33. Guest
34. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,426

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Live Rock and Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sikander
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:15 am Post subject: LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK Reply with quote

Hi  All,

just  had  a  query  ...........i  saw  loads  of  recipies  of  man  made  live  rock  on  the  net  on  how  to  make  live  rock  ...but  just  had  a  query  ...

how  close  is  this  to  our  live  rock  .does  it  develops  the  same  potential  as  live  rock  ...what  are  the  back  drops  of  it  and  positive  points  of  it  ..

how  safe  is  it  in  india  to  have  live  rock  set  up  as  it  is  banned  ....

regards,
 sikander
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:28 am Post subject: Re: LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK Reply with quote

Hi  Sikander,

I  have  personally  used  a  lot  of  live  rock  in  various  tank  setups.  However  its  like  one  is  a  BMW  and  the  other  a  FIAT.

So  truly  there  is  not  1  to  1  comparison.  A  lot  of  myth  is  that  MMLR  when  it  gets  coverted  with  Coraline  its  turned  into  LR.  However  that  really  is  not  the  case.  LR  has  a  lot  critters  and  other  organizm  a  lot  of  them  not  even  visible  to  the  naked  eye  which  make  them  LR.  This  however  will  rarely  get  transfered  to  your  MMLR  and  if  they  do  will  take  years  and  years  to  do  so.  

So  in  reality  MMLR  is  no  comparison  with  LR.  Yes  however  if  you  have  no  choice  at  all  of  LR  then  its  a  good  option  to  look  at.

In  terms  of  how  safe  it  is.  my  personal  thoughts  are  anything  thats  banned  is  not  safe  to  keep.  I  doubt  if  anyone  can  give  you  any  guarantee.

Warm  Regards
 Nirav  Shah
 Indiapetstore.com
niroo
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:32 am Post subject: Re: LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK Reply with quote

Hello,

Totally  new  to  Marine  Aquariums...  Just  a  small  query..?

Why  these  LRs  are  banned  in  our  country..?

thank  you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sikander
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:34 am Post subject: Re: LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK Reply with quote

niroo  ,

they  are  reef  building  rocks  .......and  greedy  ppl  have  destroyed  are  reef  by  breaking  down  these  rocks  ......as  live  rocks  are  nothing  much  than  like  dead  corals  ......

sikander
sikander
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:39 am Post subject: Re: LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK Reply with quote

i  agree  with  you  nirav  .......does  any  one  in  IAH  has  tried  MMLR  ..have  any  one  succeeded  ...

can  any  one  give  me  indian  masala  recipe  of  live  rock  ......  Chuckle  

regards,
 sikander
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:55 am Post subject: Re: LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK Reply with quote

@niroo
 Live  rock  form  an  essential  part  of  the  marine  ecosystem.  They  are  the  true  filters  of  the  sea  water.  Thus  removing  them  from  the  sea  disturbs  the  complete  ecosystem  and  which  is  why  its  banned  in  india.  Since  the  way  they  were  picked  methods  used  were  not  right  and  it  nearly  wiped  out  the  complete  indian  ocean  reefs.  However  Live  rock  is  just  sedimentary  deposits  of  clacium,  lava  etc  etc  which  has  formed  into  rocks  over  centuries.  They  necessary  however  are  not  dead  corals.

@sikander

I  have  made  MMLR  in  india,  using  Aragonite  from  Red  Sea  first  and  then  coral  reef  since  this  was  cheaper,  used  styrofoam  boxes  filled  with  aragnoite  again  to  act  as  a  mould,  I  used  JK  White  cement  which  was  locally  available.  When  i  mixed  the  mixture  i  dropped  a  couple  of  cheap  airstones  in  them  and  had  them  running  to  make  the  mixture  porus.  Also  topped  it  with  salt  which  made  it  porus  as  well.  The  more  porus  you  can  make  it   the  better.  Once  completely  cured  and  hard,  i  gave  it  a  white  vinegar  wash  and  post  which  cured  it  for  6  weeks  with  alternate  day  water  changes  while  curing.

Cheers
 Nirav
sikander
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:19 pm Post subject: Re: LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK Reply with quote

nirav  i  know  this  technique  .........its  good  some   thing  new  was  leaving  the  airstones  running  .......this  i  never  knew  .......ohk  please  let  me  know  did  you  use  it  and  did  coralline  algae  

flourished  on  it  or  at  least  diatoms  Chuckle
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:34 pm Post subject: Re: LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK Reply with quote

At  first  it  flourished  with  diatoms  for  about  3  months,  however  if  you  maintain  the  right  kind  lighting  and  dosing  you  should  be  able  to  keep  this  at  bare  minimum.  I  use  an  Ozonizer  in  my  tank  which  is  completely  wiped  out  the  diatoms...  and  now  after  1year  its  covered  with  coralline.  However  the  coraline  spike  has  been  more  recent  after  i  added  the  ozonizer.

Warm  Regards
 Nirav  Shah
 Indiapetstore.com
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:45 pm Post subject: Re: LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK Reply with quote

niroo  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hello,

Totally  new  to  Marine  Aquariums...  Just  a  small  query..?

Why  these  LRs  are  banned  in  our  country..?

thank  you                

Some  people  have  Kidney  Stones,  so  it  could  harm  the  supply  Smile
fishcos
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:11 pm Post subject: Re: LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK Reply with quote

As  per  wild  life  protection  act  reef  building  corals  are  banned  not  the  live  rocks.But  collecting  anything  (including  fish)  from  a  marine  sanctury  is  banned.
 troy
suneeshkachroo
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:20 pm Post subject: Re: LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK Reply with quote

I  have  tried  MMLR  successfully  and  have  nice  coraline  growth  on  it  .....  
 but  even  then  if  we  think  of  MMLR  as  an  option  for  LR  we  need  LR  to  seed  the  MMLR  ..  So   ultimately  we  are  harming  the  reefs  till  the  time  we  dont  have  a  substitute  for  seeding  we  are  goin  to  luk  for  LR  .....
 the  prob  is  once  a  person   gets   to  know  the  source  for   LR     he  will  go  for  quantity  as  it  will  take  minumum  of  3-4  month  for  MMLR  to  built  LR  like  properties  and  majority  of  people  will  not  have  patience  for  MMLR  .....

regards  
 Suneesh
nimmat
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:44 pm Post subject: Re: LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK Reply with quote

I  have  done  MMLR  as  well  and  it  is  no  where  near  to  the  porosity  of  natural  live  rock  (this  can  be  evident  bu  comparing  their  dry  weight).  But  it  does  work  though  not  as  efficiently.  I  believe  that  smaller  MMLR  pieces  do  better  job  than  big  bulky  ones.

It  does  however  takes  months  or  years  for  any  rock  to  become  live  as  coralline  is  not  the  only  thing  that  will  live  on  it.  Bacteria  strains,  tube  worms,  amphipods  etc.  all  need  to  be  able  to  live  on  the  rock.

I  am  going  to  give  another  batch  a  shot  using  a  different  sand  and  the  salt  method  to  see  if  it  increases  the  porosity  of  the  rock.  

Nim
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:47 am Post subject: Re: LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK Reply with quote

suneeshkachroo  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  have  tried  MMLR  successfully  and  have  nice  coraline  growth  on  it  .....  
 but  even  then  if  we  think  of  MMLR  as  an  option  for  LR  we  need  LR  to  seed  the  MMLR  ..  So   ultimately  we  are  harming  the  reefs  till  the  time  we  dont  have  a  substitute  for  seeding  we  are  goin  to  luk  for  LR  .....
 the  prob  is  once  a  person   gets   to  know  the  source  for   LR     he  will  go  for  quantity  as  it  will  take  minumum  of  3-4  month  for  MMLR  to  built  LR  like  properties  and  majority  of  people  will  not  have  patience  for  MMLR  .....

regards  
 Suneesh                

Who  made  that  MMLR  !!  ...  Cheering
suneeshkachroo
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:12 pm Post subject: Re: LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK Reply with quote

Yes  Yes  that  MMLR  was  made  by  Nirav  bro  the  only  reason  i  have  marine  setup  Rock On   .......
 i  can  call  my  MMLR      NMLR   (Nirav  Made  Live  rock  )  ROFL  

Cheers  
 suneesh
sikander
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:30 pm Post subject: Re: LIVE ROCK Vs MAN MADE LIVE ROCK Reply with quote

yep  so  from  now  i  am  also  going  to  call  it  NMLR  ..............and  to  save  the  reef  i  am  ready  to  have  patience  and  can  do  with  NMLR  

thanks  nirav  for  all  your  info  on  MMLR  and  NMLR
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Live Rock and Invertebrates All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: