163. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,716

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Arowana
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Arowana
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
livincorpse
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:51 pm Post subject: Arowana Reply with quote

I  intend  on  picking  up  an  Arowana  soon  as  i  have  made  some  room  for  a  potential  SiX  footer  in  one  of  my  terraces.  Can  someone  please  advice  where  i  could  pick  up  a  good  Silver  or  Possibly  pearl  Arowana  here  in  Bombay  as  i  dont  want  to  go  through  the  whole  long  drawn  process  of  importing  one.

Cheers,
 Nikhil
Yogesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:56 pm Post subject: Re: Arowana Reply with quote

You  don't  need  to  import  Silver  or  Pearl  as  they  are  commonly  available  with  LFS.

Aakar  (Kurla)  have  couple  of  good  looking  Pearls  when  we  visited  there  last  time.  But  price  was  a  bit  on  higher  side.
 I  guess  Nautilus  (Bandra)  have  lots  of  juvenile  Silver  Arowanas  at  the  moment.
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:02 pm Post subject: Re: Arowana Reply with quote

a  6  footer  is  not  enough  for  a  silver  

the  silver  will  outgrow  a  6x2x2  within  2  years  

go  for  an  asian  or  a  jardini  or  a  leichardti  not  a  silver  

and  be  careful  about  direct  sunlight  on  glass  tanks  in  open  environments
livincorpse
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:27 pm Post subject: Re: Arowana Reply with quote

yogoranda  wrote  (View  Post):                
You  don't  need  to  import  Silver  or  Pearl  as  they  are  commonly  available  with  LFS.

Aakar  (Kurla)  have  couple  of  good  looking  Pearls  when  we  visited  there  last  time.  But  price  was  a  bit  on  higher  side.
 I  guess  Nautilus  (Bandra)  have  lots  of  juvenile  Silver  Arowanas  at  the  moment.                

Aquaria(Bandra)  also  have  couple  of  silver  juvis  (  im  guessing  with  the  certifications  )  which  i  presume  are  reasonably  priced.   Can  you  please  pm  the  prices  to  me  so  i  have  a  rough  indicator  to  go  by  .  

Cheers,
 Nikhil
livincorpse
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:31 pm Post subject: Re: Arowana Reply with quote

headbanger_jib  wrote  (View  Post):                

and  be  careful  about  direct  sunlight  on  glass  tanks  in  open  environments                

Hi  Jib(  if  you  dont  mind  me  calling  you  dt),
 My  terraces  are  all  within  the  apartment  itself  and  hence  covered  so  no  chance  of  direct  sunlight  penetrating  through  as  I  already  have  one  six  footer  and  another  two  footer  in  the  upper  terrace.I  was  planning  on  an  eight  footer  but  then  i  wont  have  enough  space  for  another  six  footer(in  which  i  intend  to  stock  a  gar)  to  stand  side  by  side.  Although  come  to  think  of  it  I  could  line  it  up  vertically  rather  than  horizontally  Very Happy  haha
oscarmadness
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:50 pm Post subject: Re: Arowana Reply with quote

livincorpse  wrote  (View  Post):                

headbanger_jib  wrote  (View  Post):                

Although  come  to  think  of  it  I  could  line  it  up  vertically  rather  than  horizontally                  

6/8  feet  tank  lining  up  vertically  is  only  going  to  give  you  maintenance  trouble.  I  agree  with  Jib  here,  go  for  Jardini  or  Leichadarti...  although  Asians  are  costlier  than  this,  you  might  also  want  to  search  if  you  get  hold  of  a  green  aro...  greens  are  usually  cheaper  than  RTG  and  Reds..

Regards
 Subhankar
arvindshetty
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:51 pm Post subject: Re: Arowana Reply with quote

Also  I  don't  think  any  LFS  in  Mumbai  would  provide  you  a  certificate  for  a  silver  arowana.
 I  agree  with  Jib  that  a  silver  will  outgrow  your  tank  soon.
 Better  go  for  a  jardani.
livincorpse
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:26 pm Post subject: Re: Arowana Reply with quote

arvindshetty  wrote  (View  Post):                
Also  I  don't  think  any  LFS  in  Mumbai  would  provide  you  a  certificate  for  a  silver  arowana.
 I  agree  with  Jib  that  a  silver  will  outgrow  your  tank  soon.
 Better  go  for  a  jardani.                

I  beg  to  differ  on  the  certification  part.  I  know  of  a  local  LFS(in  Thane)  who  provides  certifications  for  all  his  Arowana's  albeit  at  a  premium.  Smile
Yogesh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:49 pm Post subject: Re: Arowana Reply with quote

I  beg  to  differ  on  the  certification  part.  I  know  of  a  local  LFS(in  Thane)  who  provides  certifications  for  all  his  Arowana's  albeit  at  a  premium.  Smile                

First  of  all,  try  to  understand  why  &  what  certificate  is  for.

Asian  arowanas  are  endangered  by  CITES  (Convention  on  International  Trade  in  Endangered  Species).  Hence,  all  captive  bred  asian  arowanas  are  microchip  tagged  which  bear  the  unique  code  number  which  is  printed  on  the  certificate.  When  this  fish  is  screened  by  tag  scanning  machine,  it  displays  its  Code  number.

Silver  and  Jardini  (Pearl)  arowana  originate  from  South  America  &  Australia  respectively  and  not  yet  been  classified  as  endangered  species  yet.  Hence,  they  are  commonly  available  everywhere  and  do  not  need  any  tagging,  thus  certificate.

The  LFS  who  is  providing  certificates  for  Silvers  &  Jardinis  has  to  be  bogus  as  these  strains  are  not  microchip  tagged.  Even  you  have  to  be  very  careful  with  some  LFS  who  proclaim  to  source  you  asian  aro  with  certificate  as  you  are  most  likely  to  be  done  by  them  with  fake  certificates.
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:16 pm Post subject: Re: Arowana Reply with quote

the  premium  has  to  be  given  if  the  fish  comes  without  a  cert  upon  the  condition  that  it  is  a  wild  caught
livincorpse
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:54 pm Post subject: Re: Arowana Reply with quote

yogoranda  wrote  (View  Post):                

First  of  all,  try  to  understand  why  &  what  certificate  is  for.

Asian  arowanas  are  endangered  by  CITES  (Convention  on  International  Trade  in  Endangered  Species).  Hence,  all  captive  bred  asian  arowanas  are  microchip  tagged  which  bear  the  unique  code  number  which  is  printed  on  the  certificate.  When  this  fish  is  screened  by  tag  scanning  machine,  it  displays  its  Code  number.

Silver  and  Jardini  (Pearl)  arowana  originate  from  South  America  &  Australia  respectively  and  not  yet  been  classified  as  endangered  species  yet.  Hence,  they  are  commonly  available  everywhere  and  do  not  need  any  tagging,  thus  certificate.

The  LFS  who  is  providing  certificates  for  Silvers  &  Jardinis  has  to  be  bogus  as  these  strains  are  not  microchip  tagged.  Even  you  have  to  be  very  careful  with  some  LFS  who  proclaim  to  source  you  asian  aro  with  certificate  as  you  are  most  likely  to  be  done  by  them  with  fake  certificates.                

This  sounds  really  noobish  but  I  have  to  ask  nevertheless  ;  How  do  u  tell  a  Silver  Arowana  from  an  Asian  one  because  they  look  practically  the  same.  I  am  quite  sure  my  local  LFS  said  his  Arowanas  are  microchipped  too.  So  yeah  is  there  an  indicator  to  go  by?
livincorpse
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:58 pm Post subject: Re: Arowana Reply with quote

Also  ,  would  you  vouch  for  the  Arowanas  they  sell  at  Crawford  ?  A  friend  happened  to  pass  by  the  place  today  and  he  told   me  that  Crawford  is  sprawling  with  Arowanas.  I  have  picked  up  my  RES  from  there  but  thats  about  it  as  the  whole  feel  of  the  place  is  quite  dodgy  to  be  honest.  So  can  some  one  please  advice  ?  They  are  very  very  cheap  too  ;  2-3  inc-hers  for  XXX
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:05 am Post subject: Re: Arowana Reply with quote

This  sounds  really  noobish  but  I  have  to  ask  nevertheless  ;  How  do  u  tell  a  Silver  Arowana  from  an  Asian  one  because  they  look  practically  the  same.  I  am  quite  sure  my  local  LFS  said  his  Arowanas  are  microchipped  too.  So  yeah  is  there  an  indicator  to  go  by?                

i  think  you  need  a  lot  more  research  to  be  done  before  you  buy  a  fish  such  as  an  arowana  and  kill  it  

the  asian  and  the  silver  are  the  easiest  to  distinguish.
 are  you  just  posing  random  questions  or  are  there  any  valid  queries,  based  on  some  research  done  by  you.
 as  the  silver  arowana  and  the  black  arowana  belong  to  the  osteoglossum  genus,  the  asian  and  the  australian  arowana  belong  to  the  sclaeropages  genus  and  the  african  arowana  belong  to  the  heterotis  genus.  there  is  no  way  an  asian  and  a  silver  can  be  confused  with.

2-3"  silver  arowana  juvies  are  going  to  require  a  little  special  care  till  they  reach  a  respectable  size  of  8"  or  so.
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:16 am Post subject: Re: Arowana Reply with quote

Also  ,  would  you  vouch  for  the  Arowanas  they  sell  at  Crawford  ?                  

how  can  a  hobbyist  vouch  for  a  fish  being  sold  at  some  lfs,  which  in  no  way  is  related  to  him
Yogesh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:45 am Post subject: Re: Arowana Reply with quote

Hi  Nikhil,

Keep  your  questions  coming  until  you  get  one.
 Don't  believe  what  your  LFS  keeper  says,  challenge  him  to  screen  tag  numbers  of  his  Silvers  &  Jardinis  to  prove  authenticity  of  so-called  microchip  tagged  to  these  cheap  arowanas.  Chuckle  

Silvers  can  easily  be  distinguished  from  others  from  their  longish  body  structure.  They  will  be  swimming  just  above  the  surface  all  the  time  kissing  water  level.  Quite  nasty  jumpers  but  unfortunately  most  of  them  end  up  with  drop-eye.  You  can  keep  it  in  your  6ft  tank  until  he  grows  about  2'  and  later  can  decide  to  upgrade  or  to  discard  the  guy  for  his  bigger  home.  Getting  a  8ft  tank  &  keeping  2"  arowana  inside  it  looks  funny  either.

I'd  suggest  you  to  get  Jardini  for  your  6ft  tank  as  you  can  keep  it  there  for  lifetime.  This  one  will  not  outgrow  your  tank,  Aakar  currently  have  one  beautiful  Jardini  with  that  'Mean  Killer  Look'  they  are  known  for.

Also  ,  would  you  vouch  for  the  Arowanas  they  sell  at  Crawford  ?  A  friend  happened  to  pass  by  the  place  today  and  he  told   me  that  Crawford  is  sprawling  with  Arowanas.  I  have  picked  up  my  RES  from  there  but  thats  about  it  as  the  whole  feel  of  the  place  is  quite  dodgy  to  be  honest.  So  can  some  one  please  advice  ?  They  are  very  very  cheap  too  ;  2-3  inc-hers  for  XXX                

To  pickup  Silver  you  don't  need  to  go  all  the  way  to  Crawford,  you  can  grab  one  from  your  nearest  store.  Just  ensure  fish  has  no  torn  finnage  or  missing  scales  on  its  body.  I  agree  Crawford  Mkt  is  too  ugly  place  to  visit.  Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: