226. Guest
227. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,770

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Old tank with New DISCUS's
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Old tank with New DISCUS's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiransankpal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:49 am Post subject: Old tank with New DISCUS's Reply with quote

Hello  Experts   Smile  ,

I  had  a  established  planted  tank  for  last  one  and  half  year,  here  are  the  details:

Tank  Size  :  L  54  X  W  15  X  H  20
 Plants  :  Red  Lily,  Dwarf  Anubias,  Cryptocorynes,  Vallisneria,  Sagittaria,  African  Fern.
 Substrate  :  Red  Clay/COCO  peat  –  added  fertilizer  (1.5  Inch)  ,  Golden  sand  on  top  (1.5  Inch).
 Heater  :  250W  –  Jagger.  Set  to  30  dc.
 Filters  :  Sponge  filter  running  with  pump,  Internal  RS  646  ,  External  Ehiem  2217.
  Last  week  I  have  implemented  the  new  2217  and  currently  both  the  filters  are  running  parallel.  (May  be  for  another  2  weeks)
 CO2  :  Not  now..  earlier  DIY.
 Water  test  :  haven’t  done  yet,  where  to  do  this  in  Pune?
 Fishes  :   Discus  –  Brown  3,  Chequered  3,  Snow  white  1,  Blue  1,  snakeskin  2  (size  almost  3  to  3.5”)
    Flying  fox  2
  Corydorus  5
 Serpae  Tetra  2

Food  :  Hikari  bio  gold,  Dafnia,  Hikari  freezed  blood  worms,  Goat  Heart  mix,  dried  blood  worms,  tetra  bite  and  some  Tropical  color  enhance  flakes.

I  need  some  guidance  from  you  :

1. I  am  giving  all  the  above  mixed  food  daily  3  to  4  time  till  they  finished  in  15  minutes,  is  that  ok?
 2. Where  can  I  get  the  freezed  blood  worms  in  Pune  with  reasonable  rates?
 3. Is  it  okay  to  give  a  goat  heart  as  it  is?  (Without  mix)
 4. As  I  am  removing  the  internal  filter  in  short  time,  can  I  add  another  pair  of  discus  of  Red  melon?

If  needed  I  will  ask  further  questions!!!
 Will  add  some  snaps  in  my  next  post
 Thanks  in  advance..

Kiran
Venki
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:54 am Post subject: Re: Old tank with New DISCUS's Reply with quote

Hi  Kiran,

I  think  the  fishes  should  be  fed  two  or  max  three  times  in  a  day..  Dont  overfeed  them..  

I  dont  know  much  abt  the  other  queries  that  you  have  posted..  The  experts  here  will  help  you  further.

Regards,
 Venkat.
Discusolic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:20 pm Post subject: Re: Old tank with New DISCUS's Reply with quote

Quote:                
Tank  Size  :  L  54  X  W  15  X  H  20                

Good  tank  for  discus  .

Quote:                
Fishes  :  Discus  –  Brown  3,  Chequered  3,  Snow  white  1,  Blue  1,  snakeskin  2  (size  almost  3  to  3.5”)                

You  can  add  2  more  of  these   size  and  let  them  grow  to  full  size  .

Quote:                
Food  :  Hikari  bio  gold,  Dafnia,  Hikari  freezed  blood  worms,  Goat  Heart  mix,  dried  blood  worms,  tetra  bite  and  some  Tropical  color  enhance  flakes.                

Why  are  you  feeding   dafnia  ,  avoid  feeding  them  to  these  discus  .  Other  all  feed  is  good  .

WC  :  How  much  water  change  you  do  for  this  tank  .

Quote:                
1.  I  am  giving  all  the  above  mixed  food  daily  3  to  4  time  till  they  finished  in  15  minutes,  is  that  ok?                

No  problem  ,  but  you  need  to  do  daily  WC  .

Quote:                
Where  can  I  get  the  freezed  blood  worms  in  Pune  with  reasonable  rates?                

Check  with  Rohan  or  Ritesh  (  Nanu  )  ,  i  think  people  normally  takes  from  Mumbai  .  

Quote:                
Is  it  okay  to  give  a  goat  heart  as  it  is?  (Without  mix)                

No  problem  ,  but  better  to  add  Vitamins  &  Minerals  ,  Why  don't  you  try  the  below  recipe  .

Goat  Heart  -  700  gm  
 Chicken  breast  -  100  gm
 Prawns         -   150  gm
 Spinach        -   50  gm.(  cook  for  10  minutes  before  adding  )  
 Spirulina      -  1  tea  spoon  .
 Multivitamin  Tablet  -  2  capsule.
 Vit  B  Complex  -   1  capsule  .

Quote:                
As  I  am  removing  the  internal  filter  in  short  time,  can  I  add  another  pair  of  discus  of  Red  melon?                

No  problem  .

When  you  feed  animal  heart  to  discus  in  planted  tank  ,  you  need  to  take  care  that  left  over  is  removed  and  good  WC  is  done  .

Thanks
kiransankpal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:15 pm Post subject: Re: Old tank with New DISCUS's Reply with quote

Venki,

Thanks  for  the  advice.

Shiva,

1.  As  per  your  suggestion  will  add  2  more.  (Super  red  melon)

2.  Currently  I  am  doing  weekly  twice  or  thrice  water  change  around  35  to  40%.
 What  I  observed,  whenever  I  do  the  water  change  the  fishes  are  scratch  there  body  to  the  objects.  Looks  like  this  is  a  Parasite,  which  is  the  good  anti-parasite  for  my  planted  aquarium?

3.  Which  is  good  medicine  for  internal  parasite?

3.  In  our  religion  we  hadn’t  eat  meat  and  fish  hence  I  cant  prepare  the  mix.  (earlier  one  sheet  I  have  bought  form  a  breeder.)
 Awaiting  for  your  kind  advice.

Regards,
 Kiran
Discusolic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:39 pm Post subject: Re: Old tank with New DISCUS's Reply with quote

Quote:                
2.  Currently  I  am  doing  weekly  twice  or  thrice  water  change  around  35  to  40%.  What  I  observed,  whenever  I  do  the  water  change  the  fishes  are  scratch  there  body  to  the  objects.  Looks  like  this  is  a  Parasite,  which  is  the  good  anti-parasite  for  my  planted  aquarium?                  

I  don't  think  there  is  any  major  problem  .  If  it  would  have  been  bare  bottom  tank  I  could  advice  you  to  treat  with  PP  ,  but  with  planted  tank  ,  very  difficult  .  You  just  try  to  do  good  WC  daily  instead  of  twice  in  a  week  ,  they  should  be  OK  .

Quote:                
Which  is  good  medicine  for  internal  parasite?                

1)  Very  good  WC  
 2)  No  live  feed  like  Blood  worms  ,  tubiflex  
 3)  Metronidazole  in  feed  for  12  days  in   every  3  months  .

Thanks
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:12 pm Post subject: Re: Old tank with New DISCUS's Reply with quote

Code:                
1)  Very  good  WC  
 2)  No  live  feed  like  Blood  worms  ,  tubiflex  
 3)  Metronidazole  in  feed  for  12  days  in   every  3  months  .

Metronidazole  in  feed?....  but  isnt  it  dissolved  in  water  by  powdering  it?

Shiva...I  was  in  the  impression  that  I  just  have  to  drop  2  tabs  in  th  water  BB  tank,  for  4  days......

Do  I  do  this  from  now  onwards?  Because  my  discuss  are  now  4"....  when  will  they  breed?

sorry  to  interrupt  your  thread.......
Discusolic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:22 pm Post subject: Re: Old tank with New DISCUS's Reply with quote

Quote:                
Metronidazole  in  feed?....  but  isnt  it  dissolved  in  water  by  powdering  it?                

Metro  in  Feed  and  also  in  water  is  always  effective  for  Discus  .  before  adding  to  water  you  need  to   disolve  the     tab  in  luke  warm   water  .  

Quote:                
my  discuss  are  now  4"....  when  will  they  breed?                

They  will  breed  when  they  will  become  matured  and  you  get  a  confirmed  pair  .  should  be  around  12-  14  month  .  Nowa  days  some  discus  breed  in     10th  month  also   .  

Thanks
kiransankpal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:13 pm Post subject: Re: Old tank with New DISCUS's Reply with quote

Thanks  Shiva,

My  discuss  are  around  3.5”  and  had  7  months  old  (as  per  the  source).
 So  another  minimum  4  to  5  months  required  to  form  a  pair  and  to  bread,  what  did  you  think?

One  more  point,  whenever  I  change  the  water  my  discus’s  are  scratches  there  body  to  the  objects,  think  this  is  common  behavior.  Any  good  external  anti-parasite  medicine  you  have  in  your  mind?

Currently  I  am  feeding  Metronidazole  daily  1  tab.  (for  last  3  days),  so  as  per  your  guidance  I  have  to  give  them  another  9  days  of  this  treatment?

My  snow  white  is  around  2  inches  is  dropping  in  white  looks  like  it’s  a  disease,  can  you  suggest  how  to  treat  this?

Will  catch  you  or  call  you  for  further  queries,  hope  this  is  ok  with  you?

Kiran
HeikoBleher
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:14 pm Post subject: Re: Old tank with New DISCUS's Reply with quote

Hi,

this  is  Heiko  Bleher  and  I  just  wanted  to  give  a  short  advice:

1.  YES  feed  Dafnia,  it  is  very  good  -  excellent  for  your  discus,  as  they  will  be  moving  and  chasing  and  that  is  their  nature  !  
 2.  Your  water  changes  of  35-40%  weekly  is  more  than  enough,  do  not  change  every  day.  That  is  only  done  in  commercial  breeding  establishments.  If  you  have  a  breeding  establlshment  and  bar  tank(s),  than  ok  daily  WC.

best  regards  from  as  collector,  bredder  and  writer  (Bleher's  Discus  volume  I),

best  regards

Heioko  Bleher
 www.aquapress-bleher.com
 www.aqua-aquapress.com
kiransankpal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:13 am Post subject: Re: Old tank with New DISCUS's Reply with quote

Thanks  Heioko  for  advice!!!

Experts:

What  I  observed  yesterday  after  15%  water  change  is  that  the  all  the  fishes  are  become  very  happy  and  start  chasing  each  other  and  I  think  that’s  the  good  thing.  What’s  your  opinion?  Yaa  that’s  true  I  am  not  a  commercial  breeder  but  I  want  to  establish  couple  of  pairs  from  my  10  tank  mates.   Smile  

1. I  need  a  name  of  external  anti-parasite  good  medicine  which  can  be  available  at  Pune  or  Mumbai.  (Will  ready  for  future).
 2. My  snow  white  is  around  2  inches  is  dropping  in  white  looks  like  it’s  a  disease,  can  you  please  suggest,  how  to  treat  this?
 3. How  about  the  live  Blood  warms  or  Tubiflex  warms  monthly  twice?   

Regards,

Kiran
Yogesh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:47 am Post subject: Re: Old tank with New DISCUS's Reply with quote

Prazipro  is  one  the  most  popular  medicine  for  treating  parasital  infection,  flukes  etc.  Its  easily  available  at  any  pet  store.
 White  poo  indicates  fish  is  not  doing  good.  It  could  be  due  to  many  reasons,  stress  is  one  of  them.  Isolate  the  fish  to  QT  &  treat  him  with  metro.  Ensure  temp.  is  kept  around  30  degrees.
 Strictly  no-no  for  live  TW.  If  you  trust  source  of  BW  to  be  safe,  you  can  take  a  chance  with  live  BW.

The  idea  behind  daily  WC  is  to  boost  growth  &  to  maintain  clean  water  conditions.  Your  discus  are  still  young,  let  them  mature  &  form  pair  by  themselves.
kiransankpal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:18 pm Post subject: Re: Old tank with New DISCUS's Reply with quote

Thanks  all  for  your  earlier  suggestions!!!

2  months  back  I  had  bought  2  Chequered  discus  around  3.00”  hoping  that  small  is  a  female  and  big,  ugly  one  is  a  male,  till  new  stock  added  the  old  mail  was  a  territorial  and  guard  the  food  at  bottom.  1  month  back  I  had  bought  another  4  discus’s  with  same  size.  One  is  chequered  and  other  3  are  brown.  Looks  like  the  new  chequered  is  also  a  male  and  now  he  is  boss!!!

What  I  observed  that  the  old  male  (suppose  to  be)  is  not  eating  a  food  properly  and  staying  a  side  from  the  group.  Is  it  a  normal  behavior  or  something  is  wrong  with  this?

15  days  back  I  had  bought  another  4  heads,  2  are  small  size  around  2”  and  other  are  around  3.00”.  the  smalls  and  one  of  new  (snakeskin)  is  not  eating  properly  they  are  taking  very  little  food.  How  to  make  them  hungry?  And  take  a  food  as  usual.
 Please  suggest.

Regards,
 Kiran

Yogesh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:03 pm Post subject: Re: Old tank with New DISCUS's Reply with quote

Hope  you  are  quarantining  the  new  fish  before  introducing  it  to  the  main  tank.
 It  is  always  advisable  to  keep  a  lot  of  common  size  discus.
 Raise  temperature  to  31-32  degrees  to  make  them  hungry  (metabolism  factor).
kiransankpal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:56 pm Post subject: Re: Old tank with New DISCUS's Reply with quote

Hello,

Which  algae  eater  can  be  kept  with  discus’s?  Earlier  I  had  two  Chinese  algae  eater  in  my  community  tank  and  they  had  done  there  job  perfectly.  I  have  seen  very  thick  lair  of  sticky  thing  from  inside  the  glass.  I  have  2  Siamese  algae  eater  but  they  are  not  cleaning  the  glass.

Regards,

Kiran
kulsdood
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:44 am Post subject: Re: Old tank with New DISCUS's Reply with quote

Guys,  where  do  you  get  Metronidazole?  If  someone  in  Hyderabad  has  it  will  be  good.  Or  else  let  me  know  where  in  Bombay  or  Pune,  and  I  can  get  it  collected.  Thanks
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: