187. Guest
188. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,750

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Attempt at a Planted Tank, Stripping down thoughts
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Attempt at a Planted Tank, Stripping down thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:52 pm Post subject: Re: Attempt at a Planted Tank, Pics Update 29 Oct 8 Reply with quote

For  a  first  time  effort,  Unni,  I  must  say,  it  is  a  very  good  job.

I  think  that  you  have  pushed  the  tenellus  too  far  into  the  gravel  (browning  of  leaves).  Pull  it  out  a  little  so  that  the  crown  is  just  above  the  gravel.  This  should  help  set  it  up  neatly.  Foreground  plants  take  a  long  time  to  settle  and  once  they  do,  you  will  see  them  shooting  out  runners.  In  a  non-CO2  setup  this  might  take  some  time.
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:59 pm Post subject: Re: Attempt at a Planted Tank, Pics Update 29 Oct 8 Reply with quote

The  filter  is  not  at  the  best  possible  location,  IMO  it  will  effect  the  filter  power  head  in  the  long  run.
 I  like  your  effort  Unni.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shreyasmrao
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:49 pm Post subject: Re: Attempt at a Planted Tank, Pics Update 29 Oct 8 Reply with quote

Hi  Unni,

I  have  also  posted  my  new  planted  tank...what  a  contrast  huh!!  Amazing  tank  (IMO  only).  I  dont  have  any  aesthetic  sense  nor  understand  the  focal  points  properly...  so  those  are  all  bonkers  for  me.  My  current  interest  is  only  to  keep  healthy  plants  and  healthy  fish.  But  for  a  new  planted  tank  enthusiast,  your  tank  looks  lovely.

Quick  question...  you  have  a  picture  of  your  tank  after  24  hours  of  planting,  how  did  you  manage  with  the  fishes  being  introduced  so  quickly??  Is  it  okay??

The  pearling  looks  amazing  (what  camera  do  you  use?  and  how  do  you  avoid  reflections?)  I  have  parrot  feather  (dont  know  the  scientific  name)  which  also  pearls  like  you  have  posted,  will  try  to  take  some  pics.

Well  done  and  keep  going.
drug
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:30 pm Post subject: Re: Attempt at a Planted Tank, Pics Update 29 Oct 8 Reply with quote

Today  is  a  Good  day.  Quite  a  few  people  whom  I  rate  highly  have  been  kind  enough  to  look  into  the  thread  and  offer  suggestions   Cheering  

rasikanayak  wrote  (View  Post):                

Hi  Unni,  Beautiful  growth  of  plants.  I  really  like  the  color  of  your  R.wallachi.  I  was  never  successful  with  them.  I  envy  you,  friend.  Regards,  Nayak.                  

Thank  you  Nayak.  I  really  didn't  do  much  with  R.Wallichi.  They  came  that  way  from  the  LFS  and  luckily  for  me  have  stayed  that  way.  I  really  hope  that  my  run  of  good  luck  holds

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                

Nice  one  Uni.  Let  the  plants  gorw  a  little  and  then  decide.  It  is  not  necessary  for  you  to  follow  any  rigid  aquascaping  principles.   You  have  a  negative  focal  point  in  the  center  of  the  aquairum,  you  can  take  out  all  plants  from  the  center  rear  of  the  tank,  leave  foreground  plants.  That  will  create  an  illusion  of  depth.  BTW  you  have  R  marcanda,  are  your  swordtails  eating  it.  Mine  chew  down  the  plant  in  one  day,  leaving  bare  stalks.                  

Thank  You  Sandeeep
 As  you  suggested  I  shall  wait  for  the  plants  to  grow  a  little  more  before  making  major  replanting.
 I  don't  have  an  issue  with  swordtails.  Its  the  Mollies  that  are  attcking  the  R.Wallichi  in  my  case.  But  Miraculously  they  do  eat  the  BBA  on  the  moss  also.  So  I  have  decided  to  keep  them.  Better  to  a  have  a  scraggly  Rotala  Wallichi  than  Black  moss  Smile

Kaushik  wrote  (View  Post):                

Dear  Unni  Nice  tank  and  evident  that  you  put  a  lot  of  labour  to  build  it.  Well  balanced  and  colorful  contrast.  I  really  like  the  final  set  up  which  hide  the  2217.  AND  not  to  mention  that  your  hand  in  photography  are  too  good.  Regards
 Kaushik                  

Thank  You  Sir,  You  are  kind  with  your  words  as  always.  {I  know  that  I  am  repeating  myself}

nature_lover  wrote  (View  Post):                
 For  a  first  time  effort,  Unni,  I  must  say,  it  is  a  very  good  job.  I  think  that  you  have  pushed  the  tenellus  too  far  into  the  gravel  (browning  of  leaves).  Pull  it  out  a  little  so  that  the  crown  is  just  above  the  gravel.  This  should  help  set  it  up  neatly.  Foreground  plants  take  a  long  time  to  settle  and  once  they  do,  you  will  see  them  shooting  out  runners.  In  a  non-CO2  setup  this  might  take  some  time.                  

Thank  You  Suraj
 I  had  a  lot  of  brown  leaves  initially,  but  now  most  have  rotted  /  been  picked  away  and  the  plants  are  putting  up  a  few  fresh  shoots.  I  had  initially  thought  that  all  the  E.Tenellus  were  dying.  You  are  probably  right,  I  might  have  stuffed  them  too  deep  in  the  sand

Severumkid  wrote  (View  Post):                
 The  filter  is  not  at  the  best  possible  location,  IMO  it  will  effect  the  filter  power  head  in  the  long  run.  I  like  your  effort  Unni.                  

Deba
 I  really  dont  have  an  option  to  keep  the  filter  under  the  tank.  Will  need  to  drill  holes  in  a  3"  concrete  slab  to  do  that.  The  landlod  will  throw  me  out  Knock   Poke   Whip   Punch  etc  etc

Shreyasmrao  wrote  (View  Post):                

you  have  a  picture  of  your  tank  after  24  hours  of  planting,  how  did  you  manage  with  the  fishes  being  introduced  so  quickly??  Is  it  okay??                  

Thank  You  Shreyas
 I  am  sure  that  your  tank  will  look  better  in  a  months  time.  I  am  beginning  to  understand  Nitin's  {nytyn}  suggestion  that  tanks  are  ideally  photographed  at  100  days.  I  had  to  resist  the  urge  to  post  the  early  pictures  every  day  for  the  past  month.
 As  for  the  early  pictures  with  fishes
 I  got  the  tank  in  early  July  and  the  filter  in  early  August.  Keeping  a  tank  with  a  filter,  but  no  fishes  is  not  an  option  when  you  have  a  enthusiastic  eight  year  old  son.  So  the  Mollies  and  the  Swords  went  in.  Thus  I  had  a  {hopefully}  cycled  Eheim  2217  to  support  the  fishes.  I  am  ware  that  this  is  not  a  good  practice  Neutral
drug
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:53 am Post subject: Re: Attempt at a Planted Tank, Pics Update 29 Oct 8 Reply with quote

Shreyasmrao  wrote  (View  Post):                

The  pearling  looks  amazing  (what  camera  do  you  use?  and  how  do  you  avoid  reflections?)  I  have  parrot  feather  (dont  know  the  scientific  name)  which  also  pearls  like  you  have  posted,  will  try  to  take  some  pics.                  

Shreyas
 I  use  an  old  Sony  DSC  H1  and  an  even  older  Sony  F717  to  take  the  pictures.  Both  cameras  have  a  hood  and  good  Macro  capabilities.  So  all  close  up  shots  are  taken  with  the  hood  pressing  on  the  glass  .  No  reflection  and  steady  camera   Thumb Up  
 The  full  tank  shots  are  taken  on  a  tripod  at  night  with  all  {except  the  tank}  lights  off.
 I  am  sure  that  you  would  have  seen  Hayath's  Thread  on  Photographing  fish.  If  you  haven't  please  read  it,  its  a  must  read  for  everyone
 Unni
drug
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:05 am Post subject: Re: Attempt at a Planted Tank, Pics Update 29 Oct 8 Reply with quote

One  More

Oto  on  Glass

sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:07 pm Post subject: Re: Attempt at a Planted Tank, Pics Update 29 Oct 8 Reply with quote

When  you  get  tennelus,  they  are  normally  grown  in  emerged  form,  nearly  all  of  their  leaves  die  out,  and  then  new  leaves  come  out.
 All  rossette  plans  including  echinodorous,  should  have  the  crown  (The  place  where  leaves  originate)  above  the  surface,  other  wise  the  plants  will  die  out.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:59 pm Post subject: Re: Attempt at a Planted Tank, Pics Update 29 Oct 8 Reply with quote

Sorry  Unni  to  miss  the  post.  A  very  good  start  I  would  say.  Now  give  time  to  the  plants  to  settle  down  and  grow.  As  of  now  forget  about  the  looks.  As  the  tank  will  mature,  the  beauty  will  come  out.  Wish  you  all  the  best.

taitaifish  wrote  (View  Post):                

unninga  wrote  (View  Post):                

Hi,
 I  dont  think  I  have  enought  right  to  speak  but  I  idnt  find  your  aquarium  very  attractive  as  you  have  planted  your  tank  very  haphhazardly.  I  can  find  any  symmetry.
 everything  in  world  has  a  focal  point.  I  can  find  it  anywhere  in  your  aquarium.
 sorry  for  the  critic  but  thast  the  first  hand  information  direct.
 Jatin                

Thanks  for  your  observations  Jatin
 The  focal  point  is  supposed  to  be  the  Nuphar  Japonica  planted  between  the  two  pieces  of  wood.  But  since  you  have  missed  it,  it  obviously  is  not  strong  enough  or  its  not  positioned  correctly.

Hello  there,
 I  feel  for  most  of  the  guys  the  focal  point  should  be  on  the  left  and  for  arabs  it  is  right.
 the  reason  is  simple-  all  islams  open  their  books  from  left  to  right  and  read  right  to  left..therefore  for  them  focal  point  is  right  and  for  us,  we  read  from  left  to  right  therefore  our  focal  point  is  left.
 So  ethically  speaking  keeping  inmind  the  true  aquascaping,  focal  point  should  be  in  corners  and  not  in  centre.

I  am  not  very  experienced  but  just  my  point  of  view.

Jatin                

Hello  Jatin............  Is  this  above  explanation  is  called  'TaiTai  Focal  Point'  or  you  are  trying  to  revamp  the  defination  of  Photographic  Focal  Point????  I  would  strongly  recomend  you  to  build  up  your  own  knowledge  base  instead  of  giving  these  meaning  less  expert  views  to  the  serious  aquarists.  If  you  are  not  expert,  do  not  comment  on  something  you  don't  know.
PC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:50 pm Post subject: Re: Attempt at a Planted Tank, Pics Update 29 Oct 8 Reply with quote

your  tank  looks  good.  dont  worry  about  yur  crypt  not  pearling  now  -  it  wasnt  the  crypt  but  algae!

you  MUST  add  a  background  -  even  a  simple  black  sheet  will  be  good  I  think
drug
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:33 am Post subject: Re: Attempt at a Planted Tank, Pics Update 29 Oct 8 Reply with quote

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                
 When  you  get  tennelus,  they  are  normally  grown  in  emerged  form,  nearly  all  of  their  leaves  die  out,  and  then  new  leaves  come  out.  All  rossette  plans  including  echinodorous,  should  have  the  crown  (The  place  where  leaves  originate)  above  the  surface,  other  wise  the  plants  will  die  out.                  

I  realized  this  a  little  late,  a  few  E  Tenellus  that  I  had  did  die  out.  The  remaining  ones  seem  to  be  holding  on  well.

T2CHATTO  wrote  (View  Post):                
 Sorry  Unni  to  miss  the  post.  A  very  good  start  I  would  say.  Now  give  time  to  the  plants  to  settle  down  and  grow.  As  of  now  forget  about  the  looks.  As  the  tank  will  mature,  the  beauty  will  come  out.  Wish  you  all  the  best.

unninga  wrote  (View  Post):                

Hi,
 I  dont  think  I  have  enought  right  to  speak  but  I  idnt  find  your  aquarium  very  attractive  as  you  have  planted  your  tank  very  haphhazardly.  I  can  find  any  symmetry.
 everything  in  world  has  a  focal  point.  I  can  find  it  anywhere  in  your  aquarium.
 sorry  for  the  critic  but  thast  the  first  hand  information  direct.
 Jatin                

Thanks  for  your  observations  Jatin
 The  focal  point  is  supposed  to  be  the  Nuphar  Japonica  planted  between  the  two  pieces  of  wood.  But  since  you  have  missed  it,  it  obviously  is  not  strong  enough  or  its  not  positioned  correctly.

Hello  there,
 I  feel  for  most  of  the  guys  the  focal  point  should  be  on  the  left  and  for  arabs  it  is  right.
 the  reason  is  simple-  all  islams  open  their  books  from  left  to  right  and  read  right  to  left..therefore  for  them  focal  point  is  right  and  for  us,  we  read  from  left  to  right  therefore  our  focal  point  is  left.
 So  ethically  speaking  keeping  inmind  the  true  aquascaping,  focal  point  should  be  in  corners  and  not  in  centre.
 I  am  not  very  experienced  but  just  my  point  of  view.
 Jatin                

Hello  Jatin............  Is  this  above  explanation  is  called  'TaiTai  Focal  Point'  or  you  are  trying  to  revamp  the  defination  of  Photographic  Focal  Point????  I  would  strongly  recomend  you  to  build  up  your  own  knowledge  base  instead  of  giving  these  meaning  less  expert  views  to  the  serious  aquarists.  If  you  are  not  expert,  do  not  comment  on  something  you  don't  know.

Thank  You  Thirtha,  both  for  the  comments  on  the  tank  and  for  the  clarification  on  the  focal  points   Chuckle  

PC  wrote  (View  Post):                

your  tank  looks  good.  dont  worry  about  yur  crypt  not  pearling  now  -  it  wasnt  the  crypt  but  algae!  you  MUST  add  a  background  -  even  a  simple  black  sheet  will  be  good  I  think

Thanks.  Purchased  LG  black  Vinyl  in  Matte  finish  this  weekend.  Will  stick  it  next  weekend.
drug
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:08 am Post subject: Re: Attempt at a Planted Tank, Pics Update 09 Dec 2008 Reply with quote

Hi
 The  past  month  of  progress  on  the  tank  has  been  a  chronicle  of  things  that  can  go  wrong  and  things  that  shouldn’t  be  done  :(

Once  I  got  a  few  positive  comments  I  became  cocky  and  decided  to  add  more  lights.  Added  the  full  compliments  of  lights  that  the  fixtures  would  allow  {36WattsX6  =  216Watts  in  total}  that  is  almost  5Watts  per  gallon

Took  the  tank  to  full  dosing.  Made  a  mistake  in  the  calculations  and  overdosed  by  a  factor  of  about  2  times.  Its  wonder  that  I  didn’t  harm  the  fishes.

Work  pressure  caught  up  and  the  Photoperiod  became  irregular  and  inconstant.

RESULT
 Algae  every  where.  The  tank  was  not  uniformly  under  algae,  but  the  foreground  E  Parvula  was  overrun  by  them.  The  slow  growing  Crypt  Parva  was  also  attacked  badly.

As  a  knee  jerk  reaction  I  reduced  the  dosing  without  touching  the  lights.  Dosing  was  with  held  for  almost  a  week.

RESULT
 All  the  plants  developed  bad  deficiencies.  The  Ammannia  Senegalensis  suffered  badly.  And  the  H  Corymbosa  developed  holes  in  the  leaves  suggesting  extreme  Potassium  deficiency.

Attempts  at  increasing  the  CO2  failed  obviously  since  there  was  a  limit  to  replenishing  the  DIY  CO2  mixture  {at  the  frequency  of  once  in  48  hours  my  wife  lost  patience  with  me}.  Now  the  yeast  bottles  are  being  changed  every  4th  day.

Currently  I  have  reduced  the  lights  back  to  144  Watts.  Taken  the  dosing  back  to  Normal.  And  wielded  the  scissors  aggressively.  Things  have  improved  a  little.  My  quest  to  source  a  pressurized  CO2  cylinder  locally  haven’t  been  successful  so  far.
 The  Algae  have  reduced  a  little  but  its  still  very  much  there.

Plants  doing  badly  are
 Ammannia  Senegalensis,  deficiencies  and  poor  CO2
 The  Rotala  Wallichi  have  become  static  after  the  last  trim  {Nayak  had  warned  me  of  this}
 The  Aponogeton  Boivinianus  has  gone  into  hibernation  or  aestivation,  what  ever  it  does  annually

Fish  added
 16  Neon  Tetras  from  the  Prince  Aquariums,  An  LFS  nearby
 15  Black  Neons  from  Kiran  in  Coimbatore
 3  more  Otos,  Again  from  Kiran
 Both  the  Swordtails  and  the  Mollies  had  fries,  No  attempt  was  made  to  slaveg  them.  The  fry  were  probably  eaten.

Fish  died
 One  Rasbora  jumped  to  its  death

Changes  in  Tank/Equipment
 Stuck  a  black  background
 Added  a  bottle  to  the  power  head  to  diffuse  the  DIY  CO2

Here  is  the  Final  status  as  of  yesterday

Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:24 am Post subject: Re: Attempt at a Planted Tank, Pics Update 09 Dec 2008 Reply with quote

Dear  Unni
 Really  eye  soothing.  Congrats  Clapping   Clapping   Clapping  
 Very  few  people  have   such  beautiful  aquascapes.Keep  it  up  and  post  the  pics  on  regular  basis.
 Regards
 Kaushik
drug
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:43 pm Post subject: Re: Attempt at a Planted Tank, Pics Update 09 Dec 2008 Reply with quote

Kaushik  wrote  (View  Post):                
Dear  Unni
 Really  eye  soothing.  Congrats  Clapping   Clapping   Clapping  
 Very  few  people  have   such  beautiful  aquascapes.Keep  it  up  and  post  the  pics  on  regular  basis.
 Regards
 Kaushik                

Thanks  Kaushik
 You  always  look  at  the  good  side  of  things   Thumb Up  
 You  are  obviously  talking  about  the  last  picture
 I  am  more  worried  about  the  pictures  above  that   Thumb Down
alpha91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:50 pm Post subject: Re: Attempt at a Planted Tank, Pics Update 09 Dec 2008 Reply with quote

Nice  progress  unni  anna...  that  bottle  is  spoiling  the  look  totally..  i  would  suggest  you  to  hide  it  somehow   Smile  
 Also,i  would  like  to  suggest  you  not  to  trim  the  moss,the  wild  growth  will  give  a  nice  look  to  the  setup
shameek
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:23 pm Post subject: Re: Attempt at a Planted Tank, Pics Update 09 Dec 2008 Reply with quote

@unni
 neat  setup  Thumb Up  
 agree  with  Shubhankar,just  hide  the  bottle  Smile  
 nice  plant  growth!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: