216. Guest
217. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,802

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunracesuraj
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:06 pm Post subject: Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank Reply with quote

Hello  Guys,
 I  have  started  planted  24x16x42”  fresh  water  tank  3  months  ago.  I  have  20  Neon  Tetras,  6  Widow  Tetras,  6  Rami  Nose,  3  Red  Tail  Sharks,  2  Chinese  Algae  Eaters,  3  Endler  Guppies  and  12  Angel  Fish.  Not  sure  if  this  is  over  crowding  –  your  opinion  is  welcome.  I  have  “Hemianthus  callitrichoides”  one  pot  which  is  not  growing  beyond  its  original  3x3”  size,  few  low  light  plants  –  I  don’t  know  their  names  as  the  guy  who  build  this  tank  had  put  them  in  and  he  also  does  not  know  the  names  of  them.  The  Substrate  is  brown  sand  with  fertilizer  added  below  it.
 Now  I  have  two  issues  –  I  have  GSA  and  SGA  issue  almost  every  week.  I  am  suspecting  that  is  due  to  the  sand  which  was  given  to  me  was  being  used  already  and  had  Algae  in  it  –  additionally  the  fertilizers  given  to  me  were  of  bad  quality  which  is  boosting  the  algae  growth.  I  keep  cleaning  that  tank  walls  almost  every  day  with  cotton  and  do  10%  water  change  immediately.   Second  issue  is  plant  growth.  The  guy  had  given  me  normal  Philips  FLs,  4  of  them  with  no  ventilation.  After  reading  here  and  there  I  figured  I  need  10000K  Azoo  –  immediately  got  4  of  them  and  added  a  ventilation  fan  as  well  to  keep  the  temperature  at  28C.  I  am  not  sure  it  has  helped  for  plant  growth  or  reducing  algae  –  it’s  just  been  20  days  I  have  changed  lights  so  maybe  I  need  to  wait  more  or  so  –  again  not  sure.  I  have  tried  Azoo  CO2  tablets  as  well  but  I  lost  1  Red  Tail  Shark  and  2  Chinese  Algae  eaters  so  stopped  it  –  used  to  add  2  of  them  after  1  hour  of  switching  on  the  lights.  My  filter  is  Eheim  2213  with  MECH,  BIO,  Cotton  and  Azoo  PH  6.8  Algae  Away  filter  Media  with  the  Blue  Nylon  separating  all  of  these.  Water  is  normally  crystal  clear  till  the  time  I  feed  the  fish  with  Azoo  9  in  1  Micro  Pallets.  After  feeding  the  fish  I  normally  do  10%  water  change  and  add  white  de-chlorinator  like  10  to  20  drops.  This  has  been  my  usual  routing  till  now.
 Now  I  need  to  know  what  I  need  to  do  get  my  tank  to  look  like  this  –  http://www.adaindia.in/images/Galleries/Large/foto_10_2007.jpg  or  like  this  http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/5/aquarium.  There  are  few  equipments  mentioned  there  but  not  sure  where  do  I  get  them  in  Mumbai.
 I  need  to  know  what  the  best  equipment,  food,  and  additives  I  need  to  achieve  that.  Will  getting  rivers  osmosis  plant  help  to  better  the  water  quality  and  remove  algae  and  increase  the  plant  growth  as  well?
 Have  a  look  at  my  tank  here  –  http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Album?uid=9376909950713529761&aid=1263903255
marshalmaveric
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:15 am Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank Reply with quote

After  reading  your  post  ALL  that  came  to  my  mind  is  that  you  hurrying  into  the  hobby...which  is  not  really  possible..The  first  principle  in  making  a  good  healthy  planted  aquarium  is  patience  and  research  lots  and  lots  of  it..Been  here  @IAH  for  the  past  5  months  only  reading  up  posts  after  posts  after  posts......still  loving  the  amount  of  wealth  of  info  and  friendliness  of  the  members  who  help  me  get  solved  on  issues..

But  yes  on  the  other  hand  the  tank  looks  really  promising.It  seems  you  dont  have  constraint  to  the  amount  being  spend  here(I  don't  mean  you  are  a  spendthrift  in  anyway...  but  from  the  huge  LCD  screen:drool:  I  guess  you  can  loose  you  wallet  a  little...lol...  Chuckle  ).  To  add  a  few  things  like  a  Co2  cylinder  and  ADA  soils(just  google  it  or  search  on  IAH)These  soils  are  rich  in  nutrients  and  dont  let  the  build  up  of  H2S  gas  from  organic  demoposition  in  the  substrate...as  for  Co2...  plants  needs  Co2  to  grow...Azoo  tablets  are  handy  and  easy  to  handle  but  some  times  you  really  do  not  know  how  they  react  and  stuff..So  its  better  you  change  to  Co2  Cylinder..comes  out  cheaper  in  the  longer  run....and  plants  like  Hemianthus  callitrichoides  need  lot  of  light...maybe  3-4  wpg  or  may  be  more..Guru's  please  comment...and  When  you  add  light  you  need  ferts  to  keep  everything  in  balanced  otherwise  the  algae  attacks  will  be  quite  often..What  is  the  brand  of  the  ferts  you  use?...maybe  someone  here  uses's  that  brand  and  can  help  you  better...Dosing  of  ferts  is  also  dependant  on  the  requierments  of  the  tank...

Please  update  your  location  so  that  people  can  help  you  better..Guessing  it  is  in  Mumbai  where  the  water  is  soft  you  dont  really  need  an  RO  system..guess  you  could  do  without  it...

And  yes  I  am  jst  a  begginer  any  shortcomings  on  the  reply...be  excused..

Rgrds,
 Arjun
sunracesuraj
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:49 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank Reply with quote

I  am  still  reading  but  what  I  thought  was  may  be  redoing  the  whole  thing  is  going  to  make  more  sense.  I  have  decided  go  and  buy  following  –  Spoke  to  ADA  guys  and  they  recommended  this…Let  me  know  thoughts  on  this….

Be  Green  140-303,  200ml  
 Brighty-K  103-021  500ml
 Aqua  Soil-Amazonia  II  104-020/9liter  x  4  
 Power  Sand  Special  M  104-012/6liter   x  1

pH  Kit  –  I  decided  
 Ammonia  Alert  –  I  decided
 Aquatronica  pH  probe  –  I  decided
 Water  Level  Sensor  –  I  decided
 Seachem.  Purigen  –  I  decided
 Loads  of  Plants  from  day  one  so  they  will  not  leave  anything  for  Algae  to  grow.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:02 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank Reply with quote

UGHHHH  Achtung  Baby....  so  muuuuuccccchhhh  of  writing  maaannn....  Sad
drug
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:02 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank Reply with quote

sunracesuraj  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  have  20  Neon  Tetras,  6  Widow  Tetras,  6  Rami  Nose,  3  Red  Tail  Sharks,  2  Chinese  Algae  Eaters,  3  Endler  Guppies  and  12  Angel  Fish.  Not  sure  if  this  is  over  crowding                  

Depends  on  how  big  the  Angels  are

After  reading  here  and  there  I  figured  I  need  10000K  Azoo                

Dont  read  here  and  there.  Read  somewhere  where  there  is  quality  information  {For  example  IAH}  Smile  .  Most  of  us  on  the  forum  grow  our  plants  with  6500K  bulbs.  There  are  few  advanced  plant  guys  who  mix  spectrums,  But  i  dont  think  that  using  10,000K  alone  gives  you  any  major  advantage.

I  am  suspecting  that  is  due  to  the  sand  which  was  given  to  me  was  being  used  already  and  had  Algae  in  it                  

Even  if  the  substrate  contained  algae  they  wouldn't  grow  much  unless  they  liked  your  tank  conditions.  So  you  need  to  find  out  where  the  imbalance  lies  and  correct  it.

I  have  tried  Azoo  CO2  tablets  as  well                  

Does  Azoo  recommend  them  for  large  tanks?  I  am  not  sure  that  they  will  suffice  for  a  large  tank.

My  filter  is  Eheim  2213  with  MECH,  BIO,  Cotton  and  Azoo  PH  6.8  Algae  Away  filter  Media  with  the  Blue  Nylon  separating  all  of  these.                  

I  know  that  Eheim  website  suggests  2213  for  250L  tanks,  but  I  think  most  people  here  would  use  a  little  more  filtration  than  that.

pH  Kit  –  I  decided  

You  seems  to  have  decided  to  spend  a  fair  amount  of  money  after  a  short  span  of  thinking.  Please  give  it  some  more  time.
 While  they  are  excellent  choices  The  ADA  soils  and  fertilizers  alone  will  not  work  wonders.
 You  seems  to  have  missed  out  on  the  CO2  completely.  At  your  tank  size  you  will  need  a  pressurized  CO2  setup.
 Yet  another  thing  that  is  importantis  the  lights;  How  many  watts  of  lights  do  you  have  over  the  70  Gallons  now?

pH  Kit  –  I  decided  

And  while  on  the  subject  of  test  kits  please  take  a  look  at  this  old  thread   http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12438&highlight=test

I  am  still  reading                  

That  is  is  excellent,  keep  on  reading.  Please  go  through  Trevor's  Jumpstart  series  {stickies}  and  the  other  stuff  on  the  planted  tank  forum.  Thirtha  has  a  couple  of  good  Journals  that  would  give  you  blow  by  blow  accounts  of  how  a  planted  tank  develops.  And  while  you  are  at  it  Nayak's  reminiscences  is  a  good  thread  to  read,  it  gives  you  a  whole  new  perspective  on  effort  and  patience  in  fish  keeping.   

Loads  of  Plants  from  day  one                  

Other  than  the  fish  tank  that's  your  only  purchase  decision  that  I  agree  with  100%
sunracesuraj
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:49 am Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  analysis  Unni...

drug  wrote  (View  Post):                

I  have  20  Neon  Tetras,  6  Widow  Tetras,  6  Rami  Nose,  3  Red  Tail  Sharks,  2  Chinese  Algae  Eaters,  3  Endler  Guppies  and  12  Angel  Fish.  Not  sure  if  this  is  over  crowding                  

Depends  on  how  big  the  Angels  are

They  are  4  weeks  old.

After  reading  here  and  there  I  figured  I  need  10000K  Azoo                

Dont  read  here  and  there.  Read  somewhere  where  there  is  quality  information  {For  example  IAH}  Smile  .  Most  of  us  on  the  forum  grow  our  plants  with  6500K  bulbs.  There  are  few  advanced  plant  guys  who  mix  spectrums,  But  i  dont  think  that  using  10,000K  alone  gives  you  any  major  advantage.

I  forgot  to  mention  that  10,000K  were  advised  by  Mr.  Mathew  from  http://www.nautilusaquasystems.com/  as  well.  So  thought  why  not  give  it  a  try  as  according  to  this  I  should  start  at  lights  first.

I  am  suspecting  that  is  due  to  the  sand  which  was  given  to  me  was  being  used  already  and  had  Algae  in  it                  

Even  if  the  substrate  contained  algae  they  wouldn't  grow  much  unless  they  liked  your  tank  conditions.  So  you  need  to  find  out  where  the  imbalance  lies  and  correct  it.

Which  parameters  do  I  need  to  keep  checking  so  that  I  know  what  is  right  or  what  is  wrong?

I  have  tried  Azoo  CO2  tablets  as  well                  

Does  Azoo  recommend  them  for  large  tanks?  I  am  not  sure  that  they  will  suffice  for  a  large  tank.

These  were  recom.  by  a  guy  in  hong  kong  where  I  bought  CUBA  as  he  said  without  that  CUBA  will  take  ages  to  grown  or  might  just  die  away.

My  filter  is  Eheim  2213  with  MECH,  BIO,  Cotton  and  Azoo  PH  6.8  Algae  Away  filter  Media  with  the  Blue  Nylon  separating  all  of  these.                  

I  know  that  Eheim  website  suggests  2213  for  250L  tanks,  but  I  think  most  people  here  would  use  a  little  more  filtration  than  that.

I  agree  with  this...  Always  thought  I  need  more  filteration.  Looking  for  another  powerful  but  compact  filter  so  that  I  can  keep  it  hidden  as  current  and  it  will  do  job  too...

pH  Kit  –  I  decided  

You  seems  to  have  decided  to  spend  a  fair  amount  of  money  after  a  short  span  of  thinking.  Please  give  it  some  more  time.
 While  they  are  excellent  choices  The  ADA  soils  and  fertilizers  alone  will  not  work  wonders.
 You  seems  to  have  missed  out  on  the  CO2  completely.  At  your  tank  size  you  will  need  a  pressurized  CO2  setup.
 Yet  another  thing  that  is  importantis  the  lights;  How  many  watts  of  lights  do  you  have  over  the  70  Gallons  now?

I  want  to  install  CO2  -  looking  for  right  kit  which  is  value  for  money  and  of  good  quality  as  well  -  how  about  this  http://www.adaindia.in/CO2%20Advance%20System.html  or  is  there  anything  better  ?  

The  lights  are  4  in  number  and  36W.

pH  Kit  –  I  decided  

And  while  on  the  subject  of  test  kits  please  take  a  look  at  this  old  thread   http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12438&highlight=test

Sure  thing  as  thats  the  thing  I  can  do  right  now  :)

I  am  still  reading                  

That  is  is  excellent,  keep  on  reading.  Please  go  through  Trevor's  Jumpstart  series  {stickies}  and  the  other  stuff  on  the  planted  tank  forum.  Thirtha  has  a  couple  of  good  Journals  that  would  give  you  blow  by  blow  accounts  of  how  a  planted  tank  develops.  And  while  you  are  at  it  Nayak's  reminiscences  is  a  good  thread  to  read,  it  gives  you  a  whole  new  perspective  on  effort  and  patience  in  fish  keeping.   

Loads  of  Plants  from  day  one                  

Other  than  the  fish  tank  that's  your  only  purchase  decision  that  I  agree  with  100%                

Alright...  I  am  going  to  get  some  plants...I  have  the  list  of  them  from  http://www.nautilusaquasystems.com/....And  wait...

I  saw  Algae  growing  again  on  Glass  so  I  have  cleaning  work  over  the  week  end.  I  dont  know  how  does  Azoo  proclaim  this?  Nothing  doing  for  a  year?  And  it  just  keeps  on  going?
 http://www.azoo.com.tw/azoo_en/desk/index.html
sawantamey
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:59 am Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank Reply with quote

@sunracesuraj   -  where  do  u  stay  ???  i  stay  in  borivali
 i  also  want  chinese  algae  eater  .....tell  me  where  can  i  find  it  .....i  also  have  lot  of  algae  to  be  cleared
raushy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:58 am Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank Reply with quote

Reading.........Reading..........Reading  Wall Bang  .
sunracesuraj
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:17 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank Reply with quote

sawantamey  wrote  (View  Post):                
@sunracesuraj   -  where  do  u  stay  ???  i  stay  in  borivali
 i  also  want  chinese  algae  eater  .....tell  me  where  can  i  find  it  .....i  also  have  lot  of  algae  to  be  cleared                

I  stay  at  Gorai  2  Borivali  West...  I  got  the  Chinese  Alage  Eaters  from  my  fish  tank  guy...  let  me  know  if  you  want  his  number...  But  I  would  suggest  you  get  these  -  http://www.otocinclus.com/index.html  

I  keep  scrubing  my  tank  almost  every  day  with  10%  water  change  every  night.  Infact  I  just  did  finish  quick  scrubing...
gi10
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:58 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Suraj,

Just  checked  your  tanks  pics  and  read  the  entire  post.  U  did  excatly  what  I  did  and  as  Arjun  mentioned,  rushed  in.  I'm  sure  u  would  get  a  lot  of  expert  advice  here.  I  was  adviced  to  speak  one  of  the  LFS  guy  who  seems  to  be  well  aware  of  planted  tanks  in  mumbai.  Next  week  my  tank  goes  for  a  change,  just  the  substract  and  the  river  sand  and  the  filter,  after  5  to  6  days  the  plants  will  be  set  in  and  almost  after  a  month  the  fishes  will  go  in.  (just  felt  like  sharing  this  info)

Also  I  know  this  is  out  of  the  topic,  but  your  fishes  are  not  neon  tetras,  they  are  Cardinals.  Searpe  Tetras  are  fin  nibblers,  your  cardinals  will  have  threat  from  all  the  other  fishes  that  you  have,  even  red  tail  shark.  It  may  not  happen  soon  but  will  follow  over  a  period  of  time.  I  got  to  know  of  it  late,  loosing  4  pairs  of  Cardinals.

Anywaz,  all  the  best  for  your  tank  and  hope  to  see  more  pics  of  your  tank  in  future.

Cheers
 Jiten
sawantamey
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:00 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank Reply with quote

private  message  (PM)   me  his  no  ............and  tell  me  where  can  i  get  such  breed  u  sent  me   a  link  ????
sunracesuraj
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:45 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank Reply with quote

@gi10...Yup  agree  with  you  and  every  one  else  here....today  I  got  some  more  plants  and  two  internal  filters....  one  with  blue  sponge  and  another  with  black  nylon  mesh  inside.  Hoping  they  might  help  to  keep  the  particles  away...

I  am  just  going  to  keep  on  adding  as  many  plants  possible  and  see  how  it  goes.  Won’t  do  anything  else  other  than  monitoring  for  some  time  now...

By  the  way...any  idea  where  I  can  get  Seachem  products  in  Mumbai?
sunracesuraj
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:48 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank Reply with quote

@sawantamey

http://www.nautilusaquasystems.com/  call  them  and  check  for  availability  of  anything  you  need...  just  and  pick  it  up...there  are  @  Bandra  West  oppt  The  Lake....
sunracesuraj
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:54 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank Reply with quote

It  has  been  good  week  end  -  Added  another  plumbing  so  that  I  don’t  need  any  siphon  pipes  any  more  and  no  water  spillage  while  removing  or  adding  water  to  the  tank  –  and  no  sucking  Razz  hehehe…  nice  tap  on  tap  off  system  and  water  refill  done.  Got  some  Plant  Magic  fertilizer  from  Nautilus  and  Azoo  Carbon  –  hoping  it  will  give  some  boost  to  the  very  very  slow  growing  Cuba…

Haven’t  had  any  major  change  –  all  is  well.

Any  idea  where  I  can  get  Oto  Algae  Eater?  -  Mumbai

Does  any  one  need  12  Angels  and  6  Black  Widow  Tetras?  -  Mumbai
sunracesuraj
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:46 pm Post subject: Re: Help Needed - Planted Freshwater Tank Reply with quote

Plants  and  More  Plants...  check  this  out...  http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#AlbumZoom?uid=9376909950713529761&pid=1269772576156&aid=1263903255$pid=1269772576156
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: