135. Guest
136. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,484

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - DIY Aquarium Controller - Working and In the Tank Now !!!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

DIY Aquarium Controller - Working and In the Tank Now !!!
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perikaruppan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:38 pm Post subject: DIY Aquarium Controller - Working and In the Tank Now !!! Reply with quote

Dear  Friends,
 After  some  major  crashes  and  tank  resets,  i  decided  that  i  am  in  requirement  of  an  Aquarium  Controller  (for  Marine  and  FW)...  and  i  Ended  up  with  an  Ardunio  Microcontroller  to  be  the  brain  of  my  System...  

All  materials  are  procured...  and  this  shall  be  configuration:

1.  20X4  Blue  LCD  display   Thumbs Up    to  Display  the  parameters
 2.    POWER  MODULE-  Can  control  currently  16  power  outlets  (can  increase  to  64  if  needed   Cheering  )  (turning  them  on  or  off  based  on  time,  or  action).
 3.    FLOAT  MODULE  -  Can  take  currently  up  to  16  float  switch  status  (can  increase  to  64  if  needed)  to  determine  water  levels  of  various  tanks  (sump,  storage  tank,  RO  tank,  salt  mix  tank)  for  Automatic  top  off  and  Water  change.
 4.  Got  a  Keypad  -  for  changing  the  Clock,  date,  Settings  of  Alarms,  setting  time  for  lights,  Setting  the  Power  on  or  Power  off  for  Power  Module,  turn  on  into  Feed  Mode,  Water  change  mode  etc.,
 5.  ANALOG  MODULE  -  Can  take  4  Analog  inputs  -  to  measure,  PH,  TDS,  ORP  and  Salinity  -  currently  only  PH  is  operational.  
 6.  TEMPERATURE  MODULE  -  currently  it  is  configured  to  measure  5  temperatures  (2  of  my  tanks,  1  sump  and  2  ambient  temperature  (room  and  outside))  but  can  increase  this  also  to  16  if  needed   Clapping  
 7.  MEMORY  MODULE  -  to  store  the  log  of  data  of  the  tank  parameters....

these  are  the  basic  configurations  that  i  felt  are  enough  currently  with  an  option  to  increase  them  at  will  and  wish  if  required!!!!  .....

these  are  the  processes  the  controller  can  perform  (programmed  and  operational)   Thumb Up   :  

1.  Turn  on  and  off  8  sets  of  lights  based  on  timers.
 2.  Turn  on  and  off  16  sets  of  Power  Sockets  based  on  timers  -  or  based  on  action  of  the  keypad
 3.  Turn  on  and  off  a  certain  set  of  power  sockets  in  Feed  Mode  -  this  can  be  set  using  the  Keypad  and  LCD
 4.  Measures  PH  and  display  within  an  accuracy  of  +/-  0.02  
 5.  Measure  and  display  temperature  upto  2  decimals  accuracy...  
 6.  By  pressing  a  button  will  take  the  whole  system  into  Feed  Mode  -  Motors,  internal  pumps  and  lights  will  turn  off  as  per  the  settings  for  a  specific  period  of  time  called  as  Feed  mode  time...  this  feed  mode  time  is  also  using  keypad  and  Display...
 7.  Automatic  water  top  off  based  on  two  floats  in  the  sump  and  1  float  in  the  storage  box...  if  storage  box  is  empty  an  alarm  will  turn  ON  to  add  more  water.
 8.  Automatic  water  change  by  pressing  a  button  in  the  keypad,  using  2  floats  in  the  sump  and  1  float  in  the  Water  change  box...  again  if  water  storage  can  is  below  the  float  in  it,  then  Alarm  will  turn  ON  to  add  more  water  and  water  change  wont  happen.
 9.  When  in  automated  water  top  off,  it  turns  on  another  power  socket  so  that  we  can  use  that  to  doze  elements  into  the  tank.
 10.  Based  on  the  tank  /  sump  temperature  to  turn  on  or  off  the  Chiller  power  socket  to  to  ON  or  OFF  the  chiller..  the  temperature,  turn  on  and  turn  off  temperature  can  be  set  using  keypad  and  display.

currently  these  are  the  features  that  i  have  thought  off  and  finished  off  the  programming..  and  all  modules  are  working  on  an  individual  basis  Cheering  ....  have  not  combined  all  into  one  set...  already  designed  the  display  box  and  all  are  set...  the  pictures  will  be  up  in  a  couple  of  days  as  my  camera  is  DEAD!!!  ....

after  thinking  a  lot,  and  configuring  this  i  found  that  most  of  the  processes  are  for  marine  and  literally  all  the  options  that  are  basically  required  for  a  marine  are  in  here...  still  there  are  more  automated  processes  that  can  be  added...

so  wanted  the  inputs  from  all  hobbyists  including  Fresh  Water  Hobbyists  as  to  what  they  would  like  this  controller  to  do...  so  that  i  can  do  all  the  options  (  to  my  possible  knowledge  of  electronics  and  programming)....  

also  i  have  the  following  lined  up:
 1.  to  have  the  data  log  of  all  parameters  for  a  period  of  1  month,  such  as  
    a.  how  long  each  light  is  on  since  inception.
    b.  life  of  the  MH  bulbs.
    c.  Turn  on  and  off  of  chiller,  working  time  and  off  time  of  chiller  on  average.
    d.  temperature  of  tank  and  ambient  temperature.
    e.  PH  of  tank
    f.  Water  change  amount  on  a  weekly  basis  

2.  To  use  the  PWM  in  the  controller  to  control  Controllable  pumps  to  make  Waves  in  the  water....  

3.  To  have  an  Ethernet  Contoller  linked  on  to  this  controller  to  send  periodic  Emails/SMS  about  tank  parameters.

4.  To  Have  a  Flood  Alarm  in  case  there  is  tank  overflow.

5.  To  have  a  signal  for  current  in  water!!!!  most  important  for  people  like  me...

these  are  the  things  that  i  have  thought  off...

and  i  know  that  many  people  will  be  interested  in  the  pricing,  and  i  can  just  tell  that  all  this  was  done  with  JUST  less  that  5  digits  figure  of  money...

Kindly  give  your  inputs,  and  kindly  add  as  to  what  will  be  that  you  will  be  looking  for....

take  care  
 Pk  Rock On[b]

Last edited by Perikaruppan on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
hayath_dyno

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:21 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Aquarium Controller - WORKING! Reply with quote

Sounds  super  interesting!

Hope  to  see  it  in  action  soon  mate,  bring  on  some  pics
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:24 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Aquarium Controller - WORKING! Reply with quote

PK........  No  words  of  appreciation  I  can  find  for  you.  You  are  the  GURU.  What  is  your  professional  background?  Electronics?
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:34 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Aquarium Controller - WORKING! Reply with quote

Fantastic.  

Way  to  go.  Waiting  for  pictures  and  updates.

Regards,
 Nayak.
aroopnath
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:35 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Aquarium Controller - WORKING! Reply with quote

You  should  be  the  epitome  of  obsession...God  I  have  never  seen  anyone  get  so  obsessed  with  a  hobby  so  much...  Keep  up  the  good  work....
bijay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:35 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Aquarium Controller - WORKING! Reply with quote

Hi  PK  

The  amount  of  customisation  that  you  have  thought  about  is  incredible  !!!!  
 As  a  DIY  kinda  guy,  this  interests  me  no  end  !  Clapping  
 In  tems  of  FW  and  planted  tanks  ,  I  would  want  something  like  this  .  

1)  Lights  and  CO  to  be  on  a  timer  
 2)  when  lights  are  off  the  co2  needs  to  get  shut  off  as  well.  
 3)  when  the  co2  gets  shut  off  aeration  needs  to  start.  
 4)  shut  off  co2  when  it  reaches  a  predetermined  saturation  level  in  the  waterwhich  will  give  the  plants  the  best  kick  off  but  not  kill  fish  either.  (  we  always  err  on  the  side  of  not  killing  fish  Sad  so  there  is  a  lot  more  potential  for  this.  
 5)  Tell  you  when  your  filter  flow  rate  falls  below  a  threshold  limit  
 6)  I  think  madan  was  customising  some  ways  of  automating  daily  PMDD  dosing  as  well  ,  but  not  aware  of  how  far  the  exercise  had  progressed.  
 You  have  covered  all  the  rest  that  I  can  think  of.  

Regards  

Bijay
kulsdood
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:41 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Aquarium Controller - WORKING! Reply with quote

Looks  liks  a  fantabulous  product  to  sell  Smile..  ensure  you  copyright  it  Smile
bmvbab
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:47 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Aquarium Controller - WORKING! Reply with quote

Fantastic  :)

These  might  help:
 1.  For  MH  bulbs,  a  slight  delay  can  be  introduced  before  it  is  switched  on  in  case  of  power  failure
 2.  With  minor  changes  to  the  code,  you  can  include  heater  also  into  the  temperature  control  section(you  dont  seem  to  have  included  a  heater,  sure  you  dont  really  need  it,  but  you  can  include  this  too)

Really  great  that  you  have  included  data  collection.  Monthly  data  can  give  rise  to  some  very  interesting  analysis.
aroopnath
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:48 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Aquarium Controller - WORKING! Reply with quote

Once  you  perfect  your  design  you  could  mass  produce  this  product  under  your  own  brand  name...  Clapping  ...  But  do  have  a  discounted  offer  for  us  IAHites...  Very Happy
alpha91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:13 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Aquarium Controller - WORKING! Reply with quote

Any  configurations  to  put  in  a  drool  smiley  in  my  posts  automatically?  Very Happy  
 Awesome  stuff!!
sssram
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:17 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Aquarium Controller - WORKING! Reply with quote

I  was  wishing  someone  to  design  such  a  micro  processor.
 Congrats  and  my  best  wishes  for  the  success  of  the  product.
 See  you  can  make  it   remote  operated.

sssram
Perikaruppan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:36 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Aquarium Controller - WORKING! Reply with quote

bijay  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  PK  
 In  tems  of  FW  and  planted  tanks  ,  I  would  want  something  like  this  .  

1)  Lights  and  CO  to  be  on  a  timer  
 2)  when  lights  are  off  the  co2  needs  to  get  shut  off  as  well.  
 3)  when  the  co2  gets  shut  off  aeration  needs  to  start.  
 4)  shut  off  co2  when  it  reaches  a  predetermined  saturation  level  in  the  waterwhich  will  give  the  plants  the  best  kick  off  but  not  kill  fish  either.  (  we  always  err  on  the  side  of  not  killing  fish  Sad  so  there  is  a  lot  more  potential  for  this.  
 5)  Tell  you  when  your  filter  flow  rate  falls  below  a  threshold  limit  
 6)  I  think  madan  was  customising  some  ways  of  automating  daily  PMDD  dosing  as  well  ,  but  not  aware  of  how  far  the  exercise  had  progressed.  
 You  have  covered  all  the  rest  that  I  can  think  of.  

Regards  

Bijay                

Vijay,  light  and  Co2  can  be  on  the  same  timer...  and  we  can  use  a  regular  solenoid  valve  to  turn  on  and  off  the  Co2...
 clause  3  of  aeration  can  be  programmed  into  one  of  the  16  power  sockets  to  turn  on  the  aerator...
 point  4,  of  auto  shut  off  can  be  done  reading  the  PH  of  the  tank...  
 point  5  is  not  possible  as  the  digital  flow  meter  is  freaking  expensive...
 point  6,  yes  i  forgot  to  mention  the  automated  dozing,  similar  to  that  of  a  peristatic  pump  used  in  marine  dosing...  got  the  motor  of  10rpm  but  not  gone  deep  into  it...

will  definitely  incorporate  all  the  above...  and  thankx..
Perikaruppan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:41 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Aquarium Controller - WORKING! Reply with quote

Thanks  tirta,  hayath,  nayak,  aroop,  kulsdood,  alpha,…
 Babu  will  include  those  too…
 Not  very  keen  on  marketing  it  as  my  business  line  is  into  Construction!!!...  and  Tirtha  I  am  electronics  guy  with  an  MBA  in  finance  and  into  Construction  for  a  living  with  Fish  as  my  Hobby!!!  So  totally  unrelated  in  all  aspects!!!   ROFL  
 On  successfully  getting  it  up  and  running  might  consider  doing  it  on  a  small  scale  for  IAHians  who  require  it…   Very Happy
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:57 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Aquarium Controller - WORKING! Reply with quote

he  came  ,  he  saw,  he  conquered
mod-the-pc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:59 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Aquarium Controller - WORKING! Reply with quote

Wonderful  idea!!  Every  DIY  of  yours  amuses  me.
 Is  the  LCD  based  on  a  HD44780  compliant  controller?  Can  you  please  PM  me  the  cost  and  availability  in  Chennai  since  I'm  looking  for  a  16x2  for  my  PC.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: