46. Guest
47. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,835

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Munna
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:16 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

Thanx  Maxv.  I  dont  have  a  powerhead  or  a  submersible  filter.  I  have  a  simple  sponge  filter  and  an  airpump.  I  have  made  a  three  way  connection  to  accommodate  a  bottle  of  co2  into  the  tank.  I  was  more  worried  about  my  fishes  hence  did  not  have  the  guts  to  connect  this  earlier,  but  now  I  have.  Lets  see  it  this  helps  my  plants  grow.  

Once  again  thanx  a  lot.
sunil_poo
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:32 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

Thumbs Up   thnx  for  the  info
smartlove_518
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:44 am Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

i  have  used  a  500ml  bottle  of  water  and  added  4  small  spoon  of  sugar  at  around  15  small  granules  of  active  yeast.i  have  connected  the  tube  to  the  powerhead  but  my  CO2  generation  hasnt  started,  is  there  something  i  am  doing  wrong
Munna
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:13 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

Rameez,  Shake  the  bottle  a  bit.  

Use  a  little  warm  water  (not  hot)  next  time.
smartlove_518
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:30 am Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

probably  the  water  got  too  hot  i  think.i  put  it  for  a  minute  in  the  microwave.  ill  do  that  tonight  and  see
ckarta
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:34 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

Nice  threaad!

I  have  a  query  and  a  correction.

The  query  is  did  any  of  you  guys  experience  any  pinkish  slimy  growth  on  everything  in  the  tank  with  this  kinda  DIY  setup?  I  did  this  an  year  ago  but  had  to  discontinue  die  to  that.  During  this  time,  I  had  lighting  28  Watt  CFL  on  the  10G  tank  and  plants  like  red  lily,  red  cabomba  etc.  The  water  temperatires  were  a  bit  on  the  higher  side  too.

And  the  correction  is  that  the  soda  added  will  not  prolong  the  CO2  formation  IMO.  It  will  act  as  an  anti  contamination  agent  as  it  increases  the  pH,  I  know  this  from  my  wine  making  experience.  In  addition,  I  have  always  used  low  pH  (around  3.5)  to  prevent  contamination  in  my  wines  and  the  results  have  been  fantastic.

This  brings  me  to  one  of  the  probable  answers  to  my  query,  was  it  the  acidic  medium,  as  all  of  you  seem  to  use  a  basic  one.  I'll  try  both  these  things  in  similar  aquaria  and  post  asap.  Right  now  I  have  some  kinda  small  grass  (nor  hair  grass,  sm1  told  me  its  dwarf  grass  but  it  seems  too  much  a  general  name)  and  a  bit  of  glosso  in  the  10G  with  a  36W  T5.  On  the  thermometer,  the  temperatures  are  low  as  it  has  a  good  ventilated  roof.
matnoh
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:26 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Further  to  all  the  queries  raised,  I  would  like  to  add  another  one,  if  it  is  o.k.  to  all  of  you.

First  thing  first,  I  am  new  to  this  DIY  CO2  gen.   Mine  is  working  fine  using  a  500  ml  mineral  water  bottle  with  a  cup  of  sugar,  some  baking  soda  and  of  course  some  baker's  yeast.   I  am  using  a  small  powerhead  to  break  up  the  bigger  CO2  bubbles  to  a  very  fine  bubbles  and  hoping  that  they  will  be  able  to  dissolve  efficiently  in  my  3  feet  tank.   It  has  been  more  than  a  week  now  and  the  CO2  is  still  bubbling  day  in  day  out  24/7.   BTW,  I  placed  the  CO2  gen.  bottle  above  the  tank,  not  below  the  tank  for  safety  precaution.

O.K.,  I  would  to  seek  expert  advice  whether  there  is  any  formula  or  certain  maximum  depth  in  placing  the  end  tube  where  the  CO2  bubbles  come  out  to  the  surface  area  of  the  aquarium  water  for  effficient  dissolving  of  the  CO2?
jamir
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:55 am Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

Does  anyone  use  check  valve/safety/return  valves  in  their  DIY  CO2  bottles?  I  have  2  2L  bottles  with  airline  tube  and  my  bottle  sits  under  the  tank  -  my  tank  is  2  feet  tall  and  the  bottle  sits  under  the  tank.  One  bottle  had  water  siphon  from  the  tank.  I  am  still  setting  up  the  tank.  The  CO2  bottles  are  empty  now  but  the  airline  is  in  the  bottom  of  the  tank  with  water  and  the  other  end  of  the  airline  is  connected  to  the  empty  bottles.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:40 am Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

jamir  wrote  (View  Post):                
Does  anyone  use  check  valve/safety/return  valves  in  their  DIY  CO2  bottles?  I  have  2  2L  bottles  with  airline  tube  and  my  bottle  sits  under  the  tank  -  my  tank  is  2  feet  tall  and  the  bottle  sits  under  the  tank.  One  bottle  had  water  siphon  from  the  tank.  I  am  still  setting  up  the  tank.  The  CO2  bottles  are  empty  now  but  the  airline  is  in  the  bottom  of  the  tank  with  water  and  the  other  end  of  the  airline  is  connected  to  the  empty  bottles.                

Yes  I  am  using  a  one  way  valve...plus  I  have  used  a  "T"  also,  I  pass  the  air  from  the  air  pump  and  tis  air  take  the  CO2  with  it  to  the  filter,  I  have  also  attached  an  airstone  in  the  filter  to  give  out  small  bubbles

koko
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:04 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

Hi  Garothmaan
 I  could  not  read  the  labels  properly,  in  the  photograph  that  u  have  send  .  being  a  beginner  in  this  field  I  Just  wanted  to  know  what  these  plastic  parts  are  known  as  ...Could  u  make  it  a  little  more  clear.  
 Also  can  u  please  make  the  explanation  about  your  connections  a  little  more  simple.
 thanks  
 koko
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:40 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

koko  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Garothmaan
 I  could  not  read  the  labels  properly,  in  the  photograph  that  u  have  send  .  being  a  beginner  in  this  field  I  Just  wanted  to  know  what  these  plastic  parts  are  known  as  ...Could  u  make  it  a  little  more  clear.                  

1.  The  first  label  from  the  left  side  says  air  from  air  pump
 2.  the  2nd  label  from  the  left  (centre)  says  "T"
 3.  the  3rd  label  says  tap  (air  controller  for  outlet  CO2)
 4.  A  plastic  bottle,  two  plastic  pipes  Surprised  

koko  wrote  (View  Post):                

Also  can  u  please  make  the  explanation  about  your  connections  a  little  more  simple.
 thanks  
 koko                
jamir
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:08 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

Hi  garothman,
 Where  is  your  check  valve?  Is  it  the  one  on  top  of  the  bottle  cap?  Thanks
 Do  you  know  where  I  can  get  the  check  valve  online?  Thanks
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:17 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

jamir  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  garothman,
 Where  is  your  check  valve?  Is  it  the  one  on  top  of  the  bottle  cap?  Thanks
 Do  you  know  where  I  can  get  the  check  valve  online?  Thanks                

Yes  its  on  the  cap  itself,  I  dont  know  if  its  sold  online,  try  Indianpetstore  may  be  Smile  ,  I  bought  it  from  crawford  market,  but  I  think  you'll  get  it  online  its  a  common  item...
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:27 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

Air  Pump  and  CO2  don't  go  together  for  injecting  a  CO2  into  a  planted  tank.
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:45 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

Never  knew  you  could  draw  so  well  Garothmaan!   Clapping   ROFL   ROFL   ROFL  

Just  kidding  mate!  No  hard  feelings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: