139. Guest
140. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,484

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Championship Discus features
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Championship Discus features

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:21 pm Post subject: Championship Discus features Reply with quote

Hello  friends,
 We  have  all  marvelled  at  the  photos  &  videos  of  trully  royal  discusses  at  championships(malaysia,singapore,etc)!And  then  there  are  the  grand  champions!
 Wondering  what  the  qualities  are,  that  separate  the  best  from  the  good!
 What  do  the  judges  look  for  in  a  particular  specimen?
 Swarnendu
adesh8028
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:03 pm Post subject: Re: Championship Discus features Reply with quote

Hi  Swarendu,

Check  following  thread  on  Simplydiscus.

Simply  discus

Regards,
 Adesh
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:02 am Post subject: Re: Championship Discus features Reply with quote

Hi  Adesh,
 Thanks  for  the  excellent  thread  link!  Clapping  
 What  I  can  make  out  of  it  is  that  the  following  points  are  taken  into  account  while  judging  a  discus>
 1.Eyes
 2.Shape
 3.Pattern
 4.Lack  of  blemishes
 5.Strain
 6.Finnage
 7.Roundness
 8.Coloration
 9.Body  
 10.Presentation
 I  would  suggest  that  we  start  a  thread  where  we  can  all  submit  our  discus  snaps  and  get  them  rated  by  our  own  discus  gurus!
 Let  me  know  your  opinion!
 Swarnendu
adesh8028
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:41 am Post subject: Re: Championship Discus features Reply with quote

Swarendu,  from  above  points  the  presentation  is  not  considered  in  professional  championship.  Presentation  is  added  for  rating  a  discus  when  judges  are  not  physically  present  to  see  the  discus.  I  feel  the  presentation  point  is  totally  a  skill  of  photographer  and  not  the  discus.

About  having  a  thread  where  our  discus  gurus  will  rate  the  discus,  I'm  not  sure  if  they  will  get  time  to  rate  it  from  their  busy  schedule.  But  it  is  a  nice  idea.
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:54 pm Post subject: Re: Championship Discus features Reply with quote

We  can  always  get  in  touch  with  them  &  request  them  to  spare  at  least  half  an  hour  a  week  to  make  the  judgements!Lets  say  Sunday  should  be  the  judgement  day  for  entries  of  a  particular  week!
 Knowing  the  rating  of  your  pet  is  surely  a  feel  good  factor  for  hobbyists!
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:09 pm Post subject: Re: Championship Discus features Reply with quote

As  per  I  know  when  there  any  Discus  Championship,  Judges  are  giving  their  points  on  following  criteria:

>  Size

>  Shape

>  Pattern

>  Colour

as  per  I  remember....I  will  give  u  more  info  next  week.

But  about  size  I  am  sure  if  u  r  Discus  is  more  than  6"  u  will  get  full  mark  in  "SIZE"  criteria.(This  I  came  to  know  from  Discus  Championship  in  Singapore.

Categorires  are  depend  on  various  Championship.  Like  ,

in  "International  Aquaristic  and  Discus  Fair  in  Naples  -  Italy"  there  are  12  categories.  As  follows  :

1-  Striped  Turquoise
 2-  Turquiose  Solid
 3-  Red  Solid
 4-  Spotted
 5-  Spotted  Fine  Line
 6-  Snake  Skin
 7-  Pigeon
 8-  Open  Class
 9-  Wild  Hekel
 10-  Wild  Green
 11-  Wild  Blue
 12-  Wild  Brown

After  that  they  divided  in  4  category.  As  Follows  :

These  are  the  final  categoryes  for  our  Championship.

Category:

First  Group

Wild  caught  &  Wild  Caught  Breeding  forms:
 1  Heckel
 2  Brown
 3  Green
 4  Blu

Second  Group

Forms  of  European  Breeding:
 5  Striped  Tourquoise
 6  Red  Tourquoise
 7  Solid  Blu
 8  Solid  Red

Third  Group

Forms  of  Asian  Breeding:
 9  Pigeon  Blood  Solid
 10  Pigeon  Blood  Striati  e  Patterned
 11  Red  Spotted
 12  Red  Spotted  Snake  Skin

Fourth  Group

13  Unclassifiable  Forms
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:29 pm Post subject: Re: Championship Discus features Reply with quote

Thanks  Abhida  for  the  extensive  info!  Thumb Up  
 Was  pretty  much  amazed  at  the  6"  size  factor!I  always  had  the  notion  that  you  earn  more  points  with  bigger  discus.Then  what  is  the  point  in  pumping  up  discus  with  power  feeds  &  crazy  number  of  water  changes?
 Swarnendu
Yogesh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:29 pm Post subject: Re: Championship Discus features Reply with quote

Mr.Carey  Pereira  &  Mr.  Vispy  Mistry  were  judges  for  Discus  Competition  organized  in  Mumbai  earlier  this  year.
 Both  legends  have  tremendous  experience  with  Discus  and  are  known  as  seniormost  personalities  of  Indian  discus  world.
 Picture  of  both  Discus  Gurus  at  Sanjeevan  Discus  Show  2010.

aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:54 pm Post subject: Re: Championship Discus features Reply with quote

Hi  Yogesh,
 It  was  a  pleasure  to  see  our  very  own  beloved  Shivada  win  the  competition!
 I  believe  it  would  be  next  to  impossible  to  persuade  Mr  Pereira  or  Mr  Mistry  to  judge  discusses  of  our  members,  or  is  it?
 I  would  suggest  a  period  of  say  a  week  within  which  we  shall  have  to  submit  our  discus  photos  after  which  it  would  be  a  one  time  exercise  for  our  respected  judges  to  rate  the  discusses!
 If  the  senior  masters  do  not  agree,maybe  Shivada  or  you  can  do  us  the  favour!
 Swarnendu
Yogesh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:22 pm Post subject: Re: Championship Discus features Reply with quote

Hi  Swarnendu

Discus  competition  as  per  categories  listed  above,  has  to  be  in  physical  form  (real  life  competition).
 Mr.  Mistry  may  not  be  IAH  member.  Also  Mr.  Carey  do  not  surf  IAH  on  a  regular  basis  (I  randomly  meet  him  quite  a  few  times  &  torture  him  with  the  same  question  about  his  absence  from  IAH  Chuckle  ).  

You  are  mentioning  about  starting  of  a  new  thread  to  post  discus  snaps,  it  would  be  termed  as  'Discus  Photo  Competition'.  And  as  Adesh  pointed  out,  pictures  would  merely  be  rated  on  photographer's  skills  more  than  anything  else.  Also  there  would  be  minor  hitches;  say  for  example  for  Red  Spotted  category.  Discus  may  have  good  uniform  spotting  pattern  on  one  side,  but  the  other  side  spotting  pattern  may  be  incomplete  or  uneven.  Such  discus  maybe  rated  higher  for  its  best  side  being  clicked  for  photo  competition,  but  same  discus  maybe  rated  lower  in  real  life  competition  for  its  lesser  side.  Similarly,  best  quality  discus  may  look  ordinary  in  photo  and  vice-versa.

You  are  most  welcomed  to  initiate  Discus  photo  thread,  we  can  have  people  post  their  discus  snaps.  For  rating,  we  can  have  voting  poll  by  the  people  themselves.  But  category-wise  discus  photo  competition  is  something,  don't  seem  practical  to  me.
adesh8028
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 am Post subject: Re: Championship Discus features Reply with quote

Yogesh,

What  I  believe,  even  if  it  is  not  possible  for  us  to  have  Carrey  and  Vispy  judging  our  discus  we  can  appoint  someone  who  will  help  out  to  rate  the  discus  according  to  the  pictures.  There  will  not  be  any  championship  or  competition  as  such,  however  each  discus  enthusiast  will  come  to  know  where  does  his  discus  stand.

Judges  can  also  refuse  to  rate  the  discus  if  picture  quality  is  bad  or  discus  size  is  not  sufficient  enough  to  rate  it.  This  will  bring  more  awareness  amongst  the  hobbyists  and  would  prevent  them  to  buy  low  quality  discus  (from  whatever  source).

I  hope,  I'm  clear  on  the  motive  and  the  process  of  rating  the  discus.
prats
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:40 pm Post subject: Re: Championship Discus features Reply with quote

i  second  Mr.  adesh
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: