23. Guest
24. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,535

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:05 pm Post subject: A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank Reply with quote

I  am  in  the  process  of  settin  up  a  New  Lake  Malawi  Tank.
 Tank  size  is  35x18x18.
 The  tank  will  start  with  Labidochromis  caeruleus.
 What  should  be  the  ideal  substrate  for  this  tank.
 lots  of  stone  with  sand  or  stone  +  gravel.
 Any  other  suggestions  welcome.
Mephitis
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:25 pm Post subject: Re: A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Sandeep,

I  will  begin  working  on  my  Malawi  Mbuna  setup  by  July  2009.  This  will  only  consist  of  Pseudotropheus  Saulosi's.  As  far  as  substrate  goes  I'm  going  to  stick  to  Aragonite  (pH  factor).  The  rocks  would  only  consist  of  Basalt  Rock.  And  definitely  a  good  water  current.  I'm  a  noob  at  this  but  planned  this  from  a  little  research  and  help  from  a  few  hobbyists.   Smile  

Btw,  are  you  going  for  a  sump  or  canister?

Regards,
 Rohan.
Lawrenze
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:32 pm Post subject: Re: A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Sandeep
 See  if  you  can  go  with  a  4'ter  instead  of  3,  have  always  used  river  gravel  for  substrate  Thumb Up  round  river  stones  will  look  good  but,  you  got  to  make  sure  you  anchor  them  well...a  black  BG  will  make  the  L.Caeruleus  stand  out
 HTH
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:41 pm Post subject: Re: A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank Reply with quote

Sandeep,

The  best  would  be  golden  river  sand  with  crushed  corals.  If  you  already  get  hard  water  in  your  tap,  ditch  the  crushed  corals.
 Labs  will  look  awesome  in  blank  sand  too   Thumb Up  

Regards,
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:59 pm Post subject: Re: A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank Reply with quote

Mephitis  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Sandeep,

I  will  begin  working  on  my  Malawi  Mbuna  setup  by  July  2009.  This  will  only  consist  of  Pseudotropheus  Saulosi's.  As  far  as  substrate  goes  I'm  going  to  stick  to  Aragonite  (pH  factor).  The  rocks  would  only  consist  of  Basalt  Rock.  And  definitely  a  good  water  current.  I'm  a  noob  at  this  but  planned  this  from  a  little  research  and  help  from  a  few  hobbyists.   Smile  

Btw,  are  you  going  for  a  sump  or  canister?

Regards,
 Rohan.                

Are  P  Saulosi's  available  in  mumbai.  Might  make  a  trip  a  mumbai  to  pick  them  up.
 I  get  liquid  rock  in  my  water  supply,  so  hardness  is  not  a  problem.
 I  have  a  Eheim  2224  in  my  current  planted  2  footer,  which  is  too  large  for  this  tank  hence  I  will  be  shifting  it  to  this.
 I  am  thinking  of  large  rocks  and  black  small  sized  gravel.
 Let  us  see  as  to  what  is  available.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:01 pm Post subject: Re: A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank Reply with quote

crazyfishy  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Sandeep
 See  if  you  can  go  with  a  4'ter  instead  of  3,  have  always  used  river  gravel  for  substrate  Thumb Up  round  river  stones  will  look  good  but,  you  got  to  make  sure  you  anchor  them  well...a  black  BG  will  make  the  L.Caeruleus  stand  out
 HTH                

A  4  footer  will  not  fit  in  the  place  also  I  already  have  a  stand  for  3  footer.
 Are  they  diggers  and  remove  the  sand.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:07 pm Post subject: Re: A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank Reply with quote

Sriram,
 getting  crushes  coral  will  be  a  difficult,  but  my  water  is  already  hard.
 I  live  by  the  sea,  let  us  see  if  I  can  find  any  dead  corals  and  grind  them.  Very Happy  
 Where  do  you  get  black  sand,  I  only  have  seen  it  somrehwere  in  a  south  indian  beach,  don't  remember  which  one.
Mephitis
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:09 pm Post subject: Re: A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Sandeep,

I  have  not  been  able  to  find  P  Saulosi's  yet.  But  you  can  contact  Vardesh  (IAH  ID:  handsomeraj_raj),  he  might  be  able  to  get  them  for  you.  All  the  best  with  the  setup!

Regards,
 Rohan.
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:15 pm Post subject: Re: A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank Reply with quote

i  would  say  that  Labidochromis  caeruleus  is  too  sensitive  of  a  fish.......it  needs  less  aggressive  tankmates.  practically  no  disturbance.  anything  wrong  occurs  and  it  stops  eating  and  straves  to  death.  even  putting  hands  in  water  might  scare  it  and  it  will  go  into  starvation  mode....i  have  had  atleast  20  in  the  past.  none  lived  beyond  a  max  of  6-8  months.  even  in  a  complete  Labidochromis  tank.....
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:25 pm Post subject: Re: A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank Reply with quote

Muddassar,
 I  have  never  had  such  experience  with  the  labs  nor  has  anyone  that  I  have  known.  They  are  as  hardy  as  any  other  malawian.  They  are  ofcourse  much  less  aggressive  compared  to  their  cousins.

Sandip,
 don't  you  get  the  sand  with  crushed  shells  ?  We  get  that  in  Bangalore.  But  as  I  said,  ditch  it  if  you  get  hard  water.
 Black  sand  is  available  in  the  beaches  of  kerala  where  thorium  is  in  abundance  but  the  black  sand  that  we  buy  in  Bangalore  is  available  in  the  granite  shops  as  'poor  man's  granite'  (originally  stated  by  Trevor  :-)  ).  You  may  want  to  check  that  out.
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:31 pm Post subject: Re: A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank Reply with quote

All  the  best  Sandeep.  Don't  forget  to  post  the  diary.
 Regards
 Kaushik
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:06 pm Post subject: Re: A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank Reply with quote

Hey  Friends,

Sorry  for  asking  this  here  -  just  wanted  to  request  if  anybody  can  kindly  guide  me  on  where  I  can  get  a  good  group  of  Yellow  Labs.  I'm  planning  a  3  Foot  species  tank  for  them  with  completely  Black  theme  (Background   /  Substrate  /  decor  etc)  Infact  the  the  tank  is  ready  and  running.  Just  need  to  get  a  group  of  Labs.  Will  be  a  great  help  if  anybody  can  kindly  guide  me  and  help  me  in  getting  a  few...

Kindly  let  me  know...
 Thanks  and  Regards  to  all  !
 Kush
joyban

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:21 am Post subject: Re: A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank Reply with quote

Hi  SandeepPlease  read  this  :-  www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/l_caeruleus.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:04 am Post subject: Re: A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank Reply with quote

joyban  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  SandeepPlease  read  this  :-  www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/l_caeruleus.php                

Thanks  Sujoy.
 I  have  a  printout  of  that  article  and  it  was  my  starting  point.  Thumb Up
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:56 am Post subject: Re: A New Lake Malawi chiclid Tank Reply with quote

Thats  a  good  tank  size  for  labs,  you  can  easily  have  8  adults  in  there.  If  you  can,  try  to  stick  to  the  harem  rule,  get  a  male  for  a  multiple  females,  this  could  be  tricky,  start  off  with  12+  individuals,  and  remove  all  extra  males  when  they  start  showing  off  male  characteristics.

You  can  try  combining  a  few  peacocks,  I  wouldnt  suggest  you  to  go  for  any  other  mbuna(as  most  mbunas  available  in  our  market  are  aggressive)  in  that  tank  size.  P.Demasoni  are  small  and  compatible,  will  make  a  striking  display  along  with  labs,  only  if  you  can  source  them.

Keep  the  decor  as  natural(and  dull)  as  possible,  round  river  rocks,  sand  a  dull  rocky(or  simple  black)  background.

Goodluck!
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: