24. Guest
25. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 28,883

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - The Chembarambakkam Chronicles
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

The Chembarambakkam Chronicles
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmvbab
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:09 pm Post subject: Re: The Chembarambakkam Chronicles Reply with quote

Thats  one  hell  of  a  long  list  in  such  a  short  trip  and  a  thoroughly  enjoyable  write  up...way  to  go  Balaji  :)

Very  nice  trip  and  a  befitting  way  to  end  it  Wink
rajuhb
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:18 pm Post subject: Re: The Chembarambakkam Chronicles Reply with quote

beautiful  collection   Thumb Up
Shovelnose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:11 pm Post subject: Re: The Chembarambakkam Chronicles Reply with quote

Thanks  all  again.  The  total  recorded  species  count  for  the  lake  is  64  (more  or  less)  and  we  shall  keep  haunting  the  place  until  we  collect  'em  all.

We  also  found  a  nice  spot  for  sitting  down  and  lazing  around.  Good  enough  to  hold  our  monthly  meetings  which  should  ideally  start  again  now  that  Prasoon  has  come  outta  hibernation.  A  small  collection  trip  followed  by  some  meaty  munchies  while  discussing  the  catch  and  other  hobby  related  matters  should  be  good  fun.  

If  Rajeshwaran  is  reading  this  please  note  that  we  found  an  AC  fast  food  that  served  awesome  biryani     and  maybe  Rosa  Poo  Idhazh  Parotta  very  close  to  the  collection  spot.If  this  is  not  lure  enough  to  make  him  take  a  break  from  his  6  month  long  honeymoon  I  dono  what  is.
Marc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:52 pm Post subject: Re: The Chembarambakkam Chronicles Reply with quote

Shankar  wrote  (View  Post):                
Bad  teaser  shot  of  the  Badis.  Almost  looks  like  Butis.  :P

Herps  collected  /  noted  list?                

A  few  herps  we  saw.  An  Olive  keelback,  a  few  Calotes  and  a  few  Sitana.  This  was  the  olive  keelback  Chimmy  missed  during  his  first  try.
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:54 am Post subject: Re: The Chembarambakkam Chronicles Reply with quote

Thanks  Marc!  Guess  the  Chelas  are  doing  good.
submerge
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:28 am Post subject: Re: The Chembarambakkam Chronicles Reply with quote

Quote:                

Prasoon  entered  the  water  here  and  he  sunk  in.  Really,  truly  and  seriously.  he  just  kept  sinking  and  thats  when  he  realised  he  needed  to  go  on  a  diet.  Awesome  timing.  
 Any  others  I  missed???  

Should  have  got  that  message  in  Kaluveli  :)

Looks  like  you  guys  had  a  fun  time...
joevimal
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:40 pm Post subject: Re: The Chembarambakkam Chronicles Reply with quote

any  pictures  of  fishes  after   settled  in  tank  esp  badis  and  hemichromis
Shovelnose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 pm Post subject: Re: The Chembarambakkam Chronicles Reply with quote

No  Hemichromis  were  bought  back.  All  the  Badis  are  with  Prasoon.
Shovelnose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:16 pm Post subject: Re: The Chembarambakkam Chronicles Reply with quote

And  so  it  continues................

Another  hastily  planned  trip.  This  time  with  more  participation  (all  credits  to  death  threats).  The  members  who  went  on  this  trip  were  :  

Marcus
 Chime
 Prasoon
 Bala
 Shankar
 Sai
 Usaid  (A  colleague)
 Me

After  a  botched  attempt  to  collect  the  Horadandia  atukorali  last  time  around,  we  were  determined  to  collect  some  of  these  insignificantly  tiny  schooling  fish.  Marcus  has  collected  'em  one  one  occasion  but  the  same  spot  yielded  none  during  the  last  trip.

Were  we  successful  in  collecting  'em???  What  strategies  did  we  use???  What  pains  did  we  experience???  How  did  we  feel  at  the  end???

The  answers  to  these  will  be  revealed...........................................................................................

Right  below  here  :  

No  we  didn  collect  those  damn  things  this  time  around  too.
 Strategies???  Did  you  actually  fall  for  that???
 Pain  yes.  A  few  thorns  in  the  wrong  places.
 Well  a  bunch  of  dolts  would  perfectly  sum  up  the  answer  to  the  last  question.

But  I  digress.  Back  to  the  trip  now.

We  left  as  2  groups  as  Bala  and  Shankar  had  to  leave  early.  So  twas  Prasoon,Sai,  Usaid  and  myself  in  Prasoons  bumpyridensis  and  Bala  and  Shankar  in  Bala's  car.  5:00  Am  was  the  planned  departures.  But  really  now.  Twas  a  Saturday  and  everyone  knows  what  bachelors  do  on  Friday  nights  (or  on  most  weekdays  too)  and  how  they  crawl  on  all  fours  to  reach  home  from  the  bar.  So  it  eventually  became  5:30  Am.

We  met  at  the  Guindy  railway  station  and  proceeded  from  there  to  the  first  spot.

Tequila  Sunrise  (though  Beer  Sunrise  would  be  a  more  apt  title  cos  thats  what  the  car  was  reeking  of)

L-R  :  Usaid,Me,  Someones  head,  Prasoon  (notice  how  Prasoon  has  an  inbuilt  stand  for  his  hands  in  the  belly  region)  and  Marcus

A  scene  from  the  first  spot.

I  was  on  Shutter  Island.

Chime

Not  a  very  yielding  spot.  The  most  impressive  catch  here  was  a  baby  Macrognathus  pancalus.

Thats  one  pissed  off  eel.

With  nothing  else  very  exciting  collected  here,  we  decided  to  move  on  to  another  spot.
 This  is  the  spot  that  made  Prasoon  realise  he  needed  to  go  on  a  diet  the  last  time.  Now  it  made  Bala  do  the  same  thing  except  in  a  manner  that  was  way  funnier.  Thats  right.  He  slipped  and  fell  but  the  studious  guy  he  is,  he  saved  the  bag  of  shirmps  from  certain  death  by  clinging  onto  it.

Valliseneria  (???)

Notice  how  the  right  side  of  Bala's  tee  looks  darker????  Guess  why????

This  is  where  Sai  wiped  off  Shrimps  from  the  map.  Both  Red  Nose  and  Wood  hrimps  were  collected  here  in  significant  numbers  and  are  ready  to  go  on  the  Red  List.

All  the  collecting  and  falling  down  and  splashing  and  laughing  had  made  everyone  ravenous.  

I  have  to  thank  Marcus  for  bringing  breakfast  again  this  time.  Marcus  we  enjoy  your  food  so  much  and  cos  we  are  quite  cheap  we  have  decided  none  of  us  will  bring  anything  edible  henceforth.  All  the  omelette's  and  bread  loaves  are  on  you.  

After  a  sumptuous  breakfast  of  bread  omlette's,cake  and  bananas,  we  realized  we  had  come  on  a  collection  trip  and  forced  ourself  back  on  our  feet  and  headed  to  the  second  spot.

A  peek  at  a  fisherman's  catch  en  route  revealed  this  :  

Mystus  Sp.

Etroplus  maculatus

Glossogobius  giuris

Hyporamphus  limbatus  (????)

Notopterus  notopterus

Osteobrama  cotio

Salmostoma  Sp.

Prasoon  Id'ed  this  as  a  Pelican.  He  s  still  refusing  to  share  which  angle  he  was  looking  from.

The  next  spot  was  Thandal  which  is  bout  8  Kms  away.This  spot  was  the  best  in  tems  of  species  collected.  More  importantly,  Bala  fell  down  again.

A  few  pics  of  the  spot.

We  had  to  navigate  a  45  degree  slope  to  reach  the  spot.  Not  the  easiest  when  looking  at  the  body  size  and  shape  of  the  participants.  An  innovative  approach  adopted  by  me  was  scorned  upon  by  the  others.The  losers.  

Not  the  most  dignified  method  but  quite  effective  I  should  say.

Star  catches  from  this  spot  include  some  amazingly  coloured  Colisa  lalia,  Puntius  sharmai  and  Puntius  gelius.

But  all  this  paled  in  comparison  to  this  bugger  :  

Some  ID's  were  discussed  but  I  remember  none  of  'em.  All  I  remember  is  that  they  can  bite  quite  well.  He  came  with  a  part  of  his  shell  broken.  Im  guessing  one  of  us  stepped  on  him  inadvertently.  Now  I  know  of  only  1  person  in  the  group  who's  mass  could  inflict   such  damage.  Im  not  revealing  the  name.  Lets  call  him  The  Turtle  Crusher  (although  his  real  name  is  Prasoon  Nair).

A  part  of  the  catch.

Since  we  were  yet  to  collect  the  H.atukorali,  we  called  The  Barilius  Tormentor  for  directions  as  he  had  collected  'em  from  a  nearby  place  a  few  months  ago.

Note  To  Barilius   Tormentor  :  If  you  are  reading  this,we  spent  2  hours,3  packs  of  cigarettes,8  ltrs  of  petrol  and  an  entire  vocabulary  of  well  rehearsed  cuss  words  belonging  to  various  dialects  following  your  directions.

Outta  desperation,  we  even  resorted  to  asking  the  locals  for  any  "Kuttai's"  (the  Tamil  word  for  heavily  polluted  water  bodies  with  an  astounding  ensemble  of  life  threatening  communicable  diseases)  they  knew  of.

All  optimism  faded  with  the  increasing  heat.  Even  talks  of  a  cold  beer  werent  motivating  enough.  A  final  spot  was  chosen.

I  forgot  to  mention  initially  that  Marcus  bought  along  his  cast  net  to  try  out  at  places  where  other  nets  couldn  do  much  damage.Proved  exceptionally  useful  at  stagnant  water  bodies.

The  final  spot.

Last  few  gleams  of  hope.

We  collected  bout  30  Badis  badis  from  this  spot.  Some  of  'em  had  awesome  colouration.  But  strangely,  twas  a  not  too  well  known  species  that  made  my  day.  The  Parambassis  lala.  Amazing  colouration.  A  really  beautiful  species  I  hope  to  bring  back  the  next  time.  I  didn  have  any  tanks  suited  for  'em.  

For  the  Channa  guys.  Bout  8  Channa  punctata  were  collected  eventually  in  a  span  of  10  mins.

Getting  ready  to  cast  away.

With  no  hope  left,  we  decided  to  call  it  a  day  at  around  3:00  Pm.  Everyone  was  tired  and  thirsty.  A  small  detour  for  water  changes  and  we  were  on  our  way  back  to  lead  our  miserable  non  atukorali  existences.

Not  so  fast.  Dont  jump  to  conclusions.  A  few  cold  beers  later,  those  fish  were  a  things  of  a  distant,  long  lost,  forgotten  past.

Ps  :  We  had  Biryani  too.  With  Prawns  and  all.  (I  really  and  sincerely  hope  Rajeshwaran  reads  this  part).

Take  Outs   :  

1)  We  definitely  need  to  take  out  a  few  atukorali  from  the  lake  the  next  time.  

2)  We  need  to  find  a  better  liquor  store.  

3)  Couldn  think  of  anything  else  to  add.

4)  Same  as  above.

The  list  of  species  collected  /  spotted  :  

1.  Puntius  chola
 2.  P.  sophore
 3.  P.  dorsalis
 4.  P.  sharmai
 5.  P.  gelius
 6.  P.  orphoides
 7.  P.  ticto
 8.  P.  conchonius
 9.  Parambassis  lala
 10.  Chanda  nama
 11.  Oryzias  dancena
 12.  Gambusia  affinis
 13.  Aplocheilus  parvus
 14.  Macrognathus  pancalus
 15.  Badis  badis
 16.  Rasbora  cauverii
 17.  Rasbora  daniconius
 18.  Etroplus  maculatus
 19.  Oreochromis  mossambicus
 20.  Trichogaster  lalius
 21.  Pterygoplichthys  juv.
 22.  Esomus  danricus
 23.  Esomus  barbatus
 24.  Pseudosphromenus  cupanus
 25.  Mystus  c.f.  bleekeri
 26.  Mystus  vittatus
 27.  Amblypharyngodon  microlepis
 28.  A.  mola
 29.  Lepidocephalus  thermalis
 30.  L.  guntea
 31.  Channa  punctata
 32.  Salmostoma  clupeoides
 33.  Neotropius  athernoides
 34.  Osteobrama  cotio
 35.  Hyphoramphus  limbatus
 36.  Glossogobius  giuris
 37.  Notopterus  notopterus

Anything  I  missed???

To  part  with,  a  picture  of  the  fish  Prasoon  has  recently  murdered  :  

Puntius  gelius

Oops.  Forgot  to  add.  Trip  happened  last  Saturday.  (17th  July  '10)
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:48 pm Post subject: Re: The Chembarambakkam Chronicles Reply with quote

very  cool  Balaji!
joevimal
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:44 pm Post subject: Re: The Chembarambakkam Chronicles Reply with quote

nice  trip   Thumb Up   inspirational  one  any  pics  of  p.sharmai
Marc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:06 pm Post subject: Re: The Chembarambakkam Chronicles Reply with quote

Excellent  trip  it  was.  Hope  to  have  more  such  trips.  Cool  writup  by  Balaji.
alpha91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:15 pm Post subject: Re: The Chembarambakkam Chronicles Reply with quote

Awesome  trip  guys!  
 Balaji,  i  am  a  huge  fan  of  your  write  ups.   Chuckle  
 Hope  to  do  a  trip  someday  with  you  enthusiastic  chennai  people!
Prasoon
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:15 pm Post subject: Re: The Chembarambakkam Chronicles Reply with quote

Mark:  Thanks  again  for  your  guidance  and  the  omletts!  Hope  we  catch  some  snakes  next  time.  

Balaji  :  Excellent  write  up!  
 On  the  dead  Puntius,  I  would  like  to  Kick  your's  and  Sai's  A**,  for  the  demo  you  guys  did  while  packing  the  poor  things.  Both  the  puntius  reached  my  home  with  no  water  in  the  cover  Wall Bang  

By  the  way,  my  oscar's  asked  me  to  pass  on  a  "thank-you"  note  for  the  catfish  you  gave  me.  Next  time  they  want  bigger  ones.

Shankar,  Bala,  Sai,  Mark,  Chini  :  Do  you  guys  have  any  clue  on  the  undescribed  species  which  Sai  managed  to  click?   Chuckle  

Vimal:  Got  some  not  so  good  pics  of  P.sharmai  taken  just  after  the  trip.

Regards
 Prasoon
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:25 pm Post subject: Re: The Chembarambakkam Chronicles Reply with quote

i  love  the  pics.  i  loved  the  snake  and  the  turtle
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: