186. Guest
187. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,897

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Help Needed - Arowana
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Help Needed - Arowana

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscarmadness
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:25 am Post subject: Help Needed - Arowana Reply with quote

Guys,

Latest  addition  to  my  family  is  a  Silver  Arowana  Cheer
 He  is  all  alone  by  himself  in  my  biggest  tank  (80  inches).  I  wish  to  make  this  tank  a  planted  Arowana  tank  sometime  in  future.

Now  coming  to  the  problem.  This  is  the  fifth  day  running  and  the  guy  has  not  eaten  anything.  He  swims  all  over  the  tank  freely  (on  the  surface)  but  refuses  to  eat.  
 I  tried  feeding  him  with  Arowana  sticks,  but  he  came  closer  to  it,  looked  at  it,  sniffed  at  it  and  then  walked  away.  As  if  telling  me  "what  the  hell  is  this?  I  do  not  eat  this  stuff".  Crying or Very sad
 It  seems  he  does  not  even  realise  that,  it  is  something  which  he  should  eat.  He  is  around  5  -  6  inches  long  as  of  now.
 My  tank  water  is  fine,  with  no  Chlorine,  NH3  =  0,  NO2  =  0.  Have  not  tested  for  NO3.
 He  is  in  a  barebottom  tank,  with  a  bog  wood.

I  enquired  at  the  distributor,  who  supplied  me  the  Arowana,  he  proudly  told  me,  that  he  does  not  eat  anything  other  than  Guppies  Wall Bang

For  obvious  reasons  I  do  not  want  to  feed  him  guppies...So,  friends,  please  tell  me  some  innovative  way,  as  to  how  do  I  bring  him  to  Arowana  Sticks??

Now  if  at  all  by  compulsion,  I  need  to  feed  him  Guppies,  how  do  I  make  sure,  they  are  free  from  any  pathogens.  By  looking  at  the  guppies  it  is  impossible  for  me  to  conclude  whether  they  are  ok,  because  these  fishes  are  very  active  and  they  can  survive  with  Pathogens  inside  them  for  a  long  time.

From  yesterday  night,  the  Arowana  has  become  very  aggressive,  he  tried  to  jump  out  of  the  tank  twice  and  often  splashing  water  out  of  the  tank  with  this  tail.  As  if  getting  desperate  for  food.

Any  ideas  friends??..  Need  your  help.
Yogesh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:44 am Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Arowana Reply with quote

Generally  all  Aros  you  get  from  LFS  are  fed  on  guppies  &  other  small  feeder  fishes.  But  that  does  not  mean  Aros  stick  to  the  same  diet  lifelong.
 Aros  love  variety  of  diet  so  before  switching  directly  to  dry  food  you  can  start  giving  him  small  live  insects  like  cockroaches,  tiny  frogs,  crickets,  grasshopers,  bees  etc.
 Slowly  you  can  switch  to  dry  food  like  sticks  &  flakes  by  'Starve  &  Feed'  method.
 Alternatively,  you  can  breed  guppies  at  home  and  use  them  as  feeders  if  you  are  scared  of  parasital  infection  from  outside  feeder  fishes.

Is  splashing  of  water  happening  only  at  night?
oscarmadness
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:04 am Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Arowana Reply with quote

Yogesh,  thanks  for  the  reply  buddy

Live  insects??  Ok..  does  that  mean,  that  anyway  I  have  to  take  the  risk  of  live  food.

How  do  I  breed/quarantine  Guppies  at  home??

Splashing  is  happening  mostly  when  I  am  around  the  tank,  when  I  am  passing  by..  I  noticed  this  yesterday  evening  for  the  first  time.  Today  morning  after  I  had  worke  up,  while  brushing  the  teeth,  I  switched  on  the  lights  of  the  Aquarium,  was  taking  a  close  look  at  him,  he  splashed  water...
 This  splashing  is  always  with  a  heavy  force...

Does  it  mean  anything  to  you....??
Yogesh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:10 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Arowana Reply with quote

Breeding  Guppies  is  no  rocket  science.  You  just  need  an  extra  tank  &  few  guppies  consisting  males  &  females.  The  females  will  keep  producing  fry  which  u  will  need  to  raise  on  Brine  Shrimps  or  Daphnias.  Once  they  grow  upto  ideal  size,  just  net  them  &  feed  to  your  Aro.  Aro  love  eating  live  food  than  the  dried  ones.  However  Market  Prawns  are  commonly  fed  to  Aros  for  good  coloration  on  its  body,  so  don't  miss  MP  in  their  diet.

Regards  to  its  splashing,  maybe  the  young  fella  is  getting  spooked  by  the  movement  in  front  of  the  tank  &  also  with  the  bright  lighting  for  the  tank.  Hope  the  lid  of  your  tank  is  strong  enough  to  absorb  its  banging.  Let  the  young  fella  settle  in  for  a  while  to  his  new  home,  he  will  be  used  to  movement  around  the  tank  &  also  to  the  lights.  Don't  forget  to  pull  out  the  plug  of  tank  lights  by  night  as  fluoroscent  tubes  tend  to  flicker  at  night  which  spooks  the  Aro  &  it  will  keep  banging  the  lid  giving  you  nightmares.

All  the  best  with  your  Silver  Aro  &  post  its  pic  if  u  can.
 Below  is  the  pic  of  my  old  SA  which  grew  upto  18-20  inches  &  had  to  give  away  due  to  smaller  tank  size.

Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:19 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Arowana Reply with quote

Dear  OM
 I  too  suggest  you  to  feed  Market  available  Fresh  Prawns.
 Yogesh,
 Beautiful  Arowana  Clapping  
 Regards
 Kaushik
oscarmadness
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:42 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Arowana Reply with quote

Thanks  Yogesgh  and  Kaushik  da,

I  would  try  with  Market  Prawns..  Let  you  know,  how  it  goes...

Regards
 Subhankar
Puneri-fishwala
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:20 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Arowana Reply with quote

Hello  Subhankar,
 try  to  arrange  Feeding  quality  gold  in  kolkatta,it  will  be  good  food  for  your  arowana.same  thing  i  have  with  me  so  i  have  to  arrange  feeding  guppy  or  gold  for  my  1feet  arowana.

best  regards
 Santosh
sandipan_ece
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:13 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Arowana Reply with quote

Hello  subhankar-da,
 I  think  its  is  not  practical  to  feed  live  cockroaches,bees  and  etc...  
 It  is  easier  said  than  done.  Where  will  you  get  the  cockroaches  from?   Shocked  
 I  dont  think  there  is  any  supplier  in  kolkata,  who  can  give  u  a  steady  supply  of  live  cockroaches!!  Also  how  will  you  know  that  wild  caught  cockroaches  will  not  contain  any  harmful  parasites?!  Feeding  of  cockroaches  and  other  insects  may  cause  great  damage  to  your  fish.

Next  is  goldfish.  I  should  say  advise  you  not  feed  goldies,  since  it  will  be  too  much  cruel  to  look  at!  Yes  as  a  goldfish  keeper  i  shudder  to  think  that  someone  is  feeding  goldfish  to  some  other  fish.  There  are  people  who  will  say  that  in  nature  such  cruelty  do  take  place.  But  to  them  my  reply  is  that,  what  happens  in  nature  is  controlled  by  Almighty  God.  But  what  you  are  doing  in  your  aquarium  is  not  an  act  of  God.  So  kindly  desist  from  feeding  goldies.  Also  regular  goldfish  feeding  will  cost  you  a  lot.  And  finally  feeding  anything  live  has  its  obvious  disadvantage.
sandipan_ece
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:20 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Arowana Reply with quote

i  forgot  to  address  your  main  concern.
 Your  main  concern  is  that  your  arowana  is  not  eating.  It  is  not  eating  right  now  because:
 1.  It  is  suddenly  at  a  new  place.
 2.  Sudden  change  in  water  chemistry.  Because  i  am  sure  that  water  in  your  aquarium  is  not  the  same  as  that  of  your  LFS,  even  if  it  is  supplied  by  the  same  municipality.
 3.  Sudden  change  in  outside  tank  environment.
 4.  It  is  most  probably  fed  only  on  live  guppies.  And  it  doesn't  consider  anything  but  live  guppies  as  its  food.
 5.  It  is  yet  to  trust  you  enough.

What  you  should  do:
 If  no  option  is  left,  then  start  feeding  live  guppies.  And  try  build  the  trust.  So  that  your  fish  doesn't  hide  behind  the  bog  wood  whenever  it  sees  you  near  the  tank.  Slowly  it  will  start  equating  you  with  food.  And  then  you  should  try  to  feed  it  dry  food  like  arowana  sticks.  The  whole  process  may  take  more  than  a  months  time.  So  don't  loose  patience.
 Finally,  Happy  Fish  Keeping.   Thumbs Up
shameek
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:07 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Arowana Reply with quote

@subhankar

at  first  give  him  guppies.  at  first  arowana  will  not  eat  dry  foods.  after  2  weeks  give  him  dry  food  in  a  small  amount.  dont  worry  it  will  take  guppy.

one  thing.....at  first  put  on  the  lights  of  the  room  then  put  on  the  light  of  your  tank....do  the  reverse  at  the  time  of  putting  off  the  light  of  your  tank

if  you  suddenly  put  on  the  light  of  your  tank,  it  will  be  scared.
TIMS
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:12 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Arowana Reply with quote

Do  NOT  worry.  Its  just  because  of  a  change  of  environment  and  maybe  change  of  food.  Keep  putting  a  few  arowana  pellets  and  remove  all  uneaten  food  after  a  few  hours.  Sooner  or  later  it  WILL  eat.  My  Jardini  fasted  for  2  weeks  before  it  started  eating  Arowana  pellets.  Once  every  3  to  4  months  it  goes  on  a  hunger  strike  for  almost  3  to  4  weeks  and  then  resumes  eating  as  if  nothing  happened.  So  far  it  is  growing  nery  well  and  is  healthy  and  active.
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:16 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Arowana Reply with quote

Dear  Subhankar
 Remove  the  chitine  shells  of  the  fresh  prawns  first  then   wash  the  prawns  with  salt  water.  You  can  store  it  for  a  day  or  two  in  deep  fridge.
 Regards
 Kaushik

Last edited by Kaushik on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Yogesh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:18 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Arowana Reply with quote

sandipan_ece  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  think  its  is  not  practical  to  feed  live  cockroaches,bees  and  etc...  
 It  is  easier  said  than  done.  Where  will  you  get  the  cockroaches  from?  Â Shocked  
 I  dont  think  there  is  any  supplier  in  kolkata,  who  can  give  u  a  steady  supply  of  live  cockroaches!!                

Well,  your  kitchen  is  the  best  place  to  source  cockroaches.
 You  are  so  concerned  about  cockroaches....just  browse  youtube  and  you  will  be  amazed  to  see  small  chicken,  duck,  rats  and  even  snakes  being  fed  to  Arowanas.
oscarmadness
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:26 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Arowana Reply with quote

Thanks  guys....

Yogesh  buddy....  My  kitchen  has  no  cockroaches,  because  every  two  weeks,  I  have  pest  control  in  all  over  my  house,  except  the  aquarium  rooms....
 so  no  cockroaches...  Very Happy  but  yes  you  are  right,  I  have  seen  videos  in  You  tube,  wherein  even  lizards  are  fed  to  Arowana...  

but  for  now,  let  me  keep  trying  Arowana  sticks,  MP  and  guppy  for  the  initial  few  days..   Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: