181. Guest
182. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,748

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get an aq
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get an aq
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquafin
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:16 am Post subject: Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get an aq Reply with quote

Hi,

I  live  in  Delhi,  India  and  the  temperatures  are  very  extreme  here.  Summers  get  as  hot  as  40  deg  Celsius,  and  winters  get  2-3  deg  Celsius.  I  got  3  fishes  in  winters  and  soon  all  died,  not  sure  why.  
 Now,  my  situation  is  that  I  cannot  afford  an  AC/Cooler  for  summers  or  a  room  heater  for  winters.  Can  I  think  of  some  other  cheaper  set-ups,  or  may  I  consider,  fish  keeping  is  not  for  me???

Please  advise  if  I  should  still  plan  something...  obviously,  not  a  glass  tank,  but  some  plastic  set-ups...  with  oxygen/filter/aqua  heater  stuff...

Also,  which  breeds  can  be  bought  cheapest  possible.
random2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:20 am Post subject: Re: Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get a Reply with quote

Hi,  welcome  to  IAH.

You  can  use  tank  heater  during  winter  and  couple  of  CPU  fans  over  the  tank  during  summer.  There  are  quite  a  few  fellow  hobbyists  from  NCR  area  in  the  forum.  Im  sure  they  will  suggest  better.  One  thing  is  for  sure,  you  dont  have  to  give  up  your  hobby  Smile
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:30 am Post subject: Re: Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get a Reply with quote

Buy  a  good  heater  (with  a  thermostat)  for  winters  and  keep  the  hood  open  in  summers  with  water  being  well  aerated.  This  should  solve  your  problem.
aquafin
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:36 pm Post subject: Re: Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get a Reply with quote

A  glass  tank?
 How  about  a  plastic  tub?
 advise  below:

and  CPU  fans...  how  about  regular  motors  of  12V  or  something???

I  have  a  set-up  in  my  mind  costing  below  Rs  1500.

Fish  should  not  cost  me  anything  above  Rs  20-30/pair  for  small  gold  fishes,  Rs  60-90  for  Cichlids,  or  something.

Such  a  tub  should  be  Rs  200-300.  Water  heater   for  such  set-up  must  be  Rs300-400.  Filter  ....  I  don't  have  any  price  direction  on  this  from  the  Aquatics  shop  I  confirmed  the  rest  of  the  prices...

Pl  advice  if  I  missed  on  something...

Do  recommend  of  you  have  any  better  idea  for  this...
rezcraze
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:59 pm Post subject: Re: Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get a Reply with quote

I  live  at  chennai  and  i  have  had  issues  with  temperature  in  summer  especially  in  april/  may,  but  still  i  have  been  continuing  this  hobby.....when  there  is  a  challenge  we  gotta  beat  it  and  thats  is  what  that  keeps  the  aquarist  sprit  alive!

Raising  fishes  in  plastic  tubs  doesnt  sound  great  to  me......unless  u  already  have  enough  glass  tanks.  the  beauty  of  the  fishes  is  only  seen  in  glass  tanks.  Only  koi  fishes  would  look  good  in  tubs......but  they  would  grow  large  at  some  point  of  time  and  u  wudnt  be  able  to  manage  them.  maybe  if  you  are  sure  with  tubs........you  could  choose  a  cheap  gravel  like  riversand  and  try  some  simple  plants  like  vallisneria  along  with  guppies  and  mollies.  these  fishes  are  hardy,  fairly  good  looking  when  viewed  from  top  and  would  withstand  temeprature  extremities........even  if  they  die,  they  multiply  rapidly........try  and  get  a  6  feet  by  2  feet  tub  if  u  could  find.

I  completed  my  low  tech  planted  tank  for  less  than  3000  including  flora  and  fauna.

hope  this  helps.
ranj
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:33 pm Post subject: Re: Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get a Reply with quote

i  live  in  tamilnadu,  here  temperature  during  summer  will  me  more  than  40c  but  none  of  my  fish  died,  for  winter  alone  use  a  heater.dont  use  tubs...  use  a  glass  tank  so  that  it  will   be  nice  to  watch  your  fish  play.
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:16 am Post subject: Re: Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get a Reply with quote

Tubs  are  best  used  as  out  door  setups.  Its  not  something  you  keep  in  your  living  room/hall  etc.  there  is  no  point  investing  monesy  in  heaters,  cooling  fans  etc  for  an  out  door  setup  as  it  will  have  no  effect  on  the  water  temperature.  Tubs  are  best  suited  for  places  that  dont  have  a  large  temperature  difference  through  the  year.

Frankly  buy  a  small  glass  tank  you  can  keep  Indoors.
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 am Post subject: Re: Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get a Reply with quote

I  understand  your  aim  is  to  have  a  good  set  up  with  suitable  equipment  for  use  in  Delhi  for  less  than  Rs1500

1.  Aquarium:  Glass  Tank  V.  Plastic  Tub:   I  understand  your  enthusiasm  at  saving  costs  here,  but  without  a  good  "view"  of  your  fish,  you  will  not  be  as  happy  with  this  hobby  as  you  might  expect.  I  would  strongly  recommend  you  go  for  a  Glass  tank  (5-6mm)  of  the  maximum  size  that  can  fit  your  budget.  (My  guess  is  about  2.5  feet  x  1  feet  x  1  feet)

2.  Cover:  A  basic  aluminum  one  will  cost  about  300-400  depending  on  the  size  of  your  tank.  If  you  are  good  at  haggling  you  might  get  this  for  even  cheap.Alternatively,  you  can  skip  this  and  just  put  a  wire-mesh  cover  and  put  the  tank  under  the  ceiling  lights  in  the  room.

3.  Filter:  To  keep  the  cost  low,  go  for  a  simple  Chinese  made  Power-head+internal  filter  (you  can  get  this  for  about  300  or  less)

4.  Air-Pump:  You  can  potentially  skip  this  if  you  get  a  filter  with  that  attachment  which  also  draws  air  into  the  tank  (Else  a  really  basic  one  of  these  is  about  100-150)

5.  Heater:  A  good  quality  one  (Boyu)  will  set  you  back  about  300  buck...  You  can  get  a  cheap  one  for  100-150.  Before  you  decide  to  get  one  of  these,  please  settle  on  which  fish  you  plan  to  keep.  For  tropical  fish  you  might  need  a  heater  in  Delhi  winters.  For  Gold  Fish,  I  am  pretty  sure  you  can  do  without.

6.  Substrate:  This  is  not  really  required  for  anything  other  than  esthetics  so  you  can  skip  it  to  keep  costs  low.  Plus  it  will  make  getting  rid  of  wastes  in  the  tank  during  weekly  water-changes  really  easy.

7.  Fish:  I  understand  your  views  for  buying  Goldfish  for  20-40  bucks,  but  those  are  not  the  only  cheap  fish  available  in  the  market.  Hopefully  others  at  IAH  might  be  able  to  direct  you  better  in  this  aspect.  (The  one  cheap  fish  I  bought  in  that  range  was  a  Red-tailed  shark..  And,  in  my  opinion,  it  is  better  than  most  goldfish  in  most  aspects)

I  just  remembered  there  is  some  rule  on  IAH  regarding  quoting  prices..  I  don't  know  if  the  rough  guesstimates  above  qualify  as  "prices".  

Good  Luck,

Sid
aquafin
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:18 am Post subject: Re: Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get a Reply with quote

First  of  all,  I  thank  you  all  for  the  knowledge  and  advice  you  have  given  me...  You  can't  imagine  keeping  fishes  is  not  just  a  hobby-soon-to-be  for  me,  but  a  wish  I  always  had  since  childhood!  
 For  the  budget  and  time  constraints...  I  feel  its  not  a  very  hard  and  fast  rule  for  me,  except  that  I  do  have  lots  and  lots  of  other  expenses  that  shrinks  my  great  salary!  Leaving  me  with  just  what  a  student  normally  has  for  his  pocket  money!!!

I  have  got  several  observations  that  I  am  giving  below  with  ref  to  each  thread:

rezcraze  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  live  at  chennai  and  i  have  had  issues  with  temperature  in  summer  especially  in  april/  may,  but  still  i  have  been  continuing  this  hobby.....when  there  is  a  challenge  we  gotta  beat  it  and  thats  is  what  that  keeps  the  aquarist  sprit  alive!

Raising  fishes  in  plastic  tubs  doesnt  sound  great  to  me......unless  u  already  have  enough  glass  tanks.  the  beauty  of  the  fishes  is  only  seen  in  glass  tanks.  Only  koi  fishes  would  look  good  in  tubs......but  they  would  grow  large  at  some  point  of  time  and  u  wudnt  be  able  to  manage  them.  maybe  if  you  are  sure  with  tubs........you  could  choose  a  cheap  gravel  like  riversand  and  try  some  simple  plants  like  vallisneria  along  with  guppies  and  mollies.  these  fishes  are  hardy,  fairly  good  looking  when  viewed  from  top  and  would  withstand  temeprature  extremities........even  if  they  die,  they  multiply  rapidly........try  and  get  a  6  feet  by  2  feet  tub  if  u  could  find.

I  completed  my  low  tech  planted  tank  for  less  than  3000  including  flora  and  fauna.

hope  this  helps.                

rezcraze,  Appreciate  your  words!  And  for  the  tank  concerned,  I  will  definitely  buy  a  tank  large  enough  but  may  be  not  in  the  next  few  months  till  I  have  got  other  engagements...  Or  alternatively,  if  I  can  steal  a  deal  on  a  used  tank...
 And  as  for  the  size  of  the  tub,  The  size  you  said  is  simply  impossible  for  me  to  place  in  my  tiny  roof  top  room!  

Preeths  wrote  (View  Post):                
Tubs  are  best  used  as  out  door  setups.  Its  not  something  you  keep  in  your  living  room/hall  etc.  there  is  no  point  investing  monesy  in  heaters,  cooling  fans  etc  for  an  out  door  setup  as  it  will  have  no  effect  on  the  water  temperature.  Tubs  are  best  suited  for  places  that  dont  have  a  large  temperature  difference  through  the  year.

Frankly  buy  a  small  glass  tank  you  can  keep  Indoors.                

Preeths,  agreed,  but  that  will  definitely  not  be  a  permanent  set-up.  Keeping  a  tub  in  the  bedroom  corner,  with  covers  and  fans  attached  on  top  of  it  can  prove  to  be  not  just  a  DIY  aquarium,  but  may  be  a  TATA  NANO  in  aquatics!

ranj  wrote  (View  Post):                
i  live  in  tamilnadu,  here  temperature  during  summer  will  me  more  than  40c  but  none  of  my  fish  died,  for  winter  alone  use  a  heater.dont  use  tubs...  use  a  glass  tank  so  that  it  will   be  nice  to  watch  your  fish  play.                

ranj,  can  you  share  how  you  keep  your  room,  ie,  the  cooling  during  the  summers  and  heating  during  winters...  I  live  in  a  roof-top  home,  with  direct  contact  with  climate!

Sidrock  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  understand  your  aim  is  to  have  a  good  set  up  with  suitable  equipment  for  use  in  Delhi  for  less  than  Rs1500

1.  Aquarium:  Glass  Tank  V.  Plastic  Tub:   I  understand  your  enthusiasm  at  saving  costs  here,  but  without  a  good  "view"  of  your  fish,  you  will  not  be  as  happy  with  this  hobby  as  you  might  expect.  I  would  strongly  recommend  you  go  for  a  Glass  tank  (5-6mm)  of  the  maximum  size  that  can  fit  your  budget.  (My  guess  is  about  2.5  feet  x  1  feet  x  1  feet)

2.  Cover:  A  basic  aluminum  one  will  cost  about  300-400  depending  on  the  size  of  your  tank.  If  you  are  good  at  haggling  you  might  get  this  for  even  cheap.Alternatively,  you  can  skip  this  and  just  put  a  wire-mesh  cover  and  put  the  tank  under  the  ceiling  lights  in  the  room.

3.  Filter:  To  keep  the  cost  low,  go  for  a  simple  Chinese  made  Power-head+internal  filter  (you  can  get  this  for  about  300  or  less)

4.  Air-Pump:  You  can  potentially  skip  this  if  you  get  a  filter  with  that  attachment  which  also  draws  air  into  the  tank  (Else  a  really  basic  one  of  these  is  about  100-150)

5.  Heater:  A  good  quality  one  (Boyu)  will  set  you  back  about  300  buck...  You  can  get  a  cheap  one  for  100-150.  Before  you  decide  to  get  one  of  these,  please  settle  on  which  fish  you  plan  to  keep.  For  tropical  fish  you  might  need  a  heater  in  Delhi  winters.  For  Gold  Fish,  I  am  pretty  sure  you  can  do  without.

6.  Substrate:  This  is  not  really  required  for  anything  other  than  esthetics  so  you  can  skip  it  to  keep  costs  low.  Plus  it  will  make  getting  rid  of  wastes  in  the  tank  during  weekly  water-changes  really  easy.

7.  Fish:  I  understand  your  views  for  buying  Goldfish  for  20-40  bucks,  but  those  are  not  the  only  cheap  fish  available  in  the  market.  Hopefully  others  at  IAH  might  be  able  to  direct  you  better  in  this  aspect.  (The  one  cheap  fish  I  bought  in  that  range  was  a  Red-tailed  shark..  And,  in  my  opinion,  it  is  better  than  most  goldfish  in  most  aspects)

I  just  remembered  there  is  some  rule  on  IAH  regarding  quoting  prices..  I  don't  know  if  the  rough  guesstimates  above  qualify  as  "prices".  

Good  Luck,

Sid                

Sidrock,  simply  speaking,  you  made  me  feel  I  am  walking  on  the  right  track!  And  as  for  the  prices  you  suggested,  I  have  got  everything  in  my  mind,  however,  I  wish  to  buy  them  only  when  we  need  them  immediately,  as  I  just  said,  I  am  usually  very  tight  on  budget!
 And  hey,  whats  a  Red-tailed  shark?  I  never  heard  of  such  fish  before,  may  be  because  whenever  I  thought  of  aquarium,  I  felt  no  other  fish  can  be  bought  in  my  budget  other  than  Gold  Fish!
 And  lastly,  mods  please  excuse  us  if  any  rule  is  broken,  I  am  a  new  folk  here,  and  wish  to  have  fishes  at  my  place!
aquafin
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:58 am Post subject: Re: Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get a Reply with quote

Please  do  provide  some  more  details/advice,  I  am  still  looking  out  for  more  knowledge  on  this.
 And  just  one  more  thing,  the  temperature  around  here  is  8  deg  C.  Can  I  bring  fishes  with  this  planned  set-up,  or  should  I  wait  for  the  temperature  to  rise  a  bit?

After  all  the  knowledge  I  have  got  from  this  forum,  I  have  learned  about  breeds  more  than  just  the  regular  Gold  Fish,  Fighter  Fish  and  Tetras!  Do  advice  some  more  hardy  and  cheap  to  get  fishes.

and  a  hearty  thanks  to  all  those  who  have  advised  me  till  now  on  this  forum  Clapping   Clapping   Clapping
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:08 pm Post subject: Re: Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get a Reply with quote

1.  Other  relatively  Cheap  Fish  (known  to  me..Not  an  exhaustive  list  by  any  means):

1.1:  Red  Tailed  Shark:  http://www.petpig.com/fish/fish/Shark-Red-Tail.jpg
 I  got  one  of  these  (at  about  2  inches)  for  about  the  same  price  as  a  common  Goldfish.  Don't  get  two  of  these  if  your  tank  isn't  very  big  as  they  are  aggressive  towards  others  of  their  own  species.

1.2:  Silver  Shark:  http://www.petpig.com/fish/fish/Shark-BalaShark-Bala.jpg
 A  pair  of  these  (at  about  2  inches)  is  less  than  a  100  bucks.  However,  as  these  eventually  grow  to  a  very  large  size,  you  might  have  to  sell  them  or  give  them  away  or  get  a  bigger  tank  in  a  few  years.

1.3:  Guppies:  http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fFnKU403BBo/R1D0kXvvvKI/AAAAAAAACZM/fI-AbZRVNjQ/s1600-R/guppy%2Bstrains.jpg
 A  pair  of  these  is  usually  cheaper  than  the  cheapest  pair  of  goldfish.  Except  for  some  fancy  varieties  of  goldfish,  I  don't  think  the  common  ones  are  better  looking  than  a  tank  full  of  guppies.

1.4:  Gouramis:  (Three-spot/Gold/Blue  Gouramis  and  Pearl  Gouramis):  3-spot  gouramis  (and  their  color  morphs)  are  very  cheap..  The  "Gold  Gourami"  is  particularly  good  looking.   Pearl  Gouramis  cost  a  bit  more.  But  you  can  get  1-1.5  inch  ones  for  less  than  50  bucks.  (These  too  are  a  bit  aggressive)

These  are  the  ones  I  can  recollect  at  the  moment..  Maybe  some  of  the  guys  here  with  planted  set-ups  can  suggest  more  cheap  fish.

2.  Temperature  in  Delhi:

Do  the  temperature  fluctuations  of  that  range  happen  INDOORS  in  Delhi?  I  doubt  it.  So  even  if  the  temperature  outside  is  40  Deg  or  8  Deg,  the  temperature  indoor  would  not  be  that  extreme.  Even  if  it  is,  it  is  pretty  easy  to  maintain  relatively  comfortable  temperature  in  the  tank.  

For  summers,  leave  the  tank  lid  open  (or  covered  by  a  wire-mesh/net)  and  turn-up  the  air-pump.  The  aeration  should  prevent  the  water  temp  from  going  too  high.  Alternatively,  you  can  fill  a  plastic  bag  with  ice-cubes  and  drop  it  in  your  tank.

For  winters,  you  won't  have  problems  with  Goldfish  (even  at  8  deg).  If  you  can  get  a  cheap  heater  (for  about  100  bucks)  and  it  should  be  OK  as  long  as  you  don't  rely  on  the  thermostat  to  shut  it  down.  Or  maybe  (after  confirmation  from  other  experts  from  IAH),  you  can  fill  a  plastic  bag  with  warm/hot  water  and  drop  it  in  your  tank.

Alternatively,  you  can  move  to  Bombay  where  the  weather  is  much  better,  the  beaches  are  great  and  the  people  don't  drive  like  they  have  a  death-wish.  (  Chuckle  )

Cheers,
 Sid
pkattitude
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:46 pm Post subject: Re: Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get a Reply with quote

Hi  friends,

I  live  in  gurgaon  and  was  previously  living  in  Noida  (as  a  student).  Temperature  at  both  the  places  is  almost  the  same  as  in  Delhi.  I  had  the  same  budget  problem  initially...  But  i  could  not  live  without  fishes...  that  is  my  problem..  :)

Any  variety  of  fish  will  not  tolerate  the  extreme  temperatures  of  NCR  without  proper  aids.  Some  will  not  tolerate  the  heat  and  some  will  not  tolerate  the  cold.  But  GOLDFISH  will.  I  have  been  keeping  them  for  the  last  5  years  in  NCR  without  a  heater,  without  a  filter  and  without  fans.  All  you  need  to  have  is  an  air  pump  (that  comes  cheap  and  is  a  must)  and  frequent  water  changes  (its  almost  free  Smile  ).  To  my  surprise  i  never  felt  that  my  goldfishes  were  bothered  even  a  little  by  the  extremes  of  temperature.  

I  had  two  goldfishes  in  a  15  inch  x  12  x  12  aquarium  in  my  hostel.  The  only  aid  that  i  gave  them  was  a  air  pump.  Later  i  used  a  coke  bottle  and  made  a  DIY  filter  using  my  airpump..  it  worked  pretty  good.  I  did  frequent  water  changes...  say  every  second  or  third  day  and  never  had  a  problem.  

Now  i  am  working  and  a  bachelor  Smile  ,  so  dont  have  that  much  money  constraint  and  have  ventured  into  discuss  keeping  and  aquascaping.  But  still  i  keep  goldfishes.  I  have  a  pair  of  ranchu  goldfish  in  a  big  bowl...  with  just  a  airstone  and  airpump,  No  heater,  no  fan,  and  the  last  month  has  been  the  one  of  the  coldest  in  NCR.  And  they  have  faired  absolutely  well.  And  as  i  type  these  words  both  of  them  stand  at  the  rim  of  their  bowl  expecting  some  food.....  Very Happy  

And  to  add  to  the  fun  the  ranchus  are  a  breeding  pair  and  spawned  in  the  bowl  in  early  December..  However  the  eggs  were  all  over  the  place  and  i  had  to  discard  them...  Crying or Very sad  

When  it  comes  to  glass  vs  plastic...  i  would  say  nothing  beats  the  glass..

So,  dont  be  disheartened...  if  you  are  ok  with  goldfishes...  you  wont  have  any  problem  keeping  them..

Besides  this  is  an  absolutely  amazing  forum  and  you  will  get  all  the  good  advice  you  need  in  this  world  here..  I,  personally  am  in  love  with  it   Hearts
aquafin
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:37 pm Post subject: Re: Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get a Reply with quote

1.  Other  relatively  Cheap  Fish  (known  to  me..Not  an  exhaustive  list  by  any  means):

1.1:  Red  Tailed  Shark:  http://www.petpig.com/fish/fish/Shark-Red-Tail.jpg
 I  got  one  of  these  (at  about  2  inches)  for  about  the  same  price  as  a  common  Goldfish.  Don't  get  two  of  these  if  your  tank  isn't  very  big  as  they  are  aggressive  towards  others  of  their  own  species.

1.2:  Silver  Shark:  http://www.petpig.com/fish/fish/Shark-BalaShark-Bala.jpg
 A  pair  of  these  (at  about  2  inches)  is  less  than  a  100  bucks.  However,  as  these  eventually  grow  to  a  very  large  size,  you  might  have  to  sell  them  or  give  them  away  or  get  a  bigger  tank  in  a  few  years.

1.3:  Guppies:  http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fFnKU403BBo/R1D0kXvvvKI/AAAAAAAACZM/fI-AbZRVNjQ/s1600-R/guppy%2Bstrains.jpg
 A  pair  of  these  is  usually  cheaper  than  the  cheapest  pair  of  goldfish.  Except  for  some  fancy  varieties  of  goldfish,  I  don't  think  the  common  ones  are  better  looking  than  a  tank  full  of  guppies.

1.4:  Gouramis:  (Three-spot/Gold/Blue  Gouramis  and  Pearl  Gouramis):  3-spot  gouramis  (and  their  color  morphs)  are  very  cheap..  The  "Gold  Gourami"  is  particularly  good  looking.   Pearl  Gouramis  cost  a  bit  more.  But  you  can  get  1-1.5  inch  ones  for  less  than  50  bucks.  (These  too  are  a  bit  aggressive)

These  are  the  ones  I  can  recollect  at  the  moment..  Maybe  some  of  the  guys  here  with  planted  set-ups  can  suggest  more  cheap  fish.

2.  Temperature  in  Delhi:

Do  the  temperature  fluctuations  of  that  range  happen  INDOORS  in  Delhi?  I  doubt  it.  So  even  if  the  temperature  outside  is  40  Deg  or  8  Deg,  the  temperature  indoor  would  not  be  that  extreme.  Even  if  it  is,  it  is  pretty  easy  to  maintain  relatively  comfortable  temperature  in  the  tank.  

For  summers,  leave  the  tank  lid  open  (or  covered  by  a  wire-mesh/net)  and  turn-up  the  air-pump.  The  aeration  should  prevent  the  water  temp  from  going  too  high.  Alternatively,  you  can  fill  a  plastic  bag  with  ice-cubes  and  drop  it  in  your  tank.

For  winters,  you  won't  have  problems  with  Goldfish  (even  at  8  deg).  If  you  can  get  a  cheap  heater  (for  about  100  bucks)  and  it  should  be  OK  as  long  as  you  don't  rely  on  the  thermostat  to  shut  it  down.  Or  maybe  (after  confirmation  from  other  experts  from  IAH),  you  can  fill  a  plastic  bag  with  warm/hot  water  and  drop  it  in  your  tank.

Alternatively,  you  can  move  to  Bombay  where  the  weather  is  much  better,  the  beaches  are  great  and  the  people  don't  drive  like  they  have  a  death-wish.  (  Chuckle  )

Cheers,
 Sid                

Sid,
 Wish  I  could  have  relocated  to  Mumbai!
 Do  these  fishes  need  some  different  feeds?  I  have  got  Pallets  and  Blood  worms  that  I  had  bought  for  my  Gold  Fish  that  could'nt  even  last  for  a  month!
 May  I  use  the  same  feed  with  them?  Also,  with  new  fishes,  can  I  use  the  same  stones/pebbles  and  air  stone  or  had  these  also  got  affected  with  the  diseases  my  earlier  fishes  had  died?

And  tell  me  one  more  thing,  I  had  bought  a  Gold  Fish  in  1  bowl  and  2  tetras  in  another.  The  Gold  Fish  used  to  be  overfed  almost  each  day,  as  me  and  my  family  was'nt  aware  how  much  to  feed  them.  The  tetras  lasted  for  2weeks  and  I  never  saw  them  eating  the  blood  worms  or  pallets  I  dropped  in  their  bowls.
 With  all  these  3  fishes  one  common  thing  happened.  They  became  absolutely  motionless  a  night  before  they  died.  They  were  settled  at  the  bottom  of  the  tank  with  no  movements.  I  thought  thats  due  to  the  cold  weather.  What  can  be  the  reason???

Just  one  more  thing  to  be  added  to  this:  My  room  usually  is  full  of  Incense  smoke  nearly  12  hours  each  day.  Can  this  be  the  reason?
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:29 am Post subject: Re: Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get a Reply with quote

The  Red-tail  sharks  seem  to  prefer  sinking  food  (I  have  some  flake  food  which  sinks..  I  also  feed  them  shrimp  which  my  Arowana  doesn't  eat..so  it's  working  for  the  time  being).

The  rest  of  them  are  OK  which  pretty  much  the  usual  Blood  Worms  and  pellets.  

Gouramis  are  supposed  to  be  vegetarian  so  they  may  also  like  some  veggie  flakes  or  some  finely  chopped  leafy  veggies  (coriander,  cabbage  etc)...(My  Gouramis  eat  the  same  things  as  my  goldfish)

If  you're  using  any  of  the  old  equipment  (in  which  due  to  some  reason  all  fish  died),  I  would  recommend  washing  all  the  equipment  thoroughly  (don't  risk  using  any  soap)  and  drying  it  out  (in  the  sun).

I  don't  think  the  incense  smoke  is  the  cause  of  the  death  of  your  previous  fish.  It  may  have  to  do  with  the  fact  that  (contrary  to  popular  belief)  goldfish  can't  actually  survive  in  a  "bowl"..  (I  don't  think  tetras  can  either..)

Fish  need  a  colony  of  bacteria  in  the  system  to  convert  the  ammonia/nitrite  in  the  fish-poop  into  nitrate.  There  needs  to  be  a  complete  "nitrogen  cycle"  (<--search  for  this  on  IAH  or  on  the  web).  A  basic  requirement  for  the  Bacterial  colony  is  a  "media"  (this  can  be  the  sponge  in  your  filters  or  the  sand  at  the  tank  floor.).  If  your  fish-bowls  were  not  providing  enough  support  for  a  complete  "nitrogen  cycle"  eventually  the  poisonous  (for  the  fish)  substances  in  the  water  crossed  the  limit  which  the  fish  can  survive  and  they  died.

Fish  dying  quickly  in  a  newly  set-up  tank  is  called  the  "new  tank  syndrome"..  

Search  for  the  terms  used  above  and  Google  will  provide  more  answers...

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/biologicalcycle/a/nitrogencycle.htm

Cheers,

Sid
aquafin
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:01 am Post subject: Re: Need advise: Living in Extreme temperatures, may I get a Reply with quote

The  Red-tail  sharks  seem  to  prefer  sinking  food  (I  have  some  flake  food  which  sinks..  I  also  feed  them  shrimp  which  my  Arowana  doesn't  eat..so  it's  working  for  the  time  being).

The  rest  of  them  are  OK  which  pretty  much  the  usual  Blood  Worms  and  pellets.  

Gouramis  are  supposed  to  be  vegetarian  so  they  may  also  like  some  veggie  flakes  or  some  finely  chopped  leafy  veggies  (coriander,  cabbage  etc)...(My  Gouramis  eat  the  same  things  as  my  goldfish)

If  you're  using  any  of  the  old  equipment  (in  which  due  to  some  reason  all  fish  died),  I  would  recommend  washing  all  the  equipment  thoroughly  (don't  risk  using  any  soap)  and  drying  it  out  (in  the  sun).

I  don't  think  the  incense  smoke  is  the  cause  of  the  death  of  your  previous  fish.  It  may  have  to  do  with  the  fact  that  (contrary  to  popular  belief)  goldfish  can't  actually  survive  in  a  "bowl"..  (I  don't  think  tetras  can  either..)

Fish  need  a  colony  of  bacteria  in  the  system  to  convert  the  ammonia/nitrite  in  the  fish-poop  into  nitrate.  There  needs  to  be  a  complete  "nitrogen  cycle"  (<--search  for  this  on  IAH  or  on  the  web).  A  basic  requirement  for  the  Bacterial  colony  is  a  "media"  (this  can  be  the  sponge  in  your  filters  or  the  sand  at  the  tank  floor.).  If  your  fish-bowls  were  not  providing  enough  support  for  a  complete  "nitrogen  cycle"  eventually  the  poisonous  (for  the  fish)  substances  in  the  water  crossed  the  limit  which  the  fish  can  survive  and  they  died.

Fish  dying  quickly  in  a  newly  set-up  tank  is  called  the  "new  tank  syndrome"..  

Search  for  the  terms  used  above  and  Google  will  provide  more  answers...

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/biologicalcycle/a/nitrogencycle.htm

Cheers,

Sid                

Sid,

Can  the  airstone  and  tubes  be  cleaned  with  regular  chlorinated  tap  water  or  do  I  need  to  use  something  else?  And  just  1  more  thing,  why  did  the  fishes  settled  at  the  bottom  motionless  before  dying  and  floating  to  the  top?  They  did'nt  even  responded  to  bowl  movement.

Now  I  just  want  to  take  additional  precautions  before  I  get  a  lively  creature  home.  Fish  dying  so  easy  was  a  very  sad  and  drastic  experience  for  me!   Crying or Very sad  

I  want  to  make  sure  that  what  ever  breed  I  bring  home,  must  live  a  longer  life,  and  at  the  same  time  should  not  cost  a  bomb!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: