227. Guest
228. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,810

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank : SUMP Question
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank : SUMP Question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravi_737
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:20 pm Post subject: ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank : SUMP Question Reply with quote

Hello  Everybody,

I  am  planning  for  a  new  Marine  tank.  I  need  some  advise  with  regards
 to  the  size  and  lighting  of  the  tank.  As  of  now  i  have  a  2-1/2  feet  FOWLR
 tank  and  its  been  running  sucessfully  for  the  last  3  years.

I  would  like  to  see  this  as  a  Reef  tank  sometime  down  the  line.
 Here  are  a  few  things  that  i  have  in  mind  for  my  new  tank.

1)  Tank  size:
 Initially  planned  for  a  36x36x24  tank.  a  kind  of  Cubish  tank.
 Is  this  a  good  idea  to  go  with  this.  Also,  for  lighting  I  was  thinking  
 of  going  for  250W  MH  lighting.  Had  some  chat  with  a  few  people  
 and  they  seem  to  discourage  me  on  the  size  and  the  lighting.

Would  a  48x24x24  tank  be  a  safe  bet.  Would  one  250W  MH  lights  
 be  enough  to  provide  enough  coverage  for  a  4  footer?  or  maybe  2  150W  MH  be  a  better  choice.  

I  will  keep  this  thread  updated  with  more  questions  as  and  when  i  have  one.
 For  now,  I  wanted  to  get  the  tank  made  and  have  the  furniture  in  place.

Please  let  me  know  what  you  think  about  my  plans.

Thank  you  in  advance,
 Best  Regards,
 Ravi.M

Last edited by ravi_737 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
gremlin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:30 pm Post subject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank Reply with quote

I  would  go  with  a  longer  and  shallower  tank  any  day.  You  can  place  more  corals  and  your  fish  will  have  more  swimming  room.  2x150w  would  be  fine  for  softies  but  if  you  are  planning  on  keeping  acros  and  clams  2x250  would  be  better.  But  the  250  would  put  out  more  heat.  Read  up  on  T5's,  they'll  work  out  great  in  your  tank.
Perikaruppan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:32 pm Post subject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank Reply with quote

Ravi,  the  4X2X2  should  be  a  decent  size,  you  can  even  look  at  4X2.5X2  to  give  you  more  depth  in  the  view  from  front...  also  for  a  4'  tank  u  need  2  MHS..  basically  each  MH  with  a  lumenarc  reflector  covers  about  an  area  of  2X2...   and  since  u  were  initially  looking  at  a  3X3X2  u  need  to  supplement  the  MH  with  additional  T5HOs.

First  determine  what  kindda  corals  you  are  going  to  keep  if  you  are  looking  at  SPS  (Acros,  montis  etc.,)  then  u  need  an  MH..  otherwise  you  can  make  a  very  good  tank  with  T5HO  Bulbs  that  are  available  in  the  market  currently.

Also  first  and  foremost,  get  the  Chiller  in  place  -  as  you  are  in  chennai  it  is  the  First  most  important  criterion  for  a  successful  Reef.
ravi_737
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:57 pm Post subject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank Reply with quote

Dear  Gremlin  and  Pk,

Thanks  a  lot  for  your  inputs.

I  think  i  am  slowly  getting  inclined  to  a   4x2.5x2  footer.  I  think  i  will  end  up  with  this  one.

As  for  the  kind  of  corals  that  i  would  want  ..  my  preference  is  more  towards  softies..  infact  i  wouldnt  
 mind  a  tank  full  of  Live  Rocks  and  only  pumping  Xenia.  Might  also  prefer  a  birds  nest  and  
 a  few  montis.  More  of  a   mixed  reef.  If  i  can  have  my  tank  full  with  Xenia  i  would  be  more  than  happy.

With  the  kind  of  stuff  that  I  have  in  mind  is  it  enough  if  i  go  with  T5HO  bulbs  ?  do  we  get  T5's  with  high  Kelvin  ratings  in  India  (  Chennai  ).  Any  source  that  you  could  recommend.

Yes,  Pk,  I  do  have  a  chiller  in  mind.  I  should  have  it  in  a  couple  of  months.  I  dont  want  to  pump  in  all  the  money  at  one  shot  ..  would  like  to  go  slow  so  that  i  dont  feel  the  pinch  ...  and  also  i  am  planning  to  cycle  the  tank  for  a  couple  of  months.  That  way  by  the  time  i  am  ready  to  introduce  live  stock  i  should  have  all  the  hard  ware  in  place.  

Will  be  waiting  for  your  thoughts  on  the  lighting.

Thanks  again  for  your  time  and  inputs.

Best  Regards,
 Ravi.M
 988471-7284
sid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:26 pm Post subject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank Reply with quote

You  don't  need  months  of  cycling.  Like  PK  said,  you  WILL  need  a  chiller  for  the  above  mentioned  corals,  it's  the  most  important  'hardware'  for  a  reef  tank.  i  personally  think  you  should  have  a  chiller  from  the  cycling  stage  itself.   You  can  add  more  than  1  t5  tube  if  you  want  stronger  lighting.
gremlin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:49 pm Post subject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank Reply with quote

You  got  it  right!  Take  it  slow,  you'll  get  good  result.  YOu  can  run  about  4  or  5  T5's  and  mix  the  the  spectrums  to  get  the  colour  you  want.  Higher  spectrum  brings  out  the  colours  in  the  corals  but  your  growth  rate  will  be  lower.  I  run  mine  at  12000k  with  couple  of  actinics.  You  can  grow  xenias  and  montis  in  T5's.  Also  invest  in  a  good  skimmer  that  is  overrated  for  your  tank.  Will  save  you  a  lot  of  headache.
ravi_737
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:25 pm Post subject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Sid,

Thanks  .  I  think  cycling  the  tank  for  a  longer  period  wont  hurt  and  hence  i  will  let  it  cycle  for  a  couple  of  months.  Also,  I  have  the  chiller  in  my  plans  should  have  it  before  the  summer  kicks  off  in  chennai.  I  dont  think  it  would  be  very  bad  by  mid  feb  or  sometime  around  that  time.  

Hi  Gremlin,

Thank  you  so  much  for  your  inputs.  How  many  T5  VHO's  do  you  think  i  will  need  to  run  on  a  4x2.5x2  tank.   or  would  2  150  W  MH  be  a  better  option.

Best  Regards,
 Ravi.M
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:09 pm Post subject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Ravi,

I  think  the  tank  size  of  4  X  2.5  X  2  will  look  a  lot  better.  Tanks  with  Large  depths  always  look  great.  Chiller  is  something  you  may  not  need  immediately  and  by  the  time  you  would  need  it,  I  think  you  would  have  matured  enough  into  the  hobby  to  make  a  decision  if  you  would  like  to  continue  with  a  saltwater  setup  or  not.  I  know  of  many  people  who  start  and  then  find  it  difficult  to  take  out  time  and  the  investment  to  continue  with  the  setup  and  eventually  give  it  up.  Then  they  end  up  with  a  lot  of  equipment.  None  the  less  i  am  sure  with  you  planning  well  things  wont  end  up  that  way  and  you  shall  do  well  in  the  hobby.  Good  luck  and  all  the  best.

With  regards  to  the  lighting,  if  you  are  planning  for  a  chiller,  I  would  go  with  2  X  70W  of  MH  of  6500K  and  2  X  150W  MH  one  at  14000K  and  20000K.  This  gives  you  endless  possiblities  as  to  the  live  stock  you  wish  to  add,  you  light  for  corals  and  inverts  would  never  be  insufficient  and  with  the  tank  height  being  at  24"  you  will  have  enough  penetration.
 Even  if  you  go  with  T5HO's  may  be  6-8  of  them  roughly  at  36W  or  54W  each  you  would  end  up  spending  a  lot  more  of  power  consumption  than  the  MHs  iteself  and  still  not  have  sufficient  lights  for  some  corals.  The  only  issue  with  MH's  is  heat.  Now  if  you  plan  for  a  chiller  you  dont  need  to  worry  much  about  it.

With  regards  to  cycling,  6  weeks  should  be  good  enough.  Even  if  you  go  for  2  months  of  cycling,  More  or  less  the  bacteria  in  your  tank  after  the  6th  week  would  have  no  work  to  do.  Unless  you  have  live  rock  in  there  which  has  critters  generating  amonia.

Warm  Regards
 Nirav  Shah
 Indiapetstore.com
ravi_737
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:13 pm Post subject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Nirav,

Thank  you  so  much  for  your  detailed  information.  I  have  decided  to  go  for  a  4x2.5x2.5  size  
 tanks.  2  70W  and  2  150W  MH  would  be  too  much  clutter  in  the  canopy.  Would  2  250W  14000K
 a  good  choice  if  I  decide  to  go  with  MH  ?.

My  choice  of  corals  isnt  too  wide.  I  would  happy  with  only  Xenia  in  my  tank  and  maybe  a  few  montis.
 As  suggested  earlier  in  this  thread  would  T5  VHO  be  enough  for  this  these  corals.  If  i  could  
 go  with  only  T5's  and  keep  Xenia's  and  propogate  them  well  in  my  tank  I  would  like  to  go  with  T5's.

Just  a  dumb  question  ...  would  1  250W  MH  14000k  possitioned  in  the  center  of  the  tank  and  supplemented  by  a  couple  of  T5's  be  enough  for  this  tank...  can  a  position  a  few  light  sensitive  corals  placed  under  the  MH.

Please  help  me  decide  on  the  lights  ..  i  am  still  not  able  to  make  up  my  mind  on  this.

Thanks  again  for  all  your  guidance.
 Best  Regards,
 Ravi.M
gremlin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:57 pm Post subject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank Reply with quote

if  you  are  going  to  have  only  softies  T5  would  be  fine.  You  can  even  grow  good  sps  with  T5  the  trick  is  they  need  to  have  good  individual  reflectors.  
 If  you  are  going  to  have  MH's  2x150's  keep  the  spectrum  from  10000k-14000k  and  suppliment  it  with  couple  actinics.  If  you  go  lower  on  the  spectrun  your  tank  will  look  yellow  and  there  is  great  chance  of  algae  growing.  If  you  go  with  higher  spectrum  your  tank  will  look  blue.  I  use  12000k  and  suppliment  it  with  couple  actinics  to  make  the  coral  colours  pop  out.
 In  the  end  do  what  you  and  your  spouse  (if  you  have  one)  feel  looks  good.
ravi_737
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:07 am Post subject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank Reply with quote

Dear  All,

Thanks  for  all  you  advise.  I  have  some  updates
 I  have  the  tank  ready  its  4x2.5x2.  I  have  a  chiller  in  place.
 and  the  next  thing  now  am  thinking  of  is  the  lights  ...  I  have  not  yet  made  my  mind  on  it.
 The  least  expectation  for  me  out  of  this  tank  is  to  have  a  tank  full  off  Pumping  Xenias  on  live  
 rock  and  the  most  would  be  a  a  few  Montis  and  a  Pink  birds  nest...  

Also,  i  want  my  tank  to  be  a  open  top  and  not  too  cramped  on  the  top...  a  few  MH  would  be  best  
 i  guess  ..  but  considering  the  amount  of  Heat  that  MH  produce  and  the  amount  of  energy  consumed  ..  its  a  lot  of  waste  ...

After  looking  at  PK's  DIY  LED  thread  ...  was  inspired  ..went  through  a  lot  of  DIY  LED  stuff  ..  
 that  looks  too  much  for  me  ...  am  electronically  challenged...  couldnt  figure  out  much  ...

I  might  end  up  with  MH  ..  still  have  not  made  up  my  mind  ....

Another  question  ...  I  was  advised  to  use  Aquaclay  as  one  of  the  media  in  my  Sump  ..  and  that  too  about  20  litres  of  it  ...  and  the  person  was  convincing  me  to  have  it  ...  am  not  sure  and  am  not  convinced  ...  Could  someone  advise  on  this  please  ?

You  would  have  noticed  ..  i  am  going  very  slow  ..  maybe  too  slow  ...  its  helping  me  in  a  way..  am  able  to  manage  my  finances  and  also  not  having  to  compromise  on  the  quality  of  stuff..  well  not  really  the  best  stuff  ..  but  better  than  the  common  ones  ..  guess  am  doing  okay..

Thank  you  all  ..
 Best  Regards,
 Ravi.M
asak
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:34 am Post subject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank Reply with quote

I  think  you  will  be  better  off  with  a  2  feet  rather  than  a  2.5  feet  height  tank.  If  you  want  to  keep  sps  you  will  at  least  need  250  x  2  +  may  be  some  actinics  for  the  colour.  You  could  alternatively  go  with  T5's  with  good  reflectors.  If  you  are  thinking  of  a  lot  of  SPS  with  T5  's  you  will  be  better  off  with  a  good  quality  fixture  with  active  cooling.  I  am  talking  for  tanks  that  are  2  feet  in  depth,  any  thing  above  that  will  require  more  lighting.

You  will  need  a  chiller  from  the  word  go,  for  your  size  tank  probably  a  1  hp  chiller.  Temperatures  right  now  will  touch  33  to  35  and  may  be  more  with  pumps  running  and  MH  lighting.  Fans  will  help  a  little  but  due  to  the  humidity  here  their  efficiency  drops.  You  could  try  and  fit  fans  where  ever  possible  in  the  DT  and  sump.

You  will  also  need  a  good  skimmer,  probably  the  most  important  piece  ofr  equipment.  Forget  about  aquaclay,  bio  balls,  ceramic  etc.  

Ashok
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:04 pm Post subject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank Reply with quote

Hi

Aquaclay  is  really  not  needed.  Dunno  why  the  person  was  convincing  you,  i  believe  he  was  the  seller  too.  You  can  rather  think  of  LR  rubble  and  a  refugium  rather  than  Bio  media.  Dont  really  needed  it  if  you  are  going  with  the  2.  I  would  rather  spend  that  money  on  a  quality  skimmer,  chiller  and  lighting.

Warm  Regards
 Nirav  Shah
 Indiapetstore.com
ravi_737
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:02 pm Post subject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank Reply with quote

Dear  All,

I  am  back  after  my  hibernation....  its  been  a  long  time  that  i  started  this  TOPIC.

I  am  finally  ready  with  my  tanks  ...  

Tank  :  4x2.5x2  (  lxbxh  )
 Sump:  4x2x2     
 Return  pump  :  Eihiem  5000
 Skimmer  :  Reef  Octopus  ..  i  am  thinking  of  upgrading  the  current  one  since  its  lower  rated  ..

Need  a  few  inputs  on  the  following  :

Lights  :
 I  am  planning  to  go  T5  HO  and  get  2  sets  of  Auazonic  ..  that  would  be  8x55W  =  440W.
 These  fixtures  do  not  have  a  indiviual  fixture...  is  it  okay  to  go  with  this  ?  or  should  I  look  out  
 for  fixtures  with  tubes  with  indiviual  fixtures  ..  (  Or  maybe  DIY  ?  )  

Live  Sand  :
 I  talked  to  a  LFS  in  kolathur  ...  they  advised  that  they  had  some  Live  Sand  ..  with  them  which  they  are  stocking  from  last  sunday...  is  it  worth  getting  this  bag  of  live  sand  ..  knowing  the  fact  that  its  been  out  of  water  for  almost  
 4-5  days  (  and  really  dont  know  when  it  was  taken  out  of  the  waters  )  ...

The  guy  also  suggested  that  if  i  wanted  a  fresh  bag  of  the  sand  ..  i  will  have  to  will  get  it  only  
 after  diwali  ...  would  a  fresh  lot  make  a  differernce  (  provided  its  really  a  new  batch  and  not  been  out  of  water  for  a  long  time  ..  this  info  we  can  never  trust  )

And  any  source  for  LR  (  can  PM  me  on  this  )  

I  am  planning  to  set  my  tank  and  leave  for  cycling  this  Diwali  ..  this  will  be  very  wet  Diwali  Smile!!!

Will  be  eagerly  waiting  for  your  Inputs  and  Wish  you  and  Your  Family  a  Happy  and  Safe  Diwali  !

Thank  you  once  again  for  all  your  inputs  ..

Best  Regards,
 Ravi.M
vijaykgoa
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:21 pm Post subject: Re: ADVICE NEEDED : For my New Marine Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Ravi,

Been  a  long  time  anything  happened  on  this  thread.  Nice  to  know  that  your  tank  is  almost  coming  up  now.

For  lights:-  You  can  do  a  DIY  ADA  style  hood  as  per  arjun  dogras  thread  on  that  design.  Since  both  of  your  are  based  out  of  Chennai,  you  can  take  his  help  on  that.  I  was  just  reading  up  on  lights  and  this  is  what  interested  me  a  lot:-

SHO  Lighting

I  actually  have  a  similar  setup  (barely  2  months  old)  with  Phillips  65  watts  spiral  CFLs-  2  nos.  Am  going  ahead  with  the  arjun  dogra  hood  design  and  putting  in  3  nos  of  the  65  watts  spiral  CFLs  and  2  nos  of  actinic  lights.  That  I  think  should  suffice  for  any  corals  given  your  tank  depth.  Let  the  experts  advice.  My  2  cents.

Live  sand-  the  newer  the  better.  Thumb Up  

Cheers,

Vijay.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: