22. Guest
23. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,405

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference...
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Native Indian Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joyban

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:58 am Post subject: Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference... Reply with quote

Lot  of  times  hobbyist  have  problem  identifying  Puntius  denisoni  and  Puntius  chalakkudyensis,  here  is  a  pictorial  difference...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mickthefish
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:44 pm Post subject: Re: Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference. Reply with quote

Joyban  both  those  fish  are  denisoni  mate,  the  chala  is  different  again  in  it's  shape  position  of  the  mouth  and  the  solid  black  marking  in  the  dorsal  fin.

mick
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:00 pm Post subject: Re: Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference. Reply with quote

mickthefish  wrote  (View  Post):                
Joyban  both  those  fish  are  denisoni  mate,  the  chala  is  different  again  in  it's  shape  position  of  the  mouth  and  the  solid  black  marking  in  the  dorsal  fin.

mick                

I  second  that.  Dark  blotch  on  the  dorsal  is  a  distinct  difference.  Ofcourse  they  are  supposed  to  grow  much  larger  than  denisonii.

BTW  its  spelt  Puntius  chalakudiensis.

I  would  put  my  neck  out  and  say  this  pic  shows  the  difference  between  a  normal  denisonii  and  a  stressed  one.
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:12 pm Post subject: Re: Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference. Reply with quote

Two  k's.  chalakkudiensis.

Pic
Lawrenze
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:21 pm Post subject: Re: Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference. Reply with quote

I  was  hoping  someone  would  start  a  topic  on  this  Smile  can  someone  post  a  picture  of  the  P.chalakkudiensis  please...
 Rgds
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:23 pm Post subject: Re: Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference. Reply with quote

Click  'pic'  in  Rahuls  post
Lawrenze
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:15 pm Post subject: Re: Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference. Reply with quote

Thanks  for  pointing  it  out,  Beta...growing  old  I  guess  Chuckle  Think  I've  seen  them  with  Jeyaseelan  in  my  native...pretty  big  ones  but  far  less  colorful  than  PDs
 Rgds
HeikoBleher
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:50 am Post subject: Re: Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference. Reply with quote

Hi,

this  is  Heiko  Bleher  and  I  find  it  very  interesting  the  thread.  There  are  still  some  people  which  do  not  undertsnd  the  difference  between  the  two  similar  species  (and  other  who  do  not  want  to  see  it...).

Those  2  pictures  sghown  here  are  correctly  identified  and  the  lower  is  P.  chalakkudiensis  and  the  upper  P.  denisonii.

It  is  quite  easy  (and  possible  to  see  well  on  those  two  photos):
 1.  P.  denisonii  is  always  bright  red  (the  stripe  and  around  mouth)  vs.  chalakkudiensis  hardly  ever  bright  red  striped  -  as  seen  here.
 2.  P.  denisonii  has  a  bright  red  dorsal  fin  WITHOUT  black  in  it  vs  chalakkudiensis  has  a  black  mark  (not  really  a  spot)  in  the  dorsal  fin,  which  is  mostly  in  the  former  rays  and  upper  part  of  the  dorsal  fin,  and  the  same  has  hardly  reddisch  colours  (as  seen  here  in  the  lower  pictures).
 3.  P.  chlakkudiensis  is  always  more  blend  and  tail  colours  are  different  from  the  P.  denisonii,  and  bigger  (the  tail),  as  seen  here.
 4.  And  as  mentioned  here  already,  P.  chalakkudiensis  grows  much  larger  than  P.  denisonii  and  the  former  is  ONLY  found  in  the  Chalakkudy  river.

Best  regards  from  a  collector,

Heiko  Bleher
 www.aquapress-bleher.com
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:56 am Post subject: Re: Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference. Reply with quote

I  really  doubt,  apart  from  the  Black  blotch  and  size  of  fish,  if  anything  else  is  written  in  the  Key  to  the  species'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:22 am Post subject: Re: Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference. Reply with quote

If  our  experts  are  getting  confused,  God  save  novices  like  me.   Help
HeikoBleher
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:38 am Post subject: Re: Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference. Reply with quote

Hi,

I  will  not  comment  on  this  issue  anymore,  if  anyone  has  his  doubt  than  it  may  be  so  for  his  own  sake.  For  the  scientific  community  and  its  description  these  are  the  two  species,  as  shown  here  and  what  I  mentioned  are  the  characters  which  are  visible  and  for  any  layman  to  destinguish  the  two  visually  (there  are  many  more  but  those  only  under  the  microscope.

You  all  have  a  good  day.

Heiko  Bleher
 www.aquapress-bleher.com

PS:  It  can  also  be  seen  on  my  website
udhay
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:21 pm Post subject: Re: Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference. Reply with quote

Hi  friends  
                  The  punties  denisoni  chalakkudyensis  and  the  punties  denisoni  which  are  from  the  river  Baratha  puzha  both  are  same  but  the  red  line  over  the  eye  is  brighter  than  the  punties  denisoni  chalakkudyensis  
                     these  punties  denisoni  chalakkudyensis  is  from  the  river  chalakkudy,  thrissur,the  colorfull  redline  punties  denisoni  is  in  irrity  thrissur  in  kerala.

Reg:  Udhay
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:38 pm Post subject: Re: Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference. Reply with quote

udhay  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  friends  
                  The  punties  denisoni  chalakkudyensis  and  the  punties  denisoni  which  are  from  the  river  Baratha  puzha  both  are  same  but  the  red  line  over  the  eye  is  brighter  than  the  punties  denisoni  chalakkudyensis  
                     these  punties  denisoni  chalakkudyensis  is  from  the  river  chalakkudy,  thrissur,the  colorfull  redline  punties  denisoni  is  in  irrity  thrissur  in  kerala.

Reg:  Udhay                

There  is  no  fish  called  Puntius  denisonii  chalakkudiensis.   I  hope  you  know  the  meaning  of  it  when  it  is  written  in  such  form.   It  means  the  later  is  a  sub-species  of  the  former.   denisonii  and  chalakkudiensis  are  two  different  species.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mickthefish
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:22 pm Post subject: Re: Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference. Reply with quote

i'm  afraid  i  still  have  to  dissagree  with  Heiko  on  the  two  pics,  having  seen  the  chala  and  plenty  of  denisoni  i  can  tell  which  species  is  in  the  tank  at  a  distance.

mick
HeikoBleher
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:16 am Post subject: Re: Puntius denisoni and Puntius chalakkudyensis difference. Reply with quote

Hi  Mr  Mickthefish,,

have  you  been  to  the  Chalakkudy  river  and  collected  the  endemic  Puntius  there?  I  would  like  to  know.  As  I  was  there  3  times  and  also  in  all  the  other  known  habitats  of  P.  denisonii.  If  you  have  done  this  as  well  and  seen  the  fish  in  the  wild  and  taken  it  to  aquaria  (from  the  type  locality)  and  studied  it  from  those  type  locality,  than  I  am  willing  to  argue  with  you  further  in  the  UK,  otherwise  do  not  waste  your,  nor  any  one  elses,  time.

Heiko  Bleher
 www.aquapress-beleher.com
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Native Indian Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: