220. Guest
221. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,826

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aviral
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:18 am Post subject: Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish. Reply with quote

Hi!

I  am  a  newbie  for  fish  keeping.  I  have  bought  the  fish  in  accordance  to  the  Feng-Shui  suggestions,  i.e.  8  Gold  and  1  Black.  I  want  to  clear  a  few  queries  like:

(1)  What  if  we  feed  the  fish  frequently  during  the  day  (4  to  5  times  spirulina  balls  and  1  time  freeze  worms),  but  in  the  quantity  that  all  of  the  spirulina  balls  are  eaten  up  within  a  min  or  2.  And  what  should  be  the  suggested  frequency  and  quantity  if  the  balls  are  of  2  mm  diameter  while  the  fish  are  2  inch  long?

(2)  How  to  identify  the  illness  of  these  fishes?

(3)  Do  they  breed?  If  yes  how  to  identify  Male  and  Female  fish  and  what  should  be  the  aquarium  setup  for  supporting  breeding?

(4)What  should  be  the  lightening  conditions?

(5)  What  should  be  the  water  temperature?

(6)  Any  specific  suggestions  for  Gold  and  Black  fish.

I  hope,  I  am  not  breaking  the  community  rules  and  my  Questions  are  appropriate.

Regards,
 Aviral  Mediratta
submerge
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:23 am Post subject: Re: Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish. Reply with quote

Before  answering  any  of  your  questions  we  would  need  to  know

What  is  the  size  and  capacity  of  your  tank?

What  type  of  filteration  do  you  use?
Aviral
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:27 am Post subject: Re: Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish. Reply with quote

Thanks  for  quick  reply.

Size  is  approx  18x10x15  (lxdxh).  Are  you  talking  about  the  air  filter?
Aviral
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:27 am Post subject: Re: Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish. Reply with quote

The  size  values  are  in  inch.
Yogesh

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:32 am Post subject: Re: Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish. Reply with quote

Hello  Aviral

Briefly  introduce  yourself  in  our  'Self  Introduction'  thread  under  'New  Members  &  Beginners'  forum.
 Welcome  to  IAH  &  enjoy  your  stay  here!!!  Smile
submerge
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:39 am Post subject: Re: Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish. Reply with quote

Aviral,
                   The  diamensions  means  that  you  have  a  10  Gallon  or  40litre  aquarium.  This  is  suitable  at  the  maximum  for  one  pair  of  goldfish.  

Air  filter?  I  was  talking  about  water  filteration,  What  you  have  would  be  a  powehead  or  top  filter.  Is  this  a  custom  made  aquarium  or  one  of  those  'imported'  sets.

Update  the  location  in  your  profile,  you  will  have  to  read  a  lot  and  talk  to  hobbyist  in  your  area,  your  current  setup  is  not  good  enough  to  hold  that  many  fishes.  Sorry.

The  situtation  can  be  remedied  if  you  are  willing  to  make  changes.
Aviral
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:49 am Post subject: Re: Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish. Reply with quote

The  capacity  of  tank  is  around  55  Ltrs.  I  agree  that  the  tank  is  small,  but  I  had  selected  this  one  as  I  am  planning  to  opt  for  a  custom  made  tank  once  I  am  accomplished  with  the  steps  of  good  fish  keeping.  This  setup  is  for  approx  2  to  3  months  thats  it.   There  is  no  water  filter  as  the  tank  is  of  local  made  standards.  

Regards,
 Aviral  Mediratta
Aviral
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:51 am Post subject: Re: Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish. Reply with quote

The  size  of  Gold  fish  is  around  2  inch  length,  1  to  1.2  inch  height  and  .5  to  .7  inch  broad.
submerge
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:11 pm Post subject: Re: Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish. Reply with quote

Aviral,
                  You  may  not  realise  it  but  you  have  walked  into  a  place  with  "Kick  Me"  written  on  the  back.
 Search  this  forum  for  "Feng  Shui"  and  you  will  get  the  context.

P.S:  we  do  not  have  anything  against  the  principles  of  feng  shui  but  the  way  its  being  abused  by  the  LFS  to  sell  fish.
Yogesh

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:29 pm Post subject: Re: Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish. Reply with quote

Aviral  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi!

I  am  a  newbie  for  fish  keeping.  I  have  bought  the  fish  in  accordance  to  the  Feng-Shui  suggestions,  i.e.  8  Gold  and  1  Black.  I  want  to  clear  a  few  queries  like:

(1)  What  if  we  feed  the  fish  frequently  during  the  day  (4  to  5  times  spirulina  balls  and  1  time  freeze  worms),  but  in  the  quantity  that  all  of  the  spirulina  balls  are  eaten  up  within  a  min  or  2.  And  what  should  be  the  suggested  frequency  and  quantity  if  the  balls  are  of  2  mm  diameter  while  the  fish  are  2  inch  long?

(2)  How  to  identify  the  illness  of  these  fishes?

(3)  Do  they  breed?  If  yes  how  to  identify  Male  and  Female  fish  and  what  should  be  the  aquarium  setup  for  supporting  breeding?

(4)What  should  be  the  lightening  conditions?

(5)  What  should  be  the  water  temperature?

(6)  Any  specific  suggestions  for  Gold  and  Black  fish.

I  hope,  I  am  not  breaking  the  community  rules  and  my  Questions  are  appropriate.

Regards,
 Aviral  Mediratta                

Hi  Aviral,

Let  the  Feng-Shui  be  just  an  excuse  to  join  the  hobby.  Fish  care  is  something  to  think  ahead  now.

1)  Goldfish  are  massive  eaters  but  should  be  fed  in  controlled  manner.  Everytime  you  offer  them  a  food,  they  will  happily  gobble  it  &  discard  them  as  poop  hanging  underneath  them.  Go  for  some  quality  pellets  food  like  Hikari,  which  would  be  beneficial  for  their  healthy  growth.

2)  Goldfishes  are  more  prone  to  diseases  like  bacterial  infection,  dropsy,  finrot,  whitespots  etc.  so  you  will  need  to  maintain  top  water  condition  to  house  them  and  need  to  keep  frequent  watch  on  their  body  and  unusual  behaviour.

3)  Yes,  they  will  breed  if  you  are  lucky  to  get  the  pair  out  of  your  lot.  Complex  process  and  you  can  think  about  it  later,  priority  now  is  to  successfully  keep  them  first.

4)  Any  fluorescent  tubelight  will  do,  would  suggest  pink  colour  for  their  good  coloration.

5)  Goldies  prefer  cool  temperature  anything  between  20-26  dgrees  should  be  fine  for  them.

6)  Since  you  have  9  of  them,  you  will  need  to  get  bigger  tank  for  them  soon  as  they  grow  up  prefreable  3  or  4  footer.  Go  for  power  filtration  like  Eheim  2217  for  better  water  quality.  IMO  bare-bottom  tanks  are  really  good  for  goldies  for  the  ease  of  cleaning  as  they  are  poop-machines.  Weekly  40-50%  water  change  should  be  fine.
Aviral
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:29 pm Post subject: Re: Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish. Reply with quote

Thanks  for  your  valued  suggestions.

Regards,
 Aviral  Mediratta
LongShanks
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:51 pm Post subject: Re: Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish. Reply with quote

Hi  Aviral,

Welcome  to  world  of  goldies.  They  are  good  fish  to  start  with..  not  aggressive,  happy  and  active  fish.  From  my  experience  with  goldies,  I  am  advicing  these

(1)  Your  tank  size  is  small.  Since  you  claim  to  move  them  to  a  bigger  tank,  I  would  not  suggest  you  to  feed  them  often  in  a  day,  twice  is  more  than  enough.  Just  measure  2  -  3  pellets  per  fish,  pre-soak  the  pellets  for  5  minutes  and  feed  them.  Fish  dont  die  due  to  lack  of  food,  they  die  of  bad  water  quality  due  to  overfeeding.

(2)  Check  out  this  link.  Close  observation  and  gaining  experience  will  do  the  trick.

(3)  Its  very  tough  to  breed  goldfish..  Even  if  they  lay  any  eggs,  they  will  eat  it  themselves..  

(4)  Lighting  is  not  a  must.  bcos  you  mostly  wont  have  a  planted  tank  with  goldies.  They  pull  out  all  the  plants.  So  dont  bother  buying  a  heavy  watts  light  and  burn  your  pocket  with  your  electricity  bill.  Go  for  some  10  -  20  W  lighting.  Remember  to  switch  the  lights  off  in  the  night  for  them  to  sleep  or  get  a  timer..  

(5)  Goldfish  are  cold  water  fish,  they  can  live  very  well  on  cold  temperatures,  even  upto  18  C..  If  you  are  in  India  in  normal  tropical  cities,  you  dont  need  to  bother  have  a  heater..

(6)  By  Black  fish,  I  assume  you  have  got  Black  Moor.  They  are  beautiful  fish  however  due  to  their  eye  location,  they  cant  resolve  3D  so  they  cant  find  food  easily.  So  when  feeding,  see  if  you  kinda  spoon  feed  them  separately  :-)  The  remaining  goldies,  well  there  are  a  lot  of  sub  breeds  in  goldfish  -  comets,  common,  shubunkin,  ryukin,  fantail,  Moors,  orandas,  pearlscale,  etc.  So  first  identify  them  and  search  on  the  net  about  any  extra  care  for  them.  Most  of  the  basic  goldies  like  comet,  common,  shubunkin,  fantail  need  not  require  any  special  treatment.  The  other  extreme  fancy  types  need  some  extra  care..

All  the  best  with  your  goldies..  :)

Thanks
 Sankar
Aviral
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:30 pm Post subject: Re: Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish. Reply with quote

Thanks  Sankar  for  the  valuable  information.  I  have  gone  through  the  link  suggested  by  you.  The  gold  fish  that  I  have  are  similar  to  that  shown  on  the  site.  The  one  on  the  top  banner  on  right  corner.  I  feed  them  Spirulina  balls  (of  1  to  1.5  mm  each)  and  freeze  dried  worms.  At  present  I  feed  the  2  times  Spirulina  and  1  time  worms.  THey  consume  around  5  to  6  balls  at  a  time,  while  3  to  4  worms  of  2  mm  thich  and  6  to  8  mm  long.  How  much  should  I  feed  other  than  this.  And  What  are  the  exact  problems  that  are  directly  linked  with  over  feeding  (other  than  those  occurring  due  to  contaminated  water)

Regards,
 Aviral  Mediratta
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:38 pm Post subject: Re: Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish. Reply with quote

but  do  you  think  that  this  will  make  a  difference  from  feng  shui  point  of  view?  I  too  believe  in  feng  shui...but  I  didnt  buy  goldies  because  of  feng  shui  Smile  ,  I  am  not  trying  to  offend  your  beliefs  or  the  advise  you  got  from  the  feng  shui  master...  but  would  you  have  got  into  this  hobby  without  feng  shui?
LongShanks
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:28 pm Post subject: Re: Guidance required for healthy Gold and Black fish. Reply with quote

Hi  Aviral,

I  think  you  are  overfeeding  them  for  your  tank  size..  otherwise  the  feeding  amount  is  fine..  These  are  the  problems  with  overfeeding  within  your  context

1.)  Faster  Growth:  Feeding  the  fish  often  with  more  food  will  increase  their  growth  rate,  which  you  dont  want  to  happen  in  your  small  tank.  Goldfish  can  grow  huge  rapidly  and  you  will  have  more  problems  not  only  due  to  the  water  contamination,  but  also  on  the  oxygen  side.  Big  fish  deplete  the  oxygen  faster..  So  you  can  reduce  the  amount  to  2  -  3  pellets  per  fish  and  feed  them  only  2  times  max  per  day  until  you  move  the  fish  to  your  final  tank,  which  I  suggest  should  be  atleast  a  100  ltr  tank  with  a  400  L/hr  power  filter.  

2.)  Swim  bladder  problem:  Overfeeding  goldies  is  one  of  the  reasons  for  swim  bladder  problem,  which  if  it  not  taken  care  of,  will  result  in  swim  bladder  damage..  You  might  find  your  fish  uncontrollably  floating  on  the  top  of  the  water  instead  of  swimming  or  diving  in..

I  suggest  this  diet  for  your  fish

Morning  -  flake  food  (  Qty:  fish  should  complete  eating  them  with  5  mins  )
      Evening  -  pre  soaked  pellets  (  Qty:  2-3  pellets  per  fish  )
      Tuesday,  Thursday  and  Saturday  mornings:  Worms  instead  of  flakes  (  Qty:  2  worms  per  fish..)  Remember  worms  have  more  protein  content  which  can  contaminate  water  easily  and  also  make  the  fish  grow  faster..  so  dont  feed  them  often..

Soon  you  will  find  that  the  maximum  amount  for  feeding  the  fish  is  not  dependent  on  the  number  of  fish,  instead  its  the  shitload  your  aquarium  can  take..  Smile  Have  fun!

Thanks
 Sankar
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: