Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:08 am Post subject: Re: Praziquantel Medicine
Thanks Shiva and Nitin,
I had gone through lots of online documents on discus and identified that my discus’s are currently affected with gill flukes and tape worms.
Symptoms which I observed are :
1. At initial stage fish rub there gill sides on the aquarium object.
2. Spit the food .
3. Swims erratically.
4. Fold there fins and fins become darker.
5. After some time try to eat very small size food.
6. Start losing weight/color/eyes blur (red color disappear).
7. You can see whitish-Redish color near to fins.
8. Flukes will transfer from 1 to another , my third chequered is rubbing his body to objects.
9. Always leader of the group is infected.. as I observed in my chequered case.
1. Long brown color poo, as I seen almost 4-6” from my Brown discus’s.
2. Little stringy pieces.
As per my earlier thread, I had gone for BB tank and its currently in cycling mode.
I have moved the fishes in 2.5ft tank and before putting into main tank I want to do complete quarantine process as this is as good as complete new set-up. Right now I am doing 50% water change daily and adding 10 table spoon of rock salt. Temp at 32dc with sponge filter and good aeration.
Think this is enough to guide me, please let me know if you need any further details.
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:56 pm Post subject: Re: Praziquantel Medicine
Praziquantel is easily available in Mumbai, Just ask your neighbor chemist he can bring it from Mumbai. BTW its a antischitomal drug and the possible doses could be 2mg per 5 litres of water for 24 hours.
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:34 pm Post subject: Re: Praziquantel Medicine
I have personally never used Formalin but as told by my guru 'Carey', its improper dosage & usage can be fatal for your discus, let the experienced hands only use Formalin.
Please let me know the treatment cycle of Formalin.
Before using Formalin , you first need to understand where , why and how to use this Chemical .
1) Formalin is used to control external parasites in Discus . It is very effective against parasites present on Gills , Skin & Fins .It is not effective against any bacteria or internal infection .
2) Formalin is nothing but 37% formaldehyde gas disoolved in water .
3) Formalin must be stored in selaed container in well ventilated area .
4) Formalin removes oxygen from water , hence whike treating fishes you need to add extra air stone in tank for better aeration .
5) You should NEVER Mix PP & Formalin , it is like explosive . never to use both one after the another .
6) Never store formalin at Extreme high Temp or Low Temp .
You will observe the below symptons , if your discus is infected with Gills Flukes .
1) They will be breathing heavily , most of the time one of the gill will be closed and breathing heavily through other gill.
2) You will see them grasping near the surface .
3)Since they are not comfortable with Gills , You may see them flashing or sometimes trying to rub their gills against the aeration tube , filters , or any object .
4) Adults can survive longer time , but I had observed that sometimes complete batch of small fries infected with Gills flukes get wiped out within few days .
There are different stages of flukes , hence you need to treat them completely as per their reproductive cycle .
Dosage for treating Gill flukes with Formalin
1) Long bath : 3 ml for 100 ltrs of water . 100 WC after 24 hrs . heavy aeration during treatment .
2) Repeat the above treatment on day 3rd , 5th & 7th .
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum