171. Guest
172. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,745

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - LIve Worms : Cultures (Updated - 17 June '11)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

LIve Worms : Cultures (Updated - 17 June '11)
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Breeding & Fry Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURPREET
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:04 am Post subject: Re: LIve Worms :Microworms (Grindlal worms culture available Reply with quote

I  also  need  some  Microworms,  Grindal  worms  cultures  in  New  Delhi..can  they  be  given  to  both  fry  and  adult?  also  guide  in  cultivating..pls  help

gurpreet
 gurpreetchoudhry(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)in
surya_niki
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:38 pm Post subject: Re: LIve Worms :Microworms (Grindal worms culture available) Reply with quote

Hi,

Finally  managed  to  revive  the  grindal  worm  culture  and  here  are  few  pictures  of  it.  I  don’t  mind  sharing  the  culture  with  hobbyists  who  are  in  need  of  them  and  not  with  hobbyist  who  don’t  know  what  to  do  with  the  culture....  

The  reason  for  using  this  sentence  is  because  I'm   have  tough  time  taking  calls  and  helping  hobbyist  understand  on  how  to  culture  the  grindal  worms.  I  have  couriered  cultures  to  outstation  hobbyist  and  all  I  get  to  hear  is  that,  the  culture  is  too  small,  the  culture  was  dead  by  the  time  they  received  it,  and  why  did  you  charge  120rs  –  150rs  for  the  courier  and  bla  bla  bla.  

Yes,  I  have  charged  for  the  culture  which  was  only  to  cover  the  courier  charges.  The  charges  are  because;  DTDC  has  a  service,  where  the  package  is  delivered  the  next  working  day.  This  is  called  as  DTDC  plus.  I  request  hobbyist  to  verify  this  if  they  don’t  believe  me.

Request  you  to  understand  that  when  you  ask  for  a  starter  culture  please  expect  the  quantity  to  be  from  a  baby  spoon  to  a  large  spoon  and  not  the  size  of  a  dinner  plate.

And  the  benefit  of  everyone,  please  see  below  on  how  to  culture  grindal  worms  which  has  worked  for  me:  (If  you  already  have  recipe  then  go  ahead  with  it)

1. Get  fresh  compost  (Not  earthworm  and  compost  which  has  chemicals)
 2. Put  the  compost  in  a  container
 3. Moist  the  compost  (Ensure  that  it  is  not  too  watery)
 4. For  feeding  the  culture,  I  soak  oats  in  warm  water  for  15-20  mins.  After  which,  I  sprinkle  the  soaked  oats  on  the  compost  
 5. Finally,  add  the  starter  culture  into  the  container
 6. I  place  small  acrylic  strips  on  the  oat  meal  so  that  I  can  use  it  to  harvest  the  worms.  You  could  also  use  glass  strips
 7. Close  the  container.  Now  don’t  have  and  air  tight  container.  You  could  make  holes  in  the  lid  and  close  it  cotton  plugs  or  sponge  for  air  exchange.  The  reason  why  you  close  the  holes  is  because  you  don’t  want  maggots  growing  in  it.
 8. feed  you  fish  by  dipping  the  acrylic  sheet  directly  into  the  tank
 9. Feed  the  worms  when  you  see  a  population  dip
 10. Once  you  have  the  culture  running  successfully,  have  the  heart  to  share  it  with  your  fellow  hobbyists

Hobbyist  from  Bangalore,  who  are  interested  in  the  culture  can  come  and  pick  it  from  my  home.  Sorry  to  say  this  but  I  will  not  be  sending  cultures  to  outstation  hobbyists.  If  you  have  some  to  collect  and  send  it  to  you,  then  you  are  most  welcome.

Regards,
 Surya
alpha91

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:49 am Post subject: Re: LIve Worms :Microworms (Grindal worms culture available) Reply with quote

surya_niki  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi,

Finally  managed  to  revive  the  grindal  worm  culture  and  here  are  few  pictures  of  it.  I  don’t  mind  sharing  the  culture  with  hobbyists  who  are  in  need  of  them  and  not  with  hobbyist  who  don’t  know  what  to  do  with  the  culture....  

The  reason  for  using  this  sentence  is  because  I'm   have  tough  time  taking  calls  and  helping  hobbyist  understand  on  how  to  culture  the  grindal  worms.  I  have  couriered  cultures  to  outstation  hobbyist  and  all  I  get  to  hear  is  that,  the  culture  is  too  small,  the  culture  was  dead  by  the  time  they  received  it,  and  why  did  you  charge  120rs  –  150rs  for  the  courier  and  bla  bla  bla.  

Yes,  I  have  charged  for  the  culture  which  was  only  to  cover  the  courier  charges.  The  charges  are  because;  DTDC  has  a  service,  where  the  package  is  delivered  the  next  working  day.  This  is  called  as  DTDC  plus.  I  request  hobbyist  to  verify  this  if  they  don’t  believe  me.

Request  you  to  understand  that  when  you  ask  for  a  starter  culture  please  expect  the  quantity  to  be  from  a  baby  spoon  to  a  large  spoon  and  not  the  size  of  a  dinner  plate.

And  the  benefit  of  everyone,  please  see  below  on  how  to  culture  grindal  worms  which  has  worked  for  me:  (If  you  already  have  recipe  then  go  ahead  with  it)

1. Get  fresh  compost  (Not  earthworm  and  compost  which  has  chemicals)
 2. Put  the  compost  in  a  container
 3. Moist  the  compost  (Ensure  that  it  is  not  too  watery)
 4. For  feeding  the  culture,  I  soak  oats  in  warm  water  for  15-20  mins.  After  which,  I  sprinkle  the  soaked  oats  on  the  compost  
 5. Finally,  add  the  starter  culture  into  the  container
 6. I  place  small  acrylic  strips  on  the  oat  meal  so  that  I  can  use  it  to  harvest  the  worms.  You  could  also  use  glass  strips
 7. Close  the  container.  Now  don’t  have  and  air  tight  container.  You  could  make  holes  in  the  lid  and  close  it  cotton  plugs  or  sponge  for  air  exchange.  The  reason  why  you  close  the  holes  is  because  you  don’t  want  maggots  growing  in  it.
 8. feed  you  fish  by  dipping  the  acrylic  sheet  directly  into  the  tank
 9. Feed  the  worms  when  you  see  a  population  dip
 10. Once  you  have  the  culture  running  successfully,  have  the  heart  to  share  it  with  your  fellow  hobbyists

Hobbyist  from  Bangalore,  who  are  interested  in  the  culture  can  come  and  pick  it  from  my  home.  Sorry  to  say  this  but  I  will  not  be  sending  cultures  to  outstation  hobbyists.  If  you  have  some  to  collect  and  send  it  to  you,  then  you  are  most  welcome.

Regards,
 Surya                

Hi  Surya.  

I  really  admire  your  efforts  for  spreading  these  cultures.  
 I  have  recieved  a  grindal  culture  that  i  guess  originated  from  you,through  Anwin  (anwinj).  Im  doing  my  best  to  spread  it  amongst  the  hobbyists  here  (Pune,Mumbai).  
 Feels  sick  to  hear  about  such  people  who  complain  about  the  charges  of  the  courier  instead  of  thanking  you  for  the  culture  Sad  It  is  giving  serious  hobbyists  a  bad  name.
 Will  update  this  thread  when  i  have  some  starters  to  give  away.
susee
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:08 am Post subject: Re: LIve Worms :Microworms (Grindlal worms culture available Reply with quote

Hi  Surya,

The  culture  of  Grindal  worms  received  by  me  is  thriving  very  well  with  me,
 I  am  using  the  the  home  made  compost  and  I  am  feeding  oats  for  worms  to  feed.
 The  worms  are  multiplying  I  think  it  will  take  a  week  or  two  for  the  culture
 to  go  in  fullswing.  As  you  said  the  DTDC  has  delivered  the  courier  on  the  next
   day  which  was  very  helpful.

Thanks  Surya.

Regards
 Suseendhran.
surya_niki
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:10 pm Post subject: Re: LIve Worms :Microworms (Grindlal worms culture available Reply with quote

Thank  you  Shubhankar  &  Suseendhran.

I  really  appreciate  your  comments  and  efforts  in  culturing  the  worms.

Suseendhran:  Try  to  add  alot  of  oats  in  the  box.  You  will  see  the  worms  multiply  200  to  400%  in  24  to  48  hrs.

All  the  best  to  you  guys.  Thumb Up  

Regards,
 Surya
susee
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:28 pm Post subject: Re: LIve Worms :Microworms (Grindlal worms culture available Reply with quote

Hi  Surya,

As  your  suggested  I  will  add  the  oats.

Thanks  &  Regards
 Suseendhran.
GURPREET
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:07 am Post subject: Re: LIve Worms :Microworms (Grindlal worms culture available Reply with quote

someone  help  me  also  with  some  cultures  in  new  delhi.  looking  forward  to  start  micro  and  grindal  worms  and  share  with  all  in  delhi/NCR.
Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:13 am Post subject: Re: LIve Worms :Microworms (Grindlal worms culture available Reply with quote

Shocked

Last edited by Romi on Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:18 am Post subject: Re: LIve Worms :Microworms (Grindlal worms culture available Reply with quote

@Surya_niki  

i  am  very  sorry  to  read  that  there  are  so  many  people  who  are  unappreciative  of  your  efforts  to  spread  this  FIRST  CLASS  fish  food.  Last  year  i  had  posted  a  thread  about  my  WHITE  WORMS  which  are  related  to  GRINDAL  WORMS.  It  had  links  to  actual  photographs  for  all  to  see.  But  i  lost  the  worms  in  March  due  to  the  heat  in  Delhi  [they  are  not  so  tolerant  of  heat  like  Grindals].  Now  i  am  very  sorry  to  hear  so  many  people  have  not  bothered  to  learn  to  keep  this  wonderful  live  food  properly,  and  are  grumbling  about  it  as  if  it  is  your  fault  and  not  theirs!!

But  please  don't  let  it  deter  you.  For  every  immature,  ignorant  and  ungrateful  person,  there  are  two  who  just  need  half  a  spoonful  of  them  to  be  ALWAYS  greatful  to  you,  and  other  generous  hobbyists  like  you,  for  taking  the  time  and  effort  to  help  others..

@Gurpreet

Can  we  find  some  person  in  Bangalore  who  is  a  hobbyist  and  visits  Delhi   too?  I  have  been  looking  for  these  GRINDALS  FOR  OVER  A  YEAR.  Delhi  has  so  many  hobbyists,  do  u  think  we  can  make  a  group  to  get  a  culture,  then  just  spread  it  around?  I  keep  red  wigglers  and  can  tell  any  Delhi-ite   where  to  buy  them,  and  daphnia,  i  can  share  them  from  my  own  culture.  i  am  sure  if  we  could  all  pool  in  and  get  some  grindals,  i  could  propagate  and  share  them  easily.
indianhotriff
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:56 am Post subject: Re: LIve Worms :Microworms (Grindlal worms culture available Reply with quote

count  me  in  romi.  lets  get  these  little  suckers  to  Delhi  and  feed  our  fish.  what  say?  

Surya,  how  can  we  get  a  starter  culture  from  you?  Can  you  sed  them  by  overnight  courier?  

Thanks
GURPREET
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:54 pm Post subject: Re: LIve Worms :Microworms (Grindlal worms culture available Reply with quote

ok  i  am  also  in  for  it..  Thumb Up  lets  spread  all  in  delhi.  Very Happy
Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:03 am Post subject: Re: LIve Worms :Microworms (Grindlal worms culture available Reply with quote

@indianhotriff

pleased  to  see  u  bro.  if  we  think  we  can,  we  will!

@gurmeet

let  us  try  to  do  it  befor  the  real  winter  chill  sets  in!  Delhi  is  still  not  that  cold
Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:53 pm Post subject: Re: LIve Worms :Microworms (Grindlal worms culture available Reply with quote

folks,  should  i  be  excited  or  should  i  be  yawning?  i  have  found  worms  similar  to  grindals  again.  my  happening  backyard   Chuckle   i  made  a  thread  of  these  when  i  found  them  roughly  this  time  last  year  also,  entitled  'White  Worms  in  Delhi'.   Put  pics  there  too.  White  worms  are  closely  related  to  grindal  worms.  But  white  worms  cannot  tolerate  heat  greater  than  17   degrees  celcius.  ...  ..  

@indianhotriff

your  flat  is  so  shady,  the  greenery  around  is  unusual.  what  if  u  keep  them  just  as  summers  come  calling?  Maybe  in  your  fish  room?  What  temps  do  u  achieve  there?
marshalmaveric
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:54 am Post subject: Re: LIve Worms :Microworms (Grindlal worms culture available Reply with quote

I  wanted  to  know  if  anyone  near  Lucknow  had  any  micro  worms  or  grindal  culture  ?  Anyone  kind  enough  to  send  it  across  to  me?  I  am  ready  to  pay  for  postal  charges.  Please  PM  me.

Regards,
 Arjun
alpha91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:47 pm Post subject: Re: LIve Worms :Microworms (Grindlal worms culture available Reply with quote

One  running  culture  sent  to  Delhi  by  DTDC  plus,to  Gurmeet.  It  is  a  pretty  good  culture,so  you  guys  should  be  able  to  start  atleast  4-5  sub  cultures  as  soon  as  it  reaches  Delhi..  
 Just  in  case  you  dont  know  how  to  go  about  it,  just  take  a  small  swipe  on  the  container  walls  with  an  earbud.  dump  it  into  a  VERY  small  quantity  of  water,use  it  to  mositen  the  atta  in  a  new  container.  The  culture  should  bloom  in  the  next  2-4  days...  
 Also,i  use  a  plain  atta  recipe  for  my  worms,no  yeast,no  sugar.  ONLY  moistened  atta  (a  little  runnier  than  the  consistency  used  for  rotis)
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Breeding & Fry Care All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 5 of 18

Jump to: