66. Guest
67. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,795

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inix
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:53 pm Post subject: The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats) Reply with quote

The  fish  and  the  pebbles

It  was  my  wife's  birthday  on  15th  and  we  decided  to  go  on  a  little  trip.  Some  of  her  friends  had  recently  gone  to  Tamhini  ghats  and  passed  on  some  good  reviews  about  it.  Googled  it  and  found  out  it’s  about  70km  from  pune  and  its  right  after  Mulshi.  It  being  close  to  a  dam  and  me  seeing  countless  pictures  of  streams  and  waterfalls  on  the  net,  asked  her  if  I  could  pickup  some  pebbles  along  the  way,  with  her  saying  yes  it  all  began...

We  started  around  1,  that's  the  earliest  we  could  wake  up  and  surprisingly  it  wasn't  that  sunny,  almost  a  perfect  day  for  a  bike  ride.  We  took  the  exit  from  Chandni  Chowk  (pune),  the  roads  where  not  that  bad.  After  about  20k  there  was  nothing  but  endless  stretches  of  greens.  Green,  green,  green  and  more  green...  peace.  As  soon  as  we  neared  mulshi  we  hit  a  significant  amount  of  traffic,  but  it  was  easy  to  get  past  them  on  the  bike.  After  stopping  for  lunch  we  rode  another  15k  when  we  could  see  the  lake.  A  massive  waterbed  surrounded  by  mountains.  And  lots  of  falls  and  streams  on  the  left  side  of  the  road  were  connected  to  the  lake  through  little  bridges.  Since  it  was  a  weekend  the  good  spots  with  little  streams  and  waterfalls  where  crowded  with  families  setting  up  picnics  and  the  level  patches  of  green  where  filled  with  locals  celebrating  their  freedom  -  beer,  loud  music  and  dancing!  So  we  moved  on  further  along  the  road.  
  My  wife  then  spotted  a  small  stream  with  an  easy  access  from  the  road.  There  was  a  small  opening  to  a  platform  close  to  the  stream  and  a  nice  easy  slope.  Parked  and  went  to  the  stream.  The  length  of  the  stream  was  about  150  mts,  from  the  road  to  the  lake.  The  water  was  crystal  clear  and  the  surrounding  was  very  clean,  no  plastic  in  sight.  

The  part  about  the  fish:
  The  entire  stretch  of  the  stream  all  we  saw  was  dead  fish  some  in  groups  of  10s  and  20s  in  all  sizes.  It  looked  like  someone  carried  a  bucket  of  dead  fish  and  sprinkled  it  all  along  the  stream,  a  very  sad  sight.  I  could  see  lots  of  water  plants  growing  in  small  pools;  the  stream  formed  which  seemed  perfectly  fine.  I  really  could  not  understand  why  a  healthy,  un-littered,  moss  covered  stream  had  dead  fish.  After  a  complete  search,  I  only  found  a  couple  of  fishes  and  some  really  small  shrimps  among  dead  shrimps  (wish  I  had  something  to  scoop  them  to  a  safer  place).  Very  disturbed  we  left  the  place.

After  the  incident  we  didn’t  stop  anywhere  till  we  reached  the  ghats.  It  was  a  beautiful  stretch  of  road,  peaceful,  relatively  secluded  especially  after  leaving  the  crowd  in  Mulshi  Lake.  There  were  plenty  of  waterfalls,  stretches  of  barren  land  and  sudden  encasing  of  the  jungle  I  kept  slowly  cruising  past  all  of  them,  a  remarkable  place.  A  must  visit  for  people  who  enjoy  riding  in  ghats.  We  turned  back  after  sometime.  On  the  way  back  before  we  hit  the  noise  of  Mulshi  we  came  across  a  little  bridge  and  decided  to  take  a  break  (we  had  to  somewhere  right!  plus  our  ass's  where  very  sore).

The  pebble  bit:
  We  got  off  the  little  bridge  and  found  a  hidden  way  down  to  the  stream.  It  was  a  beautiful  stretch  of  pebble-bed  which  held  the  stream.  The  water  comes  through  the  bridge  in  huge  cement  pipes  and  formed  couple  of  ponds  before  trickling  into  a  stream.  This  place  was  a  little  slice  of  heaven,  very  quiet  except  for  the  stream.  And  I  was  happy  to  see  a  lot  of  fish  (alive).   We  spent  the  next  10  to  15  mins  selecting  pebbles  and  driftwood.   Contented  with  what  we  saw  we  left  home  happy,  peaceful  and  with  a  bag  full  of  pebbles.

Here  are  some  pictures  to  ease  up  the  long  read.
ajeesh
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:56 pm Post subject: Re: The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats) Reply with quote

Hey  where  are  the  pics?
inix
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:58 pm Post subject: Re: The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats) Reply with quote

give  me  a  sec  dude  uploading...
inix
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:00 pm Post subject: Re: The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats) Reply with quote

From  Chandini  Chowk  to  Tamhini.

A  view  of  the  lake

The  stream

the  starting  and  the  end  of  the  stream  where  it  joins  back  to  the  lake  ...  that's  me  there  looking  for  fish...  

the  fish...  

more...  i  don't  want  to  disgust  you  with  more  pics  of  them  

inix
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:12 pm Post subject: Re: The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats) Reply with quote

fairly  good  roads...

the  pipe  where  it  starts  from  and  the  stream

the  way  we  came  in  through  the  trees

that's  my  wife  there  searching  for  some  driftwood.   Very Happy  

one  of  the  ponds  with  lots  of  sucker's...  can't  really  see  any  in  the  pic

and  a  nice  shot  of  the  stream

i  am  very  sorry  that,  i  really  can't  ID  any  of  the  fish,  but  willbe  definitely  going  back  with  knowledgeable  IAHans(i  hope)  
 will  post  lots  of  pics  of  the  pebbles,  the  only  driftwood  we  found  and  the  thankful  fish.

have  fun  reading
 peace
alpha91

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:42 pm Post subject: Re: The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats) Reply with quote

Hi  Inigo!  
 Nice  trip  there!Tamhini  has  awesome  bikable  roads  Smile  
 Really  sad  to  know  about  the  dead  fish.  Thats  the  first  time  i  have  seen  something  like  that  in  the  Mulshi-Tamhini  region!  Sad
 There  is  a  nice  spot  from  the  Y  junction  at  Mulshi,  if  you  go  the  other  way  from  Tamhini.  Although  i  doubt  whether  it  could  be  fish-able  in  the  monsoons!

Would  be  great  if  you  join  the  IAH  Pune  team  on  any  probable  future  trip  Smile
inix
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:03 pm Post subject: Re: The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats) Reply with quote

thanks  a  lot  man.  
 would  love  to  join  you  guys  on  a  trip.  and  i  am  dying  to  go  back  there  again.  

peace
random2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:51 pm Post subject: Re: The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats) Reply with quote

Beautiful  snaps.  And  sad  to  know  about  the  dead  fishes.  Use  of  pesticides  might  be  one  of  the  reasons  (cannot  be  sure  though).
Lawrenze
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:00 pm Post subject: Re: The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats) Reply with quote

Nice  writeup  and  great  pics,  man  Thumbs Up  and  I  guess  theres  no  way  in  the  world  that  you  could  ever  forget  your  wifes  birthday  Chuckle  
 Cheers
adesh8028
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:04 pm Post subject: Re: The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats) Reply with quote

nice  writeup  and  good  snaps.

fellow  pune  IAHians  lets  plan  for  tamhini  this  weekend  as  it  is  not  raining  this  time.  Shubhankar,  abhijit,  abhiram  what  say?
inix
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:06 pm Post subject: Re: The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats) Reply with quote

and  if  that's  not  enough  they  named  her  Freeda  with  a  double  E.  Damn!!
inix
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:08 pm Post subject: Re: The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats) Reply with quote

@  adesh  

i  am  game  buddy...   Thumb Up
alpha91

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:16 pm Post subject: Re: The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats) Reply with quote

Game.Set.Match.

There  is  just  one  hitch.  My  results  will  be  out  tomorrow.  Razz   
 A  lot  depnds  on  what  happens  tomorrow  Very Happy
adesh8028
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:56 pm Post subject: Re: The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats) Reply with quote

All  d  best  buddy   Thumb Up  ...I  am  not  sure  about  your  track  records  but  this  time  you  will  be  able  to  make  it  Wink
humaid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:07 am Post subject: Re: The fish and the pebbles (15th Aug - Tamhini ghats) Reply with quote

adesh8028  wrote  (View  Post):                

nice  writeup  and  good  snaps.

fellow  pune  IAHians  lets  plan  for  tamhini  this  weekend  as  it  is  not  raining  this  time.  Shubhankar,  abhijit,  abhiram  what  say?

Tahmini  won't  be  good.  We  could  try  the  bridge  place  shubhankar  has  mentioned.  It  has  some  nice  killies.  But  for  that  we  should  wait  for  another  month  or  so.

This  week  end,  may  be  we  could  try  Garade.  Plenty  of  Loaches  n  Garra  there,  And  Shrimps  too.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: