62. Guest
63. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,881

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - propagation of aquatic plants
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

propagation of aquatic plants

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeeyejee
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:08 pm Post subject: propagation of aquatic plants Reply with quote

Ever  tried  to  propagate  aquatic  plants?
 I  spent  much  time  on  internet,  but  found  nothing  much  useful,  because,  many  of  my  favorite  aquarium  plants  are  actually  weeds  in  many  countries.  Things  they  have  to  discus  and  share  about  these  plants  are  related  to  how  to  eradicate  and  how  to  check  their  propagation  !      So  I  decided  to  try  it  in  my  own  ways,  and  found  some  interesting  facts  which  I  like  to  share.  Remember  I  am  in  a  trial  and  error  stage.
 Many  of  these  plants  can  be  grown  outdoors  much  better  than  in  indoor,  poorly  lit  leaf  nippers'  tanks.  Many  of  the  plants,  including  those  soft  stem  plants  like  cabombas,  myriophyllum,  and  mints  prefer  a  short  period  of  dry  medium,  and  heavy  sunlight.  Keeping  a  short  period  (1,  2  or  3days  )  outside  water,(in  25%  moisture  to  avoid  drying  out  totally)  even  triggers  their  further  growth  with  much  vigour.  New  buds  and  branches  appear  as  a  result,  when  put  again  in  water.  Earlier  leaves  may  have  dried  out  by  the  time,  but  new  fresh  leaves  appear  and  more  over,  new  plants  can  be  made  from  the  new  branches-  an  useful  tip  for  propagation.  I  use  cow  dung-  both  dried  and  fresh  as  manure,  nothing  else,  but  allows  plenty  of  sunlight.  It  really  works.
 Am  I  correct?    Can  anybody  help  me  with  similar  tips  on  more  plants  ?
 Any  other  way  to  grow  cabomba  (  not  that  type  of  growth  ;I  mean  real  outdoor  wild-commercial    growth)  
 I  hope  this  will  not  be  posted  under  commercial  postings
 ------------jeeyejee--------------
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:45 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

jeeyejee,
                             Many  aquarium  plants  are  bog  plants  in  nature  and  as  such,  can  and  do  grow  out  of  water  for  extended  periods  of  time.  Most  plant  farms  in  fact  cultivate  these  plants  out  of  water  under  high  humidity.  You  seem  to  have,  by  trial  and  error,  stumbled  on  this  method  of  plant  propagation.

While  we  wait  for  the  aqua-botanists  here  to  arrive,  perhaps  you  could  elaborate  on  your  method(s)...  Pictures/diagrams  are  always  appreciated.
elaine
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:17 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Jeeyejee,  
   Please  let  us  know  exactlywhat  you  do  so  we  can  give  it  a  try.  At  present  I  just  cut  the  tops  off  and  plant  them

Elaine
Ivan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:02 am Post subject: Boosting aquatic plants Reply with quote

When  I  first  pur  some  floating  plants,  they  did  well,  grew  in  size  &  multiplied.  But  gradually  they  dwindled  both  in  size  and  numbers.  In  order  to  keep  my  stock  ,    what  I  did  last  weekend  is  shift  most  of  them  outdoors  in  a  bowl  of  water  and  I  am  trying  to  keep  them  as  much  as  possible  indirect  sunlight  by  shifting  their  position.  So  far  no  change.
amitava
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:28 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi,

I  very  much  agree  with  Rahul.  All  the  farms  do  cultivate  their  plants  out  of  water  with  high  humidity  .  There  is  a  plus.  all  they  plants  will  get  least  algae  or  no  algae  at  all.  and  they  will  cut  short  on  electricity.  

But  I  have  kept  cabombas,  myriophyllums  in  my  tank  round  the  year  with  good  growth.  In  fact  I  had  to  cut  the  tops  almost  every  2  weeks.  

If  you  give  sufficient  nutrients  ,  CO2,  Light  ,  I  think  everyone  can  get  very  good  plant  growth.

regards
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:07 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

These  should  give  you  some  idea:

http://www.indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=46

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13873
jeeyejee
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:22 pm Post subject: bog plants? Reply with quote

Thanks  Rahul,Elaine  Ivan,and  others,  but  can  we  call  cabomba,  mints  and  miriophyllum  bog  plants?  I  got  the  idea  after  observing  a  nearby  natural  pond  after  staying  more  than  7  months  sun  dried,and  totally  vanished,  the  asian  hydrillas  (elodea  densa)  made  a  miraculous  come  back  during  monsoon.These  plants  may  had  some  rhizomes  buried  under  dry  mud  from  which  they  made  this.  but  my  tank  raised  plants  had  no  such  things,  they  were  not  even  mature  stems-  simple  bottom  and  middle  cuttings,  each  measuring  10  cms.And  for  Elaine,  what  I  did  was  simply  laid  these  plants  on  plastic  plates  ,mixed  with  C  dung  and  mud,(made  apaste  of  these),  allowed  to  dry  for  3  days,  keeping  about  25%  moisture.later  the  plates  were  placed  under  water,kept  under  sunlight,  to  see  the  result.
 ..........jeeyejee.........
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:30 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Cabomba  usually  grows  submerged,  but  myriophyllum  does  grow  emersed.

Perhaps  marginal  vegetation  is  a  better  descriptor  than  bog  plants  Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: