223. Guest
224. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,772

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My Zaire Blue Mobas
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My Zaire Blue Mobas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whitesnake
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:54 am Post subject: Re: My Zaire Blue Mobas Reply with quote

Hey  Kush,

What  are  you  feeding  them  right  now  I  have  jusr  brought  12  frontosa  which  i  collected  last  evening  my  tank  has  corral  sand  and  i  also  have  added  some  hiding  places  for  them  they  are  1"  in  size  

wanted  to  know  can  i  feed  the  them  beef  heart  mix  that  i  feed  my  discus  fish  please  advice  

regards,

clive
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:24 pm Post subject: Re: My Zaire Blue Mobas Reply with quote

Hi  Clive,

Thats  wonderful  and  I'm  so  happy  for  you  that  you  got  your  fronts.  

Clive  please  avoid  any  food  of  mamalian  origin  -  absolutely  no  Beef-Heart  etc  -  If  you  want  to  take  my  advice,  feed  them  just  NLS  for  some  time  and  then  start  supplementing  with  Frozen  Artemia,  Clean  and  Cultured  Earthworms,  Market  Prawns  and  White  Fish  meat  etc

As  you  might  already  know  -  it  is  best  to  feed  them  3  or  4  smaller  meals  everyday  than  1  or  2  large  meals,  atleast  till  they  grow  a  little..  I  have  found  this  is  to  be  specially  important  for  small  juvenile  frontosa,  as  this  is  the  time  when  you  can  help  them  develope  good  colors  and  proper  body  form.

Feeding  exclusively  NLS  (speccially  now)  will  help  your  darling  frontosas  to  attain  as  much  color  that  they  are  genetically  capable  of.  Please  also  note  that  good  color  and  body  form  will  also  depend  on  their  genes  (  that  is  if  they  are  from  a  good  and  clean  lineage  -  no  cross-breeding  /  in-breeding  etc  ),  apart  from  good  diet  and  proper  water  conditions...

Coral  sand  is  great  as  it  will  keep  the  pH  high  and  they  just  love  &  thrive  in  good  clean  alkaline  water  -  will  also  help  a  great  deal  when  your  colony  starts  to  breed...  Just  make  sure  that  you  observe  them  well  and  watch  out  if  the  sand  is  sharp  on  them  (  you  will  see  scratches  aroung  their  mouths  if  this  is  the  case  )

Hope  this  helps  -  I'm  really  so  happy  for  you  from  the  heart  and  I  promise  you'll  enjoy  keep  the  "True  Kings  of  the  Lake  Tanganyika"

All  the  best  my  friend  and  please  give  them  a  great  life...
Whitesnake
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:35 pm Post subject: Re: My Zaire Blue Mobas Reply with quote

Hey  Thanks  What  is  NLS  and  wher  can  i  buy  it  from  please  help  

regards,

clive
Mephitis
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:40 pm Post subject: Re: My Zaire Blue Mobas Reply with quote

Whitesnake  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hey  Thanks  What  is  NLS  and  wher  can  i  buy  it  from  please  help  

regards,

clive                

New  Life  Spectrum

You  can  visit  MadOverFish  if  you  want  to  buy  NLS  feed  in  Bombay.

Regards,
 Rohan.
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:56 pm Post subject: Re: My Zaire Blue Mobas Reply with quote

Yes  you  can  get  it  from  Vivek  (  http://www.madoverfish.com/  )

Very  economical  and  he  is  a  great  &  friendly  guy...

After  your  fronts  grow  a  little  (  say  about  5  inches  )  you  can  also  start  varying  the  diet  with  a  high  amounts  of  spirulina  containing  Dainichi  or  Hikari  feed  -  to  maintain  and  enhance  the  blue  &  black  pigments..  

Also  want  to  say  that  your  fronts  will  look  paler  and  more  lighter  wiith  a  bright  /  white  substrate  -  its  like  -  if  you  want  them  to  have  that  whitish  overall  color  goo  for  a  bright  /  light  substarte  and  if  you  want  them  to  look  darker  and  more  contrasting,  go  for  a  darker  susbtrate  and  background.

It  also  helps  if  you  can  cover  the  sides  of  the  tank  -  may  be  you  cann  paint  the  back  and  2  side  glasses  with  black  paint  -  really  helps  with  fronts  as  they  are  a  very  shy  &  timid  species  and  doing  this  will  help  make  them  feel  secured  and  show  themselves  better...

This  shy  and  timid  nature  of  the  frontosa  is  what  makes  a  lot  of  people  think  that  they  are  a  boring  fish,  but  to  me  they  are  the  "True  Kings"  and  are  the  most  interesting  fish  one  can  evver  keep  and  observe...

Another  very  important  thing  is  to  keep  the  lights  low  -  very  important...
Whitesnake
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:07 am Post subject: Re: My Zaire Blue Mobas Reply with quote

thanks  sir  I  have  spoken  to  Vivek  i  have  also  met  him  today  in  the  afternoon  and  have  collected  some  food  for  them  from  him  

thanks
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:57 am Post subject: Re: My Zaire Blue Mobas Reply with quote

No  Problems  Clive  -  I'm  glad  you  could  meet  Vivek  and  that  you  now  have  NLS  for  your  fronts...  Happy  to  be  of  any  help...
Whitesnake
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:10 am Post subject: Re: My Zaire Blue Mobas Reply with quote

Hey  Kush,

This  may  sound  stupid  but  I  will  still  ask  you  this  question?

Well  I  know  in  a  hurry  I  have  made  a  mistake  that  is  I  have  put  corral  sand  at  my  base  in  the  tank  I  have  a  2217  canister  filter  running.

My  question  is  

Should  I  have  a  black  Background?
 Should  I  add  another  filter  in  the  tank?
 Now  that  I  have  already  added  corral  sand  as  my  base  will  it  effect  the  color  of  fornts  ?
 I  have  a  submersible  blue  light  that  I  keep  on  in  the  tank  it  gives  a  very  dark  moonlight  effect  is  this  ok  or  would  you  recommend  any  light  that  I  need  to  add  in  the  tank

As  of  now  there  is  no  rock  which  rock  should  I  put  in  the  tank?

Please  help
 Regards,

Clive  
kulsdood
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:45 am Post subject: Re: My Zaire Blue Mobas Reply with quote

Hey  Clive,

Here  is  what  you  could  do:

Should  I  have  a  black  Background?  ---  Yes,  will  make  fronts  feel  and  look  better  &  safe

Should  I  add  another  filter  in  the  tank?  --  since  you  have  only  12  small  fronts,  1  no.  of  2217  is  fine  for  now..  you  can  add  another  after  3  months

Now  that  I  have  already  added  corral  sand  as  my  base  will  it  effect  the  color  of  fornts  ?  ---  substrate  never  affects  the  actual  colour  of  fronts..  what  I  mean  is  their  genetic  colours  dont  change...  since  you  purchased  such  a  huge  quantity  of  coral  sand,  let  it  be  that  way...  people  love  to  change  decor  of  their  tanks,  and  so  will  you...  At  the  moment  the  fish  will  not  display  the  dark  contrast  till  the  time  it  remains  on  a  lighter  substrate..  but  that  shouldnt  be  a  problem...  whenever  you  change  your  substrate,  you  can  add  coral  sand  to  your  2nd  ehiem  whenever  you  get  it..  that  will  help  buffer  the  water...  you  can  put  the  sieved  black  sand  which  is  available  for  free  all  over  bombay...  or  you  can  add  pool  filter  sand...  you  can  get  this  sand  with  people  who  setup  swimming  pools  in  building  complexes...  ask  a  good  builder/contractor..  again  free  of  cost  Smile  At  that  moment  you  will  love  the  colour  of  your  fronts..  by  that  time  (3  months)  NLS  would  have  had  its  complete  effect  as  well...

I  have  a  submersible  blue  light  that  I  keep  on  in  the  tank  it  gives  a  very  dark  moonlight  effect  is  this  ok  or  would  you  recommend  any  light  that  I  need  to  add  in  the  tank   ---  What  I  use  is  a  50-50  combination...  that  means  a  6500K  or  a  8000K  Philips  trulite  or  Osram  sky  white  light  +  25000K  Azoo  coral  blue  light...  the  25000K  blue  light  is  extremely  important,  it  makes  your  tank  feel  deeper,  just  imitating  the  natural  place  where  fronts  are  found..and  brings  out  the  blue  really  well.....you  can  get  this  azoo  light  at  Nautilius...

As  of  now  there  is  no  rock  which  rock  should  I  put  in  the  tank?  ---  Like  i  suggested  yesterday  there  is  no  need  to  put  any  rocks  in  your  6  feeter...  if  you  provide  hiding  place  to  fronts  when  they  grow,  (or  any  other  cichlid)..  they  grow  as  shy  individuals...  .and  burundi  is  anyway  shy  compared  to  others  ...  so  you  will  get  bored  --  if  not  you  your  family  or  friends  when  they  go  near  the  tank  and  the  fronts  disappear...   Anyway  to  answer  your  question..  you  can  put  few  big  size  rocks...  best  place  to  get  them?  Kashid..  go  slightly  closer  to  the  cliff  of  the  sea...  awesome  aquascaping  rocks  of  ALL  sizes...  I  got  them  for  myself  and  somebody  snatched  them  from  me  before  I  could  use  it  myself...  again  free  of  cost...  Smile  ---  ofcourse  the  time/fuel  to  drive  down...
Whitesnake
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:55 am Post subject: Re: My Zaire Blue Mobas Reply with quote

Hey,

thanks  for  your  reply  I  will  visit  Nautilius  today  and  get  the  lights  

Thanks  

Clive
Whitesnake
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:34 pm Post subject: Re: My Zaire Blue Mobas Reply with quote

Hey  Vivek  ,

can  you  recomend  any  forum  where  i  can  get  some  know;edge  on  how  to  keep  and  maintan  Fronts

regads,

Clive
mitra-hyderabad
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:18 am Post subject: Re: My Zaire Blue Mobas Reply with quote

You  can  visit  www.cyphos.com  and  www.frontosa.com.  These  are  the  sites  dedicated  to  cyphos.
Whitesnake
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:24 pm Post subject: Re: My Zaire Blue Mobas Reply with quote

Hey  Kush,

I  am  sorry  for  writing  on  your  thread  or  rather  capturing  it  

Hey  I  am  very  eager  to  know  what  happened  to  the  Fish  that  you  imported  

Do  let  me  know  please.

Regards,

Clive  D
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:57 pm Post subject: Re: My Zaire Blue Mobas Reply with quote

No  problems  at  all  Clive  -  please  feel  free  to  use  the  thread  as  I'm  really  happy  that  you  are  so  passionate  about  the  frontosa.  If  I  may  say  this,  I  appreciate  the  fact  that  you  are  trying  to  learn  everything  about  the  fish  that  you  keep...

Will  keep  you  updated  regarding  my  new  fish...

Thanks  again  Clive,
 Take  care  and  Have  a  Wonderful  day  !
 Regards  and  Care
 Kush
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:27 pm Post subject: Re: My Zaire Blue Mobas Reply with quote

Chinkz,  I  share  your  concern.  Please  update  as  soon  as  possible.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: