179. Guest
180. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,701

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - A Trip To Mangrove :: Jammu Island UPDATED
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

A Trip To Mangrove :: Jammu Island UPDATED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:32 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Thanks  a  lot  everyone  for  your  comments.

nature_lover  wrote  (View  Post):                
Looking  forward  to  more,  Thirtha.  An  ID  over  the  heads  of  the  hobbyists  will  be  helpful.

I  recognize  Amitava  and  you  in  the  third  row,  Abhis  in  the  second  and  Rocky  sitting.                

Done   Thumb Up  

hayath_dyno  wrote  (View  Post):                

Excellent  narration  Tirth!
 You  said  end  of  day  1,  how  many  days  were  you  guys  there  ?

The  mangroves  are  high  on  my  must-see  list,  hopefully  I'm  able  to  see  it  soon.
 The  crabs  on  the  beach  look  super  nice.

cheers,

Hayath,  it  was  a  2  day  trip.  Second  day,  we  raided  another  island  (Jammu  Island)  bit  away  from  the  main  land.  I  will  post  the  details  tonight.  And  I  will  let  you  know  well  before  we  go  to  Sundarban  next  time,  so  you  can  join  with  us.  It  will  be  great  to  have  you  with.

Madan  wrote  (View  Post):                

Those  mangroves  are  fantastic....,  great  trip  and  thanks  for  sharing.

You  welcome  Sir.  According  to  the  local  people,  these  Mangroves  are  just  an  demo.  They  told  us  to  go  deep  into  Sundarban  and  check  out  the  narrow  canals  (Suti  Khals),  to  see  the  real  mangrove  biotope.  Cause  due  to  polution,  most  of  the  plants  and  fishes  wiped  out  from  this  place  and  thriving  far  away  from  the  main  land.

shameek  wrote  (View  Post):                

I  am  missing  in  the  group  photo  Sad   Sad   Sad

Then  who  would  have  clicked  the  group  photo??   Chuckle

Last edited by Tirtha C on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
brunocharge
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:41 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

pics  r  really  grt
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:06 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Nice  pics
maximus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:11 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Tirthada,great  pictures.Wished  I  could  have  joined  you  people.The  next  time  when  you  plan  please  do  tell  me  so  that  I  can  arrange  my  holidays  from  beforehand.
bmukh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:45 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Tirtha,
 Where  r  my  mudskippers???  Ok  ok  on  the  next  Sunderbans  trip.  Aah  the  mangrove  roots,  the  plants,  that  "poli  maati"  the  mudskippers  and  that  royal  stripe....

July  or  August?  Lets  start  planning  Smile
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:26 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

bmukh  wrote  (View  Post):                
Tirtha,
 Where  r  my  mudskippers???  Ok  ok  on  the  next  Sunderbans  trip.  Aah  the  mangrove  roots,  the  plants,  that  "poli  maati"  the  mudskippers  and  that  royal  stripe....

July  or  August?  Lets  start  planning  Smile                

No  way.  We  have  to  wait  till  october.  No  one  will  agree  to  take  us  there  on  boat  before  that.
shameek
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:26 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Quote:                
Then  who  would  have  clicked  the  group  photo??   Chuckle                

Dada,  I  think  this  snap  was  taken  when  you  were  leaving  Big  Boss....but  i  had  left  the  place  little  early  Crying or Very sad
Shreyasmrao
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:24 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Hey  very  interesting  trip  and  very  nice  pics.

Tirtha,  add  another  member  from  Bangalore  on  the  visit  list.  Hayath,  dont  you  dare  leave  me  behind  and  run  off.  Just  keep  me  informed  reasonably  in  advance  and  I  should  be  able  to  make  it  (other  than  first  week  of  any  month,  month  closes  for  a  finance  guy  you  see  Sad  )

Guess  you  enjoyed  yourselves.  looking  for  more  pics.  I  wanted  to  see  the  mudskipper  in  its  home,  special  thanks  for  those  pics.  What  and  all  did  you  guys  take  back  other  than  the  drift  wood?
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:36 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Deeper  into  Sundarbans  ?   Shocked   that  will  make  good  Tiger  bait  !
tigermath
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:57 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

I  will  take  care  of  the  tiger,  no  prob.  Very Happy  

@Tirthada,  if  Shameek  took  the  snap,  then  why  had  I  carried  my  tripod  the  whole  evening?  Mad
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:36 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Madan  wrote  (View  Post):                
Deeper  into  Sundarbans  ?   Shocked   that  will  make  good  Tiger  bait  !                

No  problem  Madan  Sir.  We  have  a  healthy  bait  ready  for  the  Royals.  Avik  is  working  with  the  Tiger  conservation  project.  So  they  will  be  happy  to  take  a  known  face  for  lunch.  

Shreyasmrao  wrote  (View  Post):                

Tirtha,  add  another  member  from  Bangalore  on  the  visit  list.  Hayath,  dont  you  dare  leave  me  behind  and  run  off.  Just  keep  me  informed  reasonably  in  advance  and  I  should  be  able  to  make  it  (other  than  first  week  of  any  month,  month  closes  for  a  finance  guy  you  see  Sad  )

As  you  said.  I  will  keep  you  guys  informed  well  before  the  trip.  It  will  be  great  to  have  a  big  team  to  go  together.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:39 pm Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

tigermath  wrote  (View  Post):                

@Tirthada,  if  Shameek  took  the  snap,  then  why  had  I  carried  my  tripod  the  whole  evening?  Mad                

All  credit  goes  to  that  still  unknown  face,  who  poured  neat  whiskey  in  my  glass.  Mad   I  just  have  a  blurred  memory  left  in  my  head.
tigermath
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:16 am Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Chuckle  @Tirthada,  If  u  can  show  me  one  royal  bengal  there,  I'm  ready  to  be  it's  lunch.  No  prob  in  that  as  well.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:46 am Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove Reply with quote

Day  2:  Jammu  Island

Last  night  Abhis  and  Amitava  told  us  to  get  ready  at  sharp  6AM  so  we  can  start  early.  But  I  was  the  only  person  who  kept  banging  the  Hotel  doors  to  wake  everyone.  I  call  up  everyone  and  went  for  another  nap  in  between.  Very Happy  Finally  at  7AM  we  have  started  for  Jammu  Island.  

It  was  1st  may  holiday,  so  we  could  not  find  out  a  single  piece  of  bread  anywhere  for  breakfast.  Empty  stomach  we  started  driving  and  within  30  min  we  reached  to  the  jetty.   

We  discovered  Lots  of  boat  on  the  bank  under  repairing  and  a  boat  cemetery.  

Amitava  discovered  a  small  market  where  2-3  shops  were  running.  We  had  some  boiled  eggs  and  some  year  old  cake  before  we  start.  

In  the  mean  time  Abhis  and  Mithun  completed  the  deal  with  a  boat  man  to  take  us  to  Jammu  Island.  It  was  offseason,  so  managed  to  get  a  cheap  rate.  But  surprises  began  when  they  found  we  are  only  4  and  we  are  going  to  find  out  plants  and  fish.  The  boat  man  was  utter  disappointed  when  he  found  we  are  not  carrying  a  single  bottle.  Anyway  the  journey  began.

We  found  1-2  small  boats  who  are  trying  to  catch  fishes  for  their  lunch  but  failed  to  catch  any,  till  the  time.  

We  were  in  the  connecting  canal,  the  water  was  almost  still.  Abhis  was  relieved  to  see  such  a  calm  river.  Both  the  river  bank  had  deep  and  dense  Mangrove  forest.  No  one  will  be  able  to  see  1  meter  through  the  forest.  

We  got  a  national  flag  hosted  top  of  the  boat.  Hen  asked,  we  get  to  know,  this  is  the  rule  as  Bangladesh  border  is  very  near.

After  20  min  we  hit  the  open  sea  and  it  was  high  tide.  Our  boat  started  drifting  like  a  small  piece  of  thermocol.  Within  second  we  found  Abhis,  sitting  beside  the  boatman  and  about  to  hold  him  in  fear  of  drowning.  I  was  forced  to  put  the  camera  back  into  my  backpack  due  to  constant  splash.  And  finally  after  one  hour  we  reached  Jammu  Island.  

A  huge  barren  white  sand  beach  welcomed  us.  As  the  sand  bed  was  loose,  we  started  walking  bare  feet.  The  beach  was  littered  with  Broken  shell  and  the  sand  was  really  heated  up.  We  found  different  unknown  species  on  the  sand  bed.  Not  truly  aquatic  but  amphibious  .  Abhis  and  Mithun  tried  to  collect  some,  but  gave  up  after  seeing  50meters  long  runners.  

I  need  your  help  again  to  ID  these.

We  again  found  lots  of  those  Red  Crabs  everywhere  but  those  buggers  were  so  smart  that  the  moment  we  started  moving,  they  were  hiding  in  holes.  The  kid  of  our  Boat  man  was  there  with  us,  and  Abhis  asked  if  he  can  catch  one  alive.  Within  2-3  min  he  pull  out  one  after  digging  the  holes.  

It  was  surprising  to  see  the  absence  of  any  marine  lives  in  the  island.  Only  we  found  some  dead  shells  that’s  all.   

The  intruder,

We  planned  to  enter  into  the  forest,  but  Forest  department  notice  stopped  us.  

When  asked  the  boatman,  we  found,  sometimes  tigers  come  to  this  island  for  search  of  food.  They  never  spotted  them  but  saw  pug  marks.  

After  spending  2  hours  in  the  island,  we  started  our  journey  back  to  the  main  land.  

There  was  nothing  left  to  see  except  Government’s  fish  hatcheries.  We  dropped  the  plan  to  go  there  and  came  back  to  hotel.  After  having  lunch  we  started  our  journey  back  to  Kolkata.  
 On  the  way  back,  we  found  Marselia  Sp.  growing  like  weeds  in  the  almost  dried  up  swamps  beside  the  road.  we  stopped  to  take  a  look  at  them  and  Mithun  collected  some  for  his  tank.

While  coming  to  Bakkhali,  we  spotted  lots  of  Laterite  and  laterite  rocks  dumped  at  road  side.  On  Abhis  request,  Amitava  stopped  for  some  minutes  and  we  collected  a  few  rocks.  

Amitava’s  car  was  looking  like  a  dirty  warehouse,  full  of  sand,  mud,  Woods  and  rocks.  We  were  getting  late  and  started  again.

At  8PM  evening  finally  we  reached  Kolkata  with  lots  of  memories.

All  credits  goes  to   Amitava,  Abhis  and  Mithun  for  arranging  the  trip.  Thank  You  guys.
shameek
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:46 am Post subject: Re: A Trip To Mangrove :: Jammu Island UPDATED Reply with quote

Nice  narration  tirtha  da,  excellent  trip  Thumb Up
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: