228. Guest
229. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,809

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Growth of Discuss .................
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Growth of Discuss .................
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:48 pm Post subject: Growth of Discuss ................. Reply with quote

Hello,  

I  have  some  queiry  ....  Right  now  I  have  14  Discuss  in  a  54"x18"x15"  tank.  My  Tank  is  bare  bottom.  Couple  of  Bosmuni  Rainbow  &  1  Feather  fish  is  there.  I  feed  them  Tetra  bits,  Live  warm  &  sometime  Azoo  Discuss  food.  

They  are  already  more  than  8  month  +.  But  they  are  not  growing  as  I  expect.     

Can  u  tell  me  what  should  I  do  !!  

Not  :  I  have  Rena  Thermostat  in  30  degree  Temp.  and  One  power  Filter  inside.  For  Decoration  couple  of  Corals  &  and  Bobwood  is  there.  

Generally  I  change  water  once  in  a  week.  For  me  daily  change  of  water  is  quite  difficult

Right  now  I  have  :  

Super  Mellon  -  1  pair,  Red  Stone  -  1  pair,  Golden  -  1  Pair,  
 Blue  Diamond  -  1  Pair,  Turquise  -  2  Pair,  1  Red  Checkerbord  and  1  Snakeskin  

Out  of  14  arround  8  already  reached  in  4"  sizes  but  other  are  less  than  3".  

Righnow  they  all  are  good  condition  and  taking  food  from  my  hand.  

And  also  tell  me  how  many  time  I  should  feed  them.  Right  now  I  do  it  twice  a  day...  

Thanks

Abhis9  from  Kolkata

Note  :  I  already  have  some  opinion  (Like  changing  wate  40-50%  daily  basis  which  not  possible  for  me)  till  if  anybody  can  suggest  anything  else
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:51 pm Post subject: Re: Growth of Discuss ................. Reply with quote

What  about  getting  rid  of  the  coral.  Smile
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:08 pm Post subject: Re: Growth of Discuss ................. Reply with quote

Abhis9,

Friend,  I  am  not  an  expert  on  Discus.

Since  I  intend  to  keep  them  shortly  I  have  been  reading.  Well  here  goes,

Discuss  needs  soft  water.  But  the  Corals  you  have  in  your  tank  will  raise  the  hardness  which  will  stunt  the  growth.
 Boesemani  Rainbows  are  boisterous  fish  which  startle  my  Angels.  Discuss  needs  tranquil  tank.  So  they  have  to  go.
 Featherfish  needs  lot  of  hiding  places  and  are  nocturnal.  So  your  fish  compatibility  is  not  good.
 The  more  the  water  changes  the  better  the  growth  of  Discuss.  Since  like  me,  as  of  now,  find  it  difficult  to  change  water  as  required,  Should  we  keep  Discuss  at  all  till  we  are  comfortable?

Regards,
 Nayak.
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:24 pm Post subject: Re: Growth of Discuss ................. Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks  for  your  opinion.

Only  thing  I  am  not  agree  about  Coral.  Because  last  5  yrs.  I  am  keeping  discuss.  Previously  it  was  lots  of  corals  and  plants.  Also  with  other  fishes  like,  Angel,  Clown  Loach,  Featherfish,  Rainbow  etc.

This  is  the  fist  time  my  tank  is  bare  bottom  and  also  water  ph  in  control.  This  is  my  hobby  1978.  And  I  start  keeping  corals  in  tank  from  1991  onwards.  Because  I  love  them  and  right  now  they  are  not  harmful.  Because  last  few  yars  no  Discuss  is  damage  due  to  them.  Ruther  than  I  lost  lot  of  Clown  Loach.

Anyway  thanks  again  for  your  valuable  suggestion.

Keep  in  touch.

Regards

Abhis
Yogesh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:32 pm Post subject: Re: Growth of Discuss ................. Reply with quote

abhis9  wrote  (View  Post):                
Only  thing  I  am  not  agree  about  Coral.  Because  last  5  yrs.  I  am  keeping  discuss.  Previously  it  was  lots  of  corals  and  plants.  Also  with  other  fishes  like,  Angel,  Clown  Loach,  Featherfish,  Rainbow  etc.

This  is  the  fist  time  my  tank  is  bare  bottom  and  also  water  ph  in  control.  This  is  my  hobby  1978.  And  I  start  keeping  corals  in  tank  from  1991  onwards.  Because  I  love  them  and  right  now  they  are  not  harmful.  Because  last  few  yars  no  Discuss  is  damage  due  to  them.  Ruther  than  I  lost  lot  of  Clown  Loach.

Anyway  thanks  again  for  your  valuable  suggestion.

Keep  in  touch.

Regards

Abhis                

Would  love  to  see  pictures  of  your  various  discus  during  these  5  years.  Smile
ilango_slk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:36 pm Post subject: Re: Growth of Discuss ................. Reply with quote

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                
What  about  getting  rid  of  the  coral.  Smile                

Chuckle   Chuckle  

As  far  as  I  have  heard  nothing  is  better  than  regular  water  changes  ....  wait  for  experts  to  give  their  input  too.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:08 pm Post subject: Re: Growth of Discuss ................. Reply with quote

Dear  Abhis,  You  have  the  right  attitude.   Thumb Up  
 Like  most  of  us  you  take  only  advice  that  you  like.  Smile  

Reminds  me  of  my  grandmother  who  used  to  drive  a  Standard  Herald  car  in  Mangalore.

She  used  to  drive  with  the  hand  brake  on.  For  years  she  believed  that  the  warning  red  light  and  "P"  on  the  dashboard  stood  for  "perfect".

She  rubbished  counter  claims  by  newbie  drivers  and  in  time  the  cable  cut  and  the  brake  pads  wore  out.

Except  for  the  mileage  there  was  no  other  complain.

God  bless  her  soul.  She  did  what  she  believed  in  and  it  was  difficult  to  argue.
oscar-lover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:35 pm Post subject: Re: Growth of Discuss ................. Reply with quote

Dude,  you  dont  find  Corals  in  the  place  where  discus  come  from......  Smile
Discusolic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:50 pm Post subject: Re: Growth of Discuss ................. Reply with quote

Code:                
I  have  some  queiry  ....  Right  now  I  have  14  Discuss  in  a  54"x18"x15"  tank.  My  Tank  is  bare  bottom.  Couple  of  Bosmuni  Rainbow  &  1  Feather  fish  is  there.  I  feed  them  Tetra  bits,  Live  warm  &  sometime  Azoo  Discuss  food.  

Your   tank  is  not  bare  bottom  because  you  are  mentionning  that  "For  Decoration  couple  of  Corals  &  nd  Bobwood  is  there.  "
 Live  worms  are  not  safe  for  discus  ,  because  they  comes  from  polluted  source  .  try  feeding  animal  hearts  ,  or  prawns  or  frozen  hikari  worms  or  frozen  artemia  ,  or  Hikari  Bio  Gold  Discus  food  .  

Code:                
I  have  Rena  Thermostat  in  30  degree  Temp.  and  One  power  Filter  inside.  For  Decoration  couple  of  Corals  &  and  Bobwood  is  there.                  

Power  filters  produce  strong  water  current  ,  why  don't  you  go  for  Sponge  filter  .  

Code:                
Generally  I  change  water  once  in  a  week.  For  me  daily  change  of  water  is  quite  difficult                

With  above  WC  schedule  ,  your  discus  will  not  grow  well  .  you  need  atleast  20%  daily  WC  for  this  tank  to  get  optimum  growth  for  your  discus  .  Doing  max  WC  for  Discus  is  key  to  discus  growth  .

Code:                
And  also  tell  me  how  many  time  I  should  feed  them.  Right  now  I  do  it  twice  a  day...                  

Minimum  three  times  a  day  with  variation  in  feed  and  daily  WC  of  min  20%  .
 I  also  advice  to  keep  exclusive  discus  in  this  tank  and  see  the  difference  .  

Thanks
mithunda
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:00 am Post subject: Re: Growth of Discuss ................. Reply with quote

Abhi  da..  nomoshkar..

i  will  not  go  for  compatibility/bare  bottom  or  not  etc  discussion..  thats  irrelevant  to  the  question  of  growth.,..

1.  Temp  is  alright..  u  actually  can  lower  it  a  bit  to  28  degrees  celcius.
 2.  Coral  is  not  good  for  discus  tank..  the  reason  is  it  generally  releases  calcium  carbonate  in  water  making  the  water  hard..  but  if  the  coral  is  old  then  it  would  have  matured  eough  not  to  release  much  calcium  carbonate..  so  u  can  forget  that  part..
 3.  Filtration:  Not  enough  man..  1  internal  power  filter  in  4.5'  discus  tank  wich  gets  a  water  change  once  a  week  is  just  not  good.  either  get  a  Eihem  external  filter  or  make  a  100L  capacity  sump  filter  (will  cost  u  near  1000  bucks)  with  minimum  water  turnover  1500L/Hour.  Do  a  70%  water  change  per  week  as  u  cant  do  daily..
 4.  Food:  this  is  the  most  important  part  for  growth.  other  factors  are  just  to  keep  them  healthy  or  disease-free..  for  discus  growth  it  needs  heavily  protein  contained  food..  like  beef/lamb/mutton  heart.  if  u  need  direction  to  make  this  meet  me  at  guliff  steet  next  sunday..  my  number  is  9874343460..  i  would  be  there  at  9  am.  after  feeding  u  need  to  siphon  out  the  uneaten  foods..  or  just  keep  2  clown  loaches  to  clean  them  up..  dont  forget  to  siphon  out  their  stool  everyday..  use  a  narrow  airline  tube  for  this  nasty  job.

some  suggestions:  featherfish  and  rainbow  group  fishes  are  not  compatible  with  discus  for  higher  temperature..  they  prefer  cooler  water..  so  if  u  can  then  separate  them..  bog  wood  is  fine  but  remove  the  corals.  the  idea  of  keeping  bare  bottom  tank  is  to  keep  discus-water  away  from  any  kind  of  other  pollutions..  be  it  from  coral  or  plants..  so  better  stick  to  that  only..  remember  healthy  discus  is  growing  discus.
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:18 am Post subject: Re: Growth of Discuss ................. Reply with quote

Hi  Mithun,

Tanks  man....

I  will  meet  u  sunday  ....

One  thing  for  filter  Pls.  help  me...I  will  discuss  regarding  this  and  others  when  we  meet...

Take  care...

Thanks  &  Regards

Abhis
ArnabPDas
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:25 pm Post subject: Re: Growth of Discuss ................. Reply with quote

With  due  respect  --  many  people  live  in  prison  cells  for  years  but  that  not  mean  the  conditions  are  ideal  for  them.  Same  applies  for  discus.  They  may  have  acclimatized,  but  the  conditions  do  not  sound  like  anywhere  near  their  ideal.  Surviving  and  thriving  are  very  different  conditions.

Coral  is  mainly  CaCO3  and  it  raises  the  PH  and  then  buffers  it  at  that  level.  A  good  thing  in  a  marine  tank  or  a  rift  lake  cichlid  tank,  somewhat  cruel  in  a  tank  which  houses  blackwater  fish.

Scaleless  loaches  may  damage  their  skin  if  thay  try  to  get  in/out  of  crevices  in  coral  and  get  infection.  They  also  need  soft,  acidic  water  to  thrive.

Understood  you  have  been  in  the  hobby  for  a  long  time.  But  on  certain  aspects  if  you  started  things  the  wrong  way,  with  time  you  just  get  better  at  doing  those  in  a  wrong  way.  There's  always  something  to  learn  for  those  who  are  willing.
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:36 am Post subject: Re: Growth of Discuss ................. Reply with quote

Hello  Shiva,

Abhis9  for  kolkata.....

I  found  Hikari  Bio  Gold  in  kolkata...

Also  I  remove  the  feather  Fish  which  was  5"  long  as  well  as  both  the  Bosmuni  ranbow...Now  I  have  seen  my  Discus  are  more  free  than  previous...

Now  I  will  go  for  some  food  filter  ...What  about  EHIM  2217  !!

Till  I  have  14  discuss  ...But  by  next  week  I  will  sell  out  2  of  them....then  there  will  be  12  only...

Can  u  tell  me  which  one  is  Dorsal  fin  &  Anal  fin  of  Discuss  !!

Also  I  telling  u  advane  in  near  future  I  want  breed  discuss..and  that  time  need  help  from  u  guys....

Thx  &  Regards

Abhis9
 Kolkata
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:40 am Post subject: Re: Growth of Discuss ................. Reply with quote

Hi  Mr.  Admin.,

I  have  suggetion  about  the  IAH  site  ....

I  think  there  should  be  option  for  search...so  that  people  before  post  there  quiry  they  can  search  for  the  particular  topic....ruther  than  go  throrugh  all  the  posted  onne...

Like  if  want  to  know  "What's  the  food  for  Discus  Fry"  what  should  I  do  to  get  my  answer  !!

Regards

Abhi
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:51 am Post subject: Re: Growth of Discuss ................. Reply with quote

Hi  Abhi,

There  is  indeed  a  search  option  on  IAH  Very Happy   just  scroll  up  and  you  would  find  it  Smile  just  be  a  little  more  specific  with  "keyword"  and  you  would  get  your  required  topic  faster  Thumb Up  

And  IAH  has  serch  option  II  too:  top  left  of  your  home  page  http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Search

BTW  I  love  discus  too

Can  u  tell  me  which  one  is  Dorsal  fin  &  Anal  fin  of  Discuss  !!

well  all  fish  would  have  same  major  anatomy  check  this  out
 http://img.blogcu.com/uploads/akvaryumsevenler_FishAnatomy.gif

And  would  love  to  see  your  discus  pics  too

Good  luck.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: