66. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 796
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 796

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,834

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Borewell water
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Borewell water

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> New Members and Beginners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koolbanti
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:11 pm Post subject: Borewell water Reply with quote

Hi  All,

I  am  planning  to  setup  a  new  5'  planted  tank  and  wanted  to  know  if  its  was  good  to  use  borewell  water  since  this  could  be  hard.I  am  asking  because  I  have  read  somewhere  that  plants  and  some  fish(Cicklids,etc)  do  not  thrive  in  borewell  water.If  so,are  there  any  chemicals  or  any  other  way  to  turn  my  water  soft?Also,  are  there  any  equipment  to  check  hardness,ph  level  of  water?

Need  help/advice  from  all  the  Gurus  as  I  am  just  a  novice  in  this  hobby.

Regards,
 Chetan
niroo
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:18 pm Post subject: Re: Borewell water Reply with quote

I  will  not  say  about  plants  with  a  command  but  for  fish  i  found  no  problem  what  so  ever..
 I  have  Angels  and  Oscar  with  me  for  last  3  years(in  borewell  water).  My  borewell  water  having  ph  7  and  i  tested  many  times  to  found  it  the  same.  The  problem  i  face  is  white  deposits  on  glass  edges  (water  level  mark)  which  need  regular  cleaning
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:19 pm Post subject: Re: Borewell water Reply with quote

Most  fishes,  even  classified  as  softwater  fishes  can  survive  in  pretty  hard  water,  if  your  aim  is  not  breeding.   There  are  a  few  hardy  plants  like  a  few  Echinodorous,  Mints,  Crypts,  java  fern,  java  moss  that  can  tolerate  hard  water  as  well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shameek
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:53 am Post subject: Re: Borewell water Reply with quote

Hi  Chetan,  in  borewell  water  i  have  got  a  jungle  of  Hemianthus  micranthemoides,  Rotala  rotundifolia.  You  can  grow  these  plants  in   borewell  water  as  well.
essabee
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:31 am Post subject: Re: Borewell water Reply with quote

Borewell  water  varies  from  bores  to  bores  and  season  to  season.  Some  bore-well  carry  heavy  metals  and  the  water  is  not  potable.

If  the  water  remains  potable  all  through  the  year,  you  can  use  it  for  your  aquarium.  I  do.  Plants  and  Fish  have  an  ability  to  adapt  itself  to  different  waters  as  long  as  the  water  does  not  vary  drastically  from  time  to  time.  Doctoring  the  water  is  therefore  un-advisable  and  using  it  from  a  constant  source,  even  a  bore-well,  is  advisable.
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:35 am Post subject: Re: Borewell water Reply with quote

Right  now  am  using  untreated  fresh  borewell  water  directly  from  tap(have  no  place  to  store/  aerate  it)  for  all  my  tanks.  Its  PH  range  was  round  7.6  something  long  back,  dint  check  after  that.  All  my  fishes  are  fine.
 My  rams  are  breeding  quite  often  and  fry  are  hatching  and  free-swimming  sometimes  in  this  water.  
 Earlier  serpae  tetras  used  to  lay  eggs.

But  I  dont  recommend  this  for  anyone,  as  water  is  different  at  different  places.
koolbanti
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:11 pm Post subject: Re: Borewell water Reply with quote

Thanks  you  all  for  useful  inputs...

niroo  wrote  (View  Post):                

The  problem  i  face  is  white  deposits  on  glass  edges  (water  level  mark)  which  need  regular  cleaning

Can  you  give  me  the  cleaning  method  of  these  edges,looks  very  ugly  in  my  small  tank.Do  you  use  some  sort  of  solution?

How  much  these  testing(pH/hardness)  tools  cost  and  location  to  buy  them  in  Bangalore  can  someone  PM  me  ?

Best  Regards,
 Chetan
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:45 pm Post subject: Re: Borewell water Reply with quote

You  can  scrap  that  off  with  a  shaving  blade,  or  an  old  credit  card.  
 You  can  use  cloth  dipped  in  dilute  HCL(toiled  acid)  or  vinegar  and  rub  the  layer  of  deposits,  but  be  careful,  it  should  not  get  mixed  with  tank  water.
koolbanti
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:58 pm Post subject: Re: Borewell water Reply with quote

Thanks  Hamza,

I  will  do  that.

Regards,
 Chetan
vaibhav9322
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:26 pm Post subject: Re: Borewell water Reply with quote

Hi  Koolbanti,

i'll  share  my  experience  ,  i  used  borewell  water  for  5  years,  i  had  no  problem  with  it  ,  infact  i  found  my  fishes  surviving  more  as  compared  with  my  friends  (using  soft  water),  borewell  water  has  more  minerals  which  is  good  for  fishes  ,,,  now  i  am  using  soft  water  since  i  am  having  softwater  at  my  place  now  so  i  am  using  that  facility  ,  but  ya  borewell  water  is  good  fishes  dont  worry

ENJOY
koolbanti
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:23 pm Post subject: Re: Borewell water Reply with quote

Even  I  got  the  same  information  from  many  of  the  hobbyists.So  I  am  lucky   Cheering
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  New Members and Beginners All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: