239. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,911

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - The Magic Bowl
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

The Magic Bowl
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:05 pm Post subject: Re: The Magic Bowl Reply with quote

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                
Dear  Garthoman
 Garden  soil  is  rich  in  carbon  content,  in  Diana  Walstad  type  tanks  it  provides  plants  it  source  of  carbon  and  not  oxygen.
 Lateraite  is  used  in  planted  tanks  to  provide  iron  to  plants  in  a  form  that  plants  can  easily  absorb.                

Thankyou  Bow
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:44 am Post subject: Re: The Magic Bowl Reply with quote

Hi  Garothmaan,

Please  say  these  lines  aloud  early  in  the  morning.

Asatho  Ma  Sath  Gramaya
 Tamaso  Ma  Jyothirgamaya
 Mrithyor  Ma  Mrithangamaya

It  will  help  you  learn  and  come  out  of  ignorance.

Regards
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:05 pm Post subject: Re: The Magic Bowl Reply with quote

cichlidlover  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Garothmaan,

Please  say  these  lines  aloud  early  in  the  morning.

Asatho  Ma  Sath  Gramaya
 Tamaso  Ma  Jyothirgamaya
 Mrithyor  Ma  Mrithangamaya

It  will  help  you  learn  and  come  out  of  ignorance.

Regards                

Thankyou  so  much,  god  bless  you...

what  does  that  mean?   Smile  please
saurabh_m
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:18 pm Post subject: Re: The Magic Bowl Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                

Thankyou  so  much,  god  bless  you...

what  does  that  mean?   Smile  please                

(Our  holy  father)
 Take  us  from     Untruth  to  Truth
 from   Darkness  to  Light
 from   Mortality  to  Eternity.

P.S.  This  is  translation  word  by  word,  for  actual  meaning  books  could  be  written  on  it.  
 In  short  words  you  might  think  this  life  of  ours  is  full  of  Falseness,  Darkness  (of  ignorance)  and  all  type  of  pains.   We  pray  to  our  holy  father  to  take  us  away  from  such  life  and  provide  us  sort  of    moksha    or  in  your  words  behest  garothmaan.

Last edited by saurabh_m on Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:21 pm Post subject: Re: The Magic Bowl Reply with quote

saurabh_m  wrote  (View  Post):                

(Our  holy  father)
 Take  us  from     Untruth  to  Truth
 from   Darkness  to  Light
 from   Mortality  to  Eternity.                

Thank  you  thank  you  :bow:

I  am  extremely  obliged..  this  will  always  be  in  aour  Bharatiya  Blood  "our  culture"  Very Happy  

thanks  again

Last edited by garothmaan on Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
saurabh_m
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:26 pm Post subject: Re: The Magic Bowl Reply with quote

@Garoth

Some  more  lines  have  been  appended.
Chinoy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:35 pm Post subject: Re: The Magic Bowl Reply with quote

Man  sorry  to  say  this  but  you  guys  are  a  bunch  of  cutlets.

Dude  why  do  you  walk  into  it  each  time.

Ps:  Nice  bowl.  The  fish  look  happy.
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:07 am Post subject: Re: The Magic Bowl Reply with quote

Hey  Garothmaan,

The  bowl  looks  great  !  Very  beautiful  !

Thanks  for  sharing  the  pics...

Regards  and  Care
 Kush
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:44 am Post subject: Re: The Magic Bowl Reply with quote

Hey  Garoth,

Just  wanted  to  make  a  suggestion  if  I  may,  I  think  it  will  be  better  if  you  can  remove  the  Apple  Snail  and  add  a  MTS  (Malaysian  Trumpet  Snail  -  http://www.planetinverts.com/malaysian_trumpet_snail3.jpg)  or  a  Zebra  Nerite  Snail  (  http://aquapetcenter.com/shopping/images/Nerite1.jpg)  instead.  I'm  saying  this  because  they're  much  smaller  than  the  Apple  Snail  and  look  more  or  atleast  equally  beautiful.

I  have  both  the  snails  and  I  can  send  you  the  same  if  you  want  them  for  the  bowl.

If  you  want  to  add  the  Zebra  one,  you'll  need  to  maintain  a  little  higher  pH  and  hardness  but  no  such  probs  with  the  MTS.  Both  are  very  efficient  scavengers  and  Algae  Eaters  (  MTS  is  a  better  scavenger  and  the  Zebra  is  a  great  algae  cleaner)

Please  let  me  know  if  you'd  like  to  have  them  and  I'll  courier  them  to  you.  Otherwise  your  bowl  looks  truly  awesome  !  Just  try  your  best  to  keep  the  population  in  check  by  removing  any  babies  that  the  livebearers  produce.  It  will  also  be  ok  to  keep  the  same  sexes  only  (preferably  males  as  they're  more  beautiful)  -  but  if  you  have  rescued  these  fish  or  if  you're  attached  to  them,  then  it  will  be  great  to  keep  them  in  this  beautiful  home  itself.

Anyways,  again  great  looking  bowl  and  looks  like  a  cute-little,  balanced  habitat  to  me.  Thanks  again  for  sharing  the  pics...

I  guess  your  fish  are  in  a  much-much  better  place  than  the  filthy-dirty-uncared  tanks  &  fish  bags  (in  which  the  Fighters  are  kept  for  days  and  months)  of  most  LFS's  and  Breeders  here   Thumb Up  I  really  apprecite  and  congratulate  you  for  that  (honestly)

Guys  if  you  all  REALLY-REALLY  do  care  for  the  fishes  and  dont  just  mean  to  rebuke  a  single  person,  and  if  you  really  want  to  make  a  change  -  then  please  focus  on  improving  the  conditions  is  such  shops  -  I  guess  it  will  benefit  a  huge  population  of  poorly  kept,  dieing  fish  rather  than  just  4  livebearers  in  a  bowl  (  just  IMHO  )  

Take  care  everyone  and  have  a  wonderful  week  ahead  !
 Keep  smiling  brothers  !
 Regards  and  Care  to  all,
 Kush

p.s

Hey  Garoth,

If  I  may  say  /  suggest  this  (please  dont  think  that  I'm  criticizing  you  -  just  trying  to  help)  the  Substrate  (laterite  or  anything  for  that  matter)  does  not  help  in  providing  Oxygen  to  the  Water  but  neither  do  the  Aeriators  do  it  directly  (like  someone  had  mentioned  in  a  post  of  his,  in  this  thread)  I'm  really  not  trying  to  say  that  what  you  know  is  wrong  but  maybe  someone  gave  you  a  wrong  information  or  maybe  you  misunderstood  what  you've  read  somewhere.  I  guess  it  happens  to  all  of  us  but  only  a  few  have  the  courage  to  accept  it  -  and  I  know  you  do  have  it.  Please  do  take  it  in  the  right  spirit,  Friend  :)

The  only  way  dissolved  oxygen  gets  added  to  the  water  is  thru  either  the  Actively  Photosynthezing  plants  (byproduct  of  photosynthesis)  or  by  the  surface  disturbance  of  the  water  (where  gaseous  exchange  takes  place  -  one  can  say  that  the  water  body  is  literally  breathing  from  there  -  by  'taking  in'  oxygen  and  giving  out  all  other  unwanted  gases)

Many  people  think  that  the  aeriators  /  airstones  are  directly  adding  'dissolved'  oxygen  to  the  water,  while  what  they're  really  doing  is  just  taking  the  bottom  layers  of  'low-oxygen'  containing  water  to  the  surface  (with  the  help  of  the  rising  bubbles)  where  gaseous  exchange  takes  place  as  I  mentioned  before.

For  aeriating  (providing  dissolved  oxygen)  to  your  bowl,  I  would  suggest  that  you  either  get  a  cheap  air-pump  and  connect  it  to  a  small,  in-expensive  airstone  (hide  it  effectively  behind  a  small  rock,  so  that  it  doesnt  spoil  the  naural  look  of  your  beautiful  bowl)  and  keep  the  flow  to  the  minimum  possible  (heavy  air-flow  thru  the  airstone  would  really  cause  too  much  water  turbulance  inside  a  bowl)  or  otherwise  if  you  have  a  very  small  fan,  you  can  set  it  up  such  that  it  blows  over  the  surface,  causing  a  mild  disturbance  of  the  water  surface...  Just  take  care  that  it  doesnt  lower  the  water  temps  too  much.   

I  really  hope  all  this  made  sense  and  that  you  will  kindly  take  it  in  the  right  spirit,  as  a  caring,  friendly  advice  rather  than  criticism...  I  really  dont  mean  to  show  or  express  that  I  know  it  all  (  actually  I  dont  )  -  I  guess  noone  is  born  with  knowledge,  we  just  learn  everyday  as  we  progress  thur  our  lives...  Take  care,  Friend  :)

Friends,  please  correct  me  if  I've  said  anything  wrong  or  untrue,  and  I  will  correct  myself  Smile
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:51 am Post subject: Re: The Magic Bowl Reply with quote

chinkz  wrote  (View  Post):                

Hey  Garoth,

If  I  may  say  /  suggest  this  (please  dont  think  that  I'm  criticizing  you  -  just  trying  to  help)  the  Substrate  (laterite  or  anything  for  that  matter)  does  not  help  in  providing  Oxygen  to  the  Water  but  neither  do  the  Aeriators  do  it  directly  (like  someone  had  mentioned  in  a  post  of  his,  in  this  thread)  I'm  really  not  trying  to  say  that  what  you  know  is  wrong  but  maybe  someone  gave  you  a  wrong  information  or  maybe  you  misunderstood  what  you've  read  somewhere.  I  guess  it  happens  to  all  of  us  but  only  a  few  have  the  courage  to  accept  it  -  and  I  know  you  do  have  it.                  

Maaan  we  all  learn  from  our  mistakes....  BUT  YOU  NEED  SOMEONE  TO  MAKE  MISTAKES  FOR  YOU...DONT  YOU?

Please  do  take  it  in  the  right  spirit,  Friend  :)

The  only  way  dissolved  oxygen  gets  added  to  the  water  is  thru  either  the  Actively  Photosynthezing  plants  (byproduct  of  photosynthesis)  or  by  the  surface  disturbance  of  the  water  (where  gaseous  exchange  takes  place  -  one  can  say  that  the  water  body  is  literally  breathing  from  there  -  by  'taking  in'  oxygen  and  giving  out  all  other  unwanted  gases)                

the  same  way  a  candle  burns...   Smile  

Many  people  think  that  the  aeriators  /  airstones  are  directly  adding  'dissolved'  oxygen  to  the  water,  while  what  they're  really  doing  is  just  taking  the  bottom  layers  of  'low-oxygen'  containing  water  to  the  surface  (with  the  help  of  the  rising  bubbles)  where  gaseous  exchange  takes  place  as  I  mentioned  before.                

Just  the  way  the  body  breathes...  Smile  

For  aeriating  (providing  dissolved  oxygen)  to  your  bowl,  I  would  suggest  that  you  either  get  a  cheap  air-pump  and  connect  it  to  a  small,  in-expensive  airstone  (hide  it  effectively  behind  a  small  rock,  so  that  it  doesnt  spoil  the  naural  look  of  your  beautiful  bowl)  and  keep  the  flow  to  the  minimum  possible  (heavy  air-flow  thru  the  airstone  would  really  cause  too  much  water  turbulance  inside  a  bowl)  or  otherwise  if  you  have  a  very  small  fan,  you  can  set  it  up  such  that  it  blows  over  the  surface,  causing  a  mild  disturbance  of  the  water  surface...  Just  take  care  that  it  doesnt  lower  the  water  temps  too  much.   

I  really  hope  all  this  made  sense  and  that  you  will  kindly  take  it  in  the  right  spirit,  as  a  caring,  friendly  advice  rather  than  criticism...  I  really  dont  mean  to  show  or  express  that  I  know  it  all  (  actually  I  dont  )  -  I  guess  noone  is  born  with  knowledge,  we  just  learn  everyday  as  we  progress  thur  our  lives...  Take  care,  Friend  :)

Friends,  please  correct  me  if  I've  said  anything  wrong  or  untrue,  and  I  will  correct  myself  Smile                

My  Wndow  breeze  does  that  ...  and  I  have  mentioned  it  on  this  post   Wink  

Where  were  you  all  these  days?  Very Happy
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:22 am Post subject: Re: The Magic Bowl Reply with quote

This  is  the  picture  of  a  bowl  with  1  week  of  no  water  change  

The  water  is  clean,  as  you  can  see  all  the  brown  thing  is  on  the  glass.

Top  view  of  the  contents  of  the  bowl...its  all  clean  though...

This  side  was  not  towards  sunlight,  its  a  bit  cleaner  than  the  first  1.
 [img][IMG]
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:30 am Post subject: Re: The Magic Bowl Reply with quote

After  cleaning  all  the  algae  with  scotchbrite  and  tooth  brush

The  snails  moved  out  to  greet  me.....  Surprised  ,  if  you  can  see...  plants  are  growing  too...but  leaves  are  crispy..

Refilling  the  water,  ofcourse  its  easy  Chuckle  using  the  watering  rose  is  the  perfect  tool  for  sober  raining...  Chuckle  
 [img][/img]
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:34 am Post subject: Re: The Magic Bowl Reply with quote

Freshly  filled  water...  VOILA...front  view...its  a  bit  hazy  in  the  begining,  but  will  settle  and  clear  after  3  hrs...  Very Happy  

Top  view,  its  quite  clean  and  no  sand  storm..  Thumb Up  

Coming  closer  to  see  the  fish  Very Happy  

garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:38 am Post subject: Re: The Magic Bowl Reply with quote

My  equipment  for  all  purpose  fish  keeping   Surprised  

toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:43 am Post subject: Re: The Magic Bowl Reply with quote

man  this  has  to  be  the  most  famous  bowl  on  iah  or  for  that  matter  any  fish  forum...it  has  6  pages  dedicated  to  it!!!!and  i  actually  went  through  all  6  of  them   Sad  
 Moderators  please...pull  the  plug!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: