55. Guest
56. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,873

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - HELP
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - HELP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ishan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:09 pm Post subject: E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - HELP Reply with quote

I  have  a  planted  tank  of  size  2  X  1  X  1.

I  wanted  to  carpet  the  tank  with  E.Tenellus  micro  and  planted  them  5-6  weeks  back.  But  gradually  the  plants  lost  all  their  leaves,  post  yellowing.  I  planted  them  as  Suraj  (nature_lover)  suggested  i.e  the  crown  along  the  gravel  line  and  the  roots  below  gravel.  They  are  actually  planted  quite  densely  ,  about  0.5  cm  apart.  But  now  most  of  them  have  lost  all  their  leaves  .

But  the  problem  is  ,  I  dont  see  new  leaves  either.  Amazon  Sword  plants  are  also  turning  brown,  and  no  new  leaves  are  growing.  

I  am  giving  3WPG  of  T5  lighting  ,  DIY  CO2  ,  6  hour  photo  period  ,  and  temperature  is  26.5-27  degrees  C.  

My  substrate  system  is  Prodac  Humus  and  Laterite  as  base.  The  upper  part  is  plain  river  gravel,  total  substrate  depth  being  about  2.5-3  inch.

I  am  dosing  PMDD  solution,  for  micros  ,  I  use  Microsol  B  from  Vrdhaman  Fertilizers.

Is  there  a  problem  with  my  substrate  ,  as  no  plants  are  growing.  I  am  ready  to  change  it  and  do  anything  to  make  the  plants  grow  !

Please  help  me  ,  because  till  date  I  have  failure  in  growing  all  plants  -  although  I  am  providing  all  the  necessary  elements.   I  am  now  frustrated  like  nothing  !
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:33 pm Post subject: Re: E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - H Reply with quote

Hi  Ishan

You  have  mentioned  Micro  ferts  what  about  macros  like  potassium,  nitrates  etc.  Also  there  is  some  problems  now  with  Microsol  B,  from  what  I  have  heard  from  the  forum,  the  iron  content  is  far  lesser  than  it  use  to  be.  Let  me  know  about  the  Macro  dosing  lets  see  If  we  can  come  up  with  some  solution  for  you.
 Another  suspect  would  be  the  CO2,  the  dosing  will  be  Erratic  at  best  with  a  DIY  set  up  look  at  a  pressurized  system  seriously.
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:27 pm Post subject: Re: E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - H Reply with quote

If  your  laterite  has  turned  light  orange  or  pale  pink  to  almost  white,  it  possibly  has  lost  all  its  iron.   Changing  the  substrate  will  help.   Still,  I  have  a  low-tech  tank  with  quite  a  few  rosettes  running  for  more  than  3  yrs  without  a  laterite  change.   Laterite  that  is  deep  red  would  be  a  good  choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:28 pm Post subject: Re: E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - H Reply with quote

Just  curious  what  yeast  do  you  guys  use  for  DIY  CO2  ?
ishan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:50 pm Post subject: Re: E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - H Reply with quote

Harshal,  PMDD  includes  Macros  +  Micros.  I  am  dosing  KNO3  for  nitrate  ,  KH2PO4  for  phosphates  and  K3SO4  for  potassium,  mixed  using  Chuck  Gadd  calculator.I  hope  you  find  a  solution  for  me.

Nitrate  is  about  8  ppm.  I  dont  have  test  kits  for  potassium  or  phosphates.

Madhu  ,  my  laterite  ,  when  I  bought  was  pink  coloured  :  what  I  received  as  "laterite"  was  pink  coloured  grains  ,  a  little  deep  pink  I  guess.

Setup  is  3  months  old.

Please  help  ,  experts  !
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:06 pm Post subject: Re: E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - H Reply with quote

You  havent  mentioned  what  filtration  you  have.  Can  you  please  elaborate  on  that?

How  much  humus  and  how  much  laterite  have  you  used?
ishan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:14 pm Post subject: Re: E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - H Reply with quote

I  have  an  HOB  filter  and  I  keep  water  level  high  to  cut  down  surface  agitation.  Filter  flow  is  300  l/hr  and  has  a  mixture  of  bio  balls  ,  floss  etc

I  had  added  3  X  Packets  of  Humus  as  bottom  layer.  Then  2  "  laterite  mixed  with  gravel  (  I  forgot  the  proportion  ,  but  the  proportion  was  something  that  I  read  over  IAH  only  )  ,  and  then  a  final  layer  of  normal  river  gravel.

I  have  not  yet  added  any  live  stock.
ishan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:08 am Post subject: Re: E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - H Reply with quote

Anybody  ?
Scarlet
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:44 am Post subject: Re: E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - H Reply with quote

DIY  CO2  as  is  very  fluctuating  in  nature  and  unstable  
 and  considering  a  HOB  filter  ,  am  sure  there  is  very  little  CO2  rich  water  being  circulated  in  the  tank  for  the  plants  to  absorb

Kindly  read  more  on  IAH  and  you  will  find  out  that  HOB  and  DIY  co2  are  a  NO  NO
ishan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:26 pm Post subject: Re: E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - H Reply with quote

You  are  correct  ,  and  I  will  very  soon  upgrade  to  an  Ehiem  2211.

But  that  cannot  the  only  factor  for  zero  plant  growth.  

There  must  something  else  wrong  ,  because  Amazon  Sword  and  E.Tenellus  -  both  I  have  seen  growing  quite  well  in  my  friend's  low-tech  no-co2  tank  with  only  2  WPG  light.

Please  help  me  !
Scarlet
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:06 pm Post subject: Re: E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - H Reply with quote

how  long  since  the  E  tenellus  died  

could  also  be  a  fact  that  the  plants  that  were  put  in  there  were  grown  in  an  emersed  state  and  hence  all  the  leaves  have  melted  away  

the  same  thing  happened  to  my  dwarf  sword  and  2  weeks  later  i  got  new  leaves  adn  3  weeks  later  i  started  getting  runners  all  over  like  mad  

waiting  for  experts  to  help  out  here
ishan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:56 pm Post subject: Re: E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - H Reply with quote

If  you  read  the  first  post  correctly  ,  you  might  notice  that  I  have  already  mentioned  that  I  planted  the  micro  E.Tenellus  about  5-6  weeks  back.  No  new  growth  is  seen  till  date  !
shubhadeep
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:17 am Post subject: Re: E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - H Reply with quote

hi  ishan,

First  take  out  a  few  tenellus  randomly  (   3-  4  should  do)  from  your  tank  and  see  if  the  root  structure  is  developed  and  is  absolute  white  in  color.  If  yes,  leave  it  as  it  is,  they  will  pick  up.  If  not,  you  need  to  pull  out  all  the  tenellus,  cut  the  root  short  remove  dying/decaying  leaves  and  plant  individually  with  a  gap  of  1  inch.  Make  sure  the  root  system  stays  well  inside  the  substrate  (nutrient  layer),  don't  worry  about  the  crown,  just  keep  it  a  little  out.  This  goes  for  the  amazons  as  well.  light  penetration  and  a  little  water  circulation  at  the  lower  part  of  the  plants/tank  is  also  very  important.

Dosing  and  co2  are  ok,  but  you  need  to  make  sure  that  there  should  be  some  place  for  bacterial  colonization  as  well.  HOB  filters  are  basically  designed  for  mechanical  filteration  only.  you  need  both  mechanical  and  biological  filteration.  you  can  opt  for  a  canister  filter.  once  the  filter/tank  is  mature,  every  thing  will  start  kicking  in.

DIY  co2  is  good,  but  not  consistent,  switch  over  to  pressurized  system  to  make  it  constant,  beleive  me  it  helps  a  lot.  What  is  amout  of  CO2  you  are  injecting?

Lighting  is  ok,  take  the  photo  period  up  to  eight  hours.  

Can  we  a  pic  of  your  tank.

Thanks  
 Shubhadeep
ishan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:08 am Post subject: Re: E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - H Reply with quote

I  don't  know  what  root  you  guys  are  talking  about.

It  is  a  E.Tenellus  "micro"  variety  that  has  very  less  roots.

There  were  no  distinct  absolute  white  roots  down  there  even  when  I  got  them.  The  plants  were  about  2.5  cm  in  height  and  had  about  3-4  leaves  emerging  from  the  shoot.  There  were  brownish  coloured  2-3  roots  since  I  bought  them.

Yes  I  will  upload  a  pic  ,  but  at  present  it  is  nothing  but  a  skeleton  !  I  will  upload  once  I  finalize  a  scape.
ravi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:59 am Post subject: Re: E.Tenellus "micro" Dying , after yellowing - H Reply with quote

ishan  wrote  (View  Post):                

I  am  giving  3WPG  of  T5  lighting  ,  DIY  CO2  ,  6  hour  photo  period  ,  and  temperature  is  26.5-27  degrees  C.                

12  hours  photo  period  is  optimum.  10  hours  is  minimum.  Your  light  intensity  may  also  be  less  than  required.  Increase  to  6  wpg.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: