194. Guest
195. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,716

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Anyone using microchiller?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Anyone using microchiller?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Live Rock and Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neoaqua
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:48 pm Post subject: Anyone using microchiller? Reply with quote

Hi,

I  request  any  of  you  using  microchiller  for  your  nano  reef  tank  to  share  your  experience.  Also  has  anyone  heard  about  or  used  the  following  for  their  nano?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~CW1111~idCategory~FICHMC~category~Micro_Chillers-Chillers-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

Even  if  you  do  not  use  such  products  how  do  you  keep  your  *nano*  tanks  cool  during  summer?
ArnabPDas
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:38 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone using microchiller? Reply with quote

Avi,  I'm  afraid  I  can't  help  you  here  because  I  never  used  it,  but  wanted  to  thank  you  for  sharing  the  link.  

That  looks  to  be  a  Peltier  chiller.  Am  never  too  hot  for  DIY,  but  DIY  might  make  sense  for  hard-to-get  (locally)  stuff  like  these  --  so  here's  a  DIY  link  you  may  find  useful  http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63061&st=0

BTW,  as  you  know  well,  nano  tanks  are  notorious  for  rapid  rise  and  fall  in  water  temperature  depending  on  changes  in  ambient  temperature.  Keeping  the  tank  in  an  AC  room  might  help  but  if  AC  is  not  going  to  run  continuously,  then  the  tank  should  ideally  be  made  of  relatively  thick  glass  with  a  cover  and  there  should  be  minimal  surface  agitation.
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:20 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone using microchiller? Reply with quote

Avi,  small  chillers  for  nano  aquariums  are  available  here  in  Chennai.  Hard  to  comment  on  the  reliability,  as  I  haven't  come  across  any  user.
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:36 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone using microchiller? Reply with quote

Quote:                
Even  if  you  do  not  use  such  products  how  do  you  keep  your  *nano*  tanks  cool  during  summer?                
By  using  Cooling  Fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bmukh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:54 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone using microchiller? Reply with quote

Hey  Avi,
 I  don't  know  about  micro  chiller  but  this  is  what  I  will  try  (my  simple  cheapest  DIY)  this  year.  I  will  get  a  thermocol  box.  Stuff  some  ice  from  the  freezer  in  a  polyhene  bag  and  put  the  bag  inside  the  box.  Drill  a  hole  in  the  box.  Insert  a  small  pipe  and  put  the  other  end  of  the  pipe  to  an  overhead  pump.  The  idea  is  that  the  overhead  pump  will  circulate  cool/cold  air  drawn  from  the  box.  I  don't  know  how  it  will  work,  but  I  think  it  can  be  a  temporary  stop  gap  arrangement  atleast.   No  operating  cost  except  for  replenishing  the  ice  every  day.  May  be  one  can  cover  the  ice  in  saw  dust  too!
neoaqua
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:57 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone using microchiller? Reply with quote

Thanks  Arnab,  Shankar,  Rocky  and  Bappa  for  all  your  replies.

@Arnab:  May  be  I  shall  try  the  DIY,  if  I  cant  get  someone  to  get  the  same  for  me.  I  am  not  much  of  a  DIY.

@Shankar:  Are  those  local  made  stuff  or  similar  ones  from  abroad?

@Rocky:  Do  you  mean  freshwater  nano  tank  like  shrimp  tanks?  You  can  actually  use  just  cooling  fans  in  nano  *reef*  tank  in  a  non-AC  room?  What  about  specific  gravity  fluctuation  everyday?

@Bappa:  All  the  best  for  your  DIY.  Only  you  may  have  to  keep  filling  ice  3-4  times  a  day.  How  about  getting  those  ice  boxes  (insulated  ice  carriers  for  outdoors  etc)  and  drilling  holes  in  them?
bmukh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:02 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone using microchiller? Reply with quote

Thats  what  I  intend  to  graduate  to  once  I  try  this  for  a  few  days  and  if  I  see  some  success.  The  problem  is  chillers  are  very  expensive  and  it  really  hurts  to  spend  so  much  for  a  small  tank.  That  is  why  I  want  to  try  something  'innovative'  Smile
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:36 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone using microchiller? Reply with quote

Avi,  the  chillers  I  saw  were  Chinese  -  Dophin  brand.

Bmukh,  I  had  tried  the  DIY  chiller,  what  you  have  mentioned.  Will  find  and  post  the  link.
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:51 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone using microchiller? Reply with quote

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2813&highlight=chiller

A  cost  effective  chiller.   Thumb Up
suneeshkachroo
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:32 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone using microchiller? Reply with quote

hay  mircochiller  is  available  with  indiapetstore[dot]com  u  can  check  it  online  its  realy  not  expencive  and  i  am  having  amaizing  time  with  it  ....
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:44 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone using microchiller? Reply with quote

bmukh  wrote  (View  Post):                
Thats  what  I  intend  to  graduate  to  once  I  try  this  for  a  few  days  and  if  I  see  some  success.  The  problem  is  chillers  are  very  expensive  and  it  really  hurts  to  spend  so  much  for  a  small  tank.  That  is  why  I  want  to  try  something  'innovative'  Smile                

As  I  told  you  before,  small  CPU  fans  are  the  best  way  to  keep  the  tank  cool  during  summer.  In  Gurgaon,  weather  is  too  dry  and  evaporation  rate  will  be  very  high.  So  CPU  fans  are  the  cheapest  and  easiest  way.  Last  year  I  have  tried  and  got  very  good  result.

Last edited by Tirtha C on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
suneeshkachroo
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:24 am Post subject: Re: Anyone using microchiller? Reply with quote

i  hope  this  like  helps  you......
 http://indiapetstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_20&products_id=47
 thing  about  the  Thermocol  box  and  ICE  is  during  summers  it  takes  just  abt  10  mins  to  melt  down  i  have  done  it  myself  so  finaly  have  to  switch  to  a  Chiller  ....
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:53 am Post subject: Re: Anyone using microchiller? Reply with quote

suneeshkachroo  wrote  (View  Post):                

i  hope  this  like  helps  you......
 http://indiapetstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_20&products_id=47
 thing  about  the  Thermocol  box  and  ICE  is  during  summers  it  takes  just  abt  10  mins  to  melt  down  i  have  done  it  myself  so  finaly  have  to  switch  to  a  Chiller  ....

suneeshkachroo  wrote  (View  Post):                

hay  mircochiller  is  available  with  indiapetstore[dot]com  u  can  check  it  online  its  realy  not  expencive  and  i  am  having  amaizing  time  with  it  ....

Two  endorsements  in  two  consecutive  days  on  the  same  product.  

By  the  way,  adding  salt  helps  prolonging  the  melting  of  ice.  That  was  mentioned,  I  guess.

PS:  Use  LFS  Announcements,  if  you  wish  to  promote  commercial  websites.  No  offense  meant.   Thumb Up
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:31 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone using microchiller? Reply with quote

Dear  Avi  and  Arnab
 If  you  are  interested  I  can  give  you  the  contact  no  of  manufacturer  of  Micro  chillers  in  Kolkata.(  Pls  see  the  )cost  arround  12-13k.Already  some  people  are  using  it  and  I've  seen  it  in  my  last  visit.
 Regards
 Kaushik
reefclown
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:10 am Post subject: Re: Anyone using microchiller? Reply with quote

Greetings,
                I'd  like  to  share  my  experiences  of  chilling  a  24g  nano.  

Uk  temperatures  reach  a  max  of  about  35c  during  the  best  of  summer  days,  this  can  cause  a  rise  of  4c  over  the  period  of  24hrs.  

Whilst  I  appreciate  that  conditions  across  India  vary  considerably  from  that  of  the  UK,  the  core  concepts  still  apply  IMHO.

Having  fans  is  a  great  first  step  and  works  well  to  a  limit.  Evaporation  is  the  issue.

Peltier  based  chillers  would  be  of  little  use  in  a  hot  climate  as  thier  effectiveness  is  based  on  differential  from  ambient  temperature.  They  are  also  highly  ineffecient  in  their  use  of  energy,  hence  relatively  expensive  to  run.

A  better  solution  would  be  to  use  a  compressor  based  nano  chiller,  take  a  look  at  something  along  the  following  lines:
 http://www.jbjchillers.com/index1.html

at  1/15hp  these  work  an  absolute  treat  on  nano's.

The  challenge  is  to  find  an  equivalent  unit  that  is  produced  in  India.

and  for  all  temp  control,  be  it  heating  or  cooling,  ALWAYS  run  an  independant  controller.  something  along  the  lines  of:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ATC-800-DIGITAL-TEMPERATURE-CONTROLLER-PACKAGE-1_W0QQitemZ330305670218QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item330305670218&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

if  you  keep  an  eye  on  ebay,  PID  Controllers  and  temp  controllers  these  can  often  be  picked  up  for  a  little  as  rs800!

hope  you  find  this  of  some  value

regards
 Nav
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Live Rock and Invertebrates All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: