137. Guest
138. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,506

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid (INJURED)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid (INJURED)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Diseases & Cures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srkg
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:53 am Post subject: HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid (INJURED) Reply with quote

I  have  a  tank  with  four  juvenile  texas  and  a  school  of  giant  danios.  3  week  ago  I  came  back  from  a  10  day  vacation.  During  the  trip  my  friend  took  care  of  the  feeding  every  two  days.  The  texas  were  without  any  problems  before  I  went  on  the  trip  but  on  returning  I  noticed  that  the  texas  had  developed  some  small  black  spots  on  the  fins  and  a  little  near  the  mouth  region.

I  thought  it  would  be  a  common  infection  and  hoped  that  it  would  go  away  with  better  feeding  regime  and  water  changes.  So  now  its  been  two  weeks  and  I  do  not  see  much  improvement.  In  the  smallest  guy  the  darkening  seems  to  be  more  pronounced  than  the  larger  ones.

I  had  made  a  25%  water  change  two  days  before  going  on  the  trip  and  have  done  two  50%  water  changes  in  the  last  three  weeks  along  with  the  usual  topups.

All  the  four  are  active  as  ever,  no  visible  signs  of  stress,  eating  well  and  growing  in  size.  But  these  dark  spots  do  worry  me.....  so  the  shout  for  help....  ┬áPlease  do  help...

The  tank  specs  are....

Tank  Size:  5  x  1  1/2  x  1  1/2  (feet)
 Filter:  1800lph  internal  filter
 Water:  Bore  water
 Substrate:  Coarse  sand
 Food:  Hikari  Cichlid  Gold  and  Biogold+
 Setup  since:  last  3  months

Photos  of  the  texas....  and  the  red  circle  showing  some  of  the  black  spots...

Last edited by srkg on Fri May 07, 2010 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:34 am Post subject: Re: HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid Reply with quote

your  fish  are  in  good  health  
 those  black  spots  aren't  a  disease
srkg
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:54 pm Post subject: Re: HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid Reply with quote

Hi  Jib,

Thanks  a  lot  for  the  reply....  very  much  relieved  to  hear  that....   Smile  

I  was  starting  to  get  a  little  worried  for  them....

Cheers!!
 Ganesh
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:21 pm Post subject: Re: HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid Reply with quote

a  possibility  -  if  on  edges  of  fins  then  it  might  be  due  to  little  bit  of  nipping  by  others...black  coloration  on  these  nipping  comes  when  the  fins  are  recovering....

cheers,
 Binesh
srkg
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:21 pm Post subject: Re: HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid Reply with quote

Hi  Binesh...

Thanks  for  your  reply.  Infact  of  the  four  texas  two  of  them  always  end  up  with  nips  on  their  tails...  the  alpha  guy  remains  uninjured  and  the  smallest  of  the  lot  gets  chased  a  little  but  surprisingly  no  one  actually  takes  a  bite....  everyone  is  very  lenient  towards  it....  the  2nd  and  the  3rd  guys  have  this  usual  cycle  of  bites  in  the  tail....  then  the  healing  process...  and  then  again  some  bites  in  the  tail...

The  alpha  and  the  smallest  guy  also  carry  some  of  the  black  spotting...  so  got  a  little  worried...

Thanks!!
 Ganesh
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:03 pm Post subject: Re: HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid Reply with quote

Hi  Ganesh,

These  nipping  are  fine  in  cichlids....temperature  of  about  28  degree  celcius  helps  in  recovring  this  injuries...lower  temperator  less  than  24  may  become  a  concern.....

cheers,
 Binesh
srkg
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:00 am Post subject: Re: HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid Reply with quote

One  of  the  saddest  days.....  out  of  my  four  texas  t1,  t2,  t3  and  t4.....  two  of  my  boys  are  down  due  to  internal  conflicts.....  

I  was  worried  about  the  black  spots  and  you  guys  let  me  know  that  it  was  nothing  to  worry  about....  I  was  happy...  the  fish  were  happy  and  they  were  co-existing  without  any  issues....  and  then  something  happened  10  days  ago...

When  I  returned  from  office  I  found  T3  dead  totally  battered....  i  never  seen  them  fight  before  and  before  going  to  office  they  were  all  eating  food  together  as  usual.....  what  I  noticed  was  that  T1  and  T2  were  moving  around  as  a  pair  and  were  also  digging  multiple  pits  all  the  way  to  the  bottom  of  the  substrate....  my  thought  was  that  they  might  have  paired  up  and  killed  t3  considering  it  a  threat....  all  this  within  a  span  of  8  hours....

t1  and  t2  were  going  around  for  2  days  and  on  the  third  day  they  started  fighting  too....  it  was  like  a  death  match  and  I  intervened  and  put  a  netlon  based  partition  in  the  tank  and  separated  them.....  t2  had  been  injured  in  that  bout.....  t2  had  been  recovering  for  the  last  one  week  and  was  doing  really  well.....  and  then  today  when  I  returned  from  work  I  saw  t1  and  t2  on  the  same  side  and  t2  had  been  bashed  up  badly  (fins  ripped  and  half  of  the  scales  missing)  and  was  sticking  to  the  filter....  infact  it  had  been  t2  who  had  dug  up  the  sand  and  found  a  way  to  go  across  to  the  other  side......  I  immediately  separated  the  two  but  I  guess  it  was  pretty  late....  he  was  able  to  stay  a  little  straight  when  i  came  in....  and  it  ate  two  of  the  pellets  that  i  dropped....  wifey  and  I  were  having  hope  against  hope  that  this  guy  would  survive....  but  now  it  looks  like  he  is  not  going  to.....  as  i  am  typing  this  t2  is  now  lying  side  ways  on  the  floor  and  breathing  his  last....

he  did  try  to  make  an  effort  to  turn  himself  upright  when  I  near  him....  but  he  is  just  not  able  to  do  that.....  Only  movement  he  shows  is  the  movement  of  the  gills  and  the  eyes  follow  me  as  i  move....  for  me  its  a  feeling  of  helplessness....   Crying or Very sad  

May  God  give  him  peace.....
srkg
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:02 am Post subject: Re: HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid Reply with quote

Woke  up  with  a  heavy  heart  assuming  that  T2  was  going  to  be  dead....  but  this  guy  is  now  become  straight  and  not  lying  side  ways  anymore....  he  is  a  fighter  and  proved  that  he  is  not  gonna  give  up  easily....   the  same  chap  who  made  my  eyes  moist  yesterday  night  decided  to  bring  a  smile  on  my  face  today  morning.....   Smile  

He  is  still  weak  but  he  has  decided  not  to  give  up....  and  so  would  I  and  keep  my  finger  crossed....  pics  of  his  injury....

srkg
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:46 am Post subject: Re: HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid (INJURED) Reply with quote

Hello  all,

The  update  from  my  end  is  that  the  condition  of  T2  (name  of  the  texas)  looks  improved....  though  no  where  close  to  the  amount  of  energy  and  strength  he  had  before  the  fight....

There  is  a  new  issue  which  has  popped  up....  the  place  where  he  lost  his  scales  has  this  white  cotton  like  formation  and  my  first  guess  is  that  its  a  fungal  infection....  this  is  not  much  visible  when  viewed  side  ways  so  I  am  posting  a  top  view....

This  was  not  there  on  friday  morning  and  noticed  it  after  I  came  back  from  work....  I  took  a  sterile  gauze  cloth  and  using  the  blue  medicine  (anti-fungal)  cleaned  him....  also  gave  him  a  2  minute  medicinal  bath  and  he  went  back  to  the  partition....  the  amount  of  this  cottony  growth  had  reduced  a  little....  so  I  cleaned  him  up  today  as  well....

I  saw  suggestions  for  salt...  but  I  am  not  able  to  find  iodine  free  salt  near  my  home....  please  do  guide  me  if  I  am  doing  anything  wrong  and  what  else  I  can  do  to  improve  his  condition....

saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:13 pm Post subject: Re: HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid (INJURED) Reply with quote

oucH!!

Thats  few  bad  wounds  there.  
 You  want  NaCl  and  pure?
 Visit  few  lab-stores  along  Ramkote  and  Tilak  road,  should  surely  help.

You  could  do  it  in  a  simpler  way  by  using  rock  salt  thats  available  in  poor-man's-shops{Kirana  stores}  along  mid-range  locality.
 The  iodine  used  in  that  is  very  minimal,  enough   to  not  hurt  your  SturDy-well  fed  Texas  Thumb Up  
 "Bull"  is  one  brand  you  would  see,  especially  used  for  coconut  trees.
 Like  this.

Rock  of  this  size.

Used  them  on  Oscars  to  bettas  they  recoverd  from  such  bruses

BTW  getting  any  interesting  replys  on  Weekends  is  next  to  anything...  better  do  a  108  or  deep  check  with  Google.

Good  luck  to  you  both.  Thumb Up
srkg
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:08 am Post subject: Re: HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid (INJURED) Reply with quote

Hi  Sai,

Thanks  a  lot  for  the  reply  and  wishes....  the  texas  looks  pretty  sturdy  but  had  become  very  weak....

Update  from  my  end  is  that  I  have  started  a  hospital  tank  (2x1x1)  with  areation....  have  moved  T2  to  this  tank  after  cleaning  the  fungal  growth  on  his  body  with  a  sterile  gauze.....  Also  moved  a  small  driftwood  and  a  plastic  container  that  he  likes....  Have  covered  the  tank  with  newspaper  from  all  sides....

Tried  the  salt  water  bath  but  he  didnt  like  it  a  bit  and  started  swimming  upside  down  at  the  top....  so  removed  him  immediately  and  going  the  tetracycline  way....  The  salt  was  "Sai"  brand...  didnt  know  that  you  were  into  salt  business  as  well...  :)

Have  dosed  this  the  with  tetracycline...  initially  had  used  the  entire  powder  from  the  500mg  capsule...  but  T2  didnt  like  it....  so  removed  about  10  litres  of  medicated  water  and  replaced  it  with  old  tank  water

Got  this  dosing  from  Jib's  earlier  post  for  curing  a  Ram  of  its  fungus.....  http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=14151&highlight=fungal

Really  hoping  that  this  guy  comes  out  successful  for  all  the  pains  he  is  having  to  go  through....
srkg
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:22 am Post subject: Re: HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid (INJURED) Reply with quote

T2  breathed  his  last  today  morning....   Crying or Very sad  

Thanks  a  lot  Jib  and  Sai  for  all  the  support  and  good  wishes...

Regards!!
 Ganesh
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:26 pm Post subject: Re: HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid (INJURED) Reply with quote

SRK,

Sorry  for  your  loss.
 I  dont  know  how  it  feels  because  I  never  kept  Texas.

Hope  next  time  such  a  thing  dosent  happen.
 My  guess  is  that  you  might  be  unlucky  by  getting  majority  of  males.  Apart  from  that  you  need  few  expErts'  comments  regarding  their  housing  &  segregation.

Better  luck  next  time!
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:14 pm Post subject: Re: HELP: Black Spots on Texas Cichlid (INJURED) Reply with quote

sorry  to  hear  the  loss  Ganesh.

Cheers,
 Binesh
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Diseases & Cures All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: