32. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 28,778

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Tank as of now
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Tank as of now
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perikaruppan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:39 pm Post subject: Re: Tank as of now Reply with quote

gremlin,  using  PVC's  might  be  more  of  a  hindrance  than  benefit,  if  not  planning  and  linked  properly.  If  not  done  properly  and  if  the  burrowers  tend  to  work  pretty  hard  then,  with  heavy  load  on  the  rocks,  you  are  in  for  trouble.  

I  personally  feel,  he  will  be  better  off  using  EGG  crates,  or  properly  designed  PVC  structures  to  have  the  LR/DR  on.  Adding  Sand  and  then  the  ROCKS  is  absolutely  a  bad  idea  though.  As  if  there  are  gobies  and  other  burrowers  which  tend  to  shift  the  sand  then,  the  structure's  base  will  become  more  unstable  due  to  movement  of  sand  and  might  result  in  a  structural  collapse.  Hence  i  always  use  egg  crates  to  the  base  of  the  Rocks,  cure  the  rocks  and  then  add  the  LR  -  similar  to  the  method  done  by  Sanjay  joshi  while  he  setup  his  tank  (on  Reef  Central).
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:40 pm Post subject: Re: Tank as of now Reply with quote

Nice  start...  Lights  are  not  enough
Vipul
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:42 am Post subject: This is my existing Tank Reply with quote

This  tank  has  no  fishes  in  it  now     I  am  gona  use  it  as  a  quarienteen  tank  later  on
 now  I  know  that  the  inverts  in  the  tank  are  not  to  their  best  health  
 but  most  of  these  have  been  rescued  from  a  friend's  tank  which  collapsed  
 i  do  need  help  with  the  sea  fan  
 it  is  not  doing  so  well

thanks  
 my  water  perimeters  are  almost  perfect  the  only  thing  is  i  have  not  tested  for  calcium  as  i  have  
 exosted  mt  test  kit  for  it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aqua_geek
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:26 am Post subject: Re: Tank as of now Reply with quote

looks  nice...  had  not  been  for  quarantine  purpose,  I  was  expecting  some  plants  around.  But  it's  still  looking  good...
arvindshetty
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:27 am Post subject: Re: Tank as of now Reply with quote

Looks  nice.Please  keep  us  updated  abut  the  progress  of  the  tank.

gremlin  wrote  (View  Post):                

Quote:                
If  i  do  that  wont  their  be  stress  on  the  glass  and  wont  the  rocks  be  unstable  
 How  should  I  attach  them                

Use  three  or  four  pieces  of  PVC  per  rock.  

Check  out  this  image  for  the  use  of  PVC  
 http://www.theculturedreef.com/135%20Rock-2.jpg
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:33 pm Post subject: Re: Tank as of now Reply with quote

Hi,

Over  the  long  run  i  dont  think  PVC  would  stay  very  stable  if  not  done  correctly  for  reasons  metioned  by  pk.   Secondly  I  would  first  place  the  rocks  and  then  the  sand  and  then  fill  up  the  tank  with  saltwater  and  let  it  cycle.  All  of  this  at  one  go.

There  is  a  Bonsai  technique  which  i  believe  Pk  and  venket  used.  i  think  that  would  be  fine  but  then  the  rocks  have  to  be  drilled.  I  think  Egg  crates  are  good  options  instead.

Read  these  two  links  and  should  give  you  a  good  heads  up  has  the  pics  to  guide  you  too.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=284136
 http://www.ultimatereef.com/articles/002/

Warm  Regards
 Nirav  Shah
 Indiapetstore.com
gremlin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:25 pm Post subject: Re: Tank as of now Reply with quote

Quote:                
Adding  Sand  and  then  the  ROCKS  is  absolutely  a  bad  idea  though.                

That  was  first  of  my  many  mistakes  I  made  when  setting  up  first  tank.  Did  not  even  think  about  it  and  place  the  rocks  on  the  sand  and  had  a  rock  slide  when  I  introduced  a  Dimond  Goby.  Lucky  for  me  It  did  not  break  the  glass.
Vipul
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:53 pm Post subject: This is a digram Reply with quote

This  is  my  Sump  plan
 I  will  post  the  proper  digram  
 when  i  figure  out  how  to  reduce  the  size  of  the  digram
 just  one  morething
 I  have  also  used  the  last  chamber  and  it  is  not  going  to  be  a  
 hospital  tank  
 i  am  making  a  seperate  qurainteen  tank
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
asak
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:03 pm Post subject: Re: Tank as of now Reply with quote

your  lights  are  too  high  from  the  tank  and  they  seem  to  be  at  an  angle.  That's  the  reason  it  is  going  out  of  the  tank.  To  get  the  best  PAR  you  will  need  to  mount  6  to  8  inches  from  the  water  surface  and  align  them  flat  with  good  reflectors.  Any  reason  why  you  are  using  5  MH  lamps  +  all  those  tubes.  You  will  probably  be  better  off  with  3  x  250  lamps.  I  am  sure  this  will  be  enough  even  for  SPS.  The  bracings  in  the  tank  seem  to  be  across  rather  than  lengthwise.  This  will  again  hinder  with  light  entering  the  tank.

What  kind  of  invertebrates  are  you  planning?  I  also  would  suggest  you  get  a  chiller  at  the  start  as  all  these  lights  and  pumps  are  going  to  produce  a  lot  of  heat.  I  don't  think  the  fans  would  be  enough  unless  the  room  in  contantly  airconditioned  or  you  live  in  a  cool  place.
Vipul
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:05 pm Post subject: For starters I a planinf a FOWLR Reply with quote

Then  later  on  I  like  all  humans  wanna  devlope
 that  is  soft  at  first  ┬áthen  ┬áSPS  and  LPS  
 and  clams  and  stuff  
 I  wanna  do  the  best  I  can  do
 the  tubes  are  for  now  when  their  is  the  fish  only  
 and  then  later  on  
 I  do  agree  the  MH  are  too  high  and  i  need  2  lower  them  
 and  it  is  not  something  I  can  achieve  now  
 So  i  am  thinking  of  fabricating  a  new  additional  reflector
daniel_naveen
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:41 am Post subject: Re: Tank as of now Reply with quote

With  150  watt  halides  and  at  that  spectrum  on  a  tank  2  feet  tall,  most  SPS  will  certainly  be  very  hard  to  keep.  As  ashok  said  you  need  to  move  the  lights  closer.  You  could  bring  2  fixtures  close  together  at  the  spot  you  wanna  keep  SPS.
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:18 pm Post subject: Re: Tank as of now Reply with quote

If  I  were  you,  I  would  have  used  3  X  250W  MH  @  14,000K  and  included  8  X  36W  Actinic  tubelights.  Halides  at  20,000K  if  you  wanted  a  lot  of  LPS.

I  would  have  lowered  the  lights  a  wee  bit.  

Invest  in  good  live  rock,  and  a  good  protein  skimmer  for  filtration.  I  would  also  look  at  adding  an  algal  scrubber.  I  would  prefer  a  plumbed  tank  with  2  pumps  inline  forming  a  closed  loop,  rather  than  have  so  many  powerheads  inside.  

And  I  will  leave  out  ALL  chinese  stuff,  as  I  know  they  are  extremely  unreliable.

Thats  just  me,  anyways!
gremlin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:29 pm Post subject: Re: Tank as of now Reply with quote

Quote:                
Halides  at  20,000K  if  you  wanted  a  lot  of  LPS.                

Just  wondering  how  does  halides  at  20000K  help  with  keeping  lots  of  LPS?  

I  agree  with  you  statement  to  use  3X250w  MH  @  14000K  for  this  tank.  At  20,000K  the  tank  will  look  blue  and  the  corals  will  show  colours  but  will  grow  at  a  very  slow  rate.  12000  or  14000K  is  good  choice.
 ATS  for  this  tank  need  to  be  huge  for  it  to  be  effective.
Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:59 am Post subject: Re: Tank as of now Reply with quote

Think  you're  good  to  go  with  the  colour  spectrum  for  your  MH.  Personally,  I  think  14k's  are  the  best.  However,  one  thing  i've  seen,  is  that  the  colour  of  14k  of  a  given  brand  won't  be  the  same  as  the  color  of  a  14k  of  another.  Don't  worry  too  much  about  it.

If  you  wanna  DIY  the  reflectors,  you  could  make  4  flaps  on  your  fixtures  to  focus  the  light  downward.  Like  this  http://glassbox-design.com/2009/mzone-mt250-metal-halide/

Keep  at  it....
Vipul
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:12 am Post subject: Thanks for all the advise Reply with quote

I  really  appriciate  all  the  advise  that  everyone  is  giving  me  
 and  I  wish  I  had  joined  this  forum  sooner  
 anyways  I  am  posting  a  new  Post  with  some  
 new  pictures  with  water  in  it  after  leak  test
 thanks
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 2 of 20

Jump to: