36. Guest
37. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,846

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - A Trip To Mangrove :: Jammu Island UPDATED
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

A Trip To Mangrove :: Jammu Island UPDATED
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:17 am Post subject: A Trip To Mangrove :: Jammu Island UPDATED Reply with quote

I  could  not  manage  to  go  to  my  native  place  for  last  2  years  due  to  different  reasons.  And  suddenly  I  got  a  chance  to  go  for  a  small  trip  to  Kolkata  to  attend  my  friend’s  wedding.  As  my  parents  are  here  in  Gurgaon,  so  I  decided  to  go  alone  for  5  days.  

The  first  thing  what  came  to  my  mind  is  a  fishy  trip.  So  I  posted  my  thoughts  in  Kolkata  Aquarium  Club  community  about  a  trip  to  world’s  largest  Mangrove  forest  Sundarban.  Instantly  couple  of  KA  club  members  picked  up  the  initiative  and  started  to  enquire  the  details.  But  sadly  we  picked  up  a  wrong  time.  We  could  not  find  out  a  single  boat  who  agreed  to  take  us  to  Deep  into  Sundarban  overnight,  afraid  of  storm  and  cyclone.  Top  of  that,  this  is  the  breeding  time  of  Royal  Bengal  Tiger,  Snakes  and  crocodile.  So  we  had  to  call  it  off.

Then  suddenly  Abhis  came  up  with  an  idea  of  Bakkhali  Trip.  Bakkhali  is  the  entry  point  of  Sundarban,  where  we  will  get  lots  of  mangrove  biotope  as  well  as  we  can  come  back  to  a  hotel  end  of  the  day.  Again  bad  luck.  Most  of  the  active  KA  members  stuck  with  their  semesters.  Only  we  4  (Abhis,  Amitava,  Mithun  and  me)  agreed  to  go  for  this  place  to  explore  the  biotope  and  collect  information,  so  we  can  again  plan  for  a  bigger  trip  later,  for  the  real  Sundarban.
 I  reached  28th  April,  to  kolkata  and  meet  with  KA  members  next  day.  It  was  a  mind  blowing  experience  to  meet  with  a  huge  group  of  Serious,  Active  and  young  hobbyists.  I  am  interacting  with  all  of  them  for  last  2  years  through  mails  and  orkut  but  never  met.  And  simply  flooded  with  a  worm  homecoming.  

Avik(TIGERMATH),  Krishnendu,  Amitava  (AMITAVA),  Aninda,  David(DAVIDLEE),  Indra(indrajitbhattacharya),  Tirtha  (T2CHATTO)
 Abhishankar(ABHIS),  Aashique,  Mithun  (MITHUNDA)
 Souvik(VOLCANO**),  Abhirup,  Rocky(DJ_ROCKY)  &  Pratik

After  having  a  super  alcoholic  party  at  late  evening,  I  slept  early  and  simply  forgot  to  wish  my  wife  our  4th  marriage  anniversary.  It’s  better  to  keep  rest  of  the  story  secret.

Day  1  ::  Henry  Island

On  1st  May,  6:30AM  Me,  Amitava,  Mithun  and  Abhis  started  for  Bakkhali  from  Kolkata.  From  Jadavpur,  we  picked  up  one  of  our  junior  KA  member  Abhirup,  who  told  his  parents  that  he  is  going  for  a  last  moment  group  study.

It  was  a  long  journey  (Around  150KM)  and  a  real  hot  day  with  full  of  humidity.  Amitava  started  picking  up  speed,  the  moment  he  came  out  from  city.  Around  10:30AM  we  reached  Diamond  Harbor.  Right  after  taking  a  sharp  turn,  a  huge  splash  of  Salted  water  welcomed  us.  

All  of  us  were  starving  for  a  cup  of  tea  and  some  food  because  none  of  us  had  breakfast.  But  Captain  Amitava  again  dumped  everyone  to  his  Alto  and  said  “Lets  Go”.  The  journey  was  nice  and  Abhis  is  the  real  entertainer.  The  fight  to  capture  the  co  pilot  seat  kept  us  busy  at  every  stop.  Finally  at  11AM  we  reached  Namkhana  where  we  had  to  cross  “Doaani  Charani”  river.  There  was  a  long  queue  of  vehicles  to  catch  the  next  Barge.  

Suddenly  Mithun  disappeared  and  came  up  with  a  plate  full  of  Bengali  sweets  (Rasa  Malai).  Immediately  we  started  hogging.  By  the  time  we  finished  the  sweets  our  turn  came  to  catch  the  barge.

At  12  Noon  we  reached  Bakkhali  and  checked  into  Hotel.  

The  first  thing  Mithun  and  I  discovered  was  the  AC  is  not  working  in  our  room  and  there  was  no  empty  AC  room  we  can  move  into.  Everyone  was  damn  hungry  and  dirty  with  sweat  and  dust.  So  we  planned  to  take  a  quick  bath  to  start  our  day  job.  Mithun  went  for  bath  and  I  spotted  couple  of  small  water  bodies  from  our  hotel  window.  I  and  Abhirup  immediately  ran  out  to  raid  those  water  bodies  if  we  can  spot  any  fish.  

Those  swamps  were  almost  dried  up  and  hundreds  of  Blue  Panchax  was  thriving  in  those  swamps.  As  our  aim  was  to  explore  the  Mangroves  and  Delta  areas,  we  were  not  carrying  any  hand  net.  I  started  trying  to  catch  them  by  hand  while  Abhirup  return  to  hotel  to  get  a  plastic  bag.  Within  minutes,  he  returned  with  a  plastic  bag,  Mithun  and  a  clean  towel  which  we  have  used  as  net  to  catch  the  killies.  Later  we  discovered,  that  was  Abhi’s  towel  stolen  by  Mithun.  Within  5  min  we  were  able  to  catch  around  15  killies  and  returned  to  hotel  with  our  first  catch  of  the  day.  We  3  were  covered  with  full  of  slurry  mud  and  bare  feet.  When  we  crossed  the  reception,  some  city  beauties  started  laughing  after  seeing  these  muddy  faces.

Within  10  min  we  again  came  out  of  hotel  and  had  a  quick  lunch  at  a  road  side  dhaba  and  started  for  Henry  Island.  When  we  reached  Govt.  check  post,  another  bad  news  was  waiting  for  us.  Fishing  banned  for  next  3  months  in  all  Delta  areas  as  this  is  the  breeding  time.  We  parked  our  car  and  crossed  a  small  bamboo  bridge  to  enter  into  the  island.  Now  our  hiking  started  through  dense  mangrove  forest  and  knee  deep  slurry  mud.  

Suddenly  I  spotted  something  everywhere  in  the  mud  moving  and  drifting  around.  After  taking  a  closer  look,  we  found  those  are  Mud  Skippers.  A  huge  colony  of  Mud  skippers  who  started  approaching,  near  to  us  without  any  fear.  It  was  impossible  to  get  some  decent  pictures  standing  in  that  mud.  

Abhis  started  trying  to  catch  the  buggers  while  I  and  Mithun  were  busy  taking  the  pictures  of  their  home  ground.  We  spotted  couple  of  amphibious  plants  growing  on  simple  sand  but  failed  to  ID  them.  

One  Plant  which  need  ID,

After  a  long  hike  finally  we  reached  to  the  Virgin  Beach  of  Henry  Island  which  is  full  of  Red  Crab  and  Drift  wood  (mangrove  Roots).  It  was  an  experience  to  see  those  roots  everywhere,  what  we  used  to  pick  up  from  LFS  paying  thousands.  

Mithun  and  Abhirup  started  collecting  woods  like  a  mad  and  within  few  minutes  we  got  a  nice  small  hip  of  roots.  

Then  we  all  started  picking  up  the  good  ones  from  that  hip  to  take  back  to  Kolkata.

It  was  already  3:30PM  and  we  started  to  heading  back  to  our  car.  As  Abhirup  has  to  catch  the  Bus  from  Namkhana  to  return  to  his  home  on  time  after  completing  day  long  group  study.
 When  Abhirup  left  us,  we  started  to  explore  the  town,  which  is  nothing  but  a  small  colony  of  fishermen  and  couple  of  weekend  resorts.  The  whole  area  is  powered  up  by  the  electricity  produced  by  Wind  Mills.  Most  of  the  shops  are  closed  as  it  is  off  season  and  fishing  is  banned  this  part  of  the  year.  Everyone  whoever  saw  us,  becoming  suspicious  of  our  activity  and  questions  we  are  asking.  They  never  saw  this  kind  of  mad  men  who  are  asking  about  native  fish  and  plants  instead  of  asking  the  location  of  nearest  liquor  shop.  

A  big  surprise  was  waiting  for  us  at  that  evening  when  we  returned  to  hotel.  We  knew,  Abhis  having  another  hobby  of  collecting  Vintage  Wines  and  liquors  from  all  over  world  but  we  also  knew,  he  never  invite  anyone  to  enjoy  a  single  drop  of  those  good  stuffs.  But  suddenly  when  he  took  out  a  bottle  of  vintage  Bordeaux  from  his  bag,  our  tiredness  gone  with  the  salted  evening  wind.

End  Of  Day  One.

Last edited by Tirtha C on Thu May 07, 2009 1:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Imperator
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:29 am Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Neat  pictures  Tirtha!   Clapping  
 Really  liked  the  second  and  fifth  pics.
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:42 am Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Looking  forward  to  more,  Thirtha.  An  ID  over  the  heads  of  the  hobbyists  will  be  helpful.

I  recognize  Amitava  and  you  in  the  third  row,  Abhis  in  the  second  and  Rocky  sitting.
bmvbab
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:21 am Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Cool  place.  Would  add  it  to  my  list  Smile
diwan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:37 am Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

The  mangroves  are  looking  great.The  pics  and  narration  is  nice.  Thumb Up  

Regards
 Dinesh.
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:15 am Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

From  left  to  right  >  
 Avik,  Krishnendu,  Amitava,  Aninda,  David,  Indra,  Tirtha
 Abhishankar,  Aashique,  Mithun
 Souvik,  Abhirup,  Rocky  &  Pratik

Quote:                
Only  we  4  (Abhis,  Amitava,  Mithun  and  me)  agreed  to  go  for  this  place  to  explore  the  biotope  and  collect  information                
 Mad
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:16 am Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Nice  trip  guys!   Thumb Up  and  keep  it  rolling.  Very Happy  
 Cool  to  see  a  big  gang  clubbing  up,  but  it  would  be  better  if  we  know  them  with  their  IAH  Ids,  may  be  we  would  not  need  an  ID  during  Aquatika  when  you  guys  drop  in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:23 am Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

I  saw  a  glimpse  of  the  pictures  at  home  this  morning  before  coming  to  work.
 Awesome  pics.
 Will  read  the  narraion  at  leisure.
hayath_dyno

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:27 am Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Excellent  narration  Tirth!
 You  said  end  of  day  1,  how  many  days  were  you  guys  there  ?

The  mangroves  are  high  on  my  must-see  list,  hopefully  I'm  able  to  see  it  soon.
 The  crabs  on  the  beach  look  super  nice.

cheers,
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:01 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Those  mangroves  are  fantastic....,  great  trip  and  thanks  for  sharing.
tigermath
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:23 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Nice  photo  story  Tirthada.  Clapping
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:52 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Hello,

As  per  I  know  Currently  following  people  having  their  IAH  Ids  :

Abhis               -  abhis9
 Rocky              -  DJ_Rocky
 Tirtha              -  T2CHATTO
 Amitava         -  Amitava
 Avik                 -  tigermath
 Souvik           -  volcano
 Mithun           -  mithunda
 Krishnendu  -  mondal.Krishnendu09
 Indra              -  indrajit
 David              -  davidlee

Thanks
shameek
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:55 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Tirtha  da,  it's  a  very  memorable  trip  for  all  of  you...spend  a  great  time  there.
 Thanks  for  sharing  Thumb Up  

I  am  missing  in  the  group  photo  Sad   Sad   Sad
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:56 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Hi  Hayath  

This  trip  is  for  2  days  only.

We  started  1st  may  morning  6.30  AM  and  return  home  2nd  May  arround  9  PM  at  night.

Thanks
sikander
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:02 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

great  fun  guys  .......  Clapping   Clapping  

beautiful  pictures
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: