61. Guest
62. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,639

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shreyasmrao
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:00 pm Post subject: Re: Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

Guys,  thank  you  all...  Nothing  seems  to  be  really  enroute  to  help  me  get  rid  of  it  as  most  of  the  other  hobbyists  seem  to  be  suffering  as  well.

I  will  get  some  Cherry  Red's  and  try  and  see  if  it  will  help,  but  otherwise,  I  was  out  for  two  days  and  got  the  shock  of  my  life  today...  I  always  mentioned  about  a  plant  called  Parrot  Feather  (Now  I'm  really  curious  to  know  more  about  this  plant).  It  has  grown  (believe  me,  I  will  show  you  the  pics  tomorrow),  this  has  grown  around  5  inches  in  2  days,  must  be  a  super  fast  plant  (like  one  of  those  Kerala  Village  Expresses  I  travelled  on...I  was  sure  that  a  few  on  the  roadside  would  be  dead,  but  nothing  happened).  This  is  a  setm  plant,  so  now  I'm  planning  to  cut  it  and  plant  the  stems  again,  as  the  top  2  inches  are  already  floating  in  the  water.  I  have  put  up  the  Ph  tester  and  it  shows  a  DARK  GREEN  colour,  as  is  supposed  to  show,  so  problem  with  Ph  levels  I  suppose.

I  changed  40%  of  the  water  again  today  and  replanted  the  Parrot  Feather  more  towards  the  back.  As  far  as  my  Kerala  trip,  it  was  so  short  so  could  find  much  except  for  stones  (my  luggage  was  really  heavy,  trust  me).

Thanks  for  your  advice  Charlie,  I  dont  have  a  RO  system  yet,  but  will  get  one  soon  (Will  the  drinking  water  RO  System  be  good  enough?)  and  will  then  try  my  luck.  Also  the  Hardwater  stains  on  the  edge  of  the  water  is  really  difficult  to  combat  and  I  cannot  use  chemicals...what  do  you  guys  do  for  that?

Valisneria  seems  to  be  dying  because  of  the  Algae,  I  dont  currently  (am  touching  wood)  have  any  green  algae  problems  so  far.  Will  keep  the  post  alive  with  my  experience  down  the  line  with...  Planted  Aquariums  and  Fish  Keeping  VS  ALGAE
aquamann
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:30 pm Post subject: Re: Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

Shreyasmrao  wrote  (View  Post):                
Thanks  for  your  advice  Charlie,  I  dont  have  a  RO  system  yet,  but  will  get  one  soon  (Will  the  drinking  water  RO  System  be  good  enough?)  and  will  then  try  my  luck.  Also  the  Hardwater  stains  on  the  edge  of  the  water  is  really  difficult  to  combat  and  I  cannot  use  chemicals...what  do  you  guys  do  for  that?                

Hi  Shreyas,
 I  don't  think  the  regular  drinking  water  systems  will  remove  enough  silicate.  I  have  a  drinking  water  system  at  my  home  but  I  just  moved  myself  into  an  apartment  this  past  weekend  and  will  set  up  my  new  RO  system  shortly.  I  think  this  is  the  one  I  own  (sending  this  post  from  my  work  computer):
 My  RO  system
 It  looks  like  it  claims  to  remove  98%  of  the  silicates.  I  will  soon  find  out!
 I  have  very  hard  water  at  my  new  location  also  and  hope  the  RO  takes  care  of  it.
Shreyasmrao
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:26 am Post subject: Re: Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

Hi  Charlie,

Thanks  for  that  link,  I  am  also  planning  to  get  Kent  Mineral  RO,  but  the  main  purpose  of  the  purchase  is  for  the  drinking  water.  If  I  use  this  water  for  my  aquarium  would  that  be  good  enough?

250  USD  is  a  good  price,  I  have  a  friend  who  is  travelling  back  during  thanks  giving  from  New  York,  will  check  if  the  prices  here  vs  here  (I  mean  when  compared  with  the  Thanks  Giving  discounts  Smile  )

Thanks  again  and  I  will  also  check  how  it  will  work  when  I  have  one.  Do  you  have  any  idea  how  to  clean  the  hard  water  stains  when  plants  and  fish  are  in  the  tank?
Arnab
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:41 pm Post subject: Re: Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

Hi  Shreyas  

The  stains  can  be  removed  using  a  new(this  is  important,  no  kinks/bends)  shaving  blade.  Reduce  the  water  at  least  6  inches  below  the  salt  marks.  Hold  the  blade  at  a  very  small  angle  to  the  glass  surface  and  scrape  gradually.  It  helps  if  the  salt  stains  are  a  bit  moist.  immediately  wipe  off  the  scraped  dirt  or  else  it  will  get  mixed  with  the  water  in  the  tank.  The  blade  can  be  replaced  by  an  old  credit  card,  but  very  old  marks  will  need  a  blade.  

<--  Direction  of  scrape
                                             /     Blade   (The  angle  should  be  a  lot  smaller,  5-10  degrees)                           
                      ___________________  Glass  surface

Some  people  use  scotch  brite  or  similar  scrub  pads.  My  experience  (even  with  used  scrub  pads)  is  that  these  leaves  micro  scratches  which  becomes  visible  with  time  or  when  taking  photographs  using  flash.

Hope  this  helps.
 Regards.
 Arnab.
Shreyasmrao
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:57 pm Post subject: Re: Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

Thanks  Arnab,  will  remember.
Seetharam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:07 pm Post subject: Re: Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

These  stains  come  firstly  because  the  water  level  keeps  decresing  gradually  over  a  period  of  time,  easiest  solution  is  to  keep  topping  up  your  water  regularly.

Apart  from  that  you  can  use  normal  (slightly  used  )  Scrotch  Brite,  but  again  this  can  lead  to  scratches  escpecially  if  you  have  even  a  small  grain  of  sand  in  it.

Last  but  not  the  least  the  shaving  blade  option  as  Arnab  has  mentioned.
neoaqua
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:14 pm Post subject: Re: Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

I  had  similar  problem  (as  most  new  cycling  tanks  will).  A  pack  of  6  hardworking  mollies  and  2  juvenile  plecos  on  hire  from  LFS  did  the  trick.  In  two  days  all  plant  leaves  were  green.  Driftwood  and  stones  cleaned  up  by  plecos.  However  they  were  slow  on  the  algae  on  the  glass.  But  that  was  easy  to  remove  by  wiping.

Of  course  once  the  plecos  started  getting  Hikari  algae  wafers,  their  tank  cleaning  efficiency  reduced  drastically!
Shreyasmrao
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:35 pm Post subject: Re: Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

Thanks  Avi,  I  dont  know  who  will  risk  to  lend  me  those  soldiers  for  getting  the  job  done.  I  have  currently  whacked  about  15  Wood  shrimps  from  Surya  and  plan  to  put  in  a  few  more  by  this  week  end.  Any  good  kings  to  lend  their  soldiers  for  a  week  or  so??  Thanks  Surya  for  the  Duck  Weed  (I  hope  the  Shrimps  dont  smoke  them  Smile  )  and  the  Shrimps

I  today  removed  most  of  my  Valisneria  as  they  were  the  most  affected  and  had  started  rotting  badly,  I  have  left  only  a  few  of  them  in  my  tank  now,  but  my  worry  increases  as  I  can  now  see  the  algae  on  almomst  all  plant  and  also  on  the  floor  where  the  Glosso  has  not  yet  grown  enough  to  cover  the  entire  place.  Another  problem  that  I  see  is  that  though  the  Glosso  is  growing,  the  runners  are  floating  in  the  water  than  growing  inside  the  soil?  How  can  this  be  corrected?

Also  I  find  a  film  of  something  like  Oil  forming  on  the  top  layer  of  the  tank  which  does  not  let  the  CO2  bubbles  escape.  Is  this  being  caused  by  rotting  of  Valisneria?  I  changed  the  water  25%  first  time  I  found  such  a  thing,  but  it  keeps  coming  back  again  and  again...  whats  this?
Seetharam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:46 pm Post subject: Re: Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

Hi  Shreyas

Please  give  a  few  more  details

Whats  the  Frequency  of  Water  Change?
 CO2  Bubble  Rate?
 Lighting  on  the  Tank  in  Watts  and  Duration  it  is  on  for?
 Filteration?  Are  you  using  Activated  Carbon  for  removing  excess  nutrients?
Shreyasmrao
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:37 pm Post subject: Re: Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

Hi  Seetharam,

Water  change  every  third  day  /  twice  a  week
 CO2  was  at  two  bubbles  per  sec,  now  down  to  one  bubble  per  sec
 T5  Light  54  Watts  HO  x  4  tubes,  on  for  8  hours  a  day
 Sera  cannister  with  900  Litres  per  hour  outflow
 Media:  Filter  Wool,  some  other  plastic  media  (similar  to  wool  not  sure  what  they  are  called)  Sera  Siporax  for  inducing  nitrifying  Bacteria   
 I  dont  have  any  carbon  to  absorb  nutrients  yet,  as  I  have  not  used  any  additional  nutrients...  only  ada,  that  too,  mixed  with  Haridwar  sand

Advice  plz
Seetharam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:21 pm Post subject: Re: Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

1.  Do  a  50%  water  change  every  2-3  days  for  the  next  10  days.  After  that  a  30  -  40  %  water  change  once  a  week.
 2.  Bump  up  CO2  to  2-3  bps  as  your  lighting  is  high.
 3.  Cut  down  lighting  to  6  hrs  a  day  for  the  next  10  days,  post  that  you  can  keep  it  at  8  hrs
 4.  In  your  filter,  use  Ceramic  Rings  or  Bio  Balls  to  harbor  nitrifying  bacteria,  Use  the  regular  sponge  for  Physical  filteration,  and  Activated  Carbon  for  about  2  -  3  weeks.  Cant  explain  the  full  concept  here,  but  you  can  go  through  the  ADA  Link  below  on  filteration.

http://www.adana.co.jp/aj_web/na/basics/basics_04.html

5.  Add  a  2-  3pairs  of  black  mollies  to  cycle  your  tank  and  just  dont  feed  them  they  will  take  care  of  some  of  the  algae  (especially  hair  algae)  ....  but  please  ensure  you  get  them  from  a  good  LFS,  the  last  thing  you  want  is  a  disease  infecting  your  tank  and  also  some  2  Otto's,  Cherry  Red  Shrimps  (The  more  the  merrier)  if  you  can  get  your  hands  on  them.
Shreyasmrao
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:47 pm Post subject: Re: Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

Will  try  and  keep  up  on  the  water  change...  time  is  the  only  problem  Smile  
 CO2...  wont  it  kill  the  wood  shrimps?  The  water  test  for  PH  shows  correct  CO2  level
 I  will  cut  the  lighting,  but  the  electricity  is  doing  it  for  me  currently  Smile
 I  have  Siporax  Rings  which  are  supposed  to  be  32  times  better  than  Creamic  rings  for  the  nitrifying  bacteria,  will  also  put  in  the  actovated  carbon,  but  wont  they  act  against  each  other?  Should  I  remove  the  Siporax  rings  and  they  replace  it  by  Carbon?
 Will  try  to  get  few  millies  and  Oto's.  Will  get  the  Cherry  Reds  this  week  end
Seetharam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:01 pm Post subject: Re: Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

Yeah  i  hear  ya  ....  time  is  a  major  issue  with  most  of  us  ....  i  did  my  water  change  at  2:30  AM  today  morning   Chuckle  

Bump  it  to  3  bps  and  check,  IMO  it  should  not  affect  the  PH  drastically.  If  it  does  cut  back.  Dont  worry  about  the  shrimps  ....  they  will  be  Ok,  i  have  had  Amano's  &  Cherry  Red's  at  the  same  CO2  rate  ....  1  or  2  do  pop  ....  goes  as  collateral  damage   Smile  anyways  they  will  breed  like  crazy.

Im  not  too  sure  what  Siporax  rings  are  ,  if  they  are  similar  to  Ceramic  Rings  then  there  is  no  issues.

The  activated  carbon  wont  do  any  harm,  go  through  the  link  i  sent,  thats  the  best  reference  i  can  give,  it  also  states  somewhere  that  you  can  just  let  it  be  even  after  it  has  lost  its  characteristcs  and  can  be  used  as  a  bilological  filteration.
Shreyasmrao
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:37 pm Post subject: Re: Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

A  big  email  that  I  had  written  is  now  lost  and  I  am  retyping  :(

Seetharam,  thanks  for  the  info...

I'll  increase  the  CO2.

Check  this  link  for  Sera  Siporax  Rings,  they  are  Biological  Filteration  Media  and  are  supposedly  34  times  effective  than  normal  Ceramic  Rings.  

http://www.sera.de/index.php?id=473&L=1

As  far  as  Carbon  is  concerned,  I  will  add  them,  but  supposedly  (what  I  have  read  again)  Active  Carbon  needs  to  be  removed  regularly  otherwise  there  is  a  good  chance  that  it  leeches  out  what  all  ot  has  absorbed  during  its  active  stage.

My  PH  levels  are  very  stable  (I  dont  know  the  exact  ppm)  but  the  water  indicator  is  Dark  Green,  so  it  should  be  fine.

Performed  a  50%  water  change  yesterday  1  hour  before  you  did  (I  should  rather  say  today)

Will  get  my  Cherry  Red's  tomorrow  and  put  them  in.  

Thanks  again,  will  try  and  catch  up  weekend

Cheers
Arnab
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:37 pm Post subject: Re: Brown Algae / Diatoms HELP HELP HELP Reply with quote

Shreyas.

Wood  shrimps  and  CR  shrimps  should  not  be  kept  in  the  same  aquarium  as  they  will  produce  hybrids.  

Regards.
 Arnab.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: