Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:34 am Post subject: Re: Photo Competition: Full Aquarium Shot - Dec 2008 with Pr
Let me give you a example of generosity of people like Mr. Trevor Menzes and Mr. Madan Subramanuim.
It is Trevor who is always receiving my calls at any times of the day, and providing solutions freely with out any personal interests. Most of the times, he has guided me to cheaper alternatives than costlier one that were my proposition.
Eg. Me: Trevor, I have green water. I am planning to buy a UV filter; can you suggest a good brand? Trevor: Go for some daphnia, instead. Further to this he would take his time to explain all other steps that I need to follow.
This is just one example. He has always helped me going out of his way. I consider him to be a wonderful guy with unquestionable thirst for the hobby. BTW, he is a rich bugger and does not need any of your money, if you ask me.
Madan, on the other hand has given me 2GB of aquarium literature worth minimum tens of thousands, for free. Leave the money part aside, if I was to collect that literature, it would have taken me years, I am sure and many would have sold the same if they were in Madan's shoes.
That's why people, who know them, do not question their integrity but love them unconditionally.
I did not mean to hurt any one personally, but it is very offensive to see rank juniors taking a stalwart’s name and commenting.
Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:29 pm Post subject: Re: Photo Competition: Full Aquarium Shot - Dec 2008 with Pr
I have out of IAH for quite some time, I was out of the country blah blah blah..
Recent two weeks, I am mostly in a read mode in the forum, browsing various sections artcles of planted tank, because i am planning to set up my first planted tank sometime next weekend.. so busy doing the prep courses from IAH...
I sense again a war of words starting off (or have already started)... I sincerely request Admin/Mods, to step back and review the whole incident from a third party perspective and take a bird's eye view of the same...
With my limited knowledge and experience I tried to do it and this is how it worked
1. Rocky volunteers to organize a photo competition.
2. He announces the competition details.
3. Announces the name of the judges ( there was a controversy here, may be he was not being a very professional or rather practiced organizer...), but the intent was clear, crystal and honest - SOME LIVELY ACTIVITY IN IAH.
4. The time was very appropriate as it was just after last heated arguments in the forum. He tried to distract people in some constructive activity. More so, when it was a complain that why some senior members are not posting regularly in the forum - has the forum degraded in itself etc etc
5. Suddenly I see, a rumour of Eheim Professional series as the prize..
6. No idea how it spreaded, or who has spread... But thinking that as a prize from 1 single person is really a too much to ask for.. Any one can realize that, but still people went on to increase post count by leg pulling on rocky...
7. There was unecessary postings on prize, back and forth messages revolving only around prize turned into some other direction.
8. Suddenly out of the blue and totally unnecessary alleagations towards T2CHATTO by "Rasiknayak". Unnecessary because that has nothing to do with the core of the post - Photo competition.. Ofcourse verbages like "Brats" and all have used.. Is Rasik and Octogenrian? My grandfather used to refer me as Brat when I was a kid
9. T2 replied brilliantly, precise and to the point.
10. The thread was promptly locked at the right time -- Thanks to the Admin..
11. It got reopened...
12. Now we see, Rocky announcing the prizes and then comments like "Prayer and Lawyear..!! "
1. Rocky's Fault (only one I can see) - He lacks promptness. After 7 days of Unni's posting about prize, Rocky replies back.. Can be offensive for the winners.. So not sure why this delay, may be some personal emergencies was holding him back.. Winner should have got in touch with him directly..
2. But a message asking a winner to pray or hinting a need for a lawyear is a clear indication of a probability that the organizer may be cheating - Which is definitely not acceptable...I do not see, why this post was necessary, we really cannot assume than an organizer announces the prizes and runs away, without giving them ... this is ridiculous...
3. If the intent is to ask for an update - the silent and yet powerful way was already demonstrated - "Do we have a closure??"... this is enough for any organizer to answer back.. coming straight from the chief and cannot be ignored...
I see this forum is also getting used for sorting out some personal dislikes with slightest possible opportunity...
For every amount of blame, some equal amount of spokespersons arises from no where, singing the saga of greatness of the individuals involved in a mess..
Respect gets demanded.. No one wants to earn any these days..
Where are we heading?? A competition was orgnized in true spirit, results announced, winners get in touch with Rocky and take the prizes.. we saw some lovely tanks.. matter ends there..
But still there are many dragging and dragging and in the event dirt comes up and then people start blaming each other as to why the brats are up again!!
if there is a problem in the organizer's organizing capability.. then there were seniors to guide him.. or do we have any one in this forum who was born as an aquarist from day one???
Anybody who has opinions on this issue do mail me [firstname.lastname@example.org]. Lets not hijack this thread meant for the photo competition.
Sorry to say, but It's been already hijacked long back.
And all of us has given the encouragements to the NASTY policits around IAH and still people are supporting.
God bless IAH.
Rocky - I just told Unni to contact you to claim his prize. Did I anywhere mention Bubble Counter is bad prize or something? I guess you are matured enough to understand my words and kindly explain this to your juvenile friend in case he can't.
I do not see why nasty attacks are being made on Rocky.. The competition he organized was good and the fun was to participate into it. Why will he be pressurized for awesome, expensive prizes? The forum or any other member has not contributed in the prize so why they question Rocky's honesty? Whatever prize he is giving, even if a bubble counter, its from his pocket and i think its very nice of him to organize such a nice competition. Since when IAH competitions were judged with the prizes?
And nasty comments like that coming from a staffs really looks awful. Trevor should have encouraged the competition rather than discouraging members from the beginning. And even at the end we are seeing the same behaviour from him.. And Yogesh why dont u organize a contest and announce a ADA full setup as a prize if you think that the bubble counter was too bad to have as a prize?
we are loosing the friendly environment we once had in IAH. Admins please do something.. we need serious revamping...
And you. I don't wanna degrade myself by arguing on Photo Competition thing. You are just here to create arguments and controversies. Like you add chilli & pepper in your fishfood, you replicate the same by creating some nonsense wiles on IAH. So learn to behave rather than showing your fake care towards IAH.
Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:33 pm Post subject: Re: Photo Competition: Full Aquarium Shot - Dec 2008 with Pr
WOW ....never knew a simple photo competition thread could get so ugly !! Guys lets just stick to the hobby. I dont think we create our tanks in thoughts of prizes and benefits. I think the biggest pleasure of our hobby is the satisfaction of having created a masterpiece. Thats all that should count. The question to ask ourselves is did we create the tank to win a prize in the photo competition or did we create it to our liking.
So let the hobby live, lets leave the politics in the general chit chat section for the upcoming ones. We already have lots to talk about the government, opposition, the left, etc ....
So cheers to the hobby !! ...forget the prize...grab a beer and enjoy your tank !!!
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum