148. Guest
149. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,745

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- update 1
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- update 1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:13 pm Post subject: Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- update 1 Reply with quote

Hi  everyone.  
 Went  to  buy  Bolbitis  Heudelotti.  took  home  Heteroclita  instead.  then  heard  that  it  is  a  tough  plant  to  grow  even  in  ideal  conditions.

internet  suggested  little  or  nothing  but  the  common  fact  suggested  that  they  do  better  in  half  immersed  conditions.

another  thread  suggested  something  very  weird.  it  said  that  "Bolbitis  grows  great  in  crappy  conditions(definitely  Mayur's  Bolbitis  tank  does  not  suggests  that).
 however  it  said  that  if  you  [u]cannot  control  the  parameters  of  your  aquarium[/u](e.g:  Ph,  CO2,  light  etc)  then  try  growing  it  in  crappy  conditions.

i  had  three  plants,  two  i  put  as  fully  submerged  in  my  20  gallon  tank  with  2wpg  light  and  mild  water  flow,  dosing,  DIY  CO2.  an  Overall  good  condition  i  will  call  it.
 -----this  plant  is  throwing  small  plantlets  from  the  leaf  and  no  growth  from  rhizome.  also  this  small  plantlets  are  very  small  and  are  growing  slow.

other  plant  i  put  in  my  10  gallon  loach  tank  with  lots  of  driftwood  and  tied  this  plant  to  driftwood  and  in  a  half  immersed  condition.  no  CO2,  no  Dosing,  and  less  than  3  hrs  of  10  watt  light.  rest  light  it  gets  from  the  window(at  a  distance  of  over  15  feet)  i.e  just  the  light  which  creeps  into  my  room  during  daytime.
 -----this  plant  is  throwing  plantlets  from  the  submerged  leaves  and  they  are  thrice  the  size  of  the  plantlets  of  my  fully  submerged  bolbitis.
 also,  the  rhizome  has  produced  two  plants  which  are  growing  too  fast  compared  to  the  plant's  notoriously  slow  growth  standards.  there  is  a  forward  movement  in  the  rhizome  as  well.

i  am  attaching  both  pictures.  see  it  for  yourself.
 i  am  planning  to  move  this  10  gallon  tank  near  to  the  window(30  minutes  of  direct  sunlight,  and  very  bright  transient  light  till  3pm).  and  will  update  this  thread  with  the  growth.

your  comments  please.
 ---kindly  follow  the  arrow  and  circles  to  see  the  plants  Smile.  sorry  if  these  pictures  strain  your  eyes.  Smile

Last edited by mudjawd on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:37 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- immersed & s Reply with quote

mudjawd  wrote  (View  Post):                
"Bolbitis  grows  great  in  crappy  conditions                

This  is  the  most  crappy  comment  we  usually  found  in  net  for  Ferns  and  Anubias.  This  is  something  that  "  A  4x4x5  room  is  more  than  enough  to  keep  a  human  being  alive".  Yes...  they  will  survive  for  sure  but  thats  all.

Here  goes  my  short  experience  with  Bolbitis  Heudelotii.  I  discovered  2  rizhomes,  from  one  of  Bappa's  dumping  tank,  which  were  almost  dying  with  3  leaves.  When  I  asked  him,  I  got  to  know,  he  bought  them  from  Vienna  last  May  and  somehow  he  forgot  about  them  after  putting  them  in  the  tank.  And  I  discovered  these  poor  rizhome  this  year,  end  of  January.

So  I  asked  him  if  I  can  take  them  with  me  and  can  give  it  a  try.  He  immidiately  take  them  out  and  gave  it  to  me.  I  took  them  and  put  them  in  my  120G  tank  directly  under  MH.  For  a  flow,  I  just  turn  my  CO2  reactor  Outlet  towards  the  rizhome.  Within  7  days  all  those  old  leaves  covered  by  BBA/Hair  Algae  etc  etc.  Also  they  started  turning  black.  Mid  of  Feb  I  cut  all  the  old  leaves  while  loosing  the  hope.  But  right  after  that  I  saw  new  growths  from  that  dying  rizhome.  And  now  I  have  arround  15  new  leaves  and  no  algae.  :)

Could  not  post  pictures,  as  my  home  laptop  crashed  and  will  not  be  able  to  download  pictures  in  office  laptop.  Sad
mayurdev
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:23 am Post subject: Re: Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- immersed & s Reply with quote

Hi  Muddassar,

Interesting  post,  

As  far  as  my  knowledge  goes  with  respect  to  Bolbitis  Heudelotti  It  is  a  relatively  easy  plant  to  grow  if  you  understand  its  requirements  and  it  will  grow  anywhere  as  long  as  the  conditions  favor  the  plant,  

As  far  as  crappy  conditions  I  have  a  bunch  growing  in  a  tank  in  my  backyard  which  also  acts  as  an  overflow  for  my  overhead  water  tank,  this  tank  does  not  have  ADA,  it  has  ambient  light  and  a  water  change  every  now  and  then,  no  fertz  and  the  plant  grows  well.  The  reason  is  probably  because  there  is  no  disturbance  of  any  kind.

In  my  knowledge  there  are  only  4  tanks  in  Bangalore  that  have  Bolbitis  Heudelotti   very  abundantly  growing  in  them.

Trying  to  answer  you  quarries  about    Bolbitis  Heteroclita   

1.  The  reason  the  two  fully  submerged  plants  are  throwing  small  plant  lets  from  the  leaf  and  no  growth  from  rhizome  is  because  this  plant  is  grown  in  a  emersed  form  before  it  comes  to  you,  and  it  is  a  known  fact  that  when  you  fully  submerge  a  emersed  fern  the  new  growth  will  happen  from  the  tip  of  the  old  leaf  and  not  from  the  rhizome.

The  solution  is  simple  cut  out  all  the  old  leaves  and  make  sure  that  the  rhizome  is  well  secured   to  a  drift  wood  and  is  placed  in  an  area  where  there  is  maximum  water  flow  so  that  the  rhizome  does  not  collect  any  muck.  you  should  see  new  growth  in  a  couple  of  weeks.  And  submerged  leaves  will  be  different  from  the  emersed  ones

2.  The  reason  the  other  plant   in  a  half  immersed  condition,   is  throwing  plantlets  from  the  submerged  leaves  and   the  rhizome  has  produced  two  plants  and  there  is  growth  in  the  rhizome  is  because  the  plant  is  doing  exactly  what  it  was  doing  before  it  came  to  you.
 Now  the  plant  is  taking  Co2  from  the  air  and  the  light  that  comes  through  your  window  is  ample  for  an  emersed  plant,  just  like  any  other  indoor  plant.

Contrary  to  common  belief  i  have  learnt  that  Bolbitis  needs  good  lighting  and  a  strong  water  current.

I  hope  this  helps  you,  It  will  not  be  wrong  to  say  that  you  will  soon  be  out  of  the  very  few  people  to  successfully  grown  Bolbitis  Heteroclita.

Now  if  you  observe  tirtha's  post  you  will  realize  that  a  plant  from  another  tank  also  needs  its  old  leaves  to  be  cut  for  new  ones  to  come  grow.

Thirtha  i  would  want  to  see  pictures  of  you  Bolbitis  once  your  computer  is  fixed  and  i  am  sure  Muddassar  will  also  appreciate  the  pictures,
davinci
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:43 am Post subject: Re: Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- immersed & s Reply with quote

I  too  have  a  Bolbitis  Heteroclita,  Have  put  it  on  to  a  piece  of  wood  and  while  trying  to  place  it  in  an  ideal  corner,  the  leaves  got  caught  with  a  thread  which  I  tied  the  Java  fern,  the  leaves  broke  away.  Now  I  have  kept  the  wood  with  the  rhizome  in  a  corner.  So  far  no  shoots  have  come.  I  will  shift  it  right  away  and  put  it  in  the  path  of  the  internal  filter.  I  hope  that  will  suffice  and  it  would  get  light  also  from  the  window.  Just  4  feet  away  from  the  window  on  the  west  side.  Sunlight  falls  on  the  tank  around  5.00  PM,  I  just  close  the  curtain  for  an  hour  and  around  6.00  -  6.30  PM  mild  setting  sun  light  falls  on  the  tank.  I  hope  these  light  should  not  be  a  problem.
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:07 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- immersed & s Reply with quote

@Tirtha:  Perfectly  said  for  heudelotti  as  it  is  relatively  easier  to  grow  as  compared  to  heteroclita.  i  have  known  
 people  who  have  had  just  a  rhizome  and  then  now  they  have  a  bush  of  heudelotti.besides,  i  too  never  agree  on  the  crappy  condition  part  but  if  the  crappy  condition  gives  stability  then  i  guess  we  are  on  the  right  path  to  grow  it.  besides  in  a  tank  with  presurrised  CO2  and  measured  dosing.  the  heudelotti  will  grow  fast  as  they  are  getting  a  constant  condition.  whereas  for  me  it  is  pretty  hard  to  attain  that  stability.

but,  heteroclita  is  a  tough  customer.  primarily  because  you  find  lesser  people  having  it  and  therefore  lesser  
 experience.  internet  proves  very  inefficient  and  talks  in  general(about  the  ferns  and  not  specifically  about  
 heteroclita).  Also,  heteroclita  is  a  notoriously  slow  grower  when  submerged.  so  i  tried  out  the  both  ways  to  grow  and  the  pictures  are  giving  a  good  idea.  

@Mayur:  as  per  your  suggestion,  i  am  going  to  cut  the  entire  leaf  of  one  of  the  rhizome.  and  then  perhaps  wait
 for  the  growth  from  rhizome.  so  i  will  have  now  three  test  cases.
 1.  submerged  with  leaves.
 2.  submerged  without  leaves.
 3.  Emersed

and,  thanks  for  your  suggestions  everyone.  i  will  use  this  thread  to  track  the  progress.  i  have  seen  very  less  

information  on  internet  for  this  plant.  and  i  intend  to  track  all  the  practicals  here.
 Other  comments  to  this  thread  is  welcome.  Smile
mayurdev
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:13 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- immersed & s Reply with quote

Sounds  like  a  plan  Muddassar  Thumb Up  

Regular  updates  with  photos  will  be  good  and  your  experiments  will  surely  add  a  lot  of  light  into  the  growth  of  this  plant.

@Tirtha  please  do  not  forget  to  post  pictures  of  your  tank.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:31 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- immersed & s Reply with quote

mayurdev  wrote  (View  Post):                

Thirtha  i  would  want  to  see  pictures  of  you  Bolbitis  once  your  computer  is  fixed  and  i  am  sure  Muddassar  will  also  appreciate  the  pictures,                

Will  do  sir.   Thumb Up  

mudjawd  wrote  (View  Post):                

@Tirtha:  Perfectly  said  for  heudelotti  as  it  is  relatively  easier  to  grow  as  compared  to  heteroclita.  i  have  known  
 people  who  have  had  just  a  rhizome  and  then  now  they  have  a  bush  of  heudelotti.besides,  i  too  never  agree  on  the  crappy  condition  part  but  if  the  crappy  condition  gives  stability  then  i  guess  we  are  on  the  right  path  to  grow  it.  besides  in  a  tank  with  presurrised  CO2  and  measured  dosing.  the  heudelotti  will  grow  fast  as  they  are  getting  a  constant  condition.  whereas  for  me  it  is  pretty  hard  to  attain  that  stability.

but,  heteroclita  is  a  tough  customer.  primarily  because  you  find  lesser  people  having  it  and  therefore  lesser  
 experience.  internet  proves  very  inefficient  and  talks  in  general(about  the  ferns  and  not  specifically  about  
 heteroclita).  Also,  heteroclita  is  a  notoriously  slow  grower  when  submerged.  so  i  tried  out  the  both  ways  to  grow  and  the  pictures  are  giving  a  good  idea.  

Thanks  for  the  information  bro..
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:07 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- immersed & s Reply with quote

will  move  the  10  gallon  (heteroclita  immersed)  near  the  window.  where  it  will  get  the  ambient  light  for  10  hours  and  direct  sun  for  30  minutes.  will  update  this  thread  as  soon  as  i  see  some  change...
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:49 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- update 1 Reply with quote

i  am  posting  4  pics.  
 1.  two  will  be  comparison  of  the  rhizomes  and  the  leaves  out  of  it.
 2.  the  other  two  comparison  of  the  tiny  plantlets  on  the  leaves(typical  fern  style)

Comparison  of  growth  from  the  Rhizome:
 the  immersed  took  off  well.  but  i  guess  due  to  the  less  stability  of  the  tank  it  has  taken  a  hit.  the  leaf  from  rhizome  is  growing  but  you  can  very  well  see  that  it  is  not  growing  as  fast  as  it  is  for  the  submerged  plant.

Comparison  of  growth  from  the  leaves:
 also,  the  plant  on  the  leaves  for  the  submerged  one  is  more  healthier  now,  whereas  the  growth  for  the  immersed  one  which  is  having  leaves  partially  inside  water  has  gone  bad.
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:56 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- update 1 Reply with quote

also,  the  comparison  of  the  growth  from  the  leaves....

so  far  the  Bolbitis  in  the  tank  with  CO2  and  fertilizer  looks  better  than  the  one  which  is  half  immersed  and  having  little  fertilizer  dosing.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:40 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- update 1 Reply with quote

Bolbitis  Heudelotii  in  my  tank   Smile  

Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:52 am Post subject: Re: Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- update 1 Reply with quote

Heres  mine,  took  it  3  months  back,  it  was  growing  fine,  until  the  summer  heat  made  my  tank  suffer.  All  my  ferns  stopped  growing,  moss  went  brown,  tenellus  melted.  Hopefully  things  are  getting  back  to  normal(except  ferns)  after  I  added  CPU  fans.

Most  of  the  new  plantlets  became  brown  and  stopped  growing.

Hopefully,  a  few  new  leaves  have  shown  up  from  rhisome.  

mayurdev
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:04 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- update 1 Reply with quote

Tirtha,  Nice  healthy  bolbitis  you  got  there.A  full  tank  photo  will  be  helpful.
 You  seem  to  love  to  grow  algae,  You  are  welcome  to  the  Wonderfull  Algae  Growers  Club  Chuckle   Thumb Up
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:11 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- update 1 Reply with quote

hey  Hamza.  mine  tank  temperature  is  29-30  in  the  daytime......i  can  see  some  hampering  in  the  size  of  the  plantlets.
 but  ,  as  i  was  told  that  it  is  painfully  slow  growing,  i  don't  see  that  as  i  am  kind  of  satisfied  with  the  growth.

i'll  post  some  pics  later  in  the  day.
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:18 pm Post subject: Re: Bolbitis Heteroclita:Growth comparison- update 1 Reply with quote

@Muddassar,  I  stay  on  the  top  floor,  with  roof  above  me,  and  theres  no  AC/air  cooler  where  the  tank  is  kept.  It  was  around  32-35deg  throughout  the  day,  now  reduced  to  25-28deg.  They  are  indeed  slow  growers,  the  new  leaf  in  second  photo  is  around  3-4weeks  old.
 The  baby  rhisomes  are  fully  formed  and  look  sturdy,  I  was  thinking  to  remove  them  from  the  leaf  and  attach  else  where.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: