...
Anandaqu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:05 pm Post subject: Re: cut out to keep a planted discus tank??? Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks  Rocky  for  posting  my  old  tank  pic  as  a  reference  here.

Over  the  past  year,  i  ahve  tried  various  variations  of  a  planted  bare-bottom  discus  tank.  I  currently  have  four  discus,  forty  cardinals,  4  clown  loaches  and  f  cory  cats  in  a  48  inch  X  21  X  21  tank.  It  has  potted  plants  -  anubias,  sword  plants  all  in  black  plastic  pots.  It  works  well  for  me.  Will  try  and  post  some  pictures  soon.

Earlier,  I  had  tried  anubias  in  wood.  The  big  problem  here  was  that  uneaten  beefheart  and  waste  would  accumulate  under  the  wood...so  you  had  to  take  the  wood  out  during  every  WC.  This  can  be  a  quite  a  chore.  With  black  plastic  bots,  this  is  not  necessary.  I  just  tried  DIY  Co2  2  weeks  ago  and  saw  phenemenal  growth  in  plants.  But  even  as  new  leaves  were  sprouting  up,  the  older  ones  were  growing  dark  an  withering  away.  Guess  this  is  due  to  lack  of  fertiliser.

I  am  waiting  for  my  discus  to  grown  out  to  full  size.  Once  they  grow  fully,  I  am  planning  to  convert  this  into  a  fully  planted  tank.  

IMHO  fully  planted  tanks  are  ok  for  adult  discus,  when  low-  beefheart  feeding  (once  in  2-3  days  and  tetrabits  or  frozen  bloodworms  hikari)  and  less  frequent  water  change  (once  a  week)  may  be  adequate  (deends  on  your  stocking  of  course.)  But  for  discus  to  grow,  a  BB  tanks  with  daily  WC  and  heavy  feeding  is  a  must.

Will  try  and  post  pictures  of  my  new  set  up  soon.

thanks
 anand
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:58 pm Post subject: Re: cut out to keep a planted discus tank??? Reply with quote

Quote:                
Sorry  Rocky  the  last  tank  just  does  not  appeal  to  me...                  
Hamza,  hope  this  pic  will  look  most  apealing  to  you.  Wink   Very Happy  

Tank  &  setup  belongs  to  "Takashi  Amano"  >>  The  maestro.
Maxv
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:37 am Post subject: Re: cut out to keep a planted discus tank??? Reply with quote

Hi  Hamza,

I  have  been  keeping  discus  since  2  years,  initially  i  tried  keeping  them  in  a  planted  tank  but  did  not  work  out,   feeding  BHM  makes  a   mess  in  the  planted  tank,  so  converted  it  to  BB.  

After  my  discus  are  more  than  18  months  old,  i  stopped  feeding  them  meat  mix   and  now  feeds  only  Tetra  bits.  

Last  month  i  added  some  aquarium  sand  and  put  in  couple  of  sword  plants.  With  just  one  fluorescent  tube  the  plants  may  not  grow  well,  but  at  Rs.10   plants  are  disposable,  it  will  stay  for  couple  of  months  then  can  be  replaced.   

Adding  the  sand,  few  rocks  and  plants  has  made  the  tank  look  much  better  and  even  the  fish  seems  to  like  it,  more  about  it  in  another  post.
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: