135. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,866

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Self Introduction
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Self Introduction
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 94, 95, 96  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> New Members and Beginners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iVarun
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:54 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hello  Everybody  !  Cheering  
 This  is  Varun  !I'm  from  Pune  nd  I'm  Engg.  Student.Actually  I'm  very  much  interested  i  aquarium  nd  fish  keeping.I  know  little  bit  bt  this  n  hope  ma  knowledge  will  grow  by  having  discussion  wid  you  all  !
 So  I'm  lukin  frwrd  to  hv  discussion  nd  to  hv  word  of  advice  frm  u  all  !  Thumb Up  
 Thnk  u  !  Sad
borneosucker
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

Location: Sabah, Malaysia.....I'm located in North of Borneo Island

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:54 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hi  Varun  :)

Yeap...it's  good  to  do  some  research  before  you  start  fish  keeping  and  you  will  find  good  advice  here  as  well.....:D

So  hope  you  will  have  a  wonderful  journey  with  your  fish  keeping  experience

Cheers
 BorneoSucker  Very Happy
blue-piranha
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:41 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

hi  em  rohan  em  an  architect  by  profession,  from  mumbai

i  been  into  this  hobby  since  i  was  a  kid  more  then  15  yrs  now  .

as  a  kid  have  done  all  possible  crazy  things  like  catching  worms  frm  dirty  ponds  to  feed  my  fishes,
 to  breeding  goldfishes,  bettas  and  other  live  bearers,
   tp  cutting  a  dead  female  tangerines  belly  to  rescue  the  frys,
 and  almost  being  beaten  up  by  the  local  LFS  guy  for  passing  his  lane  and  not  buyin  fishes  from  him  and  buying  it  from  the  neighboring  shop.  ROFL  

]been  sober  ever  since.  Very Happy  

most  of  the  weekends  are  spent  surfing  for  aqua  articles  and  visiting  LFS  ryte  from  kurla  shops  to  nautilus  and  utekar  fisheries.

been  reading  IAH  forum  for  quite  some  months  now..finally  decided  to  join  in.

the  amount  of  knowledge  evryone  has  here  amazes  me  especially  shiva  sir  who  is  always  ready  to  help.

currently  have  four  tanks.

1)  a  five  feeter  housing  my  8  your  old  pair  of  albino,  tiger  and  bala  sharks.

also  houses  a  pair  of  black  ghosts,  pair  of  angels  and  a  silver  arowana.

2)  a  three  feeter  housing  oscars,  pacus  dollars  and  albino  corydoras.
 3)  18  inches  cube  housing  a  pair  of  blue  turquoise  discus.

4)  a  expermental  3  feeter  (seven  months  old)  planted  tank.  over  crowded  must  say  with  evrything  from  clowns.otocinclus,whiptail,half  beaks,serphae,cardinals,rummynose,threadfins,rasboras,hockeysticks.yamato  and  cherry  red  shirmps.  and  lotsa  plants.

all  i  can  say  is  em  addicted  to  this  hobby.

and  looking  forward  to  interact  with  other  fellow  hobbyists.
RaviTeja
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:39 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

hi  my  name  is  Ravi  Teja  and  i  have  been  in  this  hobby  for  1  n  half  years.  heard  a  lot  about  it  and  the  information  and  the  knowledge  this  provides  so  decided  to  join  it.  I  am  keeping  a  Silver  arowana  and  have  a  2  flowerhorns

hope  to  get  every1's  support
borneosucker
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

Location: Sabah, Malaysia.....I'm located in North of Borneo Island

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:32 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hi  Ravi,  Welcome  to  the  party  Very Happy
Maaz
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:10 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hello  All,

My  name  is  Maaz  and  I  am  from  Bangalore.  I  have  been  in  this  hobby  from  10  years  but  have  joined  IAH  on  the  insistence  of  my  fishy  friends  and  because  it  is  a  very  good  platform  to  exchange  ideas.   Smile  

I  am  the  cousin  brother  of  Tabrez  Sheriff  (IAH  name:  Tabby)  and  we  collectively  have  been  very  interested  in  Native  Indian  fishes  from  the  past  2  years.  We  are  particularly  crazy  about  Snakeheads  and  jointly  own  more  than  12  species  of  Channas  and  over  100  in  number.   Very Happy  

Hope  to  have  a  great  time  here..   Thumb Up
Tabby
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:25 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Finally  you  are  here,welcome  bro!   Smile  don't  forget  to  check  out  all  the  topics  in  Native  Indian  Fishes..  Its  a  treat  for  people  like  us..   Thumb Up
vikas
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:46 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hello  Everybody,

I  am  Vikas  from  garden  city(Bangalore).  I  am  an  engineer  by  profession.
 I  was  introduced  to  fish  keeping  10  years  ago  by  my  father.  Then  we  had  two  small  tanks  with  
 some  tetra's  and  goldfishes,  But  due  to  various  reasons  we  had  to  discontinue.

Now  we  have  got  back  into  the  hobby  with  100G  tank  which  has  few  cichlids.  And  now  we  are  planning  to  own  some  rare  varieties.  I  am  very  exited  to  be  a  part  of  this  community  and  looking  forward  to  get  to  get  some  fish  keeping  knowledge  from  the  masters   Smile  

Regards,
 Vikas
aquascaper
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:07 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

hi  guys  ..
                  this  is  rohan  from  gujarat  ..  i  am  new  to  this  aquarium  hobby  ..  hope  i'll  get  some  useful  knowlegde  about  my  aquarium  hobby  from  all  the  fellow  IAHians  ..  specially  from  all  the  aquarium  GURUs   Smile   
                hope  to  hear  from  you  guyz  soon  Smile
bigkhamba
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:37 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hi  Guys  Smile  ,

My  name  is  Gurjap  Singh  and  am  currently  in  Chennai.  My  first  fish  tank,  something  my  dad  got,  was  over  15  years  back.  For  over  5  years  we  kept  fishes,  the  most  common  ones  -  Gold,  angels,  guppies,  black/orange  mollies,  tigers,  etc.  It  was  something  my  whole  family  enjoyed  and  our  black  molies  gave  babies  very  often  (had  to  get  a  2nd  tank  specially  for  that).

Anyway,  when  i  compleated  my  12th(in  1998)  i  moved  to  Delhi  and  was  unable  to  take  my  hobby   with  me  Sad  So  packed  up  my  fish  tanks,  gave  my  fishes  to  a  close  friend  who  had  a  tank  and  hoped  i  would  be  able  to  start  again  sometime  soon.  Was  there  for  around  8  years  and  moved  back  to  Chennai  end  of  2007.  As  soon  as  i  got  back  i  dug  up  my  old  tanks  so  that  i  could  start  this  hobby  again,  but  to  my  dismay  both  had  somehow  cracked   Shocked  It  took  me  quiet  a  while  to  get  myself  to  go  get  a  new  tank  as  I  was  working  in  night  shifts(was  working  in  the  BPO  industry  for  over  4years).  A  friend  of  mine  started  a  venture  of  his  own  and  I  joined  him(leaving  the  BPO  industry)  and  I  finally  got  time  to  start  my  hobby  again.  

To  start,  i  got  myself  a  small  20"  by  10"  setup  from  the  LFS  and  again  got  some  regular  fishes  blue/white  morphs,  angels,  tigers,  suckers,  etc.  (even  though  Discus,  Oscars,  Tetras,  etc  are  easily  available)   as  i  did  not  want  to  spend  too  much  because  I  saw  that  alot  had  changed  in  the  Aquarium  industry  Surprised  .  So  i  decided  to  start  with  what  i  knew  about  and  do  research  about  whats  new.  As  i  started  visiting  more  Aquarium/fish  shops  i  saw  that  Salt  water  fishes  had  really  caught  on  and  so  had  planted  aquariums.  As  i  researched  i  came  accross  "Aquascapeing"  which  i  think  is  AMAZING.  Initially  I  had  decided  that  my  2nd  tank  would  be  a  Salt  water  one  but  quickly  gave  that  idea  up  when  i  saw  some  amazing  Aquascapes.  I  am  going  to  place  an  order  for  a  60"  by  18"  by  18"  tank  for  a  planted  setup  and  have  been  doing  research  on  which  plants  and  where  in  Chennai  can  I  get  them  for  my  setup  which  is  when  i  stumbled  accross  IAH   Clapping  

I  am  sure  my  fellow  chennaites  will  be  able  to  guide  me  on  where  to  aquire  the  required  stuff  and  hopefully  will  be  able  to  meet  you  in  your  monthly  get  togethers.  So  when  is  the  next  one?  Thumb Up  

Cheers,
 Gurjap  Singh

Last edited by bigkhamba on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jenny
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:53 am Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hello  everyone.   I  hope  I  am  in  your  correct  forum.   My  name  is  Jenny,  I  am  from  Australia  and  your  site  was  recommended  to  us  by  adip.   My  interests  of  course  include  fishkeeping  and  planted  aquaria.   I  am  a  member/admin  of  the  Australian  ADA  site   www.fishforum.com.au  and  am  thrilled  to  now  be  a  part  of  your  community.   Please  feel  free  to  visit  us  also,  and  show  us  your  tanks.   Thumb Up   It  is  great  to  find  you  and  I  am  going  to  have  a  good  read  now,  and  see  if  I  can  find  all  your  tanks   Very Happy  
 I  will  try  to  drop  in  from  time  to  time.   Thanks  for  having  me.   Smile
hayath_dyno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:35 am Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Welcome   Vikas,  aquascaper,  Gurjap   and  Jenny.

Enjoy  your  stay  here.

Cheers,
shreyasharan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:09 pm Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

hello  fellow  fishkeepers!

I  am  lucky  to  have  stumbled  across  this  forum  since  I  am  a  newbie  at  fish  keeping  (excusing  the  disastrous  attempts  i  made  as  a  kid).
 Through  extensive  reading  over  the  internet  i  have  managed  to  successfully  maintain  a  fresh  water  aquarium  for  the  last  month  and  a  half.   Very Happy  I  have  the  beginners  kit  consisting  of  6  tiger  barbs,  6  mollies,  4  angels,  2  black  skirt  tetra,  1  pleco,  4  dwarf  rainbows.  Thankfully  they  are  living  together  in  harmony  and  display  no  aggression  towards  each  other.  

Looking  forward  to  gaining  more  experience  so  that  i  can  set  up  a  saltwater  aquarium  and  also  breed  some  fish!

I  have  just  shifted  to  Dwaraka,  New  Delhi  and  i  am  completely  lost  here  and  also  terribly  misled  by  my  LFS(the  uneducated  bugger!).  
 Shall  keep  everyone  updated  on  how  i  proceed  and  will  be  constantly  begging  for  tips.
 Thanks  in  advance  for  your  help!  

Peace!
 Shreya
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:35 pm Post subject: Nerd with OCD enters the Aquarist Club Reply with quote

Hello  IAH,

I  am  Sid  from  Bombay  [Ghatkopar].

I  am  a  CompSci  graduate  from  VESIT  (Bombay)  and  a  MS  in  Comp  Sci  from  Duke  Univ  (NC,  USA).  I  am  currently  working  at  a  boring  position  in  Software  Services  Industry  where  my  chief  challenge  is  to  not  kill  the  retards  who  report  to  me  and  the  retards  with  MBA  degrees  who  I  am  reporting  to.

As  you  can  already  guess,  I  got  an  aquarium  to  ensure  the  other  people  in  my  office  have  a  long  life  without  the  risk  of  some  guy  stabbing  them  in  the  face  the  next  time  they  utter  something  stupid.

I  am  a  noob  when  it  comes  to  "practical"  fish-keeping..(and  I  did  not  know  about  IAH)  So,  I  expected  my  LFS  guy  to  guide  me  in  the  right  direction...Intentionally  or  unintentionally  he    it  up!

So,  now  I  had  a  (nearly)  3ft  X  1.7ft  x  1.5ft  tank,  filled  with  those  little  stones  and  plastic  plants  and  "not-so-special"  fish  (red-caps,  black  moors,  sliver  dollars  etc).

As  I  started  my  research  on  this  and  starting  collecting  some  half-way  decent  fish  and  gave  some  away  to  cousins,  nieces  and  nephews.

Currently  my  tank  holds:

1.  "Common"  Gold  Fish:  (about  3  inches):  One  pair.
 2.  Black  Moor  (about  3  inches):  Single  (Gave  his  friend  away  to  my  niece  and  nephew)
 3.  Ryukin  (White  +  Gold):  (about  3  inches):  One  pair.
 4.  Ranchu  (Gold):  (2  are  3  inches,  1  is  smaller):  Three
 5.  Pearl  Gourami:  (about  3.5-4  inches):  One  male  +  2  females.
 6.  Neon  Blue  Dwarf  Gourami  (about  2.5  inches):  One  male  (Lone  survivor  from  6  males  in  one  tank  without  adequate  "hiding  places".  Yes,  I  was  a  noob).
 7.  Silver  Dollars  (2.5  inches):  5

I  now  know  it's  a  bad  idea  to  keep  tropical  fish  with  "temperate"  (cold-water)  fish.  So,  I  am  still  trying  to  decide  between  buying  another  tank  or  choosing  between  my  tropical  fish  V.  gold  fish  and  giving  one  group  away.  I  have  the  thermostat  set  at  28C,  and  everyone  seems  to  be  doing  OK.

I  expect  to  learn  from  IAH  some  practical  knowledge  (wrt  Indian  resources)  about  this  hobby  which  I  can't  glean  from  Wikipedia  etc..

Peace,

Sid
Vicky01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:29 am Post subject: Re: Self Introduction Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm  Vicky.  I  have  kept  fish  for  two  years.  Started  with  Siamese  fighters  in  bowls  and  then  moved  on  to  mollies,  angels,  gouramis,  a  loach,  a  swordtail  and  a  catfish  all  in  one  tank.  After  that  I  moved  on  to  tiger  barbs,  then  oscars  and  right  now  it's  a  flowerhorn  and  an  oscar  in  a  recently  acquired  used  4'  x  2'  x  2'.

I  have  not  been  very  successful  at  keeping  fish.  Fish  have  very  short  lifespans.  The  ones  that  I  owned  have  had  their  lives  shortened  some  more.  When  I  set  up  my  first  fighter  bowl,  I  read  about  the  nitrogen  cycle  and  other  invisible  aquarium  related  things  that  a  responsible  hobbyist  must  keep  in  mind.  I  didn't  pay  heed  to  a  lot  of  these  things  at  that  time.  I  can  trace  the  cause  of  most  of  my  failures  to  this  fact.

Coming  to  the  present:

I'm  planning  to  remodel  my  old  tank  into  a  planted  one.  The  tank  dimensions  are  36"  x  15"  x  18".  I'm  requesting  IAH  members  to  provide  guidance  on  the  steps  that  I  must  follow.  I  have  read  a  lot  of  threads  in  the  forum  on  planted  tanks  but  I  have  not  been  able  to  formulate  the  process  that  I  must  follow.

This  what  I  have  in  mind  for  the  first  couple  of  months:

-  Give  each  type  of  plant  time  to  reach  a  respectable  size  before  adding  new  plants.
 -  Set  up  all  the  flora  before  adding  fish.
 -  Add  plants  that  can  stand  difficult  tank  conditions:  no  added  CO2,  indirect  sunlight  during  the  day,  indirect  tube-light  for  a  few  hours  of  the  evening.
 -  Don't  use  substrate.  Use  rocks  and  pieces  of  pottery  to  anchor  plants.
 -  Add  fish  that  can  adapt  to  these  conditions  and  that  will  not  destroy  the  flora.
 -  Ramp  up  to  the  maximum  number  and  variety  of  fish  that  the  tank  can  sustain.

These  are  the  questions  that  I  have  about  implementing  my  plan  for  the  first  couple  of  months:

-  What  model  of  filter/pump  and  heater  should  I  buy?
 -  What  type  of  aquatic  plants  can  live  in  the  conditions  that  I  have  described?
 -  In  what  order  should  I  start  planting  plants?
 -  What  signs  of  disease  should  I  watch  out  for  after  adding  each  type  of  plant?
 -  What  is  the  best  source  for  these  plants  in  terms  of  price  and  availability?

I  have  the  same  questions  about  fish  that  I  can  add  in  the  tank.

For  the  moment,  my  focus  is  on  functionality.  Aesthetic  appeal  can  come  later.  The  long  term  plan  is  to  add  DIY  CO2  and  a  hood  or  canopy  with  in-built  tube-lights.  I  might  be  able  to  add  new  types  of  fish  by  reducing  the  number  of  fish  added  in  the  first  two  months.

Thank  you  for  taking  the  time  to  read  all  of  this.  Replies  to  my  questions  are  very  welcome!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  New Members and Beginners All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
Page 47 of 96

Jump to: