95. Guest
96. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,813

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Stocking calculator !!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Stocking calculator !!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itsmesuraj
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:02 pm Post subject: Stocking calculator !! Reply with quote

Hello  all,
                  I  came  across  this  site  which  is  pretty  accurate  with  Fish  stock  calculation  for  a  tank.  Fill  out  the  details  and  see  if  your  tank  is  under/over  stocked.  All  credit  to  this  chap  from  Canada.  

www.aqadvisor.com  -  Online  Aquarium  Stocking  Calculator

Hope  u  guys  like  it....

Cheers,
 Suraj
vidhyasagar99
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:26 pm Post subject: Re: Stocking calculator !! Reply with quote

thanks  mate,  but  what  about  water  plants
Dabbu3288
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:45 pm Post subject: Re: Stocking calculator !! Reply with quote

Wonderful  link!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yhbae
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:24 am Post subject: Re: Stocking calculator !! Reply with quote

Hi  guys,

I  am  the  chap  from  Canada  -  Toronto  to  be  exact.   Smile  

I  am  here  to  listen  to  any  suggestions  and  feedback.  If  you  own  and  see  any  missing  species,  please  let  me  know.  If  you  see  any  results  that  you  don't  agree  with,  please  let  me  know  as  well  -  I  will  look  into  it.  I'd  like  the  tool  to  report  as  accurate  result  as  it  can.   Smile  

As  for  the  plants,  I  have  been  thinking  about  it  -  the  only  issue  is  that  I  really  have  no  good  idea  in  terms  of  how  to  let  user  enter  their  plants  -  go  by  strands?  by  weight?  by  volume?  They  all  seem  less  than  ideal.  I  am  open  to  suggestions.
Bratish
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:07 am Post subject: Re: Stocking calculator !! Reply with quote

This  is  really  helpful.  It  is  very  good.
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:58 am Post subject: Re: Stocking calculator !! Reply with quote

Good  one!
 But  you  haven't  taken  water  changes  into  consideration.   Probably  that's  one  of  the  most  important  factors  w.r.t  stocking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yhbae
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:36 pm Post subject: Re: Stocking calculator !! Reply with quote

Thanks  guys.   Smile  

As  for  the  water  changes  -  the  app  does  recommend  %  of  water  changes  that  should  be  done  for  the  given  setup.
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:09 pm Post subject: Re: Stocking calculator !! Reply with quote

yhbae  wrote  (View  Post):                

As  for  the  water  changes  -  the  app  does  recommend  %  of  water  changes  that  should  be  done  for  the  given  setup.                

The  calculation  would  be  even  more  practical  &  accurate  if  WC  is  taken  into  consideration  WRT  the  fish.   For  eg,  a  juv  discus  would  need  a  daily  WC,  whereas  a  snakehead  can  do  with  a  30%  change  every  month  and  a  Noble  gourami  might  require  10%-15%  twice  a  week.   And  not  to  mention,  a  hobbyist  who's  ready  to  double  his  WC  schedule,  can  almost  double  the  stocking  as  well  for  certain  family  of  fishes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yhbae
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:13 pm Post subject: Re: Stocking calculator !! Reply with quote

madhu_ulysses  wrote  (View  Post):                

yhbae  wrote  (View  Post):                

The  calculation  would  be  even  more  practical  &  accurate  if  WC  is  taken  into  consideration  WRT  the  fish.   For  eg,  a  juv  discus  would  need  a  daily  WC,  whereas  a  snakehead  can  do  with  a  30%  change  every  month  and  a  Noble  gourami  might  require  10%-15%  twice  a  week.   And  not  to  mention,  a  hobbyist  who's  ready  to  double  his  WC  schedule,  can  almost  double  the  stocking  as  well  for  certain  family  of  fishes.                

I  see.   Smile   That  is  a  fair  point.  Let  me  add  that  to  my  wishlist.

Thanks  for  the  suggestion!
vidhyasagar99
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:53 am Post subject: Re: Stocking calculator !! Reply with quote

thanks  guys,  its  wonderfull  to  know  that  i  have  some  guys  who  are  interested  in  the   plants,but  i  really  know  that  they  have   a  role  to  play  ,  just  like  our  forests  which  our  human  aquarium  doesnt  realize,it  will  be  wonder  full  to  know  how  plants  play  an  role  in  keeping  the  ecosystem  clean,  will  there  be  more  input  from  u  my  friend  ,  it  will  be  pleasurefull  to  share  thoughts,
yhbae
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:00 pm Post subject: Re: Stocking calculator !! Reply with quote

vidhyasagar99  wrote  (View  Post):                
thanks  guys,  its  wonderfull  to  know  that  i  have  some  guys  who  are  interested  in  the   plants,but  i  really  know  that  they  have   a  role  to  play  ,  just  like  our  forests  which  our  human  aquarium  doesnt  realize,it  will  be  wonder  full  to  know  how  plants  play  an  role  in  keeping  the  ecosystem  clean,  will  there  be  more  input  from  u  my  friend  ,  it  will  be  pleasurefull  to  share  thoughts,                

Yes  it  is  a  known  fact  that  plants  do  help  in  aquarium  environment.  I  have  been  looking  into  this  for  a  while.  I  will  support  plants  one  way  or  the  other  but  I  think  it  will  take  time.  Smile
douwe
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:08 pm Post subject: Re: Stocking calculator !! Reply with quote

There  are  regular  updates  on  this  site  (in  the  background)  that  makes  it  more  and  more  accurate  :)

On  the  plants,  maybe  an  estimate  of  ground  coverage  (%),  speed  of  plant  growth  to  take  in  consideration  or  does  CO2  and  lighting  (Wattage  and  duration)  also  got  something  to  do  with  it,  will  make  it  very  complicated  if  not  impossible

There  is  a  big  programming  challenge  Smile
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:12 pm Post subject: Re: Stocking calculator !! Reply with quote

Very  good  website..  so  many  fish  names   Chuckle
yhbae
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:38 am Post subject: Re: Stocking calculator !! Reply with quote

douwe  wrote  (View  Post):                
There  are  regular  updates  on  this  site  (in  the  background)  that  makes  it  more  and  more  accurate  :)

On  the  plants,  maybe  an  estimate  of  ground  coverage  (%),  speed  of  plant  growth  to  take  in  consideration  or  does  CO2  and  lighting  (Wattage  and  duration)  also  got  something  to  do  with  it,  will  make  it  very  complicated  if  not  impossible

There  is  a  big  programming  challenge  Smile                

Yes  it  will  be  a  challenge  regardless  of  the  approach.   Smile  

I  am  also  thinking  of  building  a  "plant  advisor"  where  it  will  tell  you  the  requirements  for  each  plant  species.  That  will  also  be  a  lot  of  work  though...   Surprised
yhbae
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:39 am Post subject: Re: Stocking calculator !! Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                
Very  good  website..  so  many  fish  names   Chuckle                

And  more  to  come!   Thumbs Up
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: