49. Guest
50. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,937

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Fertilizing the Gravel
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Fertilizing the Gravel
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Fertilisers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vyastk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:06 am Post subject: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Just  curious...

Instead  of  fertilizing  the  water  column  ,  what  else  can  be  added  to  the  substrate  so  that  the  plants  take  up  nutrients  from  the  gravel...Root  tabs  are  too  expensive

I  am  talking  about  both  Micro  and  Macro  components  which  can  be  added  when  setting  up  the  tank  for  easy  mainetenance

Understand  leaching  would  contribute  to  Algae...But  has  anyone  tried  any  other  means  to  bolster  the  substrate  with  Macros  and  Micros  without  it  leaching.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:25 am Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

vyastk  wrote  (View  Post):                
Just  curious...

Instead  of  fertilizing  the  water  column  ,  what  else  can  be  added  to  the  substrate  so  that  the  plants  take  up  nutrients  from  the  gravel...Root  tabs  are  too  expensive

I  am  talking  about  both  Micro  and  Macro  components  which  can  be  added  when  setting  up  the  tank  for  easy  mainetenance

Understand  leaching  would  contribute  to  Algae...But  has  anyone  tried  any  other  means  to  bolster  the  substrate  with  Macros  and  Micros  without  it  leaching.                

I'll  revert  in  one  years  time  with  results!  Very Happy
vyastk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:32 am Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

I  was  thinking  of  redoing  my  100G  planted  ...Lazy  that  I  am,  I  wanted  to  minimize  the  impact  of  not  dosing  regularly  or  better  eliminate  daily  dosing  completely...Just  dosing  as  per  symptoms  of  deficiency.

I  had  liberally  included  Microsol  B  last  time  while  adding  laterite  to  the  substrate...Didnt  see  any  algal  infestations  though.

Can  I  just  add  Kno3,K2So4  and  MgSo4  in  the  substrate  ...what  would  be  the  effect?

Do  let  me  in  on  your  thoughts...
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:06 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

As  long  as  you  have  something  in  the  substrate  that  will  chelate  and  bind  K  and  Mg  there  should  be  no  issues.

SO4  is  trouble,  as  it  will  release  H2S.

See  the  other  thread  about  Hydrated  Lime  and  Bone  Meal  in  the  Aquatic  plants  and  Planted  Aquaria  Forum.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:09 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Microsol-B  of  late  has  quality  issues.  Uttam  had  a  talk  with  the  Vardhaman  guys,  they  are  no  longer
 packaging  the  imported  micronutrients  as  before,  they  are  getting  some  local  ingredients  for  the  mix.

He  got  the  stuff  tested  at  a  lab  and  found  it  to  be  powder  and  nothing  more.

I've  not  yet  met  Uttam  so  I  don't  know  the  nitty  gritties  but  we  are  getting  snake  oil  from  Vardhaman  now.
Deba
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:28 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

""  He  got  the  stuff  tested  at  a  lab  and  found  it  to  be  powder  and  nothing  more...........""

So  buying  Microsol  B  from  Varhaman  is  no  longer  advised......I  have  got  mine  few  days  back.......  Surprised   Shocked   Shocked   Crying or Very sad   Sad   Sad
abhi_123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:35 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Madan  wrote  (View  Post):                
Microsol-B  of  late  has  quality  issues.  Uttam  had  a  talk  with  the  Vardhaman  guys,  they  are  no  longer
 packaging  the  imported  micronutrients  as  before,  they  are  getting  some  local  ingredients  for  the  mix.

He  got  the  stuff  tested  at  a  lab  and  found  it  to  be  powder  and  nothing  more.

I've  not  yet  met  Uttam  so  I  don't  know  the  nitty  gritties  but  we  are  getting  snake  oil  from  Vardhaman  now.                

this  was  always  on  the  cards.a  typical  habits  of  indians   to  decrease  the  quality  when  we  got  the  brand  established.wats  the  alternative  Madan  sir  ??
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:58 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Buy  Lab  Chemicals  and  mix  your  own  brew.
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:29 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

where  is  that  damned  Getafix?   Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vraghu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:09 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Vyas,

Iam  doing  the  Substrate  Micro  Dosing   by  mixing  the  laterite  with  Microsol-B  for  the  last  2  years  with  Excellent  results..  No  yet  tried  the  Macros  though  !!  

Regds
 Raghu.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:17 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

vraghu  wrote  (View  Post):                
Vyas,

Iam  doing  the  Substrate  Micro  Dosing   by  mixing  the  laterite  with  Microsol-B  for  the  last  2  years  with  Excellent  results..  No  yet  tried  the  Macros  though  !!  

Regds
 Raghu.                

How  you  are  retaining  Microsol-B  for  a  long  time  in  the  substrate?  You  mixing  Microsol  with  laterite  only  for  the  bottom  layer  or  there  are  something  else  also?
mcgokul
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:18 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Madan  wrote  (View  Post):                
As  long  as  you  have  something  in  the  substrate  that  will  chelate  and  bind  K  and  Mg  there  should  be  no  issues.

SO4  is  trouble,  as  it  will  release  H2S.

See  the  other  thread  about  Hydrated  Lime  and  Bone  Meal  in  the  Aquatic  plants  and  Planted  Aquaria  Forum.                

Where  does  the  lime  /  bone  meal  come  in?  Under  the  substrate  or  mixed  with  the  substrate?
vraghu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:26 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Thirth  ,

For  my  4x2x2  Tank,  i  have  mixed  2  x  100gm  Pkts  of  Microsol  -B  with  the  Laterite  along  with  6  to  8mm  Gravel  ,  made  a  Good  1  inch  thick  bed  ,  and  then  topped  it  with  2  inches  of  fine  substrate...  ,  the  only   issue  is  you  have  to  fine  tune  the  EI  dosing  ,  keeping  in  mind  that  a  Ton  of  Micro  is  sitting  below  the  Substrate  ,  waiting  to  explode  !!!   Chuckle   OR  ready  to  make  your  Tank  a  Algea  Farm...   Surprised  

Regds
 Raghu.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:06 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Thirth  ,

For  my  4x2x2  Tank,  i  have  mixed  2  x  100gm  Pkts  of  Microsol  -B  with  the  Laterite  along  with  6  to  8mm  Gravel  ,  made  a  Good  1  inch  thick  bed  ,  and  then  topped  it  with  2  inches  of  fine  substrate...  ,  the  only   issue  is  you  have  to  fine  tune  the  EI  dosing  ,  keeping  in  mind  that  a  Ton  of  Micro  is  sitting  below  the  Substrate  ,  waiting  to  explode  !!!   Chuckle   OR  ready  to  make  your  Tank  a  Algea  Farm...   Surprised  

Regds
 Raghu.                

Are  you  dosing  Micro  to  the  water  column  even  after  mixing  it  to  the  substrate  or  just  Macro?
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:44 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Thirth  ,

For  my  4x2x2  Tank,  i  have  mixed  2  x  100gm  Pkts  of  Microsol  -B  with  the  Laterite  along  with  6  to  8mm  Gravel  ,  made  a  Good  1  inch  thick  bed  ,
 Raghu.                

200  gms  of  Microsol-B  in  the  substrate??????  You  are  dosing  the  water  column  also????
 Man  haven't  your  plants  died  of  heavy  metal  poisoning?

When  did  you  buy  this  Microsol-B?
 It  might  indicate  from  when  Vardhaman  started  selling  snake  oil,  and  we  can  start  throwing  our  stocks  out.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Macro and Micro Fertilisers All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: