85. Guest
86. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,835

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamir
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:50 pm Post subject: Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks? Reply with quote

Has  anyone  ever  used  NeemShield  Manure  for  planted  tanks?  Or  it  it  safe  for  fish  and  good  for  plants?  I  was  wanting  to  buy  some  organic  potting  soil  and  by  mistake  I  purchased  10KG  bag  of  Neem  Shield  Manure  which  is  in  powder  form.  I  put  a  little  in  a  bowl  of  water  and  it  is  too  powdery.  Not  sure  if  I  can  mix  with  some  sand  and  garden  soil.

Any  ideas  or  suggestions  will  be  highly  appreciated.  

I  live  in  Dimapur  Nagaland  and  the  only  tiny  LFS  we  have  dont  carry  any  substrate  or  soil  for  planted  tanks.

Here  is  a  link  to  the  neem  manure

http://www.dalmiagreenfields.com/neemshield.htm
bmvbab
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:23 pm Post subject: Re: Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks? Reply with quote

Dont  think  anyone  would  have  tried  that,  and  I  dont  think  you  should  try  that  either....
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:34 pm Post subject: Re: Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks? Reply with quote

Dont  think  it  is  a  good  idea.  Try  to  avoid  orgainc  substrates  in  a  planted  tank
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:01 pm Post subject: Re: Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks? Reply with quote

Hi  Jamir,

Welcome  to  IAH.

I  understand  how  difficult  it  would  be  to  source  something  in  Nagaland.  One  of  my  orders  took  a  lifetime  (dry  goods,  luckily)  to  reach  Assam  by  courier.  I  guess  it  would  be  the  same  for  you  as  well.

If  you  have  no  access  to  laterite  or  any  of  the  branded  substrates,  please  use  plain  construction  sand  (sieved)  and  supplement  your  nutrition  by  dosing  fertilizers.
jamir
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:53 pm Post subject: Re: Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks? Reply with quote

Thank  you  so  much...  I  will  not  use  it  in  the  tank...  Will  use  it  in  the  kitchen  garden...  I  think  i  will  just  go  with  plain  river  sand.  I  wish  I  can  get  Eco  Complete  when  I  had  my  last  planted  tank  it  was  all  eco  complete  and  my  plants  loved  it.
jamir
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:54 pm Post subject: Re: Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks? Reply with quote

nature_lover  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Jamir,

Welcome  to  IAH.

I  understand  how  difficult  it  would  be  to  source  something  in  Nagaland.  One  of  my  orders  took  a  lifetime  (dry  goods,  luckily)  to  reach  Assam  by  courier.  I  guess  it  would  be  the  same  for  you  as  well.

If  you  have  no  access  to  laterite  or  any  of  the  branded  substrates,  please  use  plain  construction  sand  (sieved)  and  supplement  your  nutrition  by  dosing  fertilizers.                

Hi,
 When  you  say  sieved?  What  size  mesh/net  should  i  use?  I  have  two  different  kinds  of  river  sand  at  home.  One  is  very  fine  and  the  other  is  rough  one  which  also  contains  small  gravel  (river  granite)  of  different  sizes.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:39 am Post subject: Re: Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks? Reply with quote

3-5  mm  in  size  should  be  good  for  the  planted  tank
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:59 am Post subject: Re: Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks? Reply with quote

use  fine  river  sand  in  planted  tank  and  cover  it  with  a  layer  of  small  garvels.
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:10 am Post subject: Re: Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks? Reply with quote

Scorpio  wrote  (View  Post):                
use  fine  river  sand  in  planted  tank  and  cover  it  with  a  layer  of  small  garvels.                

Why  do  you  think  sand  should  be  covered  with  some  gravel?  Is  that  for  aesthetics  or  something  else?  Please  explain...
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:15 am Post subject: Re: Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks? Reply with quote

The  sand  can  be  disturb  during  water  change  without  a  cover  of  gravel  and  fish  also  disturb  in  search  of  food.
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:17 am Post subject: Re: Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks? Reply with quote

Then  why  have  sand?  Why  not  just  soil(nutrient  rich  layer)  under  gravel?
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:25 am Post subject: Re: Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks? Reply with quote

He  can  also  use  normal  soil  under  a  cover  of  gravels.  He  is  from  Nagaland.  I  don't  know  what  type  of  soil  is  available  in  his  region.  The  soil  of  my  region  in  aquarium  should  result  mud.

By  the  way  teeth  of  your  avatar  developing  a  fear  factor  inside  me.
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:00 am Post subject: Re: Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks? Reply with quote

Sand  or  gravel,  what  ever  you  use  over  the  soil  is  a  neutral  layer,  keeping  lower  layer  from  getting  directly  in  contact  with  water.  Its  sufficient  to  have  only  one  neutral  layer  as  it  serves  the  purpose  and  also  contributes  to  overall  appeal  of  the  tank.  More  than  one  top  layer  will  unnecessarily  increase  overall  depth(of  substrate)  and  might  result  in  dead  patches  and  oxygen  deficient  areas  that  again  causes  array  of  problems.

Gravels/sand  of  varying  colors  and  size  can  be  used  depending  on  availability  and  your  taste(as  far  as  they  dont  alter  the  water  parameters).  

As  for  the  fishes  disturbing  it,  usually  fishes  that  disturb  substrate  tend  to  upset  plants  as  well,  better  not  have  them  in  the  tank.
 And  be  a  little  patient  while  changing  water,  let  the  tank  fill  at  least  pressure  possible.

Scorpio  wrote  (View  Post):                
By  the  way  teeth  of  your  avatar  developing  a  fear  factor  inside  me.                

ROFL  lol!  dont  be....we  are  here  not  to  inflict  fear  on  each  other,  but  to  learn  and  understand  the  hobby  better.   Smile  
 I  actually  made  that  myself.  I'll  stick  with  it  unless  I  make  something  different.

@Jamir...Sorry  for  going  a  bit  off-topic  here,  I  hope  you  dont  mind...
borneosucker
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

Location: Sabah, Malaysia.....I'm located in North of Borneo Island

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:49 pm Post subject: Re: Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks? Reply with quote

Hamza...you  made  that  profile  pic?...I  want  one,  but  with  the  upper  fang  sticking  out...hahaha  just  kidding  :D

Owh  yeah,  well  explained  Very Happy......soil  under  sand  OR  soil  under  gravel....both  works  great  IME  :D

This  works  great  for  rooting  plants....but  if  you  plan  to  grow  moss  only,  then  no  point  having  the  soil  under  any  substrate,  just  plain  sand  or  gravel  and  the  moss  will  still  grow  :D

Even  better,  you  can  scape  with  bare  bottom  tank  covered  with  a  thick  carpet  of  moss...(if  this  is  a  moss  only  tank)...and  of  course,  you  still  can  grow  rotting  plants  in  bare  bottom  tank,  just  plant  them  inside  a  flower  pot,  and  hide  the  pot  with  moss....:D

Some  ideas  though  Very Happy......cheers  and  have  fun   Rock On
jamir
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:26 pm Post subject: Re: Neem Shield Manure for Planted Tanks? Reply with quote

[quote  @Jamir...Sorry  for  going  a  bit  off-topic  here,  I  hope  you  dont  mind...[/quote]

Thanks  for  all  your  suggestions.  Ha  ha  I  dont  mind  off  topics  its  fun  makes  the  topic/thread  more  interesting...
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: