203. Guest
204. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,891

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neelesh
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:27 am Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup Reply with quote

Hi  Rohan,

Thanks  for  your  suggestions.  I  thought  that  I  had  done  a  dense  planting  since  almost  80%  of  the  mid  and  back  is  covered.  Had  kept  the  balance  20%  to  plonk  in  some  plants  which  I  was  expecting  today.  However  as  you  suggest,  will  plant  some  more  today.  

Yes.  Will  ensure  that  all  the  lights  are  kicking  in  when  photographing  the  tank.  Tried  clicking  from  two  different  angles  as  I  thought  that  would  help  give  an  over  all  perspective.  Will  stick  to  one  angle  henceforth.

Any  opinion  or  advice  as  to  why  the  water  is  milky  and  to  nip  the  brown  algae  settling  on  leaves  ?
Neelesh
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:48 pm Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup Reply with quote

Hi  folks,

Was  just  observing  my  tank  closely.  The  plants  have  recovered  from  the  transplant  shock  and  new  growth  is  clearly  visible.  

However  the  old  leaves  of  plants  like  pygmy  amazon,  temple  are  becoming  translucent  and  breaking  off.  Is  this  often  the  case  or  something  going  wrong  somewhere?  Haven't  yet  checked  the  water  parameters  or  the  Co2  concentration.

Procured  4  pairs  of  black  mollies  and  20nos  of  ghost  shrimps..(thats  what  I  was  told  they  are).  Will  be  introducing  them  in  the  tank  a  short  while  from  now.
fishyman
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:29 pm Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup Reply with quote

Hi,
 Some  more  snaps  please.
 regards
Ranjitpai
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:34 am Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup Reply with quote

Great  show  neelesh  

I  think  once  you  introduce  the  fishes  ,  let  the  tank  be  for  sometime  ,  it  should  clear  off  quickly.  Also  let  the  tank  settle  in  and  then  the  algae  cn  be  tackeld  

Looks  great...  It  fun  meeting  you.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:17 pm Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup Reply with quote

Somehow  the  lights  seem  to  be  on  the  low  side.
 The  water  will  clear  off  in  a  few  days,  as  you  have  taken  fine  grain  gravel,  it  will  take  some  time.
 Don't  worry  about  algae  it  will  disappear  once  plants  start  growing.
 It  needs  more  plants,  if  you  don't  have  the  plants  you  want  ,plant  some  fast  growing  ones,  which  you  can  take  out  later  on,  however  if  you  leave  empty  space,  the  algae  will  have  a  god  day.
Neelesh
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:55 pm Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup Reply with quote

Hi,

The  mollies  are  doing  a  good  job  of  cleaning  the  brown  algae.  The  large  amazon  leaves  are  green  again!!
 The  shrimps  seem  to  be  nocturnal  creatures.  Can  see  them  all  around  only  when  the  lights  go  off.Most  of  the  time  they  are  underneath  the  driftwood.

Have  deliberately  switched  off  the  front  4  lights.  Could  see  a  fine  green  tinge  on  the  surface  of  the  fine  sand.

@Ranjit:  Thanks!  Shall  wait  and  watch  as  suggested.

@Sandeep:  If  you  are  referring  to  the  posted  snaps,  yes.  Had  not  switched  on  all  the  lights  when  clicking  those  snaps.
Neelesh
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:55 pm Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup Reply with quote

Hi,

Update  on  completing  week  2.

1.The  mollies  have  done  a  fantastic  job.  Have  not  fed  them  anything  since  I  got  them  last  week.  However  they  have  been  relishing  the  algae  and  pooping  at  leisure.  All  the  broad  leaved  plants  are  algae  free  and  green.  They  still  have  to  complete  20%  of  the  work  on  the  water  wisteria  and  hygrophila.

2.  Have  not  switched  on  the  front  4  tubes  since  18th  Nov.  Consequently  the  green  alage  film  developing  on  the  fine  sand  layer  in  front  has  completely  vanished.  Water  is  still  cloudy.  Looks  like  tender  coconut  water!

3.A  few  of  the  green  and  varigated  hygro  stems  have  rotted  and  floating  on  the  surface.  All  the  stems  were  shooting  new  leaves.  The  rotting  is  not  seen  on  the  complete  stem.  i.e  on  an  8inch  long  stem  the  stem  turns  brown  somewhere  at  2  inch  intervals.  Is  this  because  of  insufficient  light?  Have  seen  this  happen  only  since  last  2  days.

4.  Fine  green  algae  hair  is  visible  today  on  the  front  glass.  Am  doing  a  25%  WC  today.  Should  I  leave  the  algae  on  the  glass  for  the  mollies  to  scrape  or  wipe  it  off?

5.  When  should  I  start  macro/micro  dosing?
ame
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:54 pm Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup Reply with quote

Dear  Neelesh

Have  you  started  CO2  dosing  ?
ame
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:10 pm Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup Reply with quote

Dear  Neelesh

Sandeep  is  right.-"Don't  worry  about  algae  it  will  disappear  once  plants  start  growing.  
 It  needs  more  plants,  if  you  don't  have  the  plants  you  want  ,plant  some  fast  growing  ones,  which  you  can  take  out  later  on,  however  if  you  leave  empty  space,  the  algae  will  have  a  god  day.  "

If  I  was  you  I  will  get  LARGE  amount  of  FAST  growing,  cheap  stem  plants  like  Water  sprite  and  Giant  hygro  ,hygro  diformis  etc.

Increase  CO2  to  high  levels  ,and  with  2WPG  lights,  let  the  plants  start  growing  RAPIDLY.Belive  me  they  do  grow  real  fast.

Thats  when  algae  will  start  disappearing   Very Happy  Later  you  can  replace  all  these  plants  and  have  the  layout/design  /plant  choices  etc  which  you  like.

For  now  plants  OUTGROWING  algae  is  the  task.

That  has  been  my  experience  with  planted  tanks.
Neelesh
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:57 pm Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup Reply with quote

Hi,

Below  is  how  the  water  looked  last  sunday  before  doing  the  25%  WC

23rd  Nov.

After  doing  the  WC  and  planting  the  7  new  plant  varieties  I  procured  from  Rocky,  I  changed  the  sponge  on  the  intake  of  the  powerhead  which  runs  the  reactor.  I  replaced  it  with  a  sponge  from  the  filter  which  has  been  running  on  my  2feet  tank  for  the  last  3  years.

I  observed  that  the  water  starting  getting  cloudy  monday  onwards.  Today  it  looks  like  below
 Although  it  looks  a  greenish  tinge  in  the  photograph,  it  is  actually  a  milky  haze.  

26th  Nov

What  could  this  be?  Bacterial  bloom?  How  do  I  get  the  water  to  clear  up?
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:57 am Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup Reply with quote

Hi  Neelesh.
 It  is  possibly  bacterial  bloom  or  start  of  'Green  Water'.
 In  either  case,  it  is  best  to  wait  it  out.
 I  just  read  your  22nd  Nov  post  .
 You  should  start  dosing  immediately  as  some  of  the  plant  leaves  are  showing  symptoms  of  nutrient  deficiency.I  would  also  suggest  reducing  the  photo  period  to  8-9  hours  for  few  days  till  the  plants  hold  well.

I  know  it  is  an  eye  sore  to  have  milky  or  green  water  in  your  tank.But  waiting  out  is  the  best  solution.While  you  wait,  do  not  change  your  dosing  regime.Other  way  is  to  do  a  complete  black  out  for  4  days  and  then  do  a  massive  water  change  on  the  4th  day.  This  works  but  the  plants  do  suffer.  So  its  upto  you.

Agree  with  ame.  Hygrophilla  species  are  fast  growing  and  cheap.  Add  them  as  much  of  possible  .  

Keep  updating.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:47 am Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup Reply with quote

It  seems  you  have  erred  in  your  dosing,  it  does  look  like  start  of  green  water.  Excess  of  nutrients  with  light.
 Follow  Rohan's  advice  it  should  clear  off.
Neelesh
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:20 pm Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup Reply with quote

Hi,

Stuck  at  home  due  to  the  terrorist  attacks  and  with  nothing  else  to  do,  did  a  30%  WC  yesterday.  This  helped  to  clear  the  water  to  some  extent.  However  its  again  clouding  up.

Tank  Size  -  5ft  x  2ft  x  2.5ft  (lxbxh)
 Filtration  -  Eheim  Professional  II  2028
 Substrate  -  Laterite  topped  with  river  sand
 CO2  -  Pressurised  -  On  timer  -  3  bps  -  0830  hrs  to  2000  hrs
 Lights  -  10  nos  T8s  -  Front  to  back  (2x8000K  ;  4x6500K  ;  2x5400k  ;  2x6500K)
 Photoperiod  -  Rear  5  T8s  0900  hrs  to  2000  hrs  ;  Front  5  T8s  1000  hrs  to  2100  hrs

Did  a  macro  &  micro  dosing  immediately  after  the  water  change.  Calculated  my  empty  tank  volume  as  700  ltrs.

Magnesium  Sulphate  -  1/4th  teaspoon  for  every  200  ltrs  of  water
 Potassium  Sulphate  -  1/4th  teaspoon  for  every  100  ltrs  of  water
 Microsol  B  PMDD  -  1ml  for  every  280  ltrs  of  water.  

Clicked  a  few  snaps  of  the  ludwigia  and  temple  plant  when  I  had  drained  out  the  water.  Ludwigia  leaves  have  the  reddish  orange  colour

rajeev
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:02 pm Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup Reply with quote

I  think  there  is  a  bacterial  die  off  in  vast  quantities  because  when  you  introduced  the  filter  sponge  from  your  old  tank  there  would  have  been  an  sudden  spurt  in  bacterial  colonies  and  then  due  to  the  lack  of  food  (fish  water)  they  would  have  died  in  large  quantities.  Just  keep  doing  very  large  water  changes  and  it  should  clear
rajeev
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:05 pm Post subject: Re: Seeking Opinions on Proposed 5 Feet Planted Setup Reply with quote

I'am  quoting  this  from  an  article  and  the  solution  is  quite  logical  and  should  help  this  situation

“In-Out  flow”  is  a  kind  of  method  to  change  water  with  less  affection.  Use  two  hose,  one  for  in  and  one  for  out  simultaneously.  To  control  the  in  out  speed  in  a  very  slow  rate,  about  one  to  two  hour(depend  on  size  of  the  tank)  Most  of  the  impurity  will  be  gone.  When  using  this  method,  please  switch  off  your  filter,  this  is  to  avoid  the  remained  bacteria  also  affected

Why  not  use  the  traditional  way  to  refill  the  water  and  use  this  in-out  flow  method.  The  rational  behind  is  stability.  If  you  flow  all  the  water  away  and  refill  with  all  fresh  water.  The  water  condition  will  change  too  fast.  Plants  and  fish  may  also  not  adaptable.  Normal  refill  may  not  easy  to  clean  up  the  dirt  and  impurity  on  the  substrate  surface.  In-out  flow  has  water  flow  from  one  side  to  other.  It  is  easier  to  clean  those  impurities  and  make  less  influence  to  plant  and  fish.

After  the  water  refill,  the  water  becomes  clear.  You  may  prune  your  plant  to  make  necessary  adjustment.  Don’t  forget  to  add  new  water  conditioner  to  remove  chlorine,  chloramine  and  ammonia.  I  would  also  suggest  adding  the  bacteria  supplement  to  speed  up  the  bio  system  regenerate  faster.  Another  reason  of  using  this  change  water  method  is  during  the  layout  stage,  it  is  very  easy  to  turn  out  the  soil  and  cause  muddy.  The  leave  surface  may  cover  with  small  particular.  In-out  flow  is  also  a  good  choice  to  clean  up  those  particular  and  make  the  water  clear  again.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: