119. Guest
120. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,426

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Pressurize co2 quipment not working
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Pressurize co2 quipment not working
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:18 am Post subject: Pressurize co2 quipment not working Reply with quote

Hello  All,

got  a  used  pressurized  co2  setup  about  2  months  back  however  not  been  able  to  use  it  continuously  for  more  than  2  weeks  as  it  starts  dumping.....below  is  what  is  happening

1.  cylinder  refilled  (second  shop  adjacent  to  Vinayaka  enterprises)  when  the  tank  pressure  went  down,  after  refill  pressure  was  showing  at  50  but  realised  that  fellow  actually  did  not  fill  it  as  i  was  busy  with  my  phone  (too  many  office  calls)  Sad  ....on  top  of  that  i  forgot  to  weigh  befor  refilling  Wall Bang...and  he  took  advantage  of  it...anyways  immediately  after  i  got  it  home  and  set  it  up  the  room  was  smelling  of  co2....and  this  smell  continued  for  the  next  5-6  days  and  the  cylinder  pressure  started  to  drop....no  leakage  as  i  tested  it  with  soap  water...i  was  not  able  to  control  the  bubble  count  as  well....hence  concluded  the  cylinder  was  almost  over....

2.  got  it  tested  again  at  one  of  my  reliable  lfs...everything  was  ok...no  leakage  found  and  got  it  refilled  as  well.....got  it  back  after  2  days...this  time  no  smell  of  co2  when  i  was  setting  it  up......i  was  happy  that  probably  last  time  that  fellow  actually  did  not  fill  it  up.....however  this  time  also  it  worked  well  for  about  2  weeks  and  again  the  same  thing  happened...pressure  went  down  and  co2  started  smelling....again  bubble  counts  were  difficult  to  control...and  pressure  went  to  zero  in  2  days....i  am  sure  that  the  tank  was  full  this  time  however  not  sure  why  its  getting  over  so  quickly  since  no  leakage  as  well.........

one  thing  i  noticed  is  that  when  the  pressure  goes  down  the  co2  smells  only  when  the  needle  valve  is  on.....if  its  closed  completely  the  smell  is  not  there....may  be  cos  its  dumping??  if  its  dumping  is  there  a  reason  apart  from  cylinder  being  empty?

my  cylinder  is  4.5kg....

appreciate  any  help  extended  !!!!
Aquaholic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:04 am Post subject: Re: Pressurize co2 quipment not working Reply with quote

Binesh,  Did  you  check  the  regulator  and  PU  tube  for  any  leaks?

Cheers

Vince
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:44 am Post subject: Re: Pressurize co2 quipment not working Reply with quote

Vince,

did  check  the  regulator....no  leakage...however  i  did  not  check  the  PU  tube  but  assume  that  lfs  did  that.....

if  there  would  be  a  PU  tube  leakage  it  should  happen  everytime  i  open  the  needle  valve...how  come  it  works  well  for  initial  days  and  then  starts  leaking/smelling?...i  doubt  of  any  leakage  from  PU  tube......

cheers,
 Binesh
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:14 pm Post subject: Re: Pressurize co2 quipment not working Reply with quote

Binesh,  The  Master  valve  on  the  top  of  the  cylinder  has  to  be  opened  fully.
 Check  out  this  very  old  article  if  you  haven't.
 Click  here
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:45 pm Post subject: Re: Pressurize co2 quipment not working Reply with quote

thanks  Trevor....I  did  read  this  thread  ...the  valve  i  have  leaks  if  half  open/half  closed...it  has  to  be  either  in  full  closed  or  full  open....and  it  is....not  sure  what  else  is  wrong...  Crying or Very sad  

cheers,
 Binesh
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:00 pm Post subject: Re: Pressurize co2 quipment not working Reply with quote

The  leak  is  probably  at  the  connectors  of  the  needle  valve,  or  the  knob  of  the  needle  valve.  Connect  the  PU  tubes  to  the  needle  valve  open  the  CO2  and  immerse  the  needle  valve  in  a  bucket  of  water.  depending  upon  where  the  gas  is  leaking  from  tighten  the  respective  nuts.  this  should  solve  your  problem.
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:48 pm Post subject: Re: Pressurize co2 quipment not working Reply with quote

thanks  preeths,  but  wondering  if  its  needle  valve  connector  or  something  associated  there  why  it  works  well  for  few  days  and  then  starts  leaking  when  the  pressure  of  the  cylinder  starts  to  drop  down?

cheers,
 Binesh
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:23 pm Post subject: Re: Pressurize co2 quipment not working Reply with quote

One  more  question,  are  you  using  teflon  tape  when  connecting  the  valve  to  the  cylinder  etc?  the  teflon  tape  is  used  to  make  the  joint  airtight.
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:30 pm Post subject: Re: Pressurize co2 quipment not working Reply with quote

Generally,  The  master  valve  dosent  leak  if  fully  open  or  fully  closed.  A  good  vlave  wont  leak  even  if  its  half  open.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:58 pm Post subject: Re: Pressurize co2 quipment not working Reply with quote

True  a  half  open  valve  may  not  leak.  But  a  fully  open  valve  will  never  leak  since  it  gets  its  proper  seating.

Likewise  Teflon  tape  was  never  used  on  brass  fittings  while  I  worked  abroad  with  threads  of  high  international  standards.  Smile
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:29 pm Post subject: Re: Pressurize co2 quipment not working Reply with quote

yes  Preeths  i  believe  there  is  kind  of  thread  used...quite  possible  teflon  being  used  to  tighten  the  valve  to  the  cylinder....will  that  be  an  issue?

cheers,
 Binesh
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:30 pm Post subject: Re: Pressurize co2 quipment not working Reply with quote

I  have  always  used  teflon  tape  on  all  joints  when  i  setup  my  CO2  system.  Its  just  an  extra  precaution  against  leaks.  its  very  cheap  and  found  in  all  hardware  stores.
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:02 pm Post subject: Re: Pressurize co2 quipment not working Reply with quote

i  am  expecting  it  to  be  fixed  and  get  it  back  tomorrow....will  update...
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:33 pm Post subject: Re: Pressurize co2 quipment not working Reply with quote

in  the  interest  of  everyone  -  

solution  -  master  valve  of  the  co2  cylinder  was  the  culprit.....now  i  do  not  get  the  partial  leakage  also  which  happens  when  valve  is  half  open/closed....

cheers,
 Binesh
aquasmart
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:03 pm Post subject: Re: Pressurize co2 quipment not working Reply with quote

becarefull  co2  is  a  killer  in  closed  spaces,keep  the  windows  open  till  the  problem  gets  over,
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: