82. Guest
83. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,824

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - New Delhi!!!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

New Delhi!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
black_oranda
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:02 pm Post subject: New Delhi!!! Reply with quote

Hi  all,

Does  anyone  have  any  idea  about  rock  and  driftwood  collection  spots  in  and  around  New  Delhi???

I  doubt  if  there  are  any!!!  Sad  

Thanks,

Gyandeep
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:46 pm Post subject: Re: New Delhi!!! Reply with quote

The  only  thing  can  be  collected  from  or  around  Delhi  is  Rocks  and  Driftwoods  only.   Smile  We  don't  have  natural  water  bodies  nearby,  but  we  have  lots  and  lots  of  Rocks  and  woods.  

Go  for  a  drive  on  Gurgaon-Faridabad  connector  (pahari  wala  rasta)  and  return  with  a  truck  load  rock  and  wood  within  1-2  hr.   Thumb Up  

If  you  are  free  this  weekend,  give  me  a  buzz.  I  can  join  you.  

BTW,  are  you  from  Delhi  or  Gurgaon  or  from  Noida????  Update  location  in  profile  please.
black_oranda
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:19 pm Post subject: Re: New Delhi!!! Reply with quote

Hey  Tirtha,

Sounds  good  to  me..Will  PM  you  tomorrow!!  We  may  have  one  more  IAH  member  join  in...Abhi27!!!

I  was  going  through  your  Kolkotta  trip  forum  yesterday  night!!

Dont  you  sometimes  wish  you  were  based  in  Bangalore  or  anywhere  down  south!!  Seeing  them  go  on  these  trips,  reading  their  posts!!

I  am  not  a  marine  scientist  or  something  and  when  it  comes  to  scientific  names  I  am  NIL...I  may  just  recognise  E.Canarensis...  cause  it  seems  to  be  mentioned  almost  in  every  fish  collection  forum!!   ROFL  

Anyways,

Will  PM  you  at  the  earliest.

Gyandeep
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:46 pm Post subject: Re: New Delhi!!! Reply with quote

If  u  realy  want  to  collect  rocks,  driftwood,  go  to  Rishikesh.  There  are  lot  of  natural  water  bodies  to  collect  woods.  Rishikesh  is  about  200km  from  Delhi.  You  can  also  go  Narender  Nagar(20  Km  from  Rishikesh),  Kunjapuri  (30  Km  from  Rishikesh),  Phakot  (40  Km  from  Rishikesh).  Nanda  Devi  National  Park  also  situated  near  Kunjapuri.  That  is  a  beatiful  place  and  can  enjoy  every  mood  of  nature.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:57 pm Post subject: Re: New Delhi!!! Reply with quote

black_oranda  wrote  (View  Post):                
Dont  you  sometimes  wish  you  were  based  in  Bangalore  or  anywhere  down  south!!  Seeing  them  go  on  these  trips,  reading  their  posts!!

Relocating  to  South  is  always  not  possible.  But  it's  very  much  possible  to  learn  the  good  from  them.  They  always  have  the  enthusiasm  and  interest  to  explore  the  native  water  bodies,  learn  about  native  biotope  as  well  as  the  native  fishes.

India  is  full  of  rivers  and  water  bodies  (I  am  not  talking  about  this  god  forbidden  place  called  'Gurgaon').  So  if  a  group  of  hobbyists  are  enthusiastic  enough,  they  can  raid  for  the  naives  anywhere  and  can  learn  a  lot.   Thumb Up  Enthusiasm  and  Interest   are  the  driving  factor,  not  the  place  actually.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:00 pm Post subject: Re: New Delhi!!! Reply with quote

Scorpio  wrote  (View  Post):                
If  u  realy  want  to  collect  rocks,  driftwood,  go  to  Rishikesh.  There  are  lot  of  natural  water  bodies  to  collect  woods.  Rishikesh  is  about  200km  from  Delhi.  You  can  also  go  Narender  Nagar(20  Km  from  Rishikesh),  Kunjapuri  (30  Km  from  Rishikesh),  Phakot  (40  Km  from  Rishikesh).  Nanda  Devi  National  Park  also  situated  near  Kunjapuri.  That  is  a  beatiful  place  and  can  enjoy  every  mood  of  nature.                

200KM  for  Rocks  and  Drift  wood   ROFL  Rajiv,  20km  will  be  more  than  enough.
black_oranda
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:37 pm Post subject: Re: New Delhi!!! Reply with quote

ROFL   ROFL   ROFL   ROFL   ROFL
Abhi27
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:50 pm Post subject: Re: New Delhi!!! Reply with quote

Hi  All,

I  am  in.  As  a  matter  of  fact  i  picked  up  some  awesome  rocks  this  sunday   from  stone  sellers  who  sell  there  stuff  as  "Khangar  and  Bajri  "on  MG  road.  They  have  some  round  river  rocks  ,slates,thin  gravel  etc  at  dirt  cheap  prices.  As  a  matter  of  fact  while  driving  down  in  the  night  on  MG  road  you  can  pick  it  up  from  there  since  no  one  is  around!!!  (Pity  they  have  closed  MG  road  for  40  days  from  12  am  till  6  am)  Just  make  sure  you  dont  get  caught   Very Happy  .

A  friend  of  mine  who  works  as  a  Animal  warden  told  me  wazirabad  bridge  or  Noida  Toll  plaza   is  a  good  part  of  yamuna  to  collect  plants  etc.  Dont  know  much  about  it  though.

Yes  T2chatto  india  is  diverse  in  its  flora  and  Fauna.  My  wife  works  with  a  wildlife  conservation  organization  so  keep  getting  to  know  a  lot  about  this.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:54 pm Post subject: Re: New Delhi!!! Reply with quote

Abhi27  wrote  (View  Post):                

Yes  T2chatto  india  is  diverse  in  its  flora  and  Fauna.  My  wife  works  with  a  wildlife  conservation  organization  so  keep  getting  to  know  a  lot  about  this.                

My  name  is  right  there  in  my  signature.  Will  be  really  happy  if  you  please  call  me  Tirtha.   :thumb:

I  am  in.  As  a  matter  of  fact  i  picked  up  some  awesome  rocks  this  sunday   from  stone  sellers  who  sell  there  stuff  as  "Khangar  and  Bajri  "on  MG  road.  .                

Khangar  is  not  a  stone  but  slug  full  of  metal  discharge.  Don't  use  them  in  your  fish  tank.
Abhi27
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:16 pm Post subject: Re: New Delhi!!! Reply with quote

Sorry  about  that  Tirtha  

Ya  ya  will  never  use  khangar  and  badarpur  in  my  fish  tank  l  ROFL  

What  i  meant  was  these  guys  sit  with  that  board  placed  out  of  the  shop  but  you  can  get  other  stuff  which  can  be  useful  for  the  aquarium.  On  one  of  these  shops  a  guy  was  selling  roots  of  trees  as  show  pieces  which  if  treated  properly  can  become  awesome  looking  driftwoods.
black_oranda
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:27 pm Post subject: Re: New Delhi!!! Reply with quote

Hi  All,

As  a  matter  of  fact  while  driving  down  in  the  night  on  MG  road  you  can  pick  it  up  from  there  since  no  one  is  around!!!  (Pity  they  have  closed  MG  road  for  40  days  from  12  am  till  6  am)  Just  make  sure  you  dont  get  caught   Very Happy  .

ROFL   ROFL   ROFL
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:42 pm Post subject: Re: New Delhi!!! Reply with quote

Khangar  and  badarpur  is  actually  iron  slag  and  other  metal  slags.  Badarpur  also  has  a  lot  of  waste  that  is  generated  from  the  NTPC  plant  there.

MG  road  shops  selling  roots,  just  becarefull  and  select  your  peice.  A  lot  of  these  are  sold  as  home  decor  and  may  have  been  treated  with  external  chemicals  to  protect  from  termites  or  to  get  a  shine  on  them.  So  ensure  you  confirm  and  doubble  confirm  if  they  are  untreated.  Any  hesitation  shown  by  the  shopkeeper  remember  to  stop.

Cheers
 Nirav  Shah
 Indiapetstore.com
Asha
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:51 pm Post subject: Re: New Delhi!!! Reply with quote

Oh.  I  just  went  and  got  some  driftwood  from  this  shop  in  Sarojininagar  Market.  It  cost  me  Rs.  100  but  it's  cute  and  looks  well  treated  in  that  it  was  weathered  and  untreated  by  chemicals.
 I  am  just  a  bit  irritated  with  the  lack  of  variety  of  fish  here.  The  other  day  one  shop  in  Lajpatnagar  wanted  to  charge  me  Rs.  500  for  a  pair  of  clown  loach  which  is  highway  robbery.  They  are  very  good  in  ridding  your  tank  of  snails,  which  I  hate.
 Is  there  any  plant  collection  drive  you  guys  go  on?  I  always  thought  the  Jamuna  and  Ganga  were  full  of  aquatic  plants.  But  very  dissapointed  that  we  don't  have  any  here.
 Ashok
Abhi27
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:10 pm Post subject: Re: New Delhi!!! Reply with quote

Hi  Ashok,
 I  would  seriously  think  of  treating  that  wood  once  again  if  i  was  you.  
 dont  know  what  you  might  end  up  finding  in  Yamuna  in  delhi  becuase  its  nowhere  close  to  a  river  anymore.  The  only  greenspots  which  i  see  at  times  are  passing  over  the  Noida  toll  bridge.  
 The  sarojini  nagar  shop  i  presonally  think  is  a  little  overpriced.  You  can  try  gaurav  shukla  at  childrens  park.  Last  time  i  went  there  he  had  a  good  collection  of  plants,  rocks  and  driftwood.  Fish  aquarium  home  in  laxmi  nagar  is  also  a  good  option  for  buying  stuff.  You  can  get  in  touch  with  user  nash81  here.He  can  guide  you  with  things
coolbin81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:59 pm Post subject: Re: New Delhi!!! Reply with quote

Asha  wrote  (View  Post):                
 The  other  day  one  shop  in  Lajpatnagar  wanted  to  charge  me  Rs.  500  for  a  pair  of  clown  loach  which  is  highway  robbery.                  

You  think  this  is  pricey?!  Wait  till  you  know  about  how  much  they  are  charging  for  a  pair  of  1-2"  clown  loaches  these  days  in  Mumbai   ROFL  
 They  aren't  too  many  in  the  market  these  days  (in  Mumbai)  and  hence  the  cost   Thumb Down
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Chit Chat All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: